Glock 19 shoots high and left [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 shoots high and left

davidalyn
10-28-2010, 16:09
JR, I just picked a slightly used 2009 Glock 19. Took it to the range and @ 20 yards the gun shoots 8 inches left and 6 inches high. It shoots pretty good 3 to 4 inch groups, just high left. My 17 and 34, both hit point of aim point of impact. I am beginning to think I know why it was in the gun store.

I know many times these type of events are caused by shooter error. I am not saying I am a great shooter, but I have carried a USPSA "A" Classification for many years, I am a certified firearms instructor for a Federal Contractor who has carried Glock 22s for about 10 years, so I am not new to Glocks.

Anyway, have you ran across this type of problem before?

Thanks
Dave from SouthEast Idaho

JR
10-28-2010, 16:26
Ok, I will bypass the "shooting skills drill". Lets focus on the gun.
You need to verify the slide & barrel are locked up properly. When a cartridge is chambered, the barrel hood must be flush with the top of the slide. Sometimes a swelled cartridge (reload) will stick in the chamber and hold the gun slightly out of battery. When the gun is fired, (out of battery) the round will shoot high.

davidalyn
10-28-2010, 16:38
Ok, I will bypass the "shooting skills drill". Lets focus on the gun.
You need to verify the slide & barrel are locked up properly. When a cartridge is chambered, the barrel hood must be flush with the top of the slide. Sometimes a swelled cartridge (reload) will stick in the chamber and hold the gun slightly out of battery. When the gun is fired, (out of battery) the round will shoot high.

I put about 70 rounds through the thing and every round was high/left.

My guess is I have a lock up issue.

Thanks
Dave

davidalyn
10-29-2010, 20:04
I completely disassembled the entire gun and carefully inspected each and every contact surface. I noticed the portion of the barrel that engages the locking block had a shiny wear mark, but the mark was only on the left side. Now I was sure I had a lock up issue. I called the Glock tech line and talked to Fred and explained what I had found. Fred said this was very unusual and to box the gun up, send it back and Glock would take care of me.

I decided to put plenty of lube on the slide rails, the barrel (ample lube on locking block and barrel contact surface) and take the gun and three different types of ammo back to the range.

I set up a USPSA target out at 20 yards. I loaded up 5 rounds of my 135 grain reloads. The first round hit dead center. I fired the remaining 4 rounds. Nice little 3 inch group all centered around the first round. I taped up the group and went through the 5 shot drill again and again using the different types of ammo. The only thing that changed was the group size (I got a little sloppy and opened it up from time to time).

I still think I had a lock up problem, what I don't know, is what I did to fix it.

I am guessing there was either a foreign object preventing proper lock up or it just needed a little lube in the locking block area.

Anyway, I have a great shooter and I am pretty happy with my Austrian marked G19.

JR
10-31-2010, 20:20
Sounds like you had a lock up issue to me. That’s why I asked you to verify ammo fit. Seems like Fred is thinking it was lock up too?
Glad to hear your up & running. If you ever see a problem like this again the first thing to check is the lock up. Reloaded ammo is the biggest contributor to this problem.