Got my Remington 1911R1 today, not impressed... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my Remington 1911R1 today, not impressed...

KB2MBC
10-29-2010, 14:29
I picked up my Remington 1911 today after it was test fired by the NYSP, they got their spent case so they're happy.
I got it home, sat in my office and just looked at it, admiring it and then I noticed some blotches on the finish on top between the rear sight and ejection port. Difficult to see, gotta look closely. Never noticed at the gun shop. Anyways, I was admiring the frame, nice and tight, no play horizontal or vertical and the lockup is tight too.
I dry fired it about a half dozen times, either by pulling the hammer back or cycling the slide. It does have a nice trigger, breaks crisp for an Series 80.
Then I take a side view look at the gun again and see the finish scraped along the bottom, WTF?!? I tore the gun down, cleaned it and saw what looked like metal shavings down where the recoil spring goes into the frame. There is also a scrape on the inside of the frame that is in the same place across from the slide. Here's a pic:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad207/kb2mbc/Rem2.jpg

I dunno, it's a $600 gun, am I wrong to expect more?
I suppose I can b*t*h about it but then it will get sent off to the factory for who knows how long and I haven't even fired a shot through it.
I'm bummed. I knew I shouldn't have purchased a first year run, I thought I'd learn when I bought a Colt Anaconda, that was crappily manufactured too.

ijacek
10-29-2010, 14:33
Wish I could say Congratulations on a new gun, but...

That's just looks really, really bad. Contact Remington, see what they say.

ajgranda
10-29-2010, 14:37
I wouldn't accept that even for a $300 gun. Contact them, send them the pic and then send them the gun.

.45Super-Man
10-29-2010, 14:50
All that's needed is just a few minutes of buffing on the inside of the dustcover with a patch and rubbing compound. Then you can simply degrease the rub marks on the slide and touch it up with a Birchwood casey blackening pin. The whole "process" shouldnt take more than 5-10 minutes. For a 600 dollar 1911, this hardly constitutes a "problem". It is your gun ultimately, but I'd be far more apt to spend 5 minutes at the table than pay for shipping and the hassle that goes with it and then wait for an unknown amount of time when I could fix it myself and be out shooting it on the same day. I havent had the chance to handle a Remington yet and havent really had a strong desire to, but this certainly isnt enough for me to look at them in a bad light.

pistolwrench
10-29-2010, 15:13
As 45SP suggests, be gentle on the close tolerances.
Do Not Exceed 'Flitz' on a Q-tip.

All will be fine.

:upeyes:

:wavey:

KB2MBC
10-29-2010, 15:33
FYI: The Remington finish is a Satin black oxide metal finish, not blued.

watarski
10-29-2010, 16:11
$600 is $600. I'd call Remington. I wouldn't try and fix it myself. JMHO.

carloglock19
10-29-2010, 16:20
That sucks! Sorry you have to go through that. When I handled the R1 it felt really solid and will more than likely be my next purchase next year. Hope you are able to find a solution.

Quack
10-29-2010, 16:40
FYI: The Remington finish is a Satin black oxide metal finish, not blued.

yep, it's black oxide, but if you caught the American Rifleman episode on the Rem 1911R1, you might have seen a bottle or 2 of Birchwood-Casey Perma blue on the work bench when they were fitting them.

.45Super-Man
10-29-2010, 17:04
yep, it's black oxide, but if you caught the American Rifleman episode on the Rem 1911R1, you might have seen a bottle or 2 of Birchwood-Casey Perma blue on the work bench when they were fitting them.

Couldnt think of the name, that's it. The OP needs a "Perma black" touch up pen. There's SO little metal that needs removing here, it's nearly non-existant. It's just enough to mar the slide's finish and that's it. The OP can color the area that's marred on the slide, cycle the slide once and then field strip it. With the slide removed, the inside of the dustcover will now show exactly where it needs to be worked on. If you go and shoot several hundred rounds, you can skip the buffing part and go straight to the perma black, OR you could put just a bit of compound on the slide where it's marred and cycle the action several hundred times. Take your pick,lol.

KB2MBC
10-30-2010, 10:44
It left today, back to Remington.

remat
10-30-2010, 11:11
Cosmetic but I wouldn't be happy either. Aren't they test fired at the Rem/ERPC factory?

KB2MBC
10-30-2010, 11:43
Yeah, it is a cosmetic issue, but it's a testimonial on their manufacturing & QC procedures.
Now I'll see how good their customer service is.

FLIPPER 348
10-30-2010, 13:34
Wish I could say Congratulations on a new gun, but...

That's just looks really, really bad. Contact Remington, see what they say.

It's fine, shoot the thing and enjoy. It's a GI 'replica' not a piece of fine art.
If the dustcover is actually interfering than make it an issue with Rem. If not polish it up a bit and shoot the crap out of it! A black Sharpie can cover up the mark if you don't want to use a bit of blue on a Q-tip.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 14:38
In this day and age $600 is a entry level 1911 and I would tolerate some things like that as long as the gun runs.
Pat

GAFinch
10-30-2010, 15:12
Yeah, it is a cosmetic issue, but it's a testimonial on their manufacturing & QC procedures.
Now I'll see how good their customer service is.

Their QC on shotguns and rifles can be iffy also.

glock2740
10-30-2010, 17:24
Congrats? :dunno:

ArmoryDoc
10-30-2010, 18:41
In this day and age $600 is a entry level 1911 and I would tolerate some things like that as long as the gun runs.
Pat

Not me. No reason for that to be like that. If you don't make noise, quality continues to slide and pretty soon "junk" is the norm. Nope, not me. :dunno:

GVFlyer
10-30-2010, 19:23
The fit and finish on my Remington R1 is excellent.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/xm813/RemR1.jpg?t=1288488083

KB2MBC
10-30-2010, 20:43
The fit and finish on my Remington R1 is excellent.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/xm813/RemR1.jpg?t=1288488083

:crying: it aint fair...

Quack
10-30-2010, 20:45
mine runs great too...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_3918.jpg

DustyJacket
10-31-2010, 08:41
mine runs great too...

It may run great, but something terrible happened to your trigger. It went flat. :whistling:

GVFlyer
10-31-2010, 10:04
Yep, I think it's as tragic when it happens to a 1911 as when it happens to a girl.

G36_Me
10-31-2010, 11:19
I'm with the OP. set your standards high and have them fix it.
Glad you sent it back. Keep us posted.

I've handled the gun and am interested in it also... cause its a 1911 and the thought of a well made 1911 at a reasonable price it what we are all after.

edit to add: i never pull my hammer back to dry fire a 1911, I cycle the slide. there are lots of reasons for this that you might want to research or just cycle the slide.

second edit: if this were not a series 80, i'd already have one!!

Bear Tracks
10-31-2010, 11:44
I would send it back to! While the Remington R1 is no Wilson or Ed Brown, $600 + is not cheap either! A lot of guys and gals have to save for a year to lay that much down for a gun.

Black Cloud
10-31-2010, 12:50
I picked up my Remington 1911 today after it was test fired by the NYSP, they got their spent case so they're happy.
I got it home, sat in my office and just looked at it, admiring it and then I noticed some blotches on the finish on top between the rear sight and ejection port. Difficult to see, gotta look closely. Never noticed at the gun shop. Anyways, I was admiring the frame, nice and tight, no play horizontal or vertical and the lockup is tight too.
I dry fired it about a half dozen times, either by pulling the hammer back or cycling the slide. It does have a nice trigger, breaks crisp for an Series 80.
Then I take a side view look at the gun again and see the finish scraped along the bottom, WTF?!? I tore the gun down, cleaned it and saw what looked like metal shavings down where the recoil spring goes into the frame. There is also a scrape on the inside of the frame that is in the same place across from the slide.

I'm guessing you didn't break it down, clean, and lube before playing with it.
I'm not a pro but that might have helped. :dunno:
Also, I'm pretty sure that NYSP didn't help either (all new pistols should be cleaned and lubed before shooting {for inspection}).

AZ Husker
10-31-2010, 14:15
As long as people let manufacturers get away with shoddy workmanship, it will never improve.

Black Cloud
10-31-2010, 14:34
As long as people let manufacturers get away with shoddy workmanship, it will never improve.

Hey AZ, does leftover shavings count as shoddy work? Most 1911 owners will tell one to clean and lube before the first outing.

Alaskapopo
10-31-2010, 14:36

Your right but companies care more about profit than pride in workmanship and consumers today care more about cost than quality.
Pat

Black Cloud
10-31-2010, 14:43
Your right but companies care more about profit than pride in workmanship and consumers today care more about cost than quality.
Pat

Very true, but being a former business owner I can tell you it is hard to find good help. It doesn't help that alot of Americans have a sense of entitlement.

watarski
10-31-2010, 14:43
I'm glad you sent it in. Anxious to hear the outcome.

Also, a side question - what's the bottom line on not just pulling the trigger back to dry fire?

Alaskapopo
10-31-2010, 17:12
Very true, but being a former business owner I can tell you it is hard to find good help. It doesn't help that alot of Americans have a sense of entitlement.

True enough.

I have noticed this with new cops as well. When I was new I respected my FTO and SGT and up. If they told me to do something I did it with a yes sir. The new guys are not like that. They expect everything to be handed to them without working for it.
Pat

KB2MBC
10-31-2010, 19:29
I'm guessing you didn't break it down, clean, and lube before playing with it.
I'm not a pro but that might have helped. :dunno:
Also, I'm pretty sure that NYSP didn't help either (all new pistols should be cleaned and lubed before shooting {for inspection}).

That was my intent, to break it down, clean and lube it before going to the range. Didn't think I needed to do it just dry firing it a few times.
I always break down, clean & lube before the first trip to the range.

Black Cloud
11-01-2010, 05:24
That was my intent, to break it down, clean and lube it before going to the range. Didn't think I needed to do it just dry firing it a few times.
I always break down, clean & lube before the first trip to the range.

Dry firing is fine, its the manipulateing of the slide that is a problem. Trust me I have learned the hard way. :embarassed:
I had a Sprinfield Loaded with a huge chunk of metal that some how worked its way between the slide and receiver after me working the slide several times. After I notice the slide hanging up, I broke it down, and saw a nasty guoge on the race way (I think that is the terminalogy).

KB2MBC
11-01-2010, 13:02
I find it real hard to believe that the majority of gun shops break down, clean & lube a gun before it goes out to the showcase, especially Cabelas, bASS Pro & Gander Mountain.

Alaskapopo
11-01-2010, 13:17
I find it real hard to believe that the majority of gun shops break down, clean & lube a gun before it goes out to the showcase, especially Cabelas, bASS Pro & Gander Mountain.

You are right they don't. I worked in a gun shop back when I was going to college. The guns were not touched other than to put them in and out of the display case.
Pat

Hokie1911
11-01-2010, 14:02
Yep, I think it's as tragic when it happens to a 1911 as when it happens to a girl.

:rofl:

wingwlkr
11-01-2010, 14:38
Good choice sending it back. I believe Remington wants to produce a good product, but for whatever reason, sometimes QC fails. They should be grateful you made the effort to draw attention to this shortcoming.

Same thing happened to me recently when I bought a new Kahr P380 online. It was a mess. The black finish didn't completely cover the slide, the ejection port had three dings in it and the barrel hood was badly peened. I sent it back to Kahr and in a few weeks it came back looking almost new.

KB2MBC
12-11-2010, 18:45
Got my Remington R1 back today. They refinished the slide, test fired it and sent it out. Got to the gun shop, they handed it to me and with not even cycling the slide once I saw the finish starting to come off right in the same spot as before. I guess all they did was refinish the slide. Sooo... I saw a really nice Springfield TRP, it's a really nice one too, and I asked how much for a trade. I went ahead and traded the R1 for it, I'll pick it up next Saturday.

bac1023
12-11-2010, 19:11
Mine has been great. :)

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/006-12.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/010-7.jpg

woodrowNC
12-11-2010, 19:16
that's too bad. but, you get a nice springfield.

BEER
12-11-2010, 20:43
In this day and age $600 is a entry level 1911

maybe for you guys that can afford the 2k$+ 1911's, but for normal working slobs like myself a 1200$ gold cup is high end, so a 600$ gun is more of a middle of the road gun.

regardless of how much money you pay, or for whatever level of gun you buy, if you pay for a NEW gun then the damned thing should look new when it comes into your hands. used guns are expected to have scratches dings and blemishes, not new guns.

bac1023
12-11-2010, 20:54
maybe for you guys that can afford the 2k$+ 1911's, but for normal working slobs like myself a 1200$ gold cup is high end, so a 600$ gun is more of a middle of the road gun.

I hear you, but a $600 model is an entry level 1911, regardless of one's personal means. The 1911 range doesn't change from person to person. It is what it is. Likewise, a $1200 Gold Cup Trophy is not a high end 1911. Its a production model.

1911s are just different that way. $800-$1000 might get you a premium service pistol from Sig or HK, but it really only buys you a low end 1911.

regardless of how much money you pay, or for whatever level of gun you buy, if you pay for a NEW gun then the damned thing should look new when it comes into your hands. used guns are expected to have scratches dings and blemishes, not new guns.

I agree 100%. You shouldn't compromise. That is unacceptable wear on any new 1911.

MD357
12-11-2010, 21:11
Got my Remington R1 back today. They refinished the slide, test fired it and sent it out. Got to the gun shop, they handed it to me and with not even cycling the slide once I saw the finish starting to come off right in the same spot as before. I guess all they did was refinish the slide. Sooo... I saw a really nice Springfield TRP, it's a really nice one too, and I asked how much for a trade. I went ahead and traded the R1 for it, I'll pick it up next Saturday.

Good choice. Better all around 1911.

bac1023
12-11-2010, 21:37

Congrats on the TRP.

Which one did you get? :dunno:

Hokie1911
12-11-2010, 21:39
Yeah, that's a nice little upgrade over the R1.

Alaskapopo
12-12-2010, 00:09

Like others have said regardless of what a person can afford to pay. In the area of 1911's $600 is an entry level gun. A high end gun is going to starting at 3k.
Pat

bac1023
12-12-2010, 00:39
Yeah, that's a nice little upgrade over the R1.

I'll say :cool:

MD357
12-12-2010, 00:58
Like others have said regardless of what a person can afford to pay. In the area of 1911's $600 is an entry level gun. A high end gun is going to starting at 3k.
Pat

Obviously you've never handled a Taurus PT1911. :supergrin: :whistling:

bac1023
12-12-2010, 06:26
Obviously you've never handled a Taurus PT1911. :supergrin: :whistling:

:rofl::rofl:

That's the one exception to the rule. :rofl:

KB2MBC
12-12-2010, 07:04
Congrats on the TRP.

Which one did you get? :dunno:

Thanks,

Black Armory Kote

On a side note, I was able to walk away with with Trijicon sights on my G36, so I did leave with something.

bac1023
12-12-2010, 07:07
Thanks,

Black Armory Kote

On a side note, I was able to walk away with with Trijicon sights on my G36, so I did leave with something.

Congrats.

Which one?

There are two. One has a bull barrel and a rail. The other is more traditional.

KB2MBC
12-12-2010, 07:11
Congrats.

Which one?

There are two. One has a bull barrel and a rail. The other is more traditional.

The traditional, something about a rail on a 1911 I don't like.

dregotglock
12-12-2010, 07:57
I think its a shame when people are willing to accept a poor qc job regardless of the price - because prices are all relevant - 600.00 to you may not be a big deal but 600.00 to someone else can mean saving for 6-7 months to get it. I would not fix it - nor attempt to fix it - new is new

bac1023
12-12-2010, 08:09
The traditional, something about a rail on a 1911 I don't like.

You and me both. :)

Gary1911A1
12-12-2010, 09:45
I have an Armory TRP without the rail and I think they're best buy in the Springfield 1911 lineup. Good choice and if by some odd chance you do have a problem Springfield will make it right.

bac1023
12-12-2010, 10:05
I have an Armory TRP without the rail and I think they're best buy in the Springfield 1911 lineup. Good choice and if by some odd chance you do have a problem Springfield will make it right.

I think the stainless is a little less, actually.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/000_1681.jpg

jsanti13
12-12-2010, 17:56

So does management and company CEO's from big companies care about anything other than profits for their own sense of entitlement?

Smaller companies or store owners seem to care more about customers I can agree; but big companies?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

GVFlyer
12-12-2010, 22:19
So does management and company CEO's from big companies care about anything other than profits for their own sense of entitlement?

Smaller companies or store owners seem to care more about customers I can agree; but big companies?

You don't have a clue do you?

In my job I have come to know the CEOs of a number of Fortune 500 Companies. As a group they are remarkable for their dedication to their companies and employees, to their customers, to maintaining shareholder value and their amazing work ethic. Many are known for their philanthropy, such as Dr. Henry Samueli, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. Some, such as my boss, who anonymously contributed $20 million to church charities this year, prefer to remain under the radar.

My CEO maintains a rigorous schedule - he rarely gets home before 10:00 PM, blasts the weights, runs 5 miles, hits the rack and is back at his desk by 6:30 AM. Saturday meetings with his executive leadership team are routine. He frequently travels internationally, when I head for the hotel after a 14 hour flight, he goes to work.

Being a CEO with the current administrations anti-business - anti private sector stance is not easy. Every time I've had to take my CEO to DC to meet with Obama and his coterie of idiots, I've felt sorry for him knowing that he would have to futilely deal with dullards that he would not hire for any position in our company at any time under any condition or circumstance.

Alaskapopo
12-12-2010, 22:43

In my job I have come to know the CEOs of a number of Fortune 500 Companies. As a group they are remarkable for their dedication to their companies and employees, to their customers, to maintaining shareholder value and their amazing work ethic. Many are known for their philanthropy, such as Dr. Henry Samueli, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. Some, such as my boss, who anonymously contributed $20 million to church charities this year, prefer to remain under the radar.

My CEO maintains a rigorous schedule - he rarely gets home before 10:00 PM, blasts the weights, runs 5 miles, hits the rack and is back at his desk by 6:30 AM. Saturday meetings with his executive leadership team are routine. He frequently travels internationally, when I head for the hotel after a 14 hout flight, he goes to work.

Being a CEO with the current administrations anti-business - anti private sector stance is not easy. Every time I've had to take my CEO to DC to meet with Obama and his coterie of idiots, I've feel sorry for him knowing that he would have to futilely deal with dullards that he would not hire for any position in our company at any time under any condition or circumstance.
Sorry but not buying it. That was a nice rosey picture of some of the most self centered greed driven individuals in this nation. Some are good people as you allude to. However many more are not. The only thing worse than big government is big business controlling big government. What most CEO's care about is the bottom line with no regard to their employees or the consumers. Its CEO's who have been taking big bonus as their companies failed and as they layed off thousands of workers. It is CEO's who have come out of one of the worst recessions in history un scathed while working people are out of work and struggling to feed their families.
Pat

rsxr22
12-12-2010, 22:51
Definitely sounds like a crappy deal!! Atleast you will be ear to ear when you get out to the range with the TRP.

rcamp
12-12-2010, 23:03

My CEO maintains a rigorous schedule - he rarely gets home before 10:00 PM, blasts the weights, runs 5 miles, hits the rack and is back at his desk by 6:30 AM. Saturday meetings with his executive leadership team are routine. He frequently travels internationally, when I head for the hotel after a 14 hout flight, he goes to work.

Being a CEO with the current administrations anti-business - anti private sector stance is not easy. Every time I've had to take my CEO to DC to meet with Obama and his coterie of idiots, I've feel sorry for him knowing that he would have to futilely deal with dullards that he would not hire for any position in our company at any time under any condition or circumstance.

well said

MD357
12-12-2010, 23:10
Sorry but not buying it. That was a nice rosey picture of some of the most self centered greed driven individuals in this nation. Some are good people as you allude to. However many more are not. The only thing worse than big government is big business controlling big government. What most CEO's care about is the bottom line with no regard to their employees or the consumers. Its CEO's who have been taking big bonus as their companies failed and as they layed off thousands of workers. It is CEO's who have come out of one of the worst recessions in history un scathed while working people are out of work and struggling to feed their families.
Pat

Oh my, I must have somehow clicked on a link to democraticunderground.com

Alaskapopo
12-12-2010, 23:26

That would be no worse than tuning into Glen Beck or Rush for an hour on the Radio. Extremes rather they be right wing or left wing are not good. I am an independent moderate voter who votes for the candidate not the party.

GVFlyer
12-12-2010, 23:59

Too funny, but sadly accurate.

I can safely posit that those who castigate the CEOs of our nations largest companies, the economic engines that pay for all things in the public sector, have never met a Fortune 500 CEO, must less have the ability to claim any kind of a personal relationship with someone holding that position.

They are the repeaters of received ideas, pathetic drones to group thought.

Most, I suspect, have no idea how corporate officer compensation is determined - salaries over $1 million cannot be tax expensed and are rarely given, all must be approved by the board of directors and shareholders. Who are the shareholders? Over half of my companies stock is held by pension funds. Who holds the pension funds? Primarily unions like CALPERS and teacher's associations like CTA. So if, in the eyes of the board, the CEO's primary responsibility is maintaining shareholder value, who is profiting? The shareholders of course!

My CEO heads a Fortune 25 Company, meaning one of the 25 largest companies in the country. His compensation is almost entirely tied to performance - if the company and shareholders prosper, so does he. The corollary is also true.

I personally am grateful. In the 10 years I have been with the company, the CEO has grown the stock over 900% allowing me to pay for my home and build a 7 figure portfolio. This is how America is supposed to work - everybody gets a shot at the dream through inspiration and perspiration rather than achieving the equality of misery that accrues to government largess as the product of wealth transfer demagoguery.

MD357
12-13-2010, 11:16
That would be no worse than tuning into Glen Beck or Rush for an hour on the Radio. Extremes rather they be right wing or left wing are not good. I am an independent moderate voter who votes for the candidate not the party.

I agree and I'm happy for you. However, that doesn't provide a shred of validity to your blanket statement of CEOs in this country. Sure you'll have some bad here and there, and those will make the news over and over again. Not unlike bad LEOs eh? Nonetheless, I think if someone watches the financial sector rather closely they'd see the obvious false nature of your superficial claims.

Quack
12-13-2010, 12:18
uh, oh...i feel an IBTL is in order :whistling:

Hokie1911
12-13-2010, 12:33
:weirdthread:

Nickpisp
12-13-2010, 12:39
:cheerleader::grouphug::devildance::bunny::grill:

jsanti13
12-13-2010, 18:56

My CEO maintains a rigorous schedule - he rarely gets home before 10:00 PM, blasts the weights, runs 5 miles, hits the rack and is back at his desk by 6:30 AM. Saturday meetings with his executive leadership team are routine. He frequently travels internationally, when I head for the hotel after a 14 hour flight, he goes to work.

Being a CEO with the current administrations anti-business - anti private sector stance is not easy. Every time I've had to take my CEO to DC to meet with Obama and his coterie of idiots, I've felt sorry for him knowing that he would have to futilely deal with dullards that he would not hire for any position in our company at any time under any condition or circumstance.

Oh please!
Don't come on here trying to chastise me because you have a great boss that got you a seven figure portfolio for fetching his coffee.:whistling:
I would also have the rosy glasses on if I were you.:cool:
20 billion to church charities, rigorous schedules, etc,etc.

What about the blue collar worker, or the engineers that are constantly getting 401k matching funds lowered for the company bottom line.
No bonuses for company blue collar workers but plenty to go around for charities.

Take a look from the other side and you'll notice a different picture.

Yes there are some great CEO's but don't think for a minute that they are in it for anything other than their own self and family; just like the rest of us.

My reply is to poke fun at you; for you are the one without a clue.
When you came on here to defend yourself and boast about your portfolio; It was painfully obvious. :upeyes:

Cerberus owns The Freedom Group and just announced closing Bushmaster after closing Marlin.

Try and tell them employees how CEO's are so wonderful. :dunno:

Quack
12-13-2010, 18:58
yep, here comes the lock :whistling:

Alaskapopo
12-13-2010, 19:37
Oh please!
Don't come on here trying to chastise me because you have a great boss that got you a seven figure portfolio for fetching his coffee.:whistling:

What about the blue collar worker, or the engineers that are constantly getting 401k matching funds lowered for the company bottom line.
No bonuses for company blue collar workers but plenty to go around for charities.

Yes there are some great CEO's but don't think for a minute that they are in it for anything other than their own self and family; just like the rest of us.

When you came on here to defend yourself and boast about your portfolio; It was painfully obvious. :upeyes:

Cerberus owns The Freedom Group and just announced closing Bushmaster after closing Marlin.

Thank you. A voice of sanity in a sea of right wing propaganda.
Pat

FLIPPER 348
12-13-2010, 19:39
I refuse to read the chaff that got the thread to this point but what in the hell could get a thread about the 'fine art' that is the 1911 to a discussion about the useful idiots on AM talk radio???

Hokie1911
12-13-2010, 19:40
This is about as pointless as caliber wars, Glock/Sig/HK/M&P, Ford/Chevy, Coke/Pepsi, boxers/briefs, toilet paper roll over/under......

thecableguy
12-13-2010, 19:46
I refuse to read the chaff that got the thread to this point but what in the hell could get a thread about the 'fine art' that is the 1911 to a discussion about the useful idiots on AM talk radio???

:agree: :weirdthread:

G36_Me
12-14-2010, 18:51
the toilet paper goes over the top, everyone knows that

we can argue all we want about CEOs and guns, but we ALL KNOW what matters.

craig19
12-14-2010, 20:11
That sucks about the R1. It normally is a nice looking pistol.

bac1023
12-14-2010, 21:46

Yes it is.

Hokie1911
12-14-2010, 21:50
the toilet paper goes over the top, everyone knows that

we can argue all we want about CEOs and guns, but we ALL KNOW what matters.

Agreed. Over FTW.

http://www.paultastic.com/images/how-to-hang-toilet-paper-4.jpg

MD357
12-14-2010, 23:19
Thank you. A voice of sanity in a sea of right wing propaganda.
Pat

Yes, this country needs more handouts, everyone should be equal.

Nickpisp
12-15-2010, 08:34
Agreed. Over FTW.

Luckily it works either way. :rofl:

mstennes
12-15-2010, 15:50
Oh please!

I thought they were relocating Bushy, doesnt make allot of sense to own DPMS, and Bushy than build the AR's in 2 different locals. Heck neither are top tier anyway, so why the whinefest? Its not a huge loss anyway.

Alaskapopo
12-15-2010, 16:09
Yes, this country needs more handouts, everyone should be equal.

How in the hell did you get that out of my post. You're right a lot of the handouts need to stop. Lets start with Cooperate Welfare.

RMTactical
12-15-2010, 18:16
I wouldn't accept that even for a $300 gun. Contact them, send them the pic and then send them the gun.

For $300 I would be all over that.

KB2MBC
12-15-2010, 20:11
agreed. Over ftw.

yes! This!

KB2MBC
12-15-2010, 20:14
Yes it is a nice looking pistol. I think it should look nice after 100 rounds through it too.
Maybe I'll try it again in a few years. In the mean time, I'll be enjoying my TRP. (hopefully!)

bac1023
12-15-2010, 21:35
Agreed. Over FTW.

:rofl:

MD357
12-15-2010, 23:28
How in the hell did you get that out of my post. You're right a lot of the handouts need to stop. Lets start with Cooperate Welfare.

You were polarizing comments to the right wing, so I figured I'd be sarcastic the other way. :supergrin:

However, the irony and hypocrisy of this is that you're talking about gov handouts and corporate welfare living in Alaska? How many CORPORATIONS and Alaskans get welfare of some sort? Just curious.

TheDog21
12-17-2010, 11:54
I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or not but because it deals with the Remington R1, I'll just ask here. My old man just bought one and is looking to get more magazines for it. My question is whether or not a mag from Wilson Tactical or Chip McCormick will work in his gun? I've never shot or handled a 1911 and just flat out don't know. Please enlighten me.

Hokie1911
12-17-2010, 12:29
I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or not but because it deals with the Remington R1, I'll just ask here. My old man just bought one and is looking to get more magazines for it. My question is whether or not a mag from Wilson Tactical or Chip McCormick will work in his gun? I've never shot or handled a 1911 and just flat out don't know. Please enlighten me.

What are you thinking asking a Remington R1 question in a thread about the Remington R1? :rofl:

Wilson Combat, Tripp, or McCormick mags will work fine. :thumbsup:

GVFlyer
12-18-2010, 01:58
Oh please!

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I've spent the last week at a company off-site in New Orleans and answering your emotional charges frankly didn't compare with dinner at Antoine's followed by Sazeracs at the Carousel Bar at the Monteleone and sweet jazz at Preservation Hall.

Actually, I manage over $60 million in corporate assets, what do you do?

At my company, even admins don't get coffee for anyone. As a matter of fact, it is a very egalitarian company, the executive leadership team collegially works together to achieve common goals and the very best way to be eliminated would be to demonstrate an ego. It is a company that empowers women and toward that end, my wife is the chief-of-staff for a segment CEO. The company is a complete meritocracy, at 23, my daughter is the youngest director in the company. For that matter, in the history of the company.

Are you saying that it is somehow bad to donate to charities? Charitable donations are the American way. In any event, among over 80,000 employees we have no "blue collar workers", however, benefits such as stock options extend all the way to the administrative staff. I'm the closest thing the company has to an engineer. However, my previous company, a part of General Dynamics is presently in the process of hiring a 1,000 new employees, a significant number of which are engineers and are offering them a world class compensation and benefits package. What does this mean? It means that the engineers that you are referencing are either under-performers (or they would have other options) or their company is not competitive. That is business Darwinism.

Clearly, you know no fortune 500 CEOs, most are motivated by other things than the accumulation of wealth. A Dutch billionaire who I worked for lived to "put the sword in" on a deal, money was meaningless to him, but his drive was beneficial to all in the company. I have a personal relationship with my present CEO and have asked him why he stays in the face of a hostile government administration when he clearly doesn't have to. He told me that, "A lot of good people worked really hard to make the company what it is and I have a responsibility to them".

I'm the one who doesn't have a clue when you're the one who doesn't know how executive compensation is determined and that failure is not rewarded? Again, I'm certainly not boasting about my compensation or financial holdings, I'm just pointing out that I'm an average guy who has done well because my CEO values his team and recognizes hard work. Again, I ask - isn't that what America is supposed to be about - succeeding by hard work and a personal desire to better oneself?

A person I know worked for Cerberus prior to assuming a leadership role at Hawker-Beechcraft, so I know a little about how that private equity company works. They would be remiss if they did not consolidate manufacturing efforts. Additionally, Maine is a hostile environment for business and most of the 73 employees at Bushmaster will be offered an opportunity to relocate. This same individual was the CEO of Gulfstream Aerospace when I had a position there, it was clear that all of us had a performance based relationship with him, but if you worked for him, he would go to the mat for you. What more could you ask of any boss?

Eagle22
12-18-2010, 14:12
So Remington R1 or a Springfield GI/Mil spec for first 1911 ?

KB2MBC
12-18-2010, 16:29
Got my R1 replacement today:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad207/kb2mbc/trp.jpg

Still felt a little sorry for myself so I have an RIA set aside for me, that will be the first gun of 2011. That will be a bang-around gun. :supergrin:

Hokie1911
12-18-2010, 16:38
Nice! :thumbsup:

Quack
12-18-2010, 18:23
So Remington R1 or a Springfield GI/Mil spec for first 1911 ?

i like the Remington ;)

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1130577281_tCVND-L.jpg

GVFlyer
12-18-2010, 19:39
I like the Remington as well. I put some slim VZs on mine to facilitate carrying it. There's a lot of value for the price in the R1.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/xm813/RemiR1.jpg?t=1292722569

pezzulli
12-19-2010, 02:06
Great decision to trade-up to the Springfield TRP!

pezzulli
12-19-2010, 02:11
edit to add: i never pull my hammer back to dry fire a 1911, I cycle the slide. there are lots of reasons for this that you might want to research or just cycle the slide.

I have never heard that before. Please post reasons for not doing this. Thanks.

John

Eagle22
12-19-2010, 06:50
i like the Remington ;)

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1130577281_tCVND-L.jpg

Yes Mighty fine looking and feels good in the hand.

Looking at the Spring Mil Spec and the Rem R1. I liked the Spring RO but hated the sights.

Can change the front sight to a fiber optic for $40 so that will help.

Nickpisp
12-19-2010, 10:20
I have never heard that before. Please post reasons for not doing this. Thanks.

John

The interweb claims it can ruin a trigger job. I'm not convinced that it's any different from cycling the slide.