More Computer Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More Computer Problems

nathanours
10-27-2010, 11:39
Hey everyone, you may remember a thread I posted a couple weeks ago about a bad virus I had. Anyway, I thought I had gotten rid of it, but the computer started doing weird stuff again.

I have decided to just reinstall windows, but when I start the computer it just loads up to a black screen with the mouse on it, and no icons or taskbar or anything.

What can I do to fix this? I only want to be able to access my files to make sure everything is safely backed up (I think it is, I just want to double check).

ALSO: This computer used to be running Windows Vista, but the engineering department at college gave us free copies of 7 which is is running now.

My problem is, my 7 disc is burned, and I do not have the product key for it anymore. Is there a way you can go in control panel and see what your product key is so I can write it down to use when I reinstall the OS?

Thanks again

Nathan

filthy infidel
10-27-2010, 12:04
Hey everyone, you may remember a thread I posted a couple weeks ago about a bad virus I had. Anyway, I thought I had gotten rid of it, but the computer started doing weird stuff again.

I have decided to just reinstall windows, but when I start the computer it just loads up to a black screen with the mouse on it, and no icons or taskbar or anything.

What can I do to fix this? I only want to be able to access my files to make sure everything is safely backed up (I think it is, I just want to double check).

I overlooked your original problem, restart, start tapping 'F8' as soon as you see the BIOS splash screen, boot to 'safe mode without networking', and try to export your data asap.
ALSO: This computer used to be running Windows Vista, but the engineering department at college gave us free copies of 7 which is is running now.

My problem is, my 7 disc is burned, and I do not have the product key for it anymore. Is there a way you can go in control panel and see what your product key is so I can write it down to use when I reinstall the OS?

Thanks again

Nathan

You can download and use magicaljellybean or balarcadvisor to get the key, but it doesn't always work if your machine was loaded with an OEM disk. Is the sticker legible on the box? That's your best bet. You could try to reinstall Vista and see if you can upgrade to 7. If you get the reinstall done, ask back on how to avoid the malware. Did you grab your 'documents and settings', 'favorites', and 'desktop' files? Better move those off of the machine if you can first, otherwise they are gone.

nathanours
10-27-2010, 13:39
Right now, though, I cant even use the computer. I cant figure out how to get everything to stop loading as a pure black screen with only the mouse showing.

Even in safe mode it does this.

Drjones
10-27-2010, 16:10
Shut off the computer.

Hit the power button and immediately start pressing "F8" to get to the screen where you are given options to start into Safe Mode.

If you can't even do that, buy or borrow an external enclosure, pull your hard drive out, plug it into the enclosure and you can pull your files that way.

IndyGunFreak
10-27-2010, 16:39
If you can't even do that, buy or borrow an external enclosure, pull your hard drive out, plug it into the enclosure and you can pull your files that way.

But that doesn't solve the problem of getting his key off of his current install...

Ogreon
10-27-2010, 18:00
For future consideration:

After having similar problems I started keeping a list of all product keys on my hard drive and my backup. I keep the important installation discs in a little flipper case near the computer. One can also keep a printout of the list in the case.

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2010, 03:41

After having similar problems I started keeping a list of all product keys on my hard drive and my backup. I keep the important installation discs in a little flipper case near the computer. One can also keep a printout of the list in the case.

I don't need CD Keys anymore, but I do the same thing... I have a password protected file that has a lot of usernames/passwords for quite a few sites. Also has email addy's and passwords, IM handles and passwords, etc.. and in there, is my OEM XP key for my PC...

If I ever forgot the password to that file, I'd be in real trouble.. ;)

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
10-28-2010, 07:36

I don't need CD Keys anymore, but I do the same thing... I have a password protected file that has a lot of usernames/passwords for quite a few sites. Also has email addy's and passwords, IM handles and passwords, etc.. and in there, is my OEM XP key for my PC...

If I ever forgot the password to that file, I'd be in real trouble.. ;)

IGF

Same here ... I keep all my info in Excel spreadsheets.

Ralff
10-28-2010, 08:35
But that doesn't solve the problem of getting his key off of his current install...

Can't you pull the product key out of the registry?

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2010, 08:39
Can't you pull the product key out of the registry?

Isn't the registry on 7, encrypted? If he can't boot 7 to read it...

Everything I find regarding this, you have to boot 7 and run a Keyfinder. I've had good success w/ Keyfinders, but it's not going to help him at all.

IGF

nathanours
10-28-2010, 10:20
Well I can boot it in safe mode, but still all I see is where it says "safe mode" around the four corners and "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 6700)". There are still no icons, task bars, or anything on my screen. It's just black with those safemode markings. Right clicking doesn't even do anything.

I can hit ctrl alt del to access the task manager, and from that I ran Malwarebytes, but it found nothing on full scan even after being updated.

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2010, 11:36
Well I can boot it in safe mode, but still all I see is where it says "safe mode" around the four corners and "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) (Build 6700)". There are still no icons, task bars, or anything on my screen. It's just black with those safemode markings. Right clicking doesn't even do anything.

I can hit ctrl alt del to access the task manager, and from that I ran Malwarebytes, but it found nothing on full scan even after being updated.

How long did you let it sit before loading? You're getting Task Manager open, and you're getting Malware bytes to run, so the OS is loading...

Keep in mind, my Win 7-fu is weak.. but this works on XP, so I can only assume you can adapt this to Win 7. I'm pretty sure if you do the below, it will work.

On a working PC, download Produkey from here... http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-produkey/

Here's the homepage if you're interested, it says it works on all Win versions, including 7. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

On the working PC, extract the zip file, and put the Produkey.exe, on a thumb drive and connect the thumb drive

Boot safe mode, and let it load up as far as it will go
Open Task Manager

(now is where XP and 7 might differ)

In Task Manager, Click File Menu
Then "New Task (Run)"
Click the Browse Button
Browse to your thumb drive, and find the Produkey.exe and open it

You might get another window that says to click OK.. Click OK

You might get a window asking you if its a safe application to Run.. just click Run.

That *should* start Produkey... look at the output, and find your Win7 Product key, and record it exactly. Note, not the Product ID... Product Key. Also note this might show several product keys for software on the computer... so make sure you write down the right one.

Once you've recorded, checked, and double checked that it's right.

Restart and use the key to reinstall Win 7...

IGF

Markasaurus
10-28-2010, 13:46
i always write the product keys on the top of the disk, using a magic marker. never lost one yet.
dont put a sticker or something on there, just use a magic marker. A sticker will unbalance the disc and make it useless. better would be to use one of those dvd copier machines that burns your desired image on top of the disk.

nathanours
10-28-2010, 14:13
Hey thanks Indy, the product key puller worked. Well at least I think it did, it spit out a key that is the same length as my other Win 7 computer so it looks good. I'll just have to try it now.

Any idea on how to move files (music, docs, etc) to an external when it's in this weird state?

filthy infidel
10-28-2010, 16:06
To get your icons, try ctrl-alt-delete, and you'l have task manager. Under file, select 'run', and type "explore.exe" without the quotes.

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2010, 16:28
Hey thanks Indy, the product key puller worked. Well at least I think it did, it spit out a key that is the same length as my other Win 7 computer so it looks good. I'll just have to try it now.

Any idea on how to move files (music, docs, etc) to an external when it's in this weird state?

I'd boot an Ubuntu CD if you have one laying around. Use the Live CD, to move data to the external drive...

IGF

nathanours
10-28-2010, 19:07
Good idea, I've got an Ubuntu 9.04 sitting somewhere around here. Nevermind, its at home, I'll just make a new one real quick and let you know how it goes. Thanks agian, I never even thought about booting from a linux disc. I kinda forgot about being able to run it completely from a disc.