A new conundrum! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A new conundrum!

davesretired1
10-25-2010, 23:48
Ok.... I read the earlier post on the SD or 550 question. I have to add a new wrinkle to that ( goes with all my others ). My wife has decided that she wants to start shooting again along with CCW training ( she bought a carry purse at the gun show at Cardinals Stadium last weekend. Gotta love AZ ). She really likes either the G19 or G26, and is a good shot with them. I figure the more practice she has, the less chance there is of just wounding me.

The question is....we'll need to start reloading 9mm. I currently have a 550 set up for .45ACP. I don't have any extra parts for a conversion. So......do I buy all the parts necessary for the 550 for 9mm, or buy a SD for her to use for 9mm. I don't load rifle, but if I ever do, I have my existing press for that. I'm leaning towards a seperate press for her as that way neither one of us has to bother the other to change one press over. Would make a nifty Xmas present! I'm heading over to Dillons Thursday to take a closer look at the SD, but I would welcome any comments.

Boxerglocker
10-26-2010, 00:09
The cost of a set of dies, conversion and extra toolhead for a 550 is about $130. Your gonna have to switch the primer feeder slide from large to small primers to load the 9mm. In addition unless you spend more and get a complete quick change you'll need to empty the powder drop or convert to a powder that will work for both calibers.

Personally, for the convenience I would go the SDB route. I have owned 2 similtaneously one in 9mm the other set up in .45ACP and I never regreted it until my round count vwent up to a point to sell the 9mm SDB and get a XL650 with case feeder. I keep the .45ACP set-up as is and occassionally switch it out to load .380ACP, load 500 to 600 rounds and switch back. It takes me about 10 minutes to do so with a spare toolhead already set up and a complete spare primer assy in small.

Having a dedicated press for 2 of your favorite calibers is a nice thing to have. I have to admit since getting the XL650 the idea of getting another set-up in large and just switching the casefeeder over has crossed my mind, though there is no way to justify that as I already have the SDB and only shoot 500 rounds of .45ACP a month.

I think the idea of getting the wife her own press is a great idea BTW. :supergrin:

shotgunred
10-26-2010, 04:56
It takes less than 5 minutes to change calibers in the 550. You just get a second tool head and powder die plus the caliber conversion.

tlafrance
10-26-2010, 05:15
Ask Gail if they have any refurbished SDB machines in back. Years ago they used to sell them to locals who walked in and knew enough to ask. Don't know if they still do, but you can save a bunch of $$ that way :-)

Tom

Boxerglocker
10-26-2010, 07:09
It takes less than 5 minutes to change calibers in the 550. You just get a second tool head and powder die plus the caliber conversion.

Mike, less than 5 minutes for 9mm to .40S&W I can believe using the same powder...

but to remove the powder drop, dump the powder, swap toolheads, install the powder drop, swap out the shell plate (clean lube and whatever your gonna do while you got it off anyways), swap out the large primer slide to small primer, refill the powder drop then adjust???

Less than 5 minutes for a .45ACP to 9mm swap???? Hard pressed to beleive that. :dunno:

ron59
10-26-2010, 07:22
Mike, less than 5 minutes for 9mm to .45ACP I can believe using the same powder...

but to remove the powder drop, dump the powder, swap toolheads, install the powder drop, swap out the shell plate (clean lube and whatever your gonna do while you got it off anyways), swap out the large primer slide to small primer, refill the powder drop then adjust???

Less than 5 minutes for a .45ACP to 9mm swap???? Hard pressed to beleive that. :dunno:

Pay a little extra for a COMPLETE TOOLHEAD SWAP (with powder measure, etc. installed). That's probably what I would do. If I'm going to go from 9mm to .45ACP, I want to just plug and go (the primer setup will be the most complicated?). But for the toolhead, I want all the dies installed, and a separate powder measure pre-installed. Oh yeah.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2010, 07:37
It sounds like you want your wife to load her own ammo. If that is the case I would get the SDB just to keep things simple for everyone. I think for someone who is interested in reloading as a hobby the 550 is a "nicer" press. But, for someone who is wanting to just load some ammo the SDB is a better choice in some ways. "Nicer" is from a size and options perspective. They both make fine ammo so in that way they are the same.

Boxerglocker
10-26-2010, 08:18
Pay a little extra for a COMPLETE TOOLHEAD SWAP (with powder measure, etc. installed). That's probably what I would do. If I'm going to go from 9mm to .45ACP, I want to just plug and go (the primer setup will be the most complicated?). But for the toolhead, I want all the dies installed, and a separate powder measure pre-installed. Oh yeah.

$97 for the quick change, $43 for the caliber conversion and $62 for the dies your looking at $200 plus shipping roughly and still have to deal with the primer slide switch from large to small (I agree Ron the most complicated and PITA part of it IMHO).

It sounds like you want your wife to load her own ammo. If that is the case I would get the SDB just to keep things simple for everyone. I think for someone who is interested in reloading as a hobby the 550 is a "nicer" press. But, for someone who is wanting to just load some ammo the SDB is a better choice in some ways. "Nicer" is from a size and options perspective. They both make fine ammo so in that way they are the same.

I agree... plus its nice to have a dedicated press for one caliber on the bench, even better to have two! :supergrin:

ron59
10-26-2010, 08:45
$97 for the quick change, $43 for the caliber conversion and $62 for the dies your looking at $200 plus shipping roughly and still have to deal with the primer slide switch from large to small (I agree Ron the most complicated and PITA part of it IMHO).

$200 sounds like a lot... but then again $1000 (or whatever) sounds like a lot for a press. There was another thread where we discussed how much you save on reloading... that $200 would be taken care of it VERY short order. The savings on reloading .45 is much greater than 9mm, for example.

For me, there's also the time involved in the swapout. Yeah, it'll cost me a few dollars, but it would great simply the process, and make it faster.

I have way more room to store additional toolheads, than I do bench space for an extra press (or more). I can see having a toolhead for 9mm, .45ACP, and .40. And .380 if I go that route. I won't have room for 4 presses.

I can see 3 presses though. A 650/1050 dedicated to 9mm. My 550B for .45, .40, .380, etc (with dedicated toolheads for each). Then a single stage like Jack just bought for rifle.

Boxerglocker
10-26-2010, 08:54
$200 sounds like a lot... but then again $1000 (or whatever) sounds like a lot for a press. There was another thread where we discussed how much you save on reloading... that $200 would be taken care of it VERY short order. The savings on reloading .45 is much greater than 9mm, for example.

For me, there's also the time involved in the swapout. Yeah, it'll cost me a few dollars, but it would great simply the process, and make it faster.

I have way more room to store additional toolheads, than I do bench space for an extra press (or more). I can see having a toolhead for 9mm, .45ACP, and .40. And .380 if I go that route. I won't have room for 4 presses.

I can see 3 presses though. A 650/1050 dedicated to 9mm. My 550B for .45, .40, .380, etc (with dedicated toolheads for each). Then a single stage like Jack just bought for rifle.

Just putting it out there, but I tell you what I would do if I was the OP. One of the following options:

1.) Go the 550 quick change route with a complete primer assy set up for small primers.

2.) Find a used SDB set up for 9mm, I have purchased the ones I have owned for less than $200 nett after deals trading and selling toolheads.

3.) Buy another 550B, set it up for small primers.

4.) If I could justfy the round count (he is gonna be shooting with the wife so probably more) get a XL650 set-up for the caliber I shoot the most of and set the 550B for the other.

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2010, 09:43
Stop shooting the .45. Get a .40 Cal version of the same gun.

550 caliber converison on .40 to 9mm is simple. Replace the buttons, the funnel and thats it. Quick change toolhead would have it done in 15 secs. Even with out it you can do it really fast. You will save money on bullets as well. Everthing is SP primer now as well.

Boxerglocker
10-26-2010, 10:05
Stop shooting the .45. Get a .40 Cal version of the same gun.

550 caliber converison on .40 to 9mm is simple. Replace the buttons, the funnel and thats it. Quick change toolhead would have it done in 15 secs. Even with out it you can do it really fast. You will save money on bullets as well. Everthing is SP primer now as well.

Or get some .45ACP small primer brass :supergrin:

Steve same shellplate for 9mm as the .40 on a 550B???

GioaJack
10-26-2010, 10:36
I guess my nightly meds haven't quite worn off yet this morning because I'm failing to see the problem or reason for all this discussion.

Let me see if I've got this straight. You have a wife, (okay, there's a downside in every situation but we'll work with what we have), who has her own gun, likes to shoot, enthusiastically wants to CCW and wants to load her own ammo. (Is there any more room in the Heaven you live in?)

You have this golden opportunity to buy a new press without causing any spousal discontent what-so-ever which when looked at logically kills two birds with one stone... solves your Christmas gift buying decision AND in reality provides you with a new toy without any real or perceived guilt.

I am failing to see the problem here. If anything I would be taking these few remaining weeks prior to Christmas and educating her on the Features, Advantages and Benefits of owning her very own 1050. Good God man, your wife allows you to tell people that you're the King of the Castle, take advantage of the false power!

I suppose if she told you she wanted you to take her shopping at Victoria's Secret you'd try to convince her you'd rather spend the money on a new Weed Whacker.

I just don't know what this world is coming to? :dunno:

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-26-2010, 10:39
I guess my nightly meds haven't quite worn off yet this morning because I'm failing to see the problem or reason for all this discussion.

Let me see if I've got this straight. You have a wife, (okay, there's a downside in every situation but we'll work with what we have), who has her own gun, likes to shoot, enthusiastically wants to CCW and wants to load her own ammo. (Is there any more room in the Heaven you live in?)

You have this golden opportunity to buy a new press without causing any spousal discontent what-so-ever which when looked at logically kills two birds with one stone... solves your Christmas gift buying decision AND in reality provides you with a new toy without any real or perceived guilt.

I am failing to see the problem here. If anything I would be taking these few remaining weeks prior to Christmas and educating her on the Features, Advantages and Benefits of owning her very own 1050. Good God man, your wife allows you to tell people that you're the King of the Castle, take advantage of the false power!

I suppose if she told you she wanted you to take her shopping at Victoria's Secret you'd try to convince her you'd rather spend the money on a new Weed Whacker.

Jack

:rofl: This is what I really wanted to say!

Colorado4Wheel
10-26-2010, 10:40
Or get some .45ACP small primer brass :supergrin:

Steve same shellplate for 9mm as the .40 on a 550B???

Yep, thats why the .40/9mm is so attractive for the 550. To convert you

1) Replace buttons
2) Remove and replace powder measure to new toolhead (proper funnel on other toolhead).
3) Adjust powder measure. Get the Uniquetek micrometer and even this is easy.

Your done.

EL_NinO619
10-26-2010, 11:36

Jack

:rofl:You are to much..Made my day..:embarassed:

fredj338
10-26-2010, 13:37
If you money is not an issue, then sure, get the SDB. I hate switching over, so ran two 550B for along while, onbe large priemr, one small. Then it takes less than 5min to caliber swap, just side in the tool head & dump & refill the powder measure.

shotgunred
10-26-2010, 14:19
Yep, thats why the .40/9mm is so attractive for the 550. To convert you

1) Replace buttons
2) Remove and replace powder measure to new toolhead (proper funnel on other toolhead).
3) Adjust powder measure. Get the Uniquetek micrometer and even this is easy.

Your done.

I even found some powder combination's were you don't even have to change the powder throw. But as long as you use the same powder it doesn't take anytime to switch over and keep going.

davesretired1
10-26-2010, 14:34

Jack

Once again Jack you are the wind beneath my wings :rofl:. Unless Dillon has a refurbished one on hand, I think I'll be getting a new SD for her. God Bless mature women and Social Security checks. Dave

shotgunred
10-26-2010, 14:44
Have you got her opinion on getting an "appliance" for Christmas? While a new loader would be a cool Christmas present for a guy it might not fly so well with a woman. Has she shown any interest in reloading or your press?
My wife likes to shoot but there is about as much chance she will load ammo as her mowing the lawn or fix a leaking sink.

PCJim
10-26-2010, 15:40
Jack is right, as always. I'll throw this option out there - get her a 550 instead of the SDB. Keep your 550 set for large primers, hers for small. Toolhead swaps are truly less than 30 seconds.

mogollon
10-28-2010, 13:01
Dillon has not sold any used or refurbished loaders for quite some time. We get so few, we reserve them for instances when we need to replace a customers machine due to tragic circumstance.

Boxerglocker
10-28-2010, 13:36
:ROFL: I was just discussing this thread with my GF Amy... asked her if she would like reloading press for Xmas as the OP is debating... she said "What for? I already have a XL650 with casefeeder in 9mm and an operator to go with it :supergrin:"
I think I screwed up even mentioning it, she's starting to get ideas of a new 9mm for Xmas now, eyeing my EMP9 and commenting on how much she likes to shoot it :faint:

davesretired1
10-28-2010, 22:13
Well I went to Dillons today. Gail confirmed that they do not handle any used or refurbished presses. Said they can't compete with E-Bay on prices. Took a look at the Square Deal. Somewhat different sequence in the cycle, and probably a little tight for my fat fingers, BUT looks just about right for my Honey! I did pick up that rolling basket brass picker-upper thingy. Went home and threw some brass on the ground and tried it out......my back and knees are still thanking me!

GioaJack
10-29-2010, 08:38
Well I went to Dillons today. Gail confirmed that they do not handle any used or refurbished presses. Said they can't compete with E-Bay on prices. Took a look at the Square Deal. Somewhat different sequence in the cycle, and probably a little tight for my fat fingers, BUT looks just about right for my Honey! I did pick up that rolling basket brass picker-upper thingy. Went home and threw some brass on the ground and tried it out......my back and knees are still thanking me!

If you had utilized the wizardry of the forum search feature you would have found a product review on the Brass Wizard and not had to rely on the sometimes less than truthful sales pitch of a loyal, yet possibly commission based employee.

Boy, there's only one thing worse than a forum newb... that's an 'old forum newb'.

BTW... what are you doing on the computer at 10 PM, shouldn't your Metamucil have kicked in right about now? :whistling:

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/photo-4-1.jpg?1288362674

Jack

shotgunred
10-29-2010, 18:13
So jack how does that thing work on gravel?

I bet it picks up gravel just fine.

shotgunred
10-29-2010, 18:20
Well I went to Dillons today. Gail confirmed that they do not handle any used or refurbished presses. Said they can't compete with E-Bay on prices. Took a look at the Square Deal. Somewhat different sequence in the cycle, and probably a little tight for my fat fingers, BUT looks just about right for my Honey!

You had better throw in a couple of gift cards to Victoria's Secret in that box or you will be sleeping in the Garage with the presses.

GioaJack
10-29-2010, 18:33
So jack how does that thing work on gravel?

I bet it picks up gravel just fine.

Pretty much depends on the size of the gravel. If it's small it just falls through the tines like sand or .22 cases. If it's a bit bigger then naturally it'll pick 'em up but it's surprising how few actually do. Bigger gravel isn't a concern for picking up but the cases tend to hide between them. Sneaky little creatures.

You had better throw in a couple of gift cards to Victoria's Secret in that box or you will be sleeping in the Garage with the presses.

Have you considered the possibility that she might prefer toiling over a loading press than being trapped in a closed room with him while he lusts over her Victoria's Secret adorned body.

My money is sayin' she'd rather have the press. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
10-29-2010, 19:05
I even found some powder combination's were you don't even have to change the powder throw. But as long as you use the same powder it doesn't take anytime to switch over and keep going.

Winner!!

I can load 9mm, 38Spl, and 40SW with the same powder charge. 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a light load for all three or 5.2 Unique for a full load for all three. I'm sure comparable loads with similar powders would work well too. The same small amount of Tightgroup or the same medium dose of HS6 etc.

davesretired1
10-29-2010, 20:45
There's a forum search feature????? Knew I've been staying up to late!:shocked:

davesretired1
10-29-2010, 20:47
Pretty much depends on the size of the gravel. If it's small it just falls through the tines like sand or .22 cases. If it's a bit bigger then naturally it'll pick 'em up but it's surprising how few actually do. Bigger gravel isn't a concern for picking up but the cases tend to hide between them. Sneaky little creatures.

Have you considered the possibility that she might prefer toiling over a loading press than being trapped in a closed room with him while he lusts over her Victoria's Secret adorned body.

My money is sayin' she'd rather have the press. :whistling:

Jack

HEY! I resemble that remark!!