Took my new Remington 870 Tactical to the range and WOW! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Took my new Remington 870 Tactical to the range and WOW!

Glock21sf-miami
10-29-2010, 16:51
I have always been a handgun guy and just recently purchased my first shotgun, a remington 870 express tactical.
Cleaned it a bit and took it to the range. I fired 20 '00' buck rounds and 20 winchester Super X rifled slugs. Being used to the power of the .45 acp and the .357 magnum I can tell you this sucker is awesome. Slugs were incredibly accurate at 100 yards and packed a stout recoil. Buckshot was a bit easier on the shoulder but not as fun....

I am very glad I added this firearm to my stable. It is really the ultimate HD weapon.

It now lives under my bed.... Thought I would share..

mixflip
10-29-2010, 17:08
Welcome to the wonderful world of shotguns!!! Nothing makes targets disappear better than a shotgun. So much fun.

1 old 0311
10-29-2010, 17:28
I LOVE my handguns but it's real hard to beat the power, and fun, of a scatter gun.:cool:

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 17:35
Congrats good choice.... buy a bunch of cheap shells birdshot, whaterever. I like the S&B 00 buckshoot and keep oiling, racking it hard and shooting it to break it in. I put over 200 rounds in mine the first few weeks and it smoothed out wonderfully. Added a Wilson "Big button" safety and a tactical sling and to me it was complete.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=180011&d=1251131024

southernshooter
10-29-2010, 19:10
The only thing I don't like about mine is the hard rubber recoil pad. After 3 slugs I'm thinking "this things killin me" Looking at limb savers etc now. Don't want to add length to the stock with a slip on.

aippi
10-29-2010, 19:23
$37 for the R3 ( made by Limbsaver ) from Remington or $19 for the Remington Super Cell and you change the whole expirience of shooting a shotgun. Having fun should not hurt so these pads are the best addition you can put on the Remington Shotgun.

K.Kiser
10-29-2010, 19:49
Pistols are nice and fill their intended usage very well but when the situation allows, nothing stops the bull****** like a shotgun... Congrats and have fun till your finger and shoulder fall off, I promise it won't wear out...

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 00:34
$37 for the R3 ( made by Limbsaver ) from Remington or $19 for the Remington Super Cell and you change the whole expirience of shooting a shotgun. Having fun should not hurt so these pads are the best addition you can put on the Remington Shotgun.

Does the Remington Super Cell really make that much difference?
I had a couple of informal lessons from a personal friend that is an expert shotgun markman. He gave me some shooting tips and helped me improve my stance that alone made the perceive recoil about 30-40% less with my factory stock and pad. I have been debating a Knoxx recoil reducing set-up but really have got accustomed to the traditional stock set-up.

Glock21sf-miami
10-30-2010, 18:31

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking about just putting a rag or old shirt between the stock and my shoulder to improve recoil a bit.... I definitely will get the Super cell...

sierrafast
10-31-2010, 12:30
Congrats on your recent purchase. I also love mine.

dpmd
10-31-2010, 12:55
Congrats good choice.... buy a bunch of cheap shells birdshot, whaterever. I like the S&B 00 buckshoot and keep oiling, racking it hard and shooting it to break it in. I put over 200 rounds in mine the first few weeks and it smoothed out wonderfully. Added a Wilson "Big button" safety and a tactical sling and to me it was complete.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=180011&d=1251131024

OP, sorry for the thread jack...but, Boxerglocker - What is the attachment that you are using for your TLR-1? I have an an extra TLR-1 laying around. Your setup would certainly be a less expensive alternative to the Surefire forend options.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

David Armstrong
10-31-2010, 15:19
Does the Remington Super Cell really make that much difference?
I had a couple of informal lessons from a personal friend that is an expert shotgun markman. He gave me some shooting tips and helped me improve my stance that alone made the perceive recoil about 30-40 less with my factory stock and pad. I have been debating a Knoxx recoil reducing set-up but really have got accustomed to the traditional stock set-up.
That is the key. Most folks have never received proper instruction in how to properly mount and hold the shotgun and what stances work best for different situations. Once they learn the tricks, however, the recoil becomes quite manageable.

Teecher45
10-31-2010, 20:53
I picked up mine Friday, haven't even fired it yet. How difficult to put one of those recoil pads on it? Not a gunsmith, can I do it?
Also boxerglocker, got to know how that light is attached.

CBennett
11-01-2010, 09:59
I have always been a handgun guy and just recently purchased my first shotgun, a remington 870 express tactical.
Cleaned it a bit and took it to the range. I fired 20 '00' buck rounds and 20 winchester Super X rifled slugs. Being used to the power of the .45 acp and the .357 magnum I can tell you this sucker is awesome. Slugs were incredibly accurate at 100 yards and packed a stout recoil. Buckshot was a bit easier on the shoulder but not as fun....

I am very glad I added this firearm to my stable. It is really the ultimate HD weapon.

It now lives under my bed.... Thought I would share..

They really are had to beat..with good slugs and a decent barrel and optics at 100 yds a Shotgun can be just if not MORE accurate than a AK 47.(ive seen BETTER by FAR groups out of a dedicated rifled barrel slug gun(deer hunting) rig at 100 yds than a AK..this was first hand witness. plus at closer ranges being able to change to buck shot really cant beat the versatility. 2-4 MOA at 100 YDS(or better) with slugs and then as long as you do your part 9+ rounds of buckshot per shell at closer ranges per shot...really hard to beat.

thought this was pretty cool lol

http://www.gunblast.com/Ithaca-TacticalSRT.htm

ScrappyDoo
11-01-2010, 14:04
Came very close to gifting myself with a Rem 870 "HD" they called it, let me see if I can find it on the sight...

The Remington site is calling it the Model 870 Express Synthetic 7-Round , Dick's was calling it simply "HD" and it was $379.99 .. it looked and felt good and I recently had a very serious medical thing that I survived, and as no one else even got me a card or flowers or chocolates (LOL I didnt expect anything but I guess I was secretly hoping) I was/am going to buy myself an "Alive and still able to walk" present, so anyway I was going to buy this, it was this or the new Savage Edge... but they didn't have the Edge in .308 and I liked liked this shotgun but it had a bead sight, no ghost rings, and not even drilled and tapped so... I made the mistake when I bought the great deal Benelli Supernova 24" turkey tactical gun, it wasn't what I really wanted and I took a beating getting rid of it ( I knew I'd never use it).. so I couldn'tdo the exact same thing here.

But the gun looked and felt nice, one thing about Rem 870's I've felt (the tactical ones at least) is they are nice and thin and "smaller" compared to my Mossberg 930 SPX and the bad mo fo big ass Benelli ... perfect for an average-smaller than dude like me.

Boxerglocker
11-01-2010, 17:30
OP, sorry for the thread jack...but, Boxerglocker - What is the attachment that you are using for your TLR-1? I have an an extra TLR-1 laying around. Your setup would certainly be a less expensive alternative to the Surefire forend options.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

That's the cheapo Streamlight mount which works... but you have to watch it as it, mounts on the extension hold down collar. I have since removed it and opted for a Mesa tactical magazine tube mounted surefire model. The TLR-1 is back on my G19 and sits in the bedside table drawer at night.

http://www.mesatactical.com/images/94.jpg

aippi
11-01-2010, 20:58
Yes of course know how to properly fire the weapon is the key with recoil, however, the energy is still transfered to the but plate and when that butt plate is a recoil pad some of the energy is asorbed. This means a lot on those 100+ 00 days in training.

I have R3's (made for Remington by Limbsaver) on my weapons and I build with these and the new Super Cell. I prefer the R3 but deffinately see the effectiveness of the Super Cell. And yes, I have SpecOps stocks and even the Mesa with Endine Buffer. Life punishes me enough so when I find a way out of some discomfort I take it.

ET.
11-02-2010, 07:33
I picked up mine Friday, haven't even fired it yet. How difficult to put one of those recoil pads on it? Not a gunsmith, can I do it?
Also boxerglocker, got to know how that light is attached.

It is very simple to install the Super Cell recoil pad. I installed mine in about 5 minutes using a screw driver. You unscrew 2 phillips screws that are in the 2 holes in the OEM pad. Slap on the new recoil pad and screw in the 2 screws. It's very hard to screw it up (unless you are holding the gun over your head...then you have to screw it up!!!:rofl:(OK, OK maybe it wasn't THAT funny))

...Oh & I installed my streamlight on my 870 using a Laserlite tri-rail weaver style mount. It mounts to the mag tube. Works great for me.

Teecher45
11-03-2010, 10:07
Actually I thought it was pretty darn funny! Thanks guys, and congrats Glock21, I think we'll love em.

glockenturm
11-12-2010, 07:20
My 870 sat around collecting dust til I bought this..

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm

No pain, bruising, or dread when firing slugs. That's all we can fire at the indoor ranges here. I look forward to the next time.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y301/leadsled213/032.jpg

Glock27NY
11-12-2010, 11:48
Yes of course know how to properly fire the weapon is the key with recoil, however, the energy is still transfered to the but plate and when that butt plate is a recoil pad some of the energy is asorbed. This means a lot on those 100+ 00 days in training.

I have R3's (made for Remington by Limbsaver) on my weapons and I build with these and the new Super Cell. I prefer the R3 but deffinately see the effectiveness of the Super Cell. And yes, I have SpecOps stocks and even the Mesa with Endine Buffer. Life punishes me enough so when I find a way out of some discomfort I take it.

Which one do you think works better,SpecOps or Mesa?

AC45ACP
11-12-2010, 15:41
there awesome and a lot of fun!
my latest Boomstick!!

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/870Remcamo.jpghttp://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/870remcamo3.jpg

den888
11-22-2010, 22:58
Thanks for the report !