First bow turkey [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First bow turkey

havensal
10-26-2010, 18:28
I just got back into bow hunting this year after a few years of not having enough time.

I picket up a Bear Charge. I am using Muzzy MX3's.

I've made it out a couple of times, but haven't seen any bone yet.

I decided to move one of my trail cams yesterday. I figured there is no reason to be in the woods unarmed. :supergrin:

I sat down and listened for a while. I called a little but heard nothing.

After about 10 minutes I called again. The response was the nastiest yelp I have ever heard.

It took over an hour for the birds to move within sight. It was another half hour or so before the largest of the flock made it into the open.

I took the shot at 25 yards. Hit a little high, but just about cut the neck in half. :cool:

I have missed a couple of turkeys in the past, but not this one.

This is also the first turkey I scalded and plucked. We'll see Friday if it was worth it to pluck instead of skin.

GeorgiaRedfish
10-26-2010, 18:53
Congrats. Never been a turkey hunter, but I should try.

Two_Clicks
10-26-2010, 19:16
Congrats!

thejellster05
10-26-2010, 20:17
Congrats! this is my first year for turkey and I "talked" to a group of hens yesterday and now im hooked! Cant wait to get my first one! (maybe tomorrow) ohh and props for using a bow, I'm starting off with a 12 gauge.

havensal
10-27-2010, 07:14
Congrats! this is my first year for turkey and I "talked" to a group of hens yesterday and now im hooked! Cant wait to get my first one! (maybe tomorrow) ohh and props for using a bow, I'm starting off with a 12 gauge.

Normally I would use my 12ga. One of the great things about hunting deer with a bow is that you can also hunt turkeys at the same time. :supergrin:

CC Glock
10-27-2010, 08:18
In all my years of hunting i have only got to sling one arrow at a turkey, they bust me every freaking time. I have never been "True" turkey hunting though, i just always see them while im in the stand.

noway
10-27-2010, 08:55
Congrats

That's on my list todo, but turkeys don't come up to close during spring turkey and the vegation. Did you use any blind or camo umbrella?

havensal
10-27-2010, 12:36
Congrats

That's on my list todo, but turkeys don't come up to close during spring turkey and the vegation. Did you use any blind or camo umbrella?

No. I just sat on the ground up against a tree. The ferns helped a little, but mostly just sit still and wait.

noway
10-27-2010, 12:55
No. I just sat on the ground up against a tree. The ferns helped a little, but mostly just sit still and wait.

I envy you. At shotgun ranges, I still don't feel comfortable shoot a Tom behind cover much less doing it with a bow and having more movement.

I'm guessing if your sitting on the ground, your using a compound?

nyredneck
10-27-2010, 19:42
:needspics:

Congrats!!:cool: