No boot device available (help) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No boot device available (help)

fran m
10-29-2010, 08:14
Went to start my Dell desktop computer last night. Cat hit the keyboard as it was starting up and I got "Noboot device available-strike f1 to retry boot,f2for setup utility". I don't know what this means and don't even know what a boot device is.

Don't know whether there was a problem before and the cat hitting some keys while starting up had nothing to do with it at all.

Not real computer saavy.

Please help if you can, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fran M

IndyGunFreak
10-29-2010, 08:43
The boot device is your hard drive.

So I take it you turned the machine off, and back on and it is not booting?

IGF

fran m
10-29-2010, 08:50
Yes, When I tried to turn the machine on, that's the message I got. Computer had been "Off"

filthy infidel
10-29-2010, 15:57
Is there a thumbdrive or cd in the machine prior to boot?

thesid
10-29-2010, 16:11

fran m
10-29-2010, 17:25
No, don't often use thumbdrives. No disks in either space. The top one wouldn't open. Had to use a paperclip to open it. Still, after starting up again, the same message.

NMGlocker
10-29-2010, 17:29
Your hard drive cable is probably loose and not making a good connection (seen it on Dells before).
About a 2 minute fix, just unplug your machine, slide the cover off and look for the hard drive and the ribbon cable, make sure it's seated on the drive and the motherboard.
Remember that static electricity is not your friend, before touching the guts of a computer with your hand, touch the metal frame of the computer a few times to discharge it to ground.

fran m
10-29-2010, 17:56
Thanks, checked it out, all seems tight inside. Pressed all of the wires I saw to seat them, none seemed loose. Still, no go.

Fran M

cgwahl
10-29-2010, 18:09
It's already been covered, but reverify nothing is in or connected to the computer, USB drive, CD's, etc.

If that still doesn't help...if you feel brave enough, go into the setup utility (F2) and see if the hard drive is in the list of possible boot devices. It'll be under boot order or something of that nature. If it isn't in the list, add it. If it is in the list, try making it first if it isn't already.

I've occasionally seen it where the hard drive disappears from the BIOS boot devices or for some reason the hard drive has to be first all of a sudden. Possibly because it temporarily couldn't see it. Who knows.

stooxie
10-29-2010, 18:28
Cat was probably a coincidence. Hard drive could have simply died.

-Stooxie

fran m
10-29-2010, 19:10
What does a new hard drive run, installed. It is a Dell, I'll have to check the model.

IndyGunFreak
10-30-2010, 02:24
What does a new hard drive run, installed. It is a Dell, I'll have to check the model.

You'll get tagged having someone install it for you...

Hard Drive can cost anywhere from 79-200... .Do you know what type of hard drive it has? What model Dell is it?

Also, does your PC have a recovery partition on the hard drive(to reinstall the OS) or did you get CD's, and if you got CD's, do you still have them?

IGF