45 acp? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp?

Fire_Medic
10-25-2010, 20:13
Ok so I FINALLY own a G21 SF! :supergrin:

I have always LOVED the way it shoots but never owned one. Figured it's about damn time.

Anyhow, I am considering venturing back into lead since it works so well in 45 ACP, and wondering if the Glocks reliably feed 200gr LSWC?

Also has anyone used WSF in 45 ACP? I know WST is a better choice but I have 8# WSF that I bought for full power 9mm (and love it) and wondering if it works well in 45. If not I'll be using my Solo 1K again, I much prefer it in 45 over 9mm.

Thanks for your input :wavey:

GioaJack
10-25-2010, 20:18
Sorry, have no idea about the 21 but my 30 wouldn't feed SWC's, even with a LW barrel. The geometry of the feed ramp just isn't conducive to that design.

Had to buy a 225 grain RN mould just for the Glock, only .45 I've ever owned that wouldn't feed a SWC.

The 21 may be different. Good luck.

Jack

Fire_Medic
10-25-2010, 20:23
Sorry, have no idea about the 21 but my 30 wouldn't feed SWC's, even with a LW barrel. The geometry of the feed ramp just isn't conducive to that design.

Had to buy a 225 grain RN mould just for the Glock, only .45 I've ever owned that wouldn't feed a SWC.

The 21 may be different. Good luck.

Jack

Thanks brother, I thought it was you who's post I read on that a long time ago but wasn't sure.

Did you try any other barrel or just the LW?

n2extrm
10-25-2010, 20:23
I have used WSF and WST in 45 with FMJs. Both powders work well in 45 with the edge going to WST.

Don't load lead except for the revolvers.

Boxerglocker
10-25-2010, 20:28

I have always LOVED the way it shoots but never owned one. Figured it's about damn time.

Anyhow, I am considering venturing back into lead since it works so well in 45 ACP, and wondering if the Glocks reliably feed 200gr LSWC?

Also has anyone used WSF in 45 ACP? I know WST is a better choice but I have 8# WSF that I bought for full power 9mm (and love it) and wondering if it works well in 45. If not I'll be using my Solo 1K again, I much prefer it in 45 over 9mm.

Is there a gun Glock or otherwise you haven't owned at one point or another Brother?! :rofl:

All kidding aside LSWC in a glock are pretty much just a formula for frustration, stock or aftermarket barrel. Stick with RN, I'm loading the Bear Creek Moly's and Rainers in 200g with WST myself. Look over on BE for some .45 loads with Solo, hear alot of guys have moved over to it and it's the new in big bore powder.

If you find any good .45 loads with Solo drop me a line, thinking about ordering 8# more myself for both 9mm and .45ACP.

Fire_Medic
10-25-2010, 20:31
Is there a gun Glock or otherwise you haven't owned at one point or another Brother?! :rofl:

All kidding aside LSWC in a glock are pretty much just a formula for frustration, stock or aftermarket barrel. Stick with RN, I'm loading the Bear Creek Moly's and Rainers in 200g with WST myself. Look over on BE for some .45 loads with Solo, hear alot of guys have moved over to it and it's the new in big bore powder.

If you find any good .45 loads with Solo drop me a line, thinking about ordering 8# more myself for both 9mm and .45ACP.

I have never owned a G21 :tongueout:......until now. I just didn't want back to 40SW and wanted something bigger than a 9mm.

I have to dig up my old loads for the 45 I was using with Berry's in the past with Solo 1K I had a nice load dialed in with my old 1911's. When I find it I'll drop you a pm.

A note on the solo 1K, in "My" experience, this powder in 9mm produced light feeling loads, but in 45 ACP my loads were stout, I liked it though.

GioaJack
10-25-2010, 20:34
Medic:

Just the stock barrel and the LW... wouldn't feed even after I had them re-throat it although it worked a 'little' better.

It was just easier to go to a RN design. Pretty much a safe queen anyway, just can't seem to warm up to them plastic guns... keep expecting water to start leaking out of the barrel. :whistling:

Jack

Zombie Steve
10-25-2010, 21:51
Stick with round nose bullets.

WSF is great in the .45 auto, but I think better suited to full power loads. Regardless, it will work for range / target loads.

Congrats on the new Glock.

fredj338
10-25-2010, 22:27

WSF is great in the .45 auto, but I think better suited to full power loads. Regardless, it will work for range / target loads.

I have to agree, WSF is a good powder for full power to +P loads, but like most medium burners, not at it's best running off the top end. I had a friends G21 running pretty well w/ 200grLSWC, but not so for a G36, so YMMV. A plated TC or RN is going to be 100%.

hamburger
10-25-2010, 23:02
What are some of the things that happen using "bad" factory ammo?

Fire_Medic
10-26-2010, 05:42

I like shooting full power loads anyhow, the light stuff is tactical classes, and the wife at the range. :supergrin:

Thanks for the input. The full power 9mm loads with WSF have been great thus far using MG projectiles.

gforester
10-26-2010, 07:51
Medic,
I've used BBI 200 gr. SWC's in both a G30 and G21SF without any feeding problems. I didn't keep either gun long enough to run a lot of ammo but never had a misfeed with several mags through each. I loaded the bullets to an OAL of 1.255", same as I loaded for my H&K's.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2010, 08:31
I would guess a SWC in a Glock "could" require a stout load to work properly. Slide velocity would play a bigger part in how the swc behaves were as a RN is going to behave about the same with most resonalbe slide velocities.

Fire_Medic
10-26-2010, 14:58
Medic,
I've used BBI 200 gr. SWC's in both a G30 and G21SF without any feeding problems. I didn't keep either gun long enough to run a lot of ammo but never had a misfeed with several mags through each. I loaded the bullets to an OAL of 1.255", same as I loaded for my H&K's.

I helped a friend setup his Dillon 650 today and we loaded about 20 rounds of Berry's plated 200gr SWC to an OAL of 1.225" with Winchester LP primers and 4.1 gr of Clay's and they ran fine out of my G21 SF. /first 20 rounds out of my gun, nice soft load, and no issues at all.

Is the problem with the lead SWC that the lead might be too soft from some bullets? Or not enough power in the load?

:dunno:

fredj338
10-26-2010, 15:23
I helped a friend setup his Dillon 650 today and we loaded about 20 rounds of Berry's plated 200gr SWC to an OAL of 1.225" with Winchester LP primers and 4.1 gr of Clay's and they ran fine out of my G21 SF. /first 20 rounds out of my gun, nice soft load, and no issues at all.

Is the problem with the lead SWC that the lead might be too soft from some bullets? Or not enough power in the load?

:dunno:
No, it's more the sharp shoulder of most LSWC. Plated ones have a radiused shoulder, they often feed fine.

frankt
10-26-2010, 15:38
My G30 will not reliably feed coated SWC bullets such as Billy Bullets. It will hang on the feed ramp 3 out of 10 times.
My G21 will shoot them all day long with never a problem.

Hard to figure!

gforester
10-26-2010, 16:07
Could be the more rounded shoulders on a plated one that lets it feed easily. The BBI's are moly coated and also have a more rounded shoulder than a plain lead SWC. I used a light load of 4.8 grains W231 for very soft recoil yet still had positive functioning.

cole
10-26-2010, 20:36
No, it's more the sharp shoulder of most LSWC. Plated ones have a radiused shoulder, they often feed fine.

I agree. There are "sharp edge" LSWC and "rounded edge" SWC. The more rounded, the less sharp the better.

Sonnytoo
10-26-2010, 21:04

Note: Below is all in a Glock G36.
Just got back from the range. My 200gr SWC's would not eject about 1 of every 4 rounds. The fired case-head would stop on the edge of the SWC that sticks out of the next case about 1/32". Without a doubt, each time the same. Others report the same problem with SWC's in Glocks.

My Rainier plated .45 Auto, 230gr RN, 5.1gr W231, 0.470" crimp, 1.235" C.O.L. ran just fine; all fifty I'd loaded. I had ten that had only 1.215" C.O.L., and they ran fine also, but I think the 1.235" is a better load. I did not chronograph these yet.

These are not quite as hot as some Winchester SUPREME ELITE PDX1, 20 rounds/box, 230gr JHP Bonded ammo, C.O.L. 1.215", (PERSONAL PROTECTION) that I was trying out.

I believe that some books give 1.250" as C.O.L., and my commercial Federal Champion 230gr FMJ RN measure 1.265", for reference.
My Winchester 50-round WHITEBOX 230gr JHP PERSONAL PROTECTION rounds have a 1.210" C.O.L. Again, this load is hollowpoints, so is shorter.
The above rounds with Rainier 230 RN’s fired fine from my G36. You use this data at your own risk, which is the common disclaimer message.Sonnytoo

ilgunguygt
10-26-2010, 21:49
I have had good success shooting LSWC in my g21, but I switched to Missouri Bullet Co. 230 LRN. I like it in all my 45s. I load mine over 5.5gr of AA#2. Good accuracy and minimal leading.

Gunnut 45/454
10-26-2010, 22:46
GioaJack
That's why I love my Rugers there like Mickey they eat everything!! Haven't found a bullet they will not shoot!:rofl:

gforester
10-27-2010, 06:23
Note: Below is all in a Glock G36.
Just got back from the range. My 200gr SWC's would not eject about 1 of every 4 rounds. The fired case-head would stop on the edge of the SWC that sticks out of the next case about 1/32". Without a doubt, each time the same. Others report the same problem with SWC's in Glocks...

Perhaps the fact that a G36 is a single stack and the G30 and G21 are double stack mags makes a difference?

dsmw5142
10-27-2010, 06:36
I've never had luck with SWC's in a Glock. The 170gr LSWC's work ok in my G35, but every 30 or 40 rounds one will hang on the ramp and the gun needs a whack on the mag base to get running again.

My favorite load for my G21's is a 230gr BBI with 4.3gr of Solo 1000 for 169pf. Super soft.... super accurate.

GioaJack
10-27-2010, 09:55
GioaJack
That's why I love my Rugers there like Mickey they eat everything!! Haven't found a bullet they will not shoot!:rofl:

Have never owned a .45 that wouldn't feed everything reliably, the G30 is the first one... of course it's the first non-1911 platform .45 I've ever tried.

Costly mistake.

Jack

ColCol
10-29-2010, 10:20
Just for the heck of it, I had some old 200 gr LSWC's I reloaded with Unique years ago and tried some out in my S&W 457-fed like they were made for each other.

I don't have a Glock in 45 yet but I was told years back by an IPSC shooter to seat the bullet with an OAL of 1.240" and it worked great in the S&W and Colt Commander I had at the time. The OAL has a lot to do with this particular bullet feeding or not in any pistol so, I'd vary the length a bit and see if that helps. The Glock with an after market barrel such as LW should work as well as any.

Might I add that I did try some LSWC's in the G23 and they feed great as well. I didn't shoot but a dozen or so but no problem.

HAMMERHEAD
10-29-2010, 17:09
My 2nd gen G-21 would feed 200 grain SWC's @ 1.270"(plated and jacketed) with a 10 round magazine, but the 13 rounder would cause nose dives and the plated bullets would get cut and stop the round from fully chambering. I imagine lead would have the same trouble.

Sigs and HKs feed SWC's without complaint.

tac_driver
10-29-2010, 17:39
I shot thousands of LSWC's out of my Glock 21SF with LoneWolf Barrel, seat the bullets to 1.250 (MidStates H&G 68 style) I was Loading to power factor of 170 with Bullseye.