Barnes TSX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barnes TSX

EL COLONEL
10-28-2010, 03:20
Wanting to know if the Barnes ammo with the TSX tip in 223 is enough for hogs ? Thankx

CC Glock
10-28-2010, 09:38
I have a buddy that uses it, it does "OK" for him. He has had one boar drop more or less right in his tracks and about a week latter shot another and it didnt even phase it. I figure waiting for the perfect shot is more important. Thats just my 2 cents though. Good luck

357glocker
10-28-2010, 11:53
Get the November issue of field and stream. It has an article about hunting with the .22 centerfires.

K.Kiser
10-28-2010, 16:44
I will say that after 25 years of My Dad and Brother handloading for quite a few avid shooters and hunters, the Barnes X family bullets have given us the cleanest kills of any thing we've ever used... If there are any weak spots in Your combo it will be the caliber, but the bullet is everything it can be in terms of a show stopper... If the situation presents itself, shoot'em in the neck but that sure result that goes with most any hunting bullet... Unless it's a real big hog though, I'd still say a good lung shot will put'em down without them going too far...

Just for reference, the smallest round that we've used these bullet in were 90 grain .243 Win on deer and hogs...

EL COLONEL
10-28-2010, 17:06
Thanx everyone .

K.Kiser
10-28-2010, 19:42
This a little food for thought, but You may already know this stuff so forgive Me if You do... Bullet options for a .223 are very poor from a sectional density standpoint (penetration) and a Ballistic coefficient standpoint (retained energy downrange)... The 50 grain barnes has a S.D. of .142 and a B.C of about .197, and these number are quite unimpressive from a hunting standpoint... Although a personal opinion, I like the S.D to be at least no less than .240 and S.D. to be around .350 or more for such game as deer and hogs... For comparison to a common round for such game a 130 grain Barnes .270 bullet has a S.D. of .242 and a B.C of .431... Same ol' thing, but shot placement and range distance is critical a swith any situation... Good luck..

noway
10-29-2010, 08:27
Great bullets but quite a few $$s and just how much more better is it for the cost. I'm happy for now with an classic metal jacket and lead core bullets. Unless I was hunting a hard to kill animal, than maybe a all copper bullet would be a pick of mine, but I haven't had that problem in the past.