what is up with this ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what is up with this ?

SCC
10-29-2010, 12:48
every now and then this will popup on th screen and say ( windows has stopped working ) with a funny screen kind of like it is white ...
it is a DELL E510 WINDOWS 7
http://i51.tinypic.com/8yrl1t.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qxotqq.jpg
PLEASE HELP !!!! :dunno:

SCC
10-30-2010, 09:00
any one ?

help me Sgt. Schultz
you are the man at this kind of stuff ...

kc8ykd
10-30-2010, 11:35
could be memory related or video, or a driver. or, it could be a virus.

i'd start with the easiest problem to diagnose, the possibility of a virus. have you run a full scan of the system lately?

if you initiate a scan and explorer stops working, the scan will still continue to run. just hit the close program button and explorer should restart automatically.

also, you should check the application section of the event log, it should reveal clues to what's causing the problem. look for entries with a yellow or red mark next to them.

if you find any, please post the message here for further diagnosis, you should be able to copy and paste them directly.

Drjones
10-30-2010, 12:43
Does it say that WINDOWS has stopped working, or INTERNET EXPLORER? In your screen shot, it says INTERNET EXPLORER has stopped working.

Download Google Chrome, stop using IE.

That will solve your problem.

Drjones
10-30-2010, 12:48
I've seen this same issue on several brand new Dell systems.

I had one Dell laptop blue screen on me right out of the box. I promptly reloaded windows 7 pro with the supplied disc and it has run like a champ ever since then.

Next Dell machine I have to buy for a client is getting the same treatment.

QC at Dell is going downhill....

If it's at all possible for you, reinstall windows. Heck, download whatever ISO you need direct from Microsoft and reactivate it using the key on the sticker on your laptop; if you have 7 Home Premium, download that ISO file, burn to disk and reinstall windows.

Win7 installs in about 20 minutes....way faster than you'll be able to diagnose this issue.

SCC
10-30-2010, 14:03
Does it say that WINDOWS has stopped working, or INTERNET EXPLORER? In your screen shot, it says INTERNET EXPLORER has stopped working.

Download Google Chrome, stop using IE.

That will solve your problem.
sorry about that it is ( INTERNET EXPLORER ):embarassed:

Drjones
10-30-2010, 14:09
sorry about that it is ( INTERNET EXPLORER ):embarassed:

;)

You could also try uninstalling/reinstalling IE, but in my experience it doesn't help much.

IE just sucks. Again, if you HAVE to use it, perhaps you could try the IE9 beta...

But best answer is to use a different browser, preferably Chrome.

SCC
10-30-2010, 21:46
I went with the Chrome ..
will give it a shot

SCC
11-02-2010, 14:19
well i think that has done it !!!! has not done it yet ...
thanks for all the help

Drjones
11-02-2010, 17:55
Yep, IE sucks!!!

Toyman
11-03-2010, 04:25
The "SomeProgram has stopped working..." dialog is basically Windows telling you that the program is not responding, and is most likely stuck in an internal loop. It could be just really, really busy, but most likely, it's basically locked up.