Kimber Super Match or Les Baer Premier II? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Super Match or Les Baer Premier II?

carguy2244
10-27-2010, 12:54
Kimber Super Match or Les Baer Premier II?

Which one?
Why?
Thank you.

Cerebrus
10-27-2010, 13:42
I would say the LB premier II due to the fact that it actually is a semi-custom gun.. rather than a wanna-be semi-custom production gun. Also if one looks at MSRP the LB is quite a bit cheaper. Both are good pistols.. but I would take a Baer over a Kimber any day... http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/customshop/super_match_II/

http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html#pistols

rsxr22
10-27-2010, 13:45
Between the 2 i would go with the LB as well. In my experience, Kimbers always look pretty, but i personally have not had luck at all. 2 had failure issues and my last functioned well, but the fitting of small parts and slide to frame fit was sub standard for a $1300+ pistol. I will never buy one again. The Super Carry is beautiful, but the LB's are tried and true to their guarantees!

carguy2244
10-27-2010, 15:05
That's what I thought too. So why in the world is the Kimber $435 more???

GVFlyer
10-27-2010, 15:13
My Les Baer PIIs have been accurate and reliable. The one Kimber that I had was accurate.

~

Quack
10-27-2010, 15:15
STI Trojan :whistling:

gconan
10-27-2010, 15:40
I think either would be a really fine choice.

RH45
10-27-2010, 17:13
I would say the LB premier II due to the fact that it actually is a semi-custom gun.. rather than a wanna-be semi-custom production gun. Also if one looks at MSRP the LB is quite a bit cheaper. Both are good pistols.. but I would take a Baer over a Kimber any day... http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/customshop/super_match_II/

http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html#pistols

:agree:

Rinspeed
10-27-2010, 17:43
I really like Kimbers but there's no comparison between the two. Put the same number of rounds through both and when you get to point where the Kimber is worn out the Baer will be just getting broken in. ;)

bac1023
10-27-2010, 18:38
STI Trojan :whistling:

:rofl:

bac1023
10-27-2010, 18:39
I love the way that Kimber shoots, but the Baer is a better quality gun.

...and, by the way, the actual street price of those two is closer than the MSRPs.

glock2740
10-27-2010, 18:40
I'm a big Kimber fan, but between a Kimber anything vs. the Baer, I'd have to go LB.

dakrat
10-27-2010, 18:43
both are fine weapons. at the same price range, you will get more for your money with Baer.

brisk21
10-27-2010, 21:46
I can't imagine a world where one would pick a Kimber over a Baer assuming both are in similar condition.

bac1023
10-28-2010, 04:40
I shoot the Kimber better than my Baer Concept V. In fact, that Kimber is one of the best shooting 1911s I own. Unfortunately, parts quality is not that of a semi-custom.

PhoneCop
10-28-2010, 06:29
I've been very pleased with my KSM II. I don't think you would be wrong with either. Get what you want and don't let other's opinions on your choice matter.

If you are at all concerned about the quality of the KSM IIs parts or performance, you can look back through years of video and tens of thousands of rounds through my KSM II in competition and judge for yourself.

Best of luck with your future purchase.

carguy2244
10-28-2010, 07:02
I love the way that Kimber shoots, but the Baer is a better quality gun.

...and, by the way, the actual street price of those two is closer than the MSRPs.

Yes. I saw a NIB Super Match II go for 1375 on GB. I was going to buy it, but just felt the Baer was the way to go. Cheap as the Kimber was, something's only cheap if it's what I want, and I'm not a collector, just a shooter.

bac1023
10-28-2010, 08:00
If you are at all concerned about the quality of the KSM IIs parts or performance, you can look back through years of video and tens of thousands of rounds through my KSM II in competition and judge for yourself.

True.

You put your SM through some serious drills.

PlasticGuy
10-30-2010, 07:56
I love the way that Kimber shoots, but the Baer is a better quality gun...
I've had both, and I agree. The Super Match is highly underrated. It is a really good shooter, and better fitted and finished than most give it credit for. That said, my Premier II is slightly better fitted and is build from higher quality parts. At the same price point, the Baer is the way to go.

ShakyDave
11-02-2010, 16:34
The Kimber Super Match is a bottom-up competition gun. I see a lot of them in USPSA competitons, probably more commonly than the LB. It's not really the same gun as the rest of the Kimbers as much as it is the flagship of the line. More like comparing the Springfield PPC Distinguished to the rest of the Springfield line.

Anyway, the Kimbers turn up in USPSA Single-Stack competition and Steel Challenge with regularity, usually outfitted with 10-round magazines, and the shooters do well with them.

I shoot my Baer P2, but I never feel equipment superiority when I'm shooting against the Kimber SM.

bac1023
11-02-2010, 17:32
The Kimber Super Match is a bottom-up competition gun. I see a lot of them in USPSA competitons, probably more commonly than the LB. It's not really the same gun as the rest of the Kimbers as much as it is the flagship of the line. More like comparing the Springfield PPC Distinguished to the rest of the Springfield line.

Anyway, the Kimbers turn up in USPSA Single-Stack competition and Steel Challenge with regularity, usually outfitted with 10-round magazines, and the shooters do well with them.

I shoot my Baer P2, but I never feel equipment superiority when I'm shooting against the Kimber SM.

Not really though. The SMII is a great 1911, but its produced much like the other Kimbers with some additional fitting and finish.

Springfield Custom is on a whole other level compared to the Springfield production 1911s.

MajorD
11-03-2010, 18:14
les baer guarantee of 3 inch 50 YARD accuracy- no kimber from the factory can live up to that

bac1023
11-04-2010, 08:27
les baer guarantee of 3 inch 50 YARD accuracy- no kimber from the factory can live up to that

I guess you aren't familiar with the SuperMatch.

Its guaranteed to shoot 5-shot groups at 25 yards of 1" or less. I shoot it better than my Baer Concept V and many of my other semi-custom 1911s.

MIM or not, the SM is a GREAT shooting pistol.

tjpet
11-04-2010, 14:41
Kimbers are nice for light duty play. But a LB P-II is the standard blue collar workhorse of 1911s. If you shoot A LOT you're money ahead for your lifetime getting the LB.

jjdubious48195
11-06-2010, 11:10
I agree with BAC. I have shot the Kimber Super Match and it is different from all the other Kimber 1911s. I do think they cost to much in comparison though. I have a Les Baer SRP, an Ed Brown Class A Limited, and a Wilson Combat CQB. I would put the Super Match just behind them but not to far. Well BAC I am only 2 months away from ordering my Guncrafter American.:whistling:

bac1023
11-06-2010, 17:52
Well BAC I am only 2 months away from ordering my Guncrafter American.:whistling:

Very cool.

Guncrafter builds an awesome 1911. :cool: