Primers, Primers, Primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Primers, Primers, Primers

norton
10-29-2010, 07:58
I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems to me the weakest link in most press designs is primer feeding and seating.
I have 3 presses sitting on my bench, a Rock Chucker , a Lyman turret and a Dillon 550.
I gave up on the primer seating on the Lyman turret and R/C-The Dillon I have had off and on problems with.
From watching videos, it seems like the RCBS Pro 2000 has the most sensible primer feed system. It is very simple.
I have talked to other shooters/re loaders who do most of their priming by hand. Even if they are using a progressive.

Who makes the best, most reliable primer feed system?

IndyGunFreak
10-29-2010, 08:09
No problems here on the LCT... ;)

It's pretty much fool proof. Not really cut out for a progressive machine, but I believe Lee has implemented the safety prime onto some of their single stage presses as well.

IGF

ravenkeeper98
10-29-2010, 08:12
I have come to like the Lee Safety Prime. I know it is used for the single stage presses, but it is easy, until you get to the last primer, but just reload the tray and it is good.

XDRoX
10-29-2010, 08:17
What type pf problems are you having on the 550? Maybe we can trouble shoot and get it fixed.

norton
10-29-2010, 08:23
What type pf problems are you having on the 550? Maybe we can trouble shoot and get it fixed.

My slide doesn't come out completely. I have to reach down and pull it the last few inches. Then sometimes it doesn't return to the press with a primer in the punch.
I have tried cleaning and then using emory cloth on the slide. Does not seem to make a difference.

AR-Black
10-29-2010, 08:32
I have the Square Deal B. It's 20 years old.

The primer housing return spring broke, called Dillon and they sent a new one no charge. THANKS DILLON!

Not familiar with the 550, but could it be a weak spring?

----

I'm reloading some 357 Maximum for a Contender deer pistol. The cases are too long to load in the SDB, but I do use the SDB it to prime the cases. Then single stage press to expand the neck. Then hand measure powder. Then single stage press to seat and crimp. Thank goodness it's only a single shot pistol and I only load about 50 at a time.

180 grain XTP's @ 1,600 fps.

OkieGunNut
10-29-2010, 08:49
I size, deprime and expand (pistol calibers) all on one of my two RC 2s. I prime using the Lee hand press and the Lee AutoPrime 2. I like the positive stop I get by using the handpress and I can watch TV and do it at the same time. I also seat all rounds with the hand press and then crimp on the RCs.

GioaJack
10-29-2010, 08:57
The priming system on the 1050 works pretty slick but when it does start to malfunction I fear I'll have to call in a team of engineers from MIT to fix it.

The Pro 1000 that resides under the bench was not something I wanted to keep dealing with.

The Square Deal and the 550 operate fine the majority of the time and when a primer malfunction does occur it's usually due to dirt and debris. It's not that big of a deal to tear it down and clean it, just a bit frustrating and time consuming. Of the very few complaints I have with my Dillon presses priming problems are probably foremost on the list. The design just lends itself to getting dirty.

The LNL probably has the easiest and cleaning priming design. There's literally nothing on the system that's confined within the press and the entire system can be torn down within a minute or so. Because spent primers are ejected into a tube that runs to a receptacle under the press there is never any primer residue to slow down or clog the primer system.

Jack

MoNsTeR
10-29-2010, 09:25
My Pro 2000 had... issues with the primer feed. I'll just say I don't like it and leave it at that.

The 550 works but has a tendency to gunk up because spent primer residue falls right into the mechanism. Also the fact that it's a total Rube Goldberg design is a kind of double edged sword, causing it to malfunction easily but be easy to fix because it's easy to understand.

The 1050 just works. I don't really even know how it works, but in 10k rounds or so it hasn't malfunctioned once. Of course I just jinxed myself.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 10:55
No problems here on the LCT... ;)

It's pretty much fool proof. Not really cut out for a progressive machine, but I believe Lee has implemented the safety prime onto some of their single stage presses as well.

IGF

The Square Deal and the 550 operate fine the majority of the time and when a primer malfunction does occur it's usually due to dirt and debris. It's not that big of a deal to tear it down and clean it, just a bit frustrating and time consuming. Of the very few complaints I have with my Dillon presses priming problems are probably foremost on the list. The design just lends itself to getting dirty.

Jack

I can only speak of the LCT and SDB, and agree with these statements particularly the one about dirt and debris. One of the only very few issues I had with he SDB was the primer slide sticking cause of getting dirty. After my initial issue the derlin slide bearing being worn, Dillon sent me an entire new assembly. I made sure I cleaned it with alcohol and lubed it lightly with dry silicone spray. Never faultered provided I kept it maintained every 1000 rounds.

The XL650 primer feeder is a different beast altogether though it looks robust. I don't see any need to switching it out to LPP anytime soon, but I'll be taking it apart in the next 500-1000 rounds time permitting just to see how it ticks and develope a game plan to keep it maintained.

ilgunguygt
10-29-2010, 11:44
I like my Safety Prime setup on my Lee Turret. Had some problems at first until I figured it out, now its 100%.

mnhogrider
10-29-2010, 12:02
My slide doesn't come out completely. I have to reach down and pull it the last few inches. Then sometimes it doesn't return to the press with a primer in the punch.
I have tried cleaning and then using emory cloth on the slide. Does not seem to make a difference.

I'd try gently bending out the bottom part of the actuating rod where the pulley for the transfer bar rides so it'll push the transfer bar further back into the primer magazine. This will also create more tension on the return spring when it pulls it back the other way.

Just bend it out a little bit at a time until it's sliding like it should. And go easy when bending the rod. I read a post where somebody broke one. :nsb:

XDRoX
10-29-2010, 12:14
I'd try gently bending out the bottom part of the actuating rod where the pulley for the transfer bar rides so it'll push the transfer bar further back into the primer magazine. This will also create more tension on the return spring when it pulls it back the other way.

Just bend it out a little bit at a time until it's sliding like it should. And go easy when bending the rod. I read a post where somebody broke one. :nsb:

I was going to suggest that as well. If you call Dillon they will be able to help you out with it. They will tell you the exact angle that the bar should be bent at and how far to bend it.
Worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet.

norton
10-29-2010, 13:31
Guys, I called Dillon today and they recommended the same thing. Bend the rod. I will later this evening.

albyihat
10-29-2010, 14:04
Norton under the primer slide are 2 hex(part # 14014) head screws. by loosening and tightening these you can adjust the pressure and angle of the slide housing. playing around with this fixed problems I had with the shuttle/slide not returning and going forward smoothly. Now only problems I have are with dirt build up but I can go 750rds or so before it gets gummy and needs to be wiped down.

Bello
10-29-2010, 14:49
Guys, I called Dillon today and they recommended the same thing. Bend the rod. I will later this evening.

kinda bull**** answer for a 400+ dollar machine

jing1117
10-29-2010, 20:55
Another load for the Hornady LNL progressive press, very simple design and easy to operate and maintain. With more than 20k loaded with it I only destroyed 4 primers in it. Its not the priming systems fault, it was my fault since some military cases managed to elude me when I sorted the cases.

jwc17
10-30-2010, 09:29

Yes, and that is the answer they gave me when I called about the same problem. It worked and the machine works flawlessly now.

alank2
10-30-2010, 09:54
Hi,

I've never had a primer problem of any type on my 550 and for awhile there I was constantly switching between large and small. Even when I did that I wasn't having to tweak anything.

Good luck,

Alan

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 10:12

The only part of the 550 that should be accepted as "not working that great" is the "spent primer" catch system. It does not always catch them. BUT it should feed them 100%. If not you need adjustment in some way. Problems can be complicated to find if not "in the know" but Dillon should help you. Brian Enos has a great write up on how to reslove them as well. Search that site. In breif all the below must be adressed.

Clean slider, no oil
Good tip on the primer tube in the press
Good tension on the operating rod (may need to bend it out to get more tension)
Proper height of the operating rod bracket (call dillon but it's not supposed to touch the press.
Straigh out of that opperating rod or a slight outward angle (not inward).
10/10 primers fall into the cup (with out the tip in place) doing that test

shotgunred
10-30-2010, 10:22
I had the same problem with the 550 when I first started with it. It just needs to be adjusted right. I cleaned everything with a sos pad. Covered all the surfaces of the primer slide with a pencil (dry graphite:) I put it together lose and then lower my handle. when the primer cup is centered in the Shellplate Platform I tighten the bolts. After that it is just a matter of adjusting the proper height of the operating rod bracket.

99% of the time when I have a problem it is a spent primer on the slide.

dudel
10-30-2010, 18:32

Must explain why I've had zero priming problems on the 550 (except for not getting the primer tube fully seated the first time due to the key).

I deprime and tumble before reloading. As a result, no primer smutz to interfere with primer feeding and seating. The primer area gets dirty when I'm doing all the depriming with the Lee universal depriming die; but it's easy to clean up when I'm done with that step. Deprimed, cleaned and sorted 1500 45 GAP cases today. When they get loaded; there won't be any primer debris to get in the way of smooth primer feeding and seating.

Sometimes the way that seems slower; may actually be faster in the long run.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 18:37

Yes, and that is the answer they gave me when I called about the same problem. It worked and the machine works flawlessly now.

No, not really it was the fix that was needed at the time... this is a very common problem that surfaces on high mileage 550's... that was tha bandaid fix, normanlly after you call back and say it worked and they will sent you a replacement arm as yours is most likely worn.
Look over on Enos and you will see this is a very common occurance.

DoctaGlockta
10-30-2010, 19:50
The priming system on the 1050 works pretty slick but when it does start to malfunction I fear I'll have to call in a team of engineers from MIT to fix it.

The Pro 1000 that resides under the bench was not something I wanted to keep dealing with.

The LNL probably has the easiest and cleaning priming design. There's literally nothing on the system that's confined within the press and the entire system can be torn down within a minute or so. Because spent primers are ejected into a tube that runs to a receptacle under the press there is never any primer residue to slow down or clog the primer system.

Jack
And I still can't get mine to work as well as my trusty Lee Hand Primer :dunno:

Glocks&Ducs
10-30-2010, 20:18

I don't see what is BS about it. That rod could be bent during shipping. I bet a lot of people bend it the first time they try hooking it up. It is a simple part on a $400 machine. Sometimes simple parts need tweaking.

I worked on multi-million dollar helicopters, and every once in a while they had problems that were fixed by a little bang with a crescent wrench, a shot of compressed air, a good blow through an atomizer with your mouth, a little bit of RTV sealant, or some high speed duct tape. Only a dodo expects everything to work 100% of the time.

dudel
10-31-2010, 04:49

Not BS. Yeah, it's a $400 machine; but you're talking about a 5 cent part. A wire rod that can get bent if not installed properly. Answer is to bend it back. User is back up and running if a few seconds and all is good.

norton
11-07-2010, 09:22
Update
After a couple of tries-I was worried about breaking the rod-(for those who don't know, in my alternate life I am Batman)-
I bent the rod as advised by Dillon. Just finished loading 125 rounds of .45ACP. One failure to pick up a new primer-I am satisfied with that.

ColdShot
11-07-2010, 17:47
I find myself cleaning my 550 priming system every 250 rounds or so,for me that
is BS,for all those spent primers making that mess is plain silly.....