My pot is here:) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My pot is here:)

shotgunred
10-29-2010, 18:10
My lee 20lb pot and dies have made it here just in time for the weekend:)
Better yet they got here when the wife was away.:whistling:
Now I have something fun to do this weekend.

varmint6
10-29-2010, 18:14
hmmm not what I thought..

GioaJack
10-29-2010, 18:18
POT? POT?

DON'T ANYBODY RAID... THIS IS A MOVE!

PUT YOR WALLS UP AGAINST THE HANDS!!!

WHEW... good thing I was in the area. Okay, okay, move along... nothing to see here. :whistling:

Jack

Blitzo
10-29-2010, 18:18
Nice pot!

John Rambo
10-29-2010, 18:21
Lets get a few people together at your house with theirs and we could make a pot circle.

WiskyT
10-29-2010, 18:34
As long as you don't inhale the smoke, you can be President. Oh wait, our current President used drugs regularly and bragged about it in his book. You'll have to come up with something better.

Mopery. Go expose yourelf to some blind people and make sure you go on MTV and brag about it and you can be President.

fredj338
10-29-2010, 22:39
Hey, they are trying to legalize pot out here on Tuesday!
Cool! Now you have an entire new hobby to take up all your time.:rofl:

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 23:32
Man you guys me thinking now... I actualy have a ex brother in law who's best friend manages a Les Swab tire shop out in Eastern WA. I already spoke to him and he said he could get me a 5 gallon pail of wheel weights for FREE!

So to get started with say .45 ACP... I've been brain storming putting a list together so far have:

20 pound Lee pot.
Dipper
Ingot mold
Bullet mold (200 RN)
Mold handles
Gloves
Thermometer
Tumble lube

What else?

Bob2223
10-30-2010, 07:42
Man you guys me thinking now... I actualy have a ex brother in law who's best friend manages a Les Swab tire shop out in Eastern WA. I already spoke to him and he said he could get me a 5 gallon pail of wheel weights for FREE!

So to get started with say .45 ACP... I've been brain storming putting a list together so far have:

20 pound Lee pot.
Dipper
Ingot mold
Bullet mold (200 RN)
Mold handles
Gloves
Thermometer
Tumble lube

What else?

BG, if your gonna make ingots out of those free WW a bigger pot and maybe a LP burner.
As many rounds as you and your GF go through I would consider a lube sizer instead of the TL.
TL is a little more time consuming ,stinky and messy but it does work.
I know your schedule doesn't leave a lot of time and casting and lubing.
You could try the TL route to see if you even like casting then look at a Star sizer.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_2883.jpg
Bob

fredj338
10-30-2010, 09:54

20 pound Lee pot.
Dipper
Ingot mold
Bullet mold (200 RN)
Mold handles
Gloves
Thermometer
Tumble lube

What else?
If you are gonna use a BP pot, you don't really need a dipper. Like Bob said, TL is not for everyone. I tried it early on, then went straight to a luber/sizer. Don't even consider anything less than the Star/Magma, as the slightly higher cost is easily offset by the nearly double / hour output.
For smelting a used turkey fryer & cast iron dutch oven or large skillet, slotted ss kitchen spoon & ss soup ladle for getting lead into the ingot mold & you are smelting.:supergrin: BTW, get all the ww you can get from WA, they are going lead free 1/2011. SO like Kommiefornia, lead ww will be a thing of the past sooner than later. They banned them here in Jan & IF you can find any buckets, the are almost 50% non lead already.

shotgunred
10-30-2010, 10:08
Before I decided to give casting a try I went to the scrap yard and checked. They have tons of it and sell it for 60 cents a pound. so 9mm will cost around $10.80, 40 will cost around $16.20, and 45 will cost around $18.75.

I will get any free or low cost lead I can get but I wanted to know make sure that it would be worth doing if I had to buy it all. Around here Les Swab charges $20 for one of their empty lube containers full of wheel weights. Looks to be around a gallon in size. Unless your going over there for something else the gas will cost more than just buying lead from the scrap yard.

GioaJack
10-30-2010, 10:14
Red:

If you're anywhere close to marinas, used boat dealerships or repair yards check them out for ballast from the keels of sailboats... it's a wonderful source of lead and they used to be very generous when giving it away.

It tend to be pure lead but mixing an alloy is no big deal. Every once in a while you hit the jackpot and end up with 7 or 8 hundred pounds in one scrounging trip.

Ya gotta be imaginative.

Jack

fredj338
10-30-2010, 10:34
Before I decided to give casting a try I went to the scrap yard and checked. They have tons of it and sell it for 60 cents a pound. so 9mm will cost around $10.80, 40 will cost around $16.20, and 45 will cost around $18.75.

I will get any free or low cost lead I can get but I wanted to know make sure that it would be worth doing if I had to buy it all. Around here Les Swab charges $20 for one of their empty lube containers full of wheel weights. Looks to be around a gallon in size. Unless your going over there for something else the gas will cost more than just buying lead from the scrap yard.

If you can pick & choose your scrap lead @ the yard, probably a better bet than $20 bucket. I used to get mine in 3gal buckets, about 110# pounds, so maybe 40# in that 1gal bucket. Then there are non lead ww that are not useable. Out here now, getting a bucket w/ 60% lead ww is pretty good. So now you are down to say 22# of useable after smelting & skimming off the dross & clips for $20? If the yard lests you pick, you can get the biggest lead ww you can, less scrap wt from the clips & you are starting w/ 100% useable mat'l for 60c/#, bargain.:supergrin: Don't over look roofing lead & plumbing lead at the scrap yard. It's softer, nearly pure lead, but less waste. For most pistol bullets, upto 1300fps+/-, a straight ww alloy works fine. Mix 50/50 w/ lead & they are good to 1000fps, water drop that & you are back to 1300fps.

shotgunred
10-30-2010, 10:34
I still have around 1000 pounds from when I used to dive. I would just prefer to replace it as I use it. Honestly I don't know how much I have. I have a bunch of lead bars I made by pouring lead into a 2 foot piece of 3 inch C channel a long time ago. If I ever really need it I don't want to run out.

fredj338
10-30-2010, 10:39
I still have around 1000 pounds from when I used to dive. I would just prefer to replace it as I use it. Honestly I don't know how much I have. I have a bunch of lead bars I made by pouring lead into a 2 foot piece of 3 inch C channel a long time ago. If I ever really need it I don't want to run out.

1000# sounds like a lot, about 35K 200gr 45s. Not really a lot when you think about it.:crying: