Ruger LCR 357 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR 357

Chup
10-26-2010, 19:05
I have 200 rounds of 125 G. 357 JHP through my LCR 357. The Tamer Grip makes the Gun easy to handle and follow up shots were a breeze to make. It's also easy to make accurate shots One or Two handed. This has become my new Back Up\ Pocket Gun. Now I can carry my SP101 IWB and my LCR in the off hand pocket. Ten rounds of 357 and Two Guns that make it no problem to shoot. I feel protected.:2gun:

Glockdude1
10-26-2010, 19:06
Pics?

:cool:

Chup
10-27-2010, 15:38
It's a LCR there are pictures all over the place. I'm sort of computer illiterate. I'm lucky to get this far.

datnvan
10-27-2010, 15:46
pics if thats not the stock grip

Chup
10-29-2010, 09:42
Stock Grip

Two Guns
11-06-2010, 20:30
I have a LCR in 38 special.I hope to have one in 357 by years end.

Ak.Hiker
11-07-2010, 23:59
What 125 grain 357 Magnum load were you shooting? Did you have any problem with bullet pull under recoil?

Steve 48
11-08-2010, 10:47
If they come out in 357, I'll buy one.

Chup
11-08-2010, 18:50
With some reloads I did have a few bullets work their way out. So far none of the factory stuff had a problem. All loads I shot were 125 Grain 357. I think my friend shot some 110 grain.

Glockdude1
11-08-2010, 19:19
If they come out in 357, I'll buy one.

The new Ruger revolver is a .357.

:cool:

Ak.Hiker
11-08-2010, 23:24
With some reloads I did have a few bullets work their way out. So far none of the factory stuff had a problem. All loads I shot were 125 Grain 357. I think my friend shot some 110 grain.

If you are talking full power 125 grain JHP loads like the Federal that is quite impressive. I would be tempted to try the mid range Remington Golden Saber 125 grain as well.

Drew78
11-09-2010, 10:10
I have 200 rounds of 125 Grain 357 JHP through my LCR 357. The Tamer Grip makes the Gun easy to handle and follow up shots were a breeze to make. It's also easy to make accurate shots One or Two handed. This has become my new Back Up\ Pocket Gun. Now I can carry my SP101 IWB and my LCR in the off hand pocket. Ten rounds of 357 and Two Guns that make it no problem to shoot. I feel protected.:2gun:

I agree!!!

I too have the LCR in .357 and it is quite manageble... with the right load :whistling:

I can handle any of the moderate mag loadings without any problems. Full house 125's are a bit hefty to say the least!

Great platform!

-Drew

Narkcop
11-10-2010, 20:01
I have 2 .38 spl LCR's. I want one of the new .357's now.

den888
11-14-2010, 23:07
I'd say you are well protected !

Flashy2003
12-05-2010, 09:05
I have the lcr 38 +p. Its my backup gun. And while im not a small guy or a limp wristed shooter. I dont think I would even want to shoot the 357. The 38 in that light package is plenty for me.

Chup
12-08-2010, 14:16
The 357 is a few oz. heavier. It also has the Tamer Grip making 125G. HP 357 painless to shoot and follow up shots are fast and accurate

dugo
12-09-2010, 19:14
Wife got a .38 LCR, and likes it (especially the trigger), but the recoil is not pleasant for her, even with mild .38's. So how does that extra 4 ounces on the .357 LCR change felt recoil, if you are using the same ammo? In other words, how does the .357 gun feel, compared to the .38 gun, shooting the same .38 rounds?

So, thinking of getting the .357 to shoot .38's out of, for softer recoil: carrying aside, does it make sense? ... OR, is the difference in recoil not significant?

I know it is subjective; but if you have shot .38's in both, what did you think? And if so, did they have the same grips on both guns?

(Uh, ...oh yeah ...if the .357 turns out to be better for her, guess I would have to help her out by taking care of that .38 .... :embarassed:)

Chup
12-10-2010, 18:55
First I would buy the Tamer Grip from Ruger. One of our Customers did and liked it much better. Second do not use heavy bullet weight. Practice with standard 38 spl. at 135 grains and lighter. For self defence use +P 135 grains or lighter. Let her shoot a few of the +P loads to make sure they are not too hot for her. If she can handle a few of them she will never feel the recoil in a stress situation. I did shoot standard 38s through my LCR 357 by mistake. I was so surprised it felt like I was shooting a 22. If by chance she was shooting 158 grain bullets, they are just too heavy for the light weight guns. I like shooting 357 snubs but, I don't like 158 grain bullets they slap your hand and hurt.

dugo
12-13-2010, 08:42
Thanks for the good ideas, Chup. I did some thinking and experimenting before having my wife try it out, so I had it pretty much set it up before hand for the best conditions I could. The grips do indeed make a noticeable difference, and I also found some standard pressure 110 gr rounds that have soft recoil, but should open up well enough (in theory, at least). Will probably switch to plus-p for defense, as you suggested.

That the .38 LCR worked for my wife is a tribute to Ruger for having made a gun which was so light, yet is pretty easy to handle. Indeed, it is the only airweight which has worked for her out of the box.

Your experience with standard .38's in the .357 LCR may be exactly what I was looking for. The extra four ounces (over the .38 LCR) should not effect carry much. If you find it shoots that lightly, then maybe it justifies getting the .357 just to launch .38's. Thanks.

Has anybody else shot .38's out of both guns?

Drew78
12-13-2010, 09:59
Thanks for the good ideas, Chup. I did some thinking and experimenting before having my wife try it out, so I had it pretty much set it up before hand for the best conditions I could. The grips do indeed make a noticeable difference, and I also found some standard pressure 110 gr rounds that have soft recoil, but should open up well enough (in theory, at least). Will probably switch to plus-p for defense, as you suggested.

That the .38 LCR worked for my wife is a tribute to Ruger for having made a gun which was so light, yet is pretty easy to handle. Indeed, it is the only airweight which has worked for her out of the box.

Your experience with standard .38's in the .357 LCR may be exactly what I was looking for. The extra four ounces (over the .38 LCR) should not effect carry much. If you find it shoots that lightly, then maybe it justifies getting the .357 just to launch .38's. Thanks.

Has anybody else shot .38's out of both guns?

I have LCR's in both .38 and .357; both have the same CTC grip on them. The Tamer didnt fit my hand well... Shooting .38's out of the LCR .357 is SO much easier compared to the same load out of the LCR .38. I know that 4oz isnt a lot, but it does make a difference in my hands.

Best of luck!

dugo
12-14-2010, 06:11
Oh, gosh. I was afraid of that. Now I guess I will have to put on my shopping hat and go out there in the cold and get one. Oh, well ... (Tough job, but somebody has to do it, right? ... :upeyes:)

Seriously, thanks, guys, for the value of your experience. Now I am looking forward to a gun which is still light and easy to conceal, still has a great trigger, and is even more comfortable to shoot. I am already impressed with the LCR in .38, and expect to be even more so with the .357! :dancingbanana:

Oh wait ... uh ... I mean my wife, of course ... I know SHE will be happy with it ...
but ... I hope she will let me shoot it ... if she is in a good mood ... :embarassed:

SuperSleuth
12-28-2010, 16:05
A couple of quick questions.

First, have you had any issues trying to conceal the LCR with the Tamer grips, i.e., difficulty drawing from a pocket or your covering garment clinging to the grip?

Second, for those of you who own both the .38 and .357 LCRs, is there any difference in holster fit? Some of the holster makers I'm interested in getting holsters from only list the .38, but I'm leaning towards the .357.

dugo
12-29-2010, 18:39
Supersleuth, hope folks here will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the external dimensions are the same for both the .38 and the .357. The only noticeable difference seems to be that the metal part of the .357 frame is steel, where it is aluminum on the .38, making the 4 oz. difference in weight.

For me, I have had no difficulties concealing the Tamer grips when carrying, but usually carry with the laser-grips. The lasergrips are smaller than the Tamers, so they conceal just a little better, I guess. At the same time, they don't absorb recoil quite as well, but they still do a pretty good job with it.

There is a another small, more concealable grip available, included on a .38 model with a better front sight, or (I think) separately from Ruger. I imagine it would also not handle recoil quite as well as the Tamer, but on handling it in the shop it feels like it would still be fairly comfortable to shoot.

SuperSleuth
12-29-2010, 23:22
Thanks, dugo.

Glock 17L
12-30-2010, 01:13
Eagle now makes a secret service Grip for the Ruger LCR that looks very nice..
http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Ruger-LCR-Grips.html (http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Ruger-LCR-Grips.html)
http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/images/SSRLCR.jpg

SuperSleuth
12-30-2010, 01:49
If I end up getting the LCR I will definitely be trying a set of those. I had a 642 with the Eagle Secret Service stocks and I really liked them.

gdd363
01-01-2011, 21:39
I front pocket carry my .357 everyday and have minimal printing. I have no problem drawing with the Tamer grips and I use a Tuff Products Pocket-Roo holster that has never failed me. There is an extra pocket in the holster to carry a speed loader strip. But the pocket is too small for .357 ammo but fits .38 as it comes stock. I need to stretch it out or take out some stitching so I can fit in my .357s.

Ron3
02-05-2011, 21:59
I just thought I'd add that the general concensus here is right about both versions. (Like others here I have both)

The .38 is 4 oz lighter at 13.5. It really feels featherweight. The 17.1 oz .357 does feel more hefty, but it's still a light gun. Consider a Glock 26 is 22 oz with empty mag and a Ruger Sp-101 empty with 2.25 in barrel is 25 oz.

The .38 does carry better. Low recoil ammo like non-hot 110-130 gr bullets have only moderate recoil. Hot, light bullets have a little more but are not hard to shoot fast and accuratly. But when you get to 158 +p bullets recoil is more severe and stings a bit. It will slow you down a little shot to shot. It's sweet to carry though!

The .357 has a little extra heft but it's only 2 oz heavier than an alluminum j-frame S&W. But it pays off when you shoot it! Low recoil .38's are a pleasure to shoot. Even the 158 gr +p TMJ Lawman rounds I fired gave only moderate recoil and I could shoot them all day. Not so with the LCR .38.

.357 cartridges were easier to shoot than I thought they would be. Fed hi-shok 125 gr SJHP's painfully smack the hand. Not as bad a Scanduim S&W which risk real hand injury, but they wear you out quick. They slow you down but are just managable with both hands on the gun. But it still hurts. With one hand follow ups are slow. I didn't like them. Big fireball, too.

180 gr .357 Fed hi-shoks SJHP's were easier than the 125's. Less painfull smack, but more push up the arm and more muzzle rise. The muzzle rise becomes the problem and slows down follow ups. Firing them support-side hand only it's laughable the time between rounds, that muzzle really noses up! Doesn't hurt like the 125's though. The 125's shoot low, the 180's high. Sights are regulated for middle weight ammo.

I've had no bullet pull with either gun with any load. I have only used jacket bullets. Both are very accurate. I'd like bigger sights like X/S Big dots. Triggers are nice.

In unscientific tests of my own all bullets expanded, even the 180 gr SJHP. (Which is probobly only getting @900 fps from the short barrel) Some 147gr Hydra shoks shed some jacket even, but largely still held together.

My carry loads for both of these guns is the Federal 147 gr +p+ .38 Hydrashok. Shoots to point of aim, penetrates and has a fair chance of expansion with it's @900 fps velocity. Recoil is the heaviest of all the .38's I've fired. Not a big deal in the .357 but it snaps in the .38. Muzzle flash isn't an issue but I haven't fired them in really low light yet.

Sorry for the long post but thats been my experience with these pocket/backup guns. I highly reccomend them!

Chup
03-22-2011, 07:48
I have at least Ten box's of 147G +P+ 38 Hydra shock. Do you think this is a good defense load for a 2" gun? Have you herd of any shootings with it?

Ron3
03-30-2011, 23:10
I have at least Ten box's of 147G +P+ 38 Hydra shock. Do you think this is a good defense load for a 2" gun? Have you herd of any shootings with it?

I tested it in low light and checked expansion in water jugs.

I like it and keep it in the LCR .38. It expanded fine in my water jug test and hardly shed any jacket peices. It doesn't expand much mind you so it penetrates deep which is exactly what I want.

It does the most recoil of anything I've fired in the LCR .38 but it's not bad.

The only downside to it is it does not use low-flash powder so it makes a medium sized yellow/orange flash at night. Maybe intimidation for the BG getting shot at but bad for your night vision.

I think it's a great load, carry them!

As for shootings it was the load for a few federal agencies so I'm sure it's been in plenty of shootings. It's just a bullet and a handgun bullet at that not Thors hammer so plan accordingly!

MSW
04-09-2011, 19:07
Does anyone have a Ruger LCR in .357 with the "secret service" grips?

Also, does Criminson Trace make grips for the LCR .357? Anyone have these and like them.

I have a SW 642 with CT grips and like it.

I recently got a LCR .357 and am "grip shopping".

Open to any suggestions or comments.

I pocket carry it in a holster.

wrenrj1
04-09-2011, 19:28
I traded my LCR .38 last week for a hammerless SP 101. Too snappy for me with +P. I like the extra weight of the SP 101. I also carry a LCP which is point and shoot. The LCR just wasn't working for me. Still a RUGER fan though, and waiting to get my hands on an LC9.

ricklee4570
04-22-2011, 02:21
Personally, If I trade my LCR in .38 for an LCR in .357, Im gonna carry .357 loads in it for self defense. Doesnt make much sense to me to carry .38 loads in a .357

In a self defense situation, you wont notice recoil or probably even muzzle blast.

G19aps
04-22-2011, 14:14
In a self defense situation, you wont notice recoil or probably even muzzle blast.

Do you think you'd notice it when you are practicing with your carry load?

ricklee4570
04-24-2011, 08:15
With proper dry fire practice (using a laser) and practicing with lighter. 38's I will be very familiar with the weapon. Then when I train with full magnum loads I can do so more proficiently. Hopefully that means shooting less with full magnum loads.

Magnum loads may not be comfortable, but it is very comforting knowing you have a proven high stopping power load to defend your life with.

Check out some of the videos on youtube, there are a lot of proficient shooters on there that have no problem with the LCR in full power 357 loads.

Chup
04-25-2011, 17:27
125G JHP were no problem for my Friend and I when we bought ours. We all so tried a few Corbon DPX 357 rounds that were very controllable.

B-One
07-10-2012, 13:35
I did some testing on follow up shots with the .357 and the .38 and the results are here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19181745#post19181745

L Pete
07-10-2012, 14:32
Call me a Wuss, boys. The 158s in a SP-101 are barely manageable for me. After I've shot it, my scores go down for a couple of weeks afterwards, with my other guns. It takes a while to get them back where they belong.

I'll try some of the 125s in it. With the Hogue's, it may not be too bad.

Chup
07-10-2012, 15:03
Call me a Wuss, boys. The 158s in a SP-101 are barely manageable for me. After I've shot it, my scores go down for a couple of weeks afterwards, with my other guns. It takes a while to get them back where they belong.

I'll try some of the 125s in it. With the Hogue's, it may not be too bad. I don't like 158G. The 125G are better as far as recoil goes. I can shoot hotter loads out of my LCR357 than the SP101. I think it's the Tamer Grips on the LCR that help.