When Will Hornady Make a SD Bullet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When Will Hornady Make a SD Bullet?

thegriz18
10-28-2010, 11:24
The XTP is more a hunting round, FTX is only for penetrating clothes.

Does anyone think that Hornady will produce a bullet that has characteristics similar to the Ranger T or HST?

BadAndy
10-28-2010, 12:05
Are XTP and FTX bullets not stopping bad guys?

I've seen quite a few results from water and gel tests but haven't seen anything saying they fail at putting down humans.

Berto
10-28-2010, 12:13
The XTP is a good S/D bullet, but it needs velocity. In std pressure .38sp snubby, I wouldn't use the 158gr load, but in a 9mm, the 124gr version would be fine.
I'm not sold on the FTX, It lacks penetration.

10-28-2010, 17:02
I'd argue that they already have; the XTP design fitting that description.

The XTP was the first bullet design offered (September 1990) by a major ammunition manufacturer in response to the then 'new' F.B.I. test protocols (whether you agree with them being a valid metric or not) as they applied to handgun projectiles for the purpose of self defense.

The FTX strikes me as a bit "fragile" for what I would prefer to have in a self defense projectile design (which is why I prefer the XTP), but there are those who prefer it for just that trait.

chewybaca67
10-28-2010, 17:48
I wish I had some ballistic gel so's i could test a 124 grain XTP comin' out a 5.49" LWD 357 conversion tube at an average of 1530 fps. Sounds like it would expand just fine considering most 124 hp 9mm +P loads barely make 1250 fps.

Zombie Steve
10-28-2010, 19:02
I really like the XTP. Not as much expansion as other premium hp's, but I've found them very accurate in my 9mm, .357 mag and .45 auto handloads. They will expand some, the profile feeds well in autos and they dig pretty deep. I have no problem with this bullet for self defense.

unit1069
10-28-2010, 20:26
I carry Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP ammo in my Kel-Tec PF-9. It's the most accurate ammo I've found yet for that pistol and it always feeds.

Those who conduct their own tests seem to agree that the XTP design gives up some expansion for better penetration, and all things considered I'll take the better penetration over the better expansion every time in a short-barrel close range pistol.

And from what I can tell the XTP doesn't seem to have jacket/core separation even though it's not a bonded bullet. I really don't see a downside to the XTP although some rounds could reasonably be considered "better" using static measurements.

gatorboy
10-28-2010, 20:29
Hornady does'nt want civilians using "their" bullets for SD. There is somethimg floating around from them officially that states that basically word for word. Something about windshields not being a consideration for testing because civlians don't need a bullet that can penetrate windshields or some such B.S. I won't go looking for it but in reality there are 1,000,000 (well, maybe 10-15 in each caliber) better options than the gold XTP or the black XTP that they put in different boxes.

They are bullets best used for hunting though a bonded GD, GS or Ranger is an even better option for hunting.

Glolt20-91
10-28-2010, 23:40
I wish I had some ballistic gel so's i could test a 124 grain XTP comin' out a 5.49" LWD 357 conversion tube at an average of 1530 fps. Sounds like it would expand just fine considering most 124 hp 9mm +P loads barely make 1250 fps.

The 124gr XTPs begin to fall apart in the upper 1300s to low 1400s.

Hornady has .38Super (.356cal) load data for their .357cal XTPs in 125gr and 140gr, both are strong designs and they hold up better at elevated velocities compared to their 124gr/147gr cousins.

Bob :cowboy:

thegriz18
10-28-2010, 23:50
I've tested XTP bullets in 180 grain from a G23. They did alright in bare media, but put a barrier like clothing over it and you get almost zero expansion. PDX1 or Rangers still penetrate 12+ and expand every time. Perhaps the 950fps the TAP 180's run at is a little on the slow side. Their 155's only run 1180fps. I would think that with the strong design of the XTP that they could push velocities higher.

I'd like to see a non bonded round that isn't a cup and jacket design. Something similar to an HST or Ranger T round. Something that will expand and still make penetration depth.

DocKWL
10-29-2010, 05:54
Hornady does'nt want civilians using "their" bullets for SD. There is somethimg floating around from them officially that states that basically word for word. Something about windshields not being a consideration for testing because civlians don't need a bullet that can penetrate windshields or some such B.S. I won't go looking for it but in reality there are 1,000,000 (well, maybe 10-15 in each caliber) better options than the gold XTP or the black XTP that they put in different boxes.

They are bullets best used for hunting though a bonded GD, GS or Ranger is an even better option for hunting.

You serve no purpose spreading false information. It took ten seconds to find THIS (http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm).

gatorboy
10-29-2010, 08:07
You serve no purpose spreading false information. It took ten seconds to find THIS (http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm).

If I'm in posession of my firearm legally and I have to shoot through any of those barriers in self defense I'm most likely going to jail? Not in N. Florida bud! I personally don't like the message and I won't support them by using their products. I stick by my opinion that the XTP, whether gold or black is a crappy choice for self defense. I still stick by my educated opinion that there are bullets that will expand more and stay together better through car doors or the shoulder/skull of a 300 pound hog. I've shot more hogs than I can remember and I've had many oppertunities to shoot at old and new car doors and windshields before they were hauled for scrap.

Foxtrotx1
10-29-2010, 08:18
If I'm in posession of my firearm legally and I have to shoot through any of those barriers in self defense I'm most likely going to jail? Not in N. Florida bud! I personally don't like the message and I won't support them by using their products. I stick by my opinion that the XTP, whether gold or black is a crappy choice for self defense. I still stick by my educated opinion that there are bullets that will expand more and stay together better through car doors or the shoulder/skull of a 300 pound hog. I've shot more hogs than I can remember and I've had many oppertunities to shoot at old and new car doors and windshields before they were hauled for scrap.

:faint:Can we get a facepalm?

You missed his point. The quote you read was NOT, NOT, NOT from Hornady. Read again. he listed that link to show you were misrepresenting the origin of that ********d quote.

Zombie Steve
10-29-2010, 09:14
I neglected to mention that I'm a cheap rat bastard, and if I can't get it as a component, I won't buy it. Gold dots are really nice, but SPENDY! HST - not available to hand loaders.

I ask for your discretion so this doesn't go into a "you'll go to jail if you shoot someone with a handload" thing. There are other threads on that.

Just for the sake of argument - if it has to go through barriers, why wouldn't you want it to act like a full metal jacket?