Load data - Missouri Bullet (115gr, 125gr) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Load data - Missouri Bullet (115gr, 125gr)

ER_STL
10-27-2010, 12:17
Does anyone here have experience loading MB in 9mm? They seem like a great choice but I haven't been able to find much load data on them. I can use Hodgon's website but was hoping to find someone who is already loading them.

I'm also hoping to find someone on the site to confirm that I won't have much lead build-up in my stock Glock barrel. I talked to someone yesterday at MB and was given the impression that as long as I keep my loads under about 1200 fps (125gr) I should experience minimal leading (and that powders such as 231 and Titegroup were good-to-go).

Eric

Boxerglocker
10-27-2010, 12:27
Use whatever data you have available for you chosen powder, if only FMJ use the same weight but reduce it by 5-10% and work up.

A 124 FMJ at 4.0g TG 1.135 OAL runs in the 1100-1150 range FPS

I would start at 3.8 with TG and would up from there if that is what you choose to use. Personally I had better luck with 9mm lead and Solo1000, you'll need a chrono for sure to work up that data as what pulished is limited.

fredj338
10-27-2010, 13:22
There should be a big stickie about using bullets that have no printed data. You are just not going to find printed data for every lead bullet design. In 120-125gr/9mm RN alone, there must be at least 12 diff designs. The best you can do is match your bullet shape w/ one in a manual & start well off the max load & work it up. Lyman has lead bullet data for most calibers. You can use jacketed STARTING data for most lead bullets of the same wt & sim shape & be safe to work up. It's the toughest part of reloading for newbs. Unless you use the exact components in the manuals, you are NOT going to get the exact results.:dunno:

ER_STL
10-27-2010, 13:58
Fair enough and certainly consistent with what I've been reading...that I'll need to start with a similar load setup for 124/125gr LRN and work my way up. I was really hoping to find someone who is already running this bullet who can give feedback, espeically before I buy a case or two of them.

I'm currently running 124gr PD over 4.3gr of Titegroup. Works fine in my gun but MB appear to be $19 cheaper per 1000 which will start to add up if I continue to shoot as much as I have been.

Boxerglocker
10-27-2010, 14:36
Fair enough and certainly consistent with what I've been reading...that I'll need to start with a similar load setup for 124/125gr LRN and work my way up. I was really hoping to find someone who is already running this bullet who can give feedback, espeically before I buy a case or two of them.

I'm currently running 124gr PD over 4.3gr of Titegroup. Works fine in my gun but MB appear to be $19 cheaper per 1000 which will start to add up if I continue to shoot as much as I have been.

I run TG as my standard load above... like I said though. If your gonna run Moly/LRN best chose another powder that runs cooler. WST, Solo100 even Unique would be a better choice than TG with that bullet defiantely less smoke too! That's a lot to say comming from a TG whore like me :supergrin:

ER_STL
10-27-2010, 15:14
I've spent about the last 30 minutes searching this sub-forum for info on Solo 1000 and WST. WST sounds like it might be a good choice for lead bullets.

From what I understand, WST and 231 are loaded at the same rate and I can therefore follow Hodgdon's recommendations for loading 124/125gr lead bullets using 231. Is this correct?

How does 4.4gr of WST under a 125gr LRN (1.135" OAL) sound as a starting load? I've seen other people recommending this load under a 124gr LRN with an OAL that is under 1.10". Or, is it better to start at around 4.0gr and work my way up?

IndyGunFreak
10-27-2010, 15:24
I've spent about the last 30 minutes searching this sub-forum for info on Solo 1000 and WST. WST sounds like it might be a good choice for lead bullets.

From what I understand, WST and 231 are loaded at the same rate and I can therefore follow Hodgdon's recommendations for loading 124/125gr lead bullets using 231. Is this correct?

How does 4.4gr of WST under a 125gr LRN (1.135" OAL) sound as a starting load? I've seen other people recommending this load under a 124gr LRN with an OAL that is under 1.10". Or, is it better to start at around 4.0gr and work my way up?

If you search fred's posts... you'll likely find plenty of data on WST... what sucks is, because search topics have to be over 3 letters, just searching "WST" doesn't do it.

fredj338
10-27-2010, 15:46

Not sure where you get that idea. WST is slightly faster than W231, so they do NOT use the same data. Depending on youe bullets length, that load will be safe, but might prove soft for shorter slides/stiffer springs, especially if moly coated. Most 124grLRN won't load that short.

ER_STL
10-27-2010, 16:10
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm running a stock G19 and am not looking to make a bunny fart load. I'm just looking to cut costs a bit by moving to lead bullets. I saw a post on another board where a guy was running 4.4gr of WST under a 125gr MB in his XD-9 to meet minor PF. I figured it might be a good base at which to start.

Would you recommend just starting there and moving up?

Colorado4Wheel
10-27-2010, 16:46
Powder "Speed" has nothing to do with the "grs" needed. Power Pistol and #7 are about the same speed but PP requires 60% the charge of AA#7.

Start with a load the starting load and work it up to the middle of the range. Starting should barely cycle the slide. Middle will feel more normal.

fredj338
10-27-2010, 18:40
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm running a stock G19 and am not looking to make a bunny fart load. I'm just looking to cut costs a bit by moving to lead bullets. I saw a post on another board where a guy was running 4.4gr of WST under a 125gr MB in his XD-9 to meet minor PF. I figured it might be a good base at which to start.

Would you recommend just starting there and moving up?
It's not that simple, WHat works in my gun, my compnents, isn't likely going to be duplicated in yours. Again, not all lead bullets are the same, not even all that weigh 124gr & not even all that are LRN. A longer bearing surface will show higher vel than a shorter bearing surface. The same 4.8gr WST I use bder a 124grLTC @ 1.060, runs 50fps less using a 125grLRN (Western Nevada Bullets), yes seated longer, but also has a short bearing surface. Run the same load in 4 diff guns & you'll get 4 diff vel, some quite a bit. The only way to KNOW, is chronograph your ammo in your gun. That is what they will do at a match.