The original Colt 1911 thumb safety? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The original Colt 1911 thumb safety?

ajgranda
10-27-2010, 12:39
Hi,

Anyone have any experiences with this "tiny" thumb safety? How well does it engage/disengage. Where do you position your strong thumb when shooting? Obviously, you can't ride this safety :whistling:. I actually like the looks of this 70 series LW Colt Commander (Talo Wiley Clapp). I think the Remington R1 has the same safety. Thanks

samuse
10-27-2010, 12:54
It works just fine. Maybe a little better than the teardrop safety.

I shoot with my thumb under the safety. Thumb over the safety feels lopsided to me and doesn't make me shoot any better or faster.

ajgranda
10-27-2010, 13:01
It works just fine. Maybe a little better than the teardrop safety.

I shoot with my thumb under the safety. Thumb over the safety feels lopsided to me and doesn't make me shoot any better or faster.

Thanks, one of the pluses is can see in shooting with the thumb under this safety is that there is much less chance of ever accidentally engaging it.

samuse
10-27-2010, 19:20
I don't think you'll have any problems with accidentally engaging the safety. I never have and have never heard anyone say they have.

That Wiley Clapp is a sweet lookin' gun. Those sights are the best.

The_Drizzle
10-27-2010, 21:22
I too shoot with my thumb under the safety and find the small safety is great.

RonS
10-28-2010, 15:02
Same here. I like them because I have a definite edge to find with my thumb when I go to disengage it, instead of the tapered shelf of the modern ones.