Redding Competition Pro Series Carbide 3-Die Set [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Redding Competition Pro Series Carbide 3-Die Set

Bello
10-29-2010, 15:30
i picked up this set for my 650 to see how uber accurate this set of dies is! (9MM)

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/610299.jpg

Fire_Medic
10-29-2010, 15:37
I LOVE the Pro Series T/C set in 9mm that I use with my 550. So much so I bought the same dies for 45ACP, mine are pro series not competition pro series.

Freakshow recommended these dies to me when I started loading 10mm/40SW and I never had any issues with the famous 40 bulge, I think the sizing dies in these sets are some of the best in the business.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 15:40
I was on the fence about buying the entire set. Pretty spendy... the seater is awesome!
Curious to know if the sizing die is any better, or the crimping die as easy to clean as the Dillon ones.

Bello
10-29-2010, 16:26
ill let you know mitchell! i got like 4 die sets for 9mm now lol

p.s. i also think that i will only be using redding dies in my 650. I keep hearing very good things about them; I guess thats why the blue press and enos have redding dies on the site and booklet

ron59
10-29-2010, 19:54
I have the Competition Seating die, and love it.

Next caliber I start loading (probably .45ACP), I'll go with their complete set.

albyihat
10-29-2010, 20:34
redding sizing dies size smaller then other manufacturers in .40/10mm I don't know about 9mm though. It was for this reason I went with them.

HAMMERHEAD
10-30-2010, 06:32
Love the Comp. seater, you don't need much/any flair to seat the bullets.

jbrown13
10-30-2010, 09:31
IMHO the Redding Competition Seating Die is the best seating die on the market. I have tried Lee, Hornady and RCBS, and none come even close to the Redding for OAL control and straight bullet seating.

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 10:00
I don't see what could be so special about the sizer. A sizer either works or does not work (no matter who makes it). So whats the point of paying more the a Redding Sizer (assumeing the one you have works)? I know Freak likes them but what about it is better/nicer/improvement? All my Lee sizers work great in 9mm/10mm/.40.

Taper crimp dies for me never do anything but remove the flair. They don't crimp. You can remove the flair in a pistol round using the seating die (which is a Roll Crimp for crying out loud) in 9mm and most pistol diesets. So once again I don't understand the point of a expensive/special crimp die when all it does is remove the flare. Dillon has a much nicer crimp setup especially if you use lead bullets.

That Seating die is nice. I do wonder how it would work with oversized (for that caliber) lead bulelts.

All the talk about these things and besides the seating die I just don't understand what is so special about the sizer and the crimp?

Bello
10-30-2010, 12:41
I don't see what could be so special about the sizer. A sizer either works or does not work (no matter who makes it). So whats the point of paying more the a Redding Sizer (assumeing the one you have works)? I know Freak likes them but what about it is better/nicer/improvement? All my Lee sizers work great in 9mm/10mm/.40.

Taper crimp dies for me never do anything but remove the flair. They don't crimp. You can remove the flair in a pistol round using the seating die (which is a Roll Crimp for crying out loud) in 9mm and most pistol diesets. So once again I don't understand the point of a expensive/special crimp die when all it does is remove the flare. Dillon has a much nicer crimp setup especially if you use lead bullets.

That Seating die is nice. I do wonder how it would work with oversized (for that caliber) lead bulelts.

All the talk about these things and besides the seating die I just don't understand what is so special about the sizer and the crimp?

i guess when i roll some out when they come i will let ya know

vtducrider
10-30-2010, 13:18
I bought my 550 used, and it came a set of Redding comp die in 45ACP. They work very well, the OAL is much tighter than my 40 and 9mm, for which I use Dillon die. I have a question about the Redding, how are you supposed to tighten them down on the tool head? I make the small screw on the dial (the black ring shaped dial that controls the coarse height) as tight as I can, but I can still turn the the knob (not the adjustment, lol) very easily, and they come loose. I can tighten the Dillon die with a 1" wrench, once the height is right, I don't think about it. But with the Redding, I periodically check to see if any of the die is loose. Haven't found them loose yet, but I am a little paranoid. Any thoughts?

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 14:00
I bought my 550 used, and it came a set of Redding comp die in 45ACP. They work very well, the OAL is much tighter than my 40 and 9mm, for which I use Dillon die. I have a question about the Redding, how are you supposed to tighten them down on the tool head? I make the small screw on the dial (the black ring shaped dial that controls the coarse height) as tight as I can, but I can still turn the the knob (not the adjustment, lol) very easily, and they come loose. I can tighten the Dillon die with a 1" wrench, once the height is right, I don't think about it. But with the Redding, I periodically check to see if any of the die is loose. Haven't found them loose yet, but I am a little paranoid. Any thoughts?

Tighten it down with moderate finger strength with the stations loaded to the ZERO Height. Then tighten the set screw.

Bello
10-30-2010, 15:23
Tighten it down with moderate finger strength with the stations loaded to the ZERO Height. Then tighten the set screw.

gah the set screw? hell no that will destroy threads or at least thats what i hope your not talking about?!? id rather buy a hornady one and toss it on the die or put the 1" dillons on it

Ahmid
10-30-2010, 15:33
Redding competition seating die is the best. The rest of the Redding dies are no better or worse than RCBS, Hornady, Lee, CH, Bonanza or Dillon. That of course is my opinion.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 16:10
gah the set screw? hell no that will destroy threads or at least thats what i hope your not talking about?!? id rather buy a hornady one and toss it on the die or put the 1" dillons on it

The brass Redding lock collar set screw won't hurt the steel die body thread, especially if you use moderate torque as you should to correctly lock it down... I debated using an extra Dillon lock ring but opted to save it for another conversion later down the road.

Fire_Medic
10-30-2010, 17:10

"For Me" the Redding dies run smoother in my 550, and they're a hell of a lot easier to adjust.

Just my opinion anyways.

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 17:47
"For Me" the Redding dies run smoother in my 550, and they're a hell of a lot easier to adjust.

Just my opinion anyways.

So the sizer is smoother?

Just looking for some clarity with this stuff. I can't see how the sizer or the crimp is easier to adjust. Sizer just get tightened till it touchs the shellplate basicaly, crimp is adjusted the same as most other crimp die.

Seater is a huge improvement. Thats a given.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 17:52

Just my opinion anyways.

Smoother as in? The T/C is smoother? Running smother could actually be a case of not sizing as well as others... know what I mean?
I looked at a set today in at one of our local shops. I agree the crimp die may be initially easier to adjust, but your gonna need to as is has no quick provision for cleaning as the Dillon crimp dies do... pull the pin, run a solvent moistened rag through the die body, wipe the inner with the same, I then wipe it down with a little CLP moistened patch, reinstall and your good to go... no readjustment for crimp necessary as it was never disturbed.

I'm debating getting a set of the pro-series T/C dies in .380 ACP and selling off my SDB set... just load it on the XL650 1000 rounds at a time, be done with it 1 hour every 6 months...

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 18:05
My Lee are pretty smooth. But I lube my brass anyway so it sure better be smooth.

It's only a tiny 9mm/10mm case. They are not hard to size anyway.

Someone in another thread said the Redding are the only 9mm sizer with a full length carbide sizer that is also taperd. Lee is tapered. I have no idea if the Lee is a full length sizer. It works so that is all the matters to me. In the same thread the guy was complaining about the Dillongnot sizing 9mm right. I have read that some 9mm sizers are not taperd. That would be a issue to me and I would not use that die. Lee makes a pretty good sizer in my book. I really like the Dillon Crimp die because it's so easy to clean. I never noticed a difference between the Dillon and the Lee crimp dies besides that.

How is the Redding easier to adjust then the other crimp dies?

Bello
10-30-2010, 18:16
i have a set of lee 9mm dies and i don't believe that lee full length sizes maybe like 2/3 to 3/4's

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 18:35
i have a set of lee 9mm dies and i don't believe that lee full length sizes maybe like 2/3 to 3/4's

The Lee 9mm and the 10mm/40 have exactly the same base and carbide ring height from what I can tell. The carbide ring is nearly touching the shellplate in both dies. They couldn't make them go any lower. So then the question is does the Redding Carbide ring extend farther into the die? I have no freaking clue. I do know the Lee sizes the case mouth plenty small enough for proper bullet tension. I also know the Lee is tapered. Most people won't be suprised but I will repeat it just for those that don't know. I have measured the Lee Sizers. They size to the base, they also size the mouth properly. Thats all the maters to me.

dudel
10-30-2010, 18:56
The Lee 9mm and the 10mm/40 have exactly the same base and carbide ring height from what I can tell. The carbide ring is nearly touching the shellplate in both dies. They couldn't make them go any lower. So then the question is does the Redding Carbide ring extend farther into the die? I have no freaking clue. I do know the Lee sizes the case mouth plenty small enough for proper bullet tension. I also know the Lee is tapered. Most people won't be suprised but I will repeat it just for those that don't know. I have measured the Lee Sizers. They size to the base, they also size the mouth properly. Thats all the maters to me.

All sizer dies get adjusted down to the shell holder. They don't go any lower. The difference in the sizers is how generous a flare/bell is cut into the carbide mouth. A wider flare/bell will not size the brass down as far.

Lee, Dillon, Hornady and RCBS dies tend to be used on progressive presses, and have wider flares at the sizer mouth (Dillon and Lee brag on this). Redding and Forester have alwasys tended to be more handloader/precision oriented (my opinion). You tend to see them more on SS presses. As such, IIRC, they then to have less flare at the carbide mouth. (This could be why one poster says it takes care of cases with glock bulge) The lack of flare is fine for SS and progressives that index with very little slop; not so good for loose progressives.

In the end though, if they fit in the case guage, it's all good. So a sizer with a bigger flare might be a better choice on a progressive machine.

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 19:09
All sizer dies get adjusted down to the shell holder. They don't go any lower. The difference in the sizers is how generous a flare/bell is cut into the carbide mouth. A wider flare/bell will not size the brass down as far.

Lee carbide ring is lower then the RCBS and Dillon. Lee has a small flare built into the carbide ring and none in the actual metal of the die. RCBS and Dillon both have a metal flare and then a carbide ring that does not have a flare. I am going from memory as I don't have anything other then Lee at my house now. But, I have looked at them past and measured them when I had them.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 19:15
Lee carbide ring is lower then the RCBS and Dillon. Lee has a small flare built into the carbide ring and none in the actual metal of the die. RCBS and Dillon both have a metal flare and then a carbide ring that does not have a flare. I am going from memory as I don't have anything other then Lee at my house now. But, I have looked at them past and measured them when I had them.

Just been looking at Midway and started thinking... may get a Lee carbide sizer/decapping and Redding taper crimp die for my .380 ACP
Then use my Redding 9mm competition seater for it, it's pretty much the same profile and bullet diameter so it should work just fine I would think.

dudel
10-30-2010, 19:20

Don't have a Dillon handy, but their catalog (always keep those) shows and mentions "radiused carbide". My RCBS and Hornady sizer dies have carbide inserts that are flush with the die mouth. The carbide is tapered on both. It's easy to see on the Hornday (it's TiN - sorta gold in color), harder to see on the RCBS. You have to look very closely to see the carbide insert. The case mouth is very well finished. It would be easy not to see the carbide insert on the RCBS die; but it's there. You can see the carbide insert on page 5 here: http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/ReloadingDieInstructions.pdf

It goes all the way to the bottom of the die. You can even make out a bit of the flare on the carbide.

HAMMERHEAD
10-30-2010, 19:23
Redding uses a different type of carbide in their sizers that is supposed to be more lubric (slicker) than other brands.

Redding equipment is also 100% American made, unlike Lee (or is it Li?).

dudel
10-30-2010, 19:38
Redding uses a different type of carbide in their sizers that is supposed to be more lubric (slicker) than other brands.

Redding equipment is also 100% American made, unlike Lee (or is it Li?).

In the case of dies, I think Li, RCBS and Hornday are made in the US. Add Forester to the list as they get their dies from RCBS. Lee claims to make them in Wisconsin. I've been to the Hornday plant in Grand Island, NE, and I saw the RCBS die facility on a recent Midway Night at the Range show.

There are different grades of carbide in use. For example, Hornady uses TiN (Titanium Nitride) for their sizers. I forget what the advantage of TiN is supposed to be; but it's worked well for me from day 1.

Bello
10-30-2010, 21:48
yes the dies i posted above are made for progressive presses the dies have been extended some to put on progressives and have a little more flare for progressives ill post info on the product when i receive them next week. my bday party moneys covered the cost. its great to be in a big italian family :tongueout: the gifting is the best

Colorado4Wheel
10-31-2010, 07:19
What other dies are you using now?

Bello
10-31-2010, 14:37
What other dies are you using now?

i have a set of lee 9mm, kinda like them idk why rcbs 9mm dillon 9mm on the 650 atm and this week coming up i will have the redding set

Colorado4Wheel
10-31-2010, 14:48
It will be interesting how you like the dies compared to the Lee and others. I wish it was easier to measure the results of 9mm sizers. With it being a tapered case it's hard to get a consitent measurement on specific parts of the case.

Do you have a case gauge in 9mm?

Bello
10-31-2010, 14:59
It will be interesting how you like the dies compared to the Lee and others. I wish it was easier to measure the results of 9mm sizers. With it being a tapered case it's hard to get a consitent measurement on specific parts of the case.

Do you have a case gauge in 9mm?

ya i use the l.e. wilson 9mm case gauge; hoping the reddings are just great cause i will just buy them instead of dillons. but i also have the toolhead clamp kit mod ready to roll when i set it all up for monday or tuesday keeps the dillon head from moving and better overall seating lengths i will let you know though.. i always had my eye out for a set of hornady 9mm dies but i dont know i dont really need em i guess

MoNsTeR
11-01-2010, 07:39
the high-dollar Redding sizers have their sizing ring made from titanium carbide, rather than tungsten carbide