Need tips on how to store my shotgun for a long period of time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on how to store my shotgun for a long period of time

dc2integra
10-26-2010, 19:21
Im gonna store it for about a year.I have found some rust spots on it but i sprayed some rem oil on it and i check up on my guns regularly I cant imagine how it would look like after a year.I was told to leave it in a case and spray it with wd 40 and cover it with an old t shirt and soak that in wd 40.what do u guys think?

dc2integra
10-26-2010, 19:25
I know that storing it in a case atracts moisture but i dont have a safe yet

K.Kiser
10-26-2010, 19:29
As long as there aren't any fingerprints left on the weapon that haven't been wiped off with gun oil, you'll be fine for a year in a normal climate... I use Rem oil, and quite a few of my guns that stay at my parents house don't see the light of day for easily a year, and no signs of rust yet on any... Heck, until about 2 years ago all I used was WD-40 with perfect results... My father bought me an Remington 870 20 gauge when I was 7 years old (1983), and all it's had was WD-40 and doesn't have a single speck of rust anywhere on the gun inside or out... Keep the oil from your skin wiped off the metal and there's no problem...

byf43
10-26-2010, 20:51
The only long term storage experience I have, is when a good friend passed away, his wife wanted me to preserve his Remington 1100M, S&W mdl 25-5 (.45 Long Colt) and Remington 700 BDL, for their young son to have when he 'came of age'.

I disassembled and cleaned them with Hoppe's #9 and dried them with a clean, lint-free rag.
I saturated a rag with Break-Free CLP and wiped every metal surface and put a wet patch with CLP down each bore.
I left each surface 'wet' with the CLP.

I re-assembled them and placed each of them inside of a 'gun sock'.
As I re-assembled them, I wore jersey gloves so that I didn't contaminate the prepped metal with my sweat or oils, etc.

These arms were placed inside of a gun cabinet, in their bedroom closet.
That was 20+ years ago.
Ten years ago, when Rob came of age, we removed them from their storage place, and they looked new.

Good luck.

aippi
10-26-2010, 21:14
Like BYF43 said use a silcon treated gun sock for long term. Never a soft case as this can enhance rust. Clean it like he said, oil it down and sock it away. It will be there waiting for you.

southernshooter
10-27-2010, 04:37
Also, I would leave it with all springs relaxed, hammer down, mag empty.

CAcop
10-28-2010, 09:54
If in doubt, grease it up.