Lee Pro 1000 users? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 1000 users?

Willie Wilson
10-28-2010, 20:29
Getting back to the bench again. I had a Dillion 550 in the past and all the goodies to go with it. A divorce, a move and loss of space lead me to sell it and much of my reloading equipment. Time has passed and I'm looking to start reloading for my pistols again. Took almost three years to burn through what I stock piled before I knew I was selling the press. To the point, I have a single stage press for loading my rifle caliber shells. I'm looking to reload pistol calibers in 40 S&W, 10mm and 44 mag. I've seen good and bad press on the Lee Pro 1000, but for $160.00 is it really that bad? Please give your input. If I don't go with a Lee, I'll probably get a Square Deal B. Thanks.

Mark

Boxerglocker
10-28-2010, 20:37
Getting back to the bench again. I had a Dillion 550 in the past and all the goodies to go with it. A divorce, a move and loss of space lead me to sell it and much of my reloading equipment. Time has passed and I'm looking to start reloading for my pistols again. Took almost three years to burn through what I stock piled before I knew I was selling the press. To the point, I have a single stage press for loading my rifle caliber shells. I'm looking to reload pistol calibers in 40 S&W, 10mm and 44 mag. I've seen good and bad press on the Lee Pro 1000, but for $160.00 is it really that bad? Please give your input. If I don't go with a Lee, I'll probably get a Square Deal B. Thanks.

Mark

I have never owned a Lee Proo 1000, have loaded on one in 9mm a couple of times... the SDB have alot of rounds under my belt. For your situation I say 550 all the way, you can do your pistol fast and utilize your existing dies for some of your rifle needs too.

But of your two choices SDB is what I would go with.

GioaJack
10-28-2010, 20:39
I certainly don't want to start any press bashing but if your choice is between the two and you can fit the cost difference comfortably in your budget chances are you'll be much more pleased with the Square Deal... especially in light of the fact that you have your rifle rounds covered with a SS.

(Just thought of something, although I have a SD, and a Pro 1000, I don't load for 10mm so I'm not sure if that's available or not on the SD.)

Good luck.

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-28-2010, 20:48
I certainly don't want to start any press bashing but if your choice is between the two and you can fit the cost difference comfortably in your budget chances are you'll be much more pleased with the Square Deal... especially in light of the fact that you have your rifle rounds covered with a SS.

(Just thought of something, although I have a SD, and a Pro 1000, I don't load for 10mm so I'm not sure if that's available or not on the SD.)

Good luck.

Jack

You can load 10mm on a SDB, utilizes the same dies and conversion as the .40 you just swap the spp slide out for the lpp.

DustyDawg48
10-28-2010, 20:49
I really like Lee reloading stuff but I had a Lee Pro 1000 and I just could not get it to work right. My biggest complaints were about the primer feeding and the powder measures. The primers slide down a small channel and into the seating area but you can't actually SEE the primers as they or IF they actually make it to the seating area. And the powder chargers really rely on a cheap drain-plug style chain that may or may not move the powder measure back to where I can be charged with powder for a follow up case. I fiddled with that thing for hours a day for 2 or 3 days until I got so fed up by not getting it to work correctly that I boxed it back up and sent it back to Midway USA and ordered a single stage RCBS that I talked myself out of in the first place! If Lee could work out those 2 issues where you could have a more reliable primer feed and powder drop station, I'd say it would be a winner of a press but with those 2 very important issues, issues of trust, I'd stay far away from it.

Hope that helps! Good luck

IndyGunFreak
10-28-2010, 21:11
I really like Lee reloading stuff but I had a Lee Pro 1000 and I just could not get it to work right. My biggest complaints were about the primer feeding and the powder measures. The primers slide down a small channel and into the seating area but you can't actually SEE the primers as they or IF they actually make it to the seating area. And the powder chargers really rely on a cheap drain-plug style chain that may or may not move the powder measure back to where I can be charged with powder for a follow up case. I fiddled with that thing for hours a day for 2 or 3 days until I got so fed up by not getting it to work correctly that I boxed it back up and sent it back to Midway USA and ordered a single stage RCBS that I talked myself out of in the first place! If Lee could work out those 2 issues where you could have a more reliable primer feed and powder drop station, I'd say it would be a winner of a press but with those 2 very important issues, issues of trust, I'd stay far away from it.

Hope that helps! Good luck

I can't argue w/ the Priming system... That's a common complaint about that press...

But the Powder Measure, there's a spring you can put on the spring lever, so that the Auto Disk can be used on the Lee's turret presses. I don't see any reason you couldn't also use this spring on a Pro 1k or a Loadmaster.

meleors
10-29-2010, 06:39
But the Powder Measure, there's a spring you can put on the spring lever, so that the Auto Disk can be used on the Lee's turret presses. I don't see any reason you couldn't also use this spring on a Pro 1k or a Loadmaster.

Actually, I use the spring on a Loadmaster.
The chain is to prevent double charges. I use a powder that overfills the case on a double charge and don't need that protection. The spring guarantees the autodisk is always reset.
Sure, you could accidentally do a partial charge and the spring will reset the autodisk and then you do a full charge.
Of course, since you should always check your powder level before placing a bullet, this will be detected by your keen eyes.

IndyGunFreak
10-29-2010, 06:56
Actually, I use the spring on a Loadmaster.
The chain is to prevent double charges. I use a powder that overfills the case on a double charge and don't need that protection. The spring guarantees the autodisk is always reset.
Sure, you could accidentally do a partial charge and the spring will reset the autodisk and then you do a full charge.
Of course, since you should always check your powder level before placing a bullet, this will be detected by your keen eyes.

I've never had a problem w/ the Auto Disk partial charging, etc. (granted, I use it on an LCT).. it's just dead nuts simple to use.

IGF

Willie Wilson
10-29-2010, 08:39
I'll keep kicking around my options and see what I end up with. Thanks all.

Milltown
10-29-2010, 12:41
I could care less about the priming system, but everything else i tolerable.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 13:02
I could care less about the priming system, but everything else i tolerable.

You should care... the Lee has had issues with thier priming system acknowledged by Lee themselves warning not to use specific primers.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=2875193#post2875193

Colorado4Wheel
10-29-2010, 13:47
You have already been kicked in the nuts in a divorce. It won't hurt to get the Pro 1000 as they are probably still numb.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 13:56
You have already been kicked in the nuts in a divorce. It won't hurt to get the Pro 1000 as they are probably still numb.

:rofl:

Bello
10-29-2010, 14:52
I can't argue w/ the Priming system... That's a common complaint about that press...

i agree the i love the auto disk powder measure it drops great consistant powder drops

Bello
10-29-2010, 14:53
You should care... the Lee has had issues with thier priming system acknowledged by Lee themselves warning not to use specific primers.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=2875193#post2875193

supposedly all that has been fixed box! and lol they make a explosion guard for the lee progressives

Burien
10-29-2010, 15:04
the Lee Pro is GREAT! loaded about 15,000 plus 9mm and i use it for 10mm, in the past used it for .44 mag, but now primary 9 and 10 mm Great press, easy to use, and really hard to almost impossible to throw a double charges since it indexes at every down-ward stroke, ensure the primer try is full and when it runs low, out of the disk and only in the feeding arm, fill it up again, i like it lots

wanderinwalker
10-29-2010, 17:13

Mark

As a dedicated and unabashed LEE user, if you can swing a Dillon 550 or a Hornady LNL, I would go that route.

The Pro-1000 makes plenty good ammo, no question about that. I used to load .223 on it for Highpower and won a few matches with that ammo. (Don't let the other guys know that's what I loaded on! :whistling: ) There are a couple of little tricks that can be done, such as using a bolt, washer and wingnut to remove the play in the tool head and tighten OAL variations in the loaded rounds. I like the pull-chain charge bar reset, as it does NOT reset the charge bar until you have bottomed the shell plate. Auto-index is nice and I have ditched the case feeder and just manually feed the cases onto the slider or directly onto the shell plate.

That said, I wore one shell plate and ratchet assembly so badly loading 9mm and .223 I chucked it for a complete replacement assembly rather than rebuild it. They do take a little tinkering and fiddling to get running smoothly. And I no longer load .223 on it, because I don't shoot .223 in anything but my match gun.

Goldstar225
10-29-2010, 17:26
I owned a Lee 1000 several years ago, loaded several thousand rounds on it. I got tired of the jams in the primer feed and sold it (with full disclosure of the problems). Pay the extra for the SDB and save yourself some aggravation.

El_Ron1
10-29-2010, 17:30
http://i53.tinypic.com/mjl1jl.jpg

WiskyT
10-29-2010, 18:46
I love my Lee 1000. The powder measure is the best part. If you can't figure out how to use a chain, you need to really think about whether you should be handling a gun.

The primer system can be cantankerous. The more you use it, the better you get at it. I've had the same Pro 1000 since 1986 or so and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I now have a Dillon 650, which at about $1,000.00 is a great machine. I keep it dedicated for 40SW. MY Pro1000 is used for all my other pistol cals since changover takes about three minutes.

I honestly don't know how many rounds I've loaded with my Pro1000, but I know it's gone through 20# of Bullseye, 10# of Unique, and several pounds each of many other powders.