Video card advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Video card advice

Old School
10-26-2010, 20:34
I have a AGP slot on the motherboard and need a video card that can push 1920x1080 for a Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM. I'm not looking for a Cadillac solution, hopefully less than $100. Advice?

I'd rather not do HDMI because I already have a sound card and speakers (and I'd have to turn something off for the speakers on the monitor not to work). I guess I don't care if it's RGB or DVI. I suspect that DVI might be crisper, but I don't know if I can get an reasonably priced AGP card to push the 1920x1080 through DVI.

kc8ykd
10-26-2010, 23:38
you're in luck, generally, the older the technology (in this case, agp) the lower the price.

look at this list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007850&IsNodeId=1&name=AGP%204X%2f8X

and see if there's something that fits your price range. you can sort the list by reviews, price or ratings.

according to samsung, your monitor has a DVI connector and an HDMI connector along with a standard vga connector. when you're using a specific resolution, there isn't any difference between these transmission methods as far as 'crispness'. the resolution is the resolution is the resolution.

the cards listed in that link above will generally have a vga connector along with a DVI connector. you can use either one you want and the monitor should probably have come with a DVI and a VGA cable. the video card won't come with cables.

using either the DVI or VGA connections won't require you to make any changes to your sound settings at all.

one last thing, you should look at (or post) the make/model of your computer to determine what speed of agp slot is in it (either 4x or 8x). there's no sense in paying for an 8x card if your computer only has a 4x slot.

Old School
10-27-2010, 06:59
Thanks kc8ykd. I really appreciate that you took the time to look at the monitor specs before posting the reply. Clearly you take your advice seriously!

I'm currently running a NVIDIA FX 5200 and I updated the drivers from the NVIDIA web site and I can now select the max resolution for that monitor. Note that when I tried to have Windows update the driver through Device Manager, it told me that the driver was up to date. Lesson learned there.

I'm not doing any serious gaming or graphics intense work on this PC, so I'll probably stand pat with my current card. That is, unless there's something that I haven't thought about?

kc8ykd
10-27-2010, 08:58
no problem, i hate to see people potentially waste money on stuff they don't need, or isn't compatible :)

those windows drivers are pretty generic, for video cards they're there to give you basic windows functionality so you can get the manufacturer's drivers. what's that saying 'good at a lot of things, excellent at nothing' ?

i don't see any problems with your fx5200, that's a pretty decent card for it's age. since you're just going to be doing generic windows stuff with it, you shouldn't have any issues since you've got the latest mfgr's drivers now.

note, if your card has a second monitor port on it (there's a few different versions of that card), you can plug in a second monitor (doesn't have to be the same type or manufacturer as your samsung) and windows will allow you to use it as more desktop/work space. it's really pretty simple to setup. just plug in the monitor and activate it from the same screen where you set the resolution.

Markasaurus
10-27-2010, 09:30
try pricewatch.com and read the specs carefully before you buy. in my experience Returning electronics purchased by internet is a nightmare.

kc8ykd
10-27-2010, 10:07
actually, returning products to newegg is pretty painless.

you can actually request an rma online and print a ups return label off their website.

Ogreon
10-27-2010, 18:08
Note that when I tried to have Windows update the driver through Device Manager, it told me that the driver was up to date. Lesson learned there.

I believe Windows will only look for the latest WHQL certified driver. The video card makers usually don't go to the trouble and expense to have every new release certified. To get the latest you have to look for it yourself.