Glock vs 1911..which is better? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock vs 1911..which is better?

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 19:12
Hi,
I own both a few Glocks and 1911's. I love Glocks for simplicity and durability. I love the 1911 for a natural feel when shooting and the way they shoot. Anyway,I am at a sort of crossroads and am considering selling or trading most of my Glocks. I have been shooting a fair amount (for me) lately and I was wondering if anyone had noticed the same thing. I shoot my G19 with WWB (for all guns) and one time I can get 1" groups at 10yds. The next day I get 5-6" groups. When that has happened I switch to one of my 1911's (Kimber Aegis 9mm) and get 1" groups or so...right on the money at the red. With the Glocks (all of them) I shoot low left. I shoot all my 1911's and revolvers right dead center. I always get good groups from all my 1911's all the time....maybe a little variance but not much. My Glocks...good one day,bad the next, always low left.

My question: could it be some people for some reason (trigger control problem,leverage,whatever) don't shoot Glocks well?? Even my RIA 1911's are tack drivers(9mm,45acp and 38 super). I know Glocks are not supposed to be tack drivers, but still..go from 1" to 5" group. I know it's got to be me, I'm just thinking I don't shoot Glocks well and would rather sell them and buy ammo. I am always reading where people say they are shooting Glocks low left...I've done that too only with Glocks.

Anyone have any thoughts? Sorry for the book
Chuck

bac1023
10-29-2010, 19:18
:faint: :popcorn:

For some REAL fireworks, post this in General Glocking. :whistling:

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 19:29
:faint: :popcorn:

For some REAL fireworks, post this in General Glocking. :whistling:

That's why I posted it here...I've asked Glock questions before about my Glocks and I usually get "you need to practice...shoot the gun 500 times first...look at the shooting chart to figure it out, etc. I know all this and my conclusion is... after trying all the well meaning tricks, I just don't shoot them well. I have 2 CZ's ..very accurate on the red...Sigs...same thing...RIA...same thing...my 2 Kimbers, same thing....Glocks to me are variable( I should say I am variable with it), always low left.

Chuck

bac1023
10-29-2010, 19:34
Chuck,

Glocks are good for what they are; simple combat weapons. They're very reliable and easy for beginners to shoot and maintain. 1911s, on the other hand, have character and personality, and require more maintain, lubrication, and experience. However, they can reward a shooter like no Glock can.

I like Glocks, but LOVE 1911s.

TxGun
10-29-2010, 19:40
Almost anyone will shoot a 1911 better than a Glock, IME. I know I do...consistently. The 1911 just has more built-in accuracy potential than the Glock does, IMO. That said, you've already noted that, "I shoot my G19 with WWB (for all guns) and one time I can get 1" groups at 10yds", so you aren't consistently shooting your Glock up to it's potential. The Glock is going to be combat accurate, and not much more than that, in most people's hands. That's what it's designed to do. Granted, some can routinely get 2"-3" out of a Glock at 25 yards, but I say that's not the norm. For most good 1911s, in a good shot's hands, that is the norm, and better is common. It's just easier to shoot well, with the trigger probably the biggest single reason. JMOs.

rsxr22
10-29-2010, 19:41
Like Bac said, Glock makes a great combat weapon. They are not as accurate as 1911's because they are built looser to be more reliable. Some people also dont shoot glocks well because of the hump. It changes the grip angle from the 1911. 1911's need more maintenance, they can be regarded like a BMW. Super engine, probably the best out there but they need care to keep being the best. Where the Glock is more like a Toyota, less maintenance and efficient

carloglock19
10-29-2010, 19:43
I sometimes get that low to the left when I shoot my 19 as well no matter how hard I try.

bac1023
10-29-2010, 19:45
I sometimes get that low to the left when I shoot my 19 as well no matter how hard I try.

I never shot Glocks all that well.

I plan to get a Gen 4 G34 when they become available and see what happens. :dunno:

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 19:55
Well, that answers my question. I've always liked the idea of a gun like the Glock, simple, easy to take apart, beat up, sweat all over it and still come up shooting. But I like being able to hit my target where I intend even better, especially if it's a bad guy. I am going to try one of those MGSL things from TR Graham, but just for one Glock...the others I will sell. Thanks for the input!!
Chuck

.45Super-Man
10-29-2010, 19:59
You'd have to define "better". Those answers are as varied as the individual that has to depend on it. That said, I've had Glocks on and off for twenty or so years and it does not inspire any more confidence for me than any others, be it 1911, revolver, Beretta,etc. My Glocks never last and always end up being traded or sold for things I know I'll keep. It just so happens that no sidearm in history has stayed in service through two world wars and everything else in between, like our 1911. History as an aside, it has the perfect trigger for precision work, perfect muzzle heft, excellent "ergos" and a balance uncommon in more "modern" fighting pistols. The trigger, balance and muzzle heft are what one would only find in much more expensive "target pistols" today. As soon as you pick it up everything just makes sense and you never have the feeling that it was designed first and foremost with cheap mass production as its first goal.

Alaskapopo
10-29-2010, 20:00
Hi,
I own both a few Glocks and 1911's. I love Glocks for simplicity and durability. I love the 1911 for a natural feel when shooting and the way they shoot. Anyway,I am at a sort of crossroads and am considering selling or trading most of my Glocks. I have been shooting a fair amount (for me) lately and I was wondering if anyone had noticed the same thing. I shoot my G19 with WWB (for all guns) and one time I can get 1" groups at 10yds. The next day I get 5-6" groups. When that has happened I switch to one of my 1911's (Kimber Aegis 9mm) and get 1" groups or so...right on the money at the red. With the Glocks (all of them) I shoot low left. I shoot all my 1911's and revolvers right dead center. I always get good groups from all my 1911's all the time....maybe a little variance but not much. My Glocks...good one day,bad the next, always low left.

My question: could it be some people for some reason (trigger control problem,leverage,whatever) don't shoot Glocks well?? Even my RIA 1911's are tack drivers(9mm,45acp and 38 super). I know Glocks are not supposed to be tack drivers, but still..go from 1" to 5" group. I know it's got to be me, I'm just thinking I don't shoot Glocks well and would rather sell them and buy ammo. I am always reading where people say they are shooting Glocks low left...I've done that too only with Glocks.

Chuck

It depends on the 1911 in quesiton and on the shooter. 1911's are in my opinion the best fighting handgun made but I will qualify that. It must be a reliable 1911 usually that means a semi custom or custom gun but not always. And the shooter needs to know how to perform maintance on this weapon and keep it lubed. No handgun is easier to shoot than the 1911 and that is why they dominate in some many areas of competition shooting from Bullseye to USPSA. They are also carried by some of the worlds most respected military units and leo SWAT teams. What makes a 1911 easier to shoot is the trigger system. No other semi auto cab be made to have as nice of a trigger pull with as short of a reset. Some can be as light but none have the same short reset with a straight back pull.

Now for the rank and file who don't give two licks about maintaining their weapons the Glock is a better gun. It can take abuse and neglect better. My favorate pistol is a good 1911 my second favorate is a Glock 17. Of course these are just my opinions.

I will say if I could get a Glock with a 1911 trigger stuck in it I would carry that instead.
Pat

ron59
10-29-2010, 20:00
I think the Glock "low left" thing is probably due to the weight(s)? That is: 1) The weight of the gun, and 2) the "weight" of the trigger (trigger pull).

Being a lighter gun, I think it is more susceptible to being affected as the shooter is working the trigger.

When you couple that with the trigger pull of the stock Glock trigger being 5.5 pounds (or more), where many 1911's are probably closer to 3.5 (or less if been worked on?).

Even with my G17... I had a Ghost Rocket Kit in it... pull was probably under 3 pounds. SUPER TIGHT groups. But because I shoot so many GSSF matches, I had to put my Vanek kit back in, which is probably only a 4 pound trigger (GSSF matches require all Glock parts). Anyway, that slight difference in trigger pull translates to less tight groups.

GJ1981
10-29-2010, 20:16
My question: could it be some people for some reason (trigger control problem,leverage,whatever) don't shoot Glocks well??

I think there could be some things to cause issues for not shooting a Glock well, or any other pistol, but for the most part, I would lean toward a trigger control or similar problem in the shooter.

If you're having problems one day but not the next in your Glock, but then shoot your 1911 well, that would indicate the shooter. Just because your not seeing the problem when shooting your 1911, that doesn't mean there isn't an issue with your trigger control. The lighter pull and shorter travel of a single-action can mask the issue to where you may not realize there's a problem.

I've switched back to a Glock from a 1911 and I will tell you, if you want to shoot a Glock well, you need to shoot the Glock more and not switch between the two.

bac1023
10-29-2010, 20:23
I've switched back to a Glock from a 1911 and I will tell you, if you want to shoot a Glock well, you need to shoot the Glock more and not switch between the two.

...a very true statement.

.45Super-Man
10-29-2010, 20:27
...a very true statement.

+1. The only thing that makes bologna taste terrible, is that first bite of a good steak.:supergrin:

TxGun
10-29-2010, 20:27
Well, that answers my question. I've always liked the idea of a gun like the Glock, simple, easy to take apart, beat up, sweat all over it and still come up shooting. But I like being able to hit my target where I intend even better, especially if it's a bad guy. I am going to try one of those MGSL things from TR Graham, but just for one Glock...the others I will sell. Thanks for the input!!
Chuck

It really depends on what you want/expect. Most agree the 1991 is a more accurate platform. So if you're intent on consistently tight(er) groups, the 1911 is probably the pistol for you. You've noted several of the Glock's attributes, and they are obviously worthwhile. As are the many attributes of the 1911. The Glock is designed to be "combat accurate" (just look a the big, blocky factory sights!). And don't forget, if you are popping rounds at a "bad guy" beyond the Glock's effective combat range, you are probably asking for major problems from the justice system. So again...depends on what you want/expect. I do agree: what you shoot well and are comfortable with should be your #1 criteria. But I've found both have their individual attractions and both do what they were designed to do very well. JMOs.

ArmoryDoc
10-29-2010, 20:29
I carry a 2010 Dan Wesson CCO 1911 but I keep a Glock 19 and 145 rounds of 9mm in my GHB. Commander length 1911's are my favorite platform, bar none. However, you can't beat the serviceability of a tried and true Glock. Does that help make it clear as mud ?

bac1023
10-29-2010, 20:32
+1. The only thing that makes bologna taste terrible, is that first bite of a good steak.:supergrin:

:thumbsup: :agree:

Goldendog Redux
10-29-2010, 20:34
I will say if I could get a Glock with a 1911 trigger stuck in it I would carry that instead.Pat

Man I sure wouldn't. 1911 ergos are as important for me as the trigger. That being said, if they told me I had to carry a Glock starting tomorrow, I would adjust. I guess a good trigger would be nice though.

MF

Nestor
10-29-2010, 20:46
I had the Glock 17 and 1911.
I sold my Glock.
I don't feel any hate toward the plastic pistols - I like them actually.
The problem is that I just like the steel better.
Glocks are light, reliable and accurate enough for any, serious job.
It's all about your preference.
Get what You like the best.
There is no "the best" pistol out there.
It's all about the personal factor.

rick7938
10-29-2010, 20:49
I think there could be some things to cause issues for not shooting a Glock well, or any other pistol, but for the most part, I would lean toward a trigger control or similar problem in the shooter.

If you're having problems one day but not the next in your Glock, but then shoot your 1911 well, that would indicate the shooter. Just because your not seeing the problem when shooting your 1911, that doesn't mean there isn't an issue with your trigger control. The lighter pull and shorter travel of a single-action can mask the issue to where you may not realize there's a problem.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I love to shoot my 1911 platforms, but I carry a G21SF, G30SF, and G19. I just don't have the physical dexterity to be able to transition between the two systems without a learning curve on each. Therefore, I have retired my 1911's which have served me faithfully for over 40 years in favor of the the Glocks which are just more reliable IMHO. Since I have focused entirely on the Glock, my groups have become very consistent and centered, although the groups are not as tight as the 1911s and never will be, at least in my hands.

I practice mostly with the 21SF since it has the heaviest trigger of the 3 Glocks. This allows me to achieve a good consistent straight through trigger pull on all the Glocks.

Just my experience with the two systems.

Good Luck on your future experiences.

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 20:50

I know the problem is me when shooting. Believe me I'm no pistolero. I have been shooting Glocks most of the year in various calibers(9mm,40 and 45acp). I have always chalked it up to practice or lack thereof. But when I shoot a friends Ruger SR9 and have to try to miss, it makes me wonder if I want to put THAT much practice into it. I have a limited ammo budget,even reloading. So if what you say is true with the 1911 masking,etc maybe I'd be better off not wasting ammo on trying to shoot a Glock, when I could put the practice and money into shooting a 1911 better!

Chuck

GJ1981
10-29-2010, 20:58
So if what you say is true with the 1911 masking,etc maybe I'd be better off not wasting ammo on trying to shoot a Glock, when I could put the practice and money into shooting a 1911 better!

Chuck

That's what I'd do if I were you, it's all about what works for the user.

Out of curiosity, are your Glocks using factory sights? I've never been the best with factory Glocks, but once I switched to Warren/Sevigny sights, I've noticed an improvement for some reason.

Brucev
10-29-2010, 21:09
Hi,

Chuck
Both are great guns. In a bad situation with either in your hand you can take care of business. I have a nice SA Mil-Spec. in .45 ACP and a Glock G-22 in .40 S&W. At 15 yds. either pistol will shoot into less than 2 inches for 10 shots. At 25 yds. both pistols will put all their rounds into 4 inches or less fired from a two-handed hold using plain ball ammo. If on a trip to the range one or the other pistol shoots worse than that, it is my fault. The gun and ammo do not change from one trip to another. If I pay attention to what I am doing, I get good results. If I foul up, it shows on the target as a bad hit... and it doesn't matter which pistol is being fired. Personally, I very much enjoy the 1911. I've been shooting them since I bought a COLT Combat Commander during my first year at school in New Orleans. There is one on the bedside table now as I write this. When I go out walking at night, I slip my G-22 in my pants pocket. It is light, powerful and utterly reliable in every possible way. Point of aim is point of impact at 15 yds. It will put 15 rounds into a 2-2.5 inch group with boring regularity. If you just like a 1911 better, fine. Everybody has their preferences. If you want to shoot tiny little groups, the 1911 is a fine platform for building a tight shooting target pistol. With money and time, you can come up with a real work of art. In the same way you can put after-market parts in your Glock that will allow you to tweak it to your hearts content. I am very pleased with the G-22. It shoots groups equal to my SA Mil-Spec. If you just simply are not happy with your Glock, find someone who wants it and sell it to them and buy something you will prefer. JMHO.

brisk21
10-29-2010, 21:11
Id say keep the Glocks. You got them for a reason, and you'll miss them if they are sold. Shooting good one day with a Glock and worse the next is you, not the gun. I do the same thing. Glocks are still more accurate than most humans can shoot them. Id personally never keep a RIA over a Glock if I had other nicer 1911s. I also found that to cut down on ammo use at the range, only load 5 to 10 rounds per Glock magazine. It slows down the usage and gives you more rest between mags so you can recover and focus more on accuracy. Loading up 17 rounds every time is kind of a waste, at least for me. By round 10 or 11 Ive lost a little focus and im not shooting as well.

Samned2003
10-29-2010, 21:17
The 1911 is a great handgun, with a great following of die hard fans. It is a accurate pistol in a great caliber. The glock is also a great handgun that is reliable, lighter, and holds more rounds in the magazine.

Personally if I could only have one handgun it would be the Glock 17. I own a 1911 and enjoy it, but the Glock is still my choice.

Samned2003

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 21:17
All are factory except my G23 which has XS sights. A couple have factory night sights. It took me a bit to get used to the XS sights. But once I did they seemed to work well. I still did the low left thing but much less...nice groups too. I have not shot that Glock for some time...I will tomorrow and see what I can do again with it. Not sure where I read it, but it was on this site that someone did well all of a sudden with those Warren/Sevigny sights. I'm in no hurry to sell my Glocks...another feature I love about them is being able to do more things with your Glock, so maybe I'll experiment on one.

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 21:23
Id say keep the Glocks. You got them for a reason, and you'll miss them if they are sold. Shooting good one day with a Glock and worse the next is you, not the gun. I do the same thing. Glocks are still more accurate than most humans can shoot them. Id personally never keep a RIA over a Glock if I had other nicer 1911s. I also found that to cut down on ammo use at the range, only load 5 to 10 rounds per Glock magazine. It slows down the usage and gives you more rest between mags so you can recover and focus more on accuracy. Loading up 17 rounds every time is kind of a waste, at least for me. By round 10 or 11 Ive lost a little focus and im not shooting as well.

Believe me, I only load 5 rounds at a time because I am disabled with a messed up back and I can only look around for brass for so long, so if I can't find my 5, oh well....looking for 15 or 17 rounds...forget it. I have not fully loaded a Glock for as long as I have had them, except for my GAPS.

cole
10-29-2010, 21:27
When the zombies attack I'll reach for my Glock 17. Cheap, rugged, low-maintenance, reliable, high capacity. I prefer the Glock for 9mm. Treat it like your lawnmower and it still runs.

I prefer the elegance of my 1911. I prefer the 1911 for .45acp. The 1911 takes a bit more love to be all the Glock can be. And, capacity is limited.

Nestor
10-29-2010, 21:28
Believe me, I only load 5 rounds at a time because I am disabled with a messed up back and I can only look around for brass for so long, so if I can't find my 5, oh well....looking for 15 or 17 rounds...forget it. I have not fully loaded a Glock for as long as I have had them, except for my GAPS.

If so, than buy a nice .38 and be done with it.

carguy2244
10-29-2010, 21:29
Both are great guns. In a bad situation with either in your hand you can take care of business. I have a nice SA Mil-Spec. in .45 ACP and a Glock G-22 in .40 S&W. At 15 yds. either pistol will shoot into less than 2 inches for 10 shots. At 25 yds. both pistols will put all their rounds into 4 inches or less fired from a two-handed hold using plain ball ammo. If on a trip to the range one or the other pistol shoots worse than that, it is my fault. The gun and ammo do not change from one trip to another. If I pay attention to what I am doing, I get good results. If I foul up, it shows on the target as a bad hit... and it doesn't matter which pistol is being fired. Personally, I very much enjoy the 1911. I've been shooting them since I bought a COLT Combat Commander during my first year at school in New Orleans. There is one on the bedside table now as I write this. When I go out walking at night, I slip my G-22 in my pants pocket. It is light, powerful and utterly reliable in every possible way. Point of aim is point of impact at 15 yds. It will put 15 rounds into a 2-2.5 inch group with boring regularity. If you just like a 1911 better, fine. Everybody has their preferences. If you want to shoot tiny little groups, the 1911 is a fine platform for building a tight shooting target pistol. With money and time, you can come up with a real work of art. In the same way you can put after-market parts in your Glock that will allow you to tweak it to your hearts content. I am very pleased with the G-22. It shoots groups equal to my SA Mil-Spec. If you just simply are not happy with your Glock, find someone who wants it and sell it to them and buy something you will prefer. JMHO.

Those must be some huge pockets.

Okay, besides that. If you sell your Glocks, you'll just buy new ones in a couple of years. Glocks are great weapons. Better than 1911's? In some ways, yes. If tight groups is your goal, you'll need to practice with either platform. And if you want a 1911 that's inherently more accurate than a Glock, be prepared to pay a commensurate amount more than a Glock costs.

GAFinch
10-29-2010, 21:33
Have you tried a S&W M&P? It retains the simplicity/capacity/durability of a Glock, but with a 1911 grip angle.

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 21:38
If so, than buy a nice .38 and be done with it.

Well I only load 5 or so when at the range...nice to have 10 or 15 though when on the streets. I doubt that if I actually have to use it on the street I won't be looking for brass :(

Cobra64
10-29-2010, 21:39
I know the problem is me when shooting. Believe me I'm no pistolero. I have been shooting Glocks most of the year in various calibers(9mm,40 and 45acp). I have always chalked it up to practice or lack thereof. But when I shoot a friends Ruger SR9 and have to try to miss, it makes me wonder if I want to put THAT much practice into it. I have a limited ammo budget,even reloading. So if what you say is true with the 1911 masking,etc maybe I'd be better off not wasting ammo on trying to shoot a Glock, when I could put the practice and money into shooting a 1911 better!

Chuck

Chuck, apparently we're neighbors (I live on Lake James). Where do you shoot?

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 21:39
Have you tried a S&W M&P? It retains the simplicity/capacity/durability of a Glock, but with a 1911 grip angle.

I want to try to get a hold of one to shoot before I buy one. To fondle one at the gunstore, it feels great and want to give it a go.

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 21:45
Those must be some huge pockets.

Okay, besides that. If you sell your Glocks, you'll just buy new ones in a couple of years. Glocks are great weapons. Better than 1911's? In some ways, yes. If tight groups is your goal, you'll need to practice with either platform. And if you want a 1911 that's inherently more accurate than a Glock, be prepared to pay a commensurate amount more than a Glock costs.

Well I have 3 Rock Island Armory 1911's and all are tack drivers, even with those lousy military sights! I was very surprised at my RIA 38 super...you have to try to miss. All 3 sold for around $400...a little less, a little more. I tried out a friends officer model and it shot great, so I bought one. But I'm an old fart with old eyes and the military sights have to go to use the pistol on the street. I can take my time on the range, and look for the sights, or point shoot.

pzlehr
10-29-2010, 21:48
Chuck, apparently we're neighbors (I live on Lake James). Where do you shoot?

off my yard...we got 3 acres that butt against my wifes uncle's 120 acres, so I made a range of sorts. Nothing fancy, but it saves driving and paying per hour.

Chuck

cooden
10-29-2010, 21:53
Another one of these posts? I had a G23, G26 & a G17 that I all sold. I sold the G23 because after getting into IPSC, 9mm is a lot cheaper than .40. I sold my G26 because I was carrying my PM9 all the time in the summer and my G26 was just sitting not getting any use. I sold my G17 because I shoot better with my G19, the grip on the G17 was a little too big for me.

I love my G19, I don't think I will ever sell it. I also use it to shoot IPSC (Production). I shoot IPSC to stay sharp and build my muscle memory for my everyday carry weapons--plus it's fun as hell to shoot every week!! I am going to get some 10rd mags so that I can start shooting my Kobra Carry, but just like the people said in the posts before, that is going to screw up my trigger control because both guns have different triggers.

I love the Glock for the durability, simplicity and ruggedness of the weapon. I am no sharpshooter by any means, but in my opinion (which could mean nothing to anyone on here), if I can shoot on the move and hit "A" & "B" zones from 10-15 yards, then I am happy with my shot placement.

I love the 1911 for its history, its beauty and it is a great shooter, no question about that. I also love carrying the 1911, I really have to start carrying my Kobra Carry around a lot more--I spent all that damn money, I have to use her, lol.

I am glad that I have both platforms, if you can have both as well, then consider yourself that you own 2 of the best platforms out on the market.

knedrgr
10-29-2010, 22:00

And it has a better trigger, IMO. Now I'm trying to get rid off my last Glock. LOL

Cobra64
10-29-2010, 22:21
off my yard...we got 3 acres that butt against my wifes uncle's 120 acres, so I made a range of sorts. Nothing fancy, but it saves driving and paying per hour.

Chuck

Are you familiar with this club (http://carolinawestshooting.org/)?

There were a lot of Glock and 1911 students in this recent class (http://carolinawestshooting.org/index_PISTOLCARBINETRAININGCarolinaWestShootingClub.htm).

brisk21
10-29-2010, 22:44

Yeah, where I shoot is in grass, so I don't try too hard. I just pick up what I can and don't worry about the rest. If you downloaded those GAPs, youd be at snubby capacities!!!!!:rofl:

Alaskapopo
10-29-2010, 23:22
And it has a better trigger, IMO. Now I'm trying to get rid off my last Glock. LOL

I don't care for the M&P's trigger. The only one I felt that was good was a long slide model in 9mm that had some trigger work done. The stock .40 I tried was tolerable but sucked compared to a Glock and not even close to a good 1911.
Pat

bac1023
10-29-2010, 23:50

I like several other polymers better than Glock from an ergonomic standpoint.

knedrgr
10-30-2010, 00:02
I don't care for the M&P's trigger. The only one I felt that was good was a long slide model in 9mm that had some trigger work done. The stock .40 I tried was tolerable but sucked compared to a Glock and not even close to a good 1911.
Pat

The M&P's trigger is better. Stock for stock, they are the same. But one I install the Apex sear, it's way better than the Glock.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 00:13
The M&P's trigger is better. Stock for stock, they are the same. But one I install the Apex sear, it's way better than the Glock.

No its not better than a Glock in my experience.
Pat

Cerebrus
10-30-2010, 05:25
I really can't say.. I don't own a Glock nor will I... I just do not like the Ergos of that platform..not that I am bashing on it.. but in comparison to my H&K and my XD.. it just feels as unwieldy as a brick in my hands.. the few times that I have shot one.. well lets just say that I can shoot one, it was not an experience that I would care to repeat again.. ever..so for me personally the 1911 is the way to go..

bac1023
10-30-2010, 05:31
The 1911 is a great handgun, with a great following of die hard fans. It is a accurate pistol in a great caliber. The glock is also a great handgun that is reliable, lighter, and holds more rounds in the magazine.
Personally if I could only have one handgun it would be the Glock 17. I own a 1911 and enjoy it, but the Glock is still my choice.

Samned2003

True, but there are other polymers that do the same thing and do it better, in my opinion.

I really don't see the Glock having any advantage over its competition these days.

samuse
10-30-2010, 05:46
True, but there are other polymers that do the same thing and do it better, in my opinion.

I really don't see the Glock having any advantage over its competition these days.

-pretty much the entire world's police and/or military uses the Glock 17/19

-Customer service from the manufacturer

-availability and price of mags

-aftermarket parts

-holsters

-has that cool NSN #:supergrin:

-price of the gun and all of the above

bac1023
10-30-2010, 06:21
-pretty much the entire world's police and/or military uses the Glock 17/19

-Customer service from the manufacturer

-availability and price of mags

-aftermarket parts

-holsters

-has that cool NSN #:supergrin:

-price of the gun and all of the above

I don't see Glock's CS being that superior to most other mainstream manufacturers. Price, sure, but they're cheaply built and the quality difference is evident compared to some others.

Price is another reason why many departments adopt Glock, but what's the advantage to me? :dunno:

I see Glock's advantage being its variety and sheer number of models available. Unfortunately, I really don't care for Glocks unless they're 9mm. The G34 is the only other Glock purchase I plan to make.

ajgranda
10-30-2010, 07:00
In automobile terms:

"Nice" 1911 = Ferrari
Glock = Honda

lawdog734
10-30-2010, 07:41
Most the police around here use sigs, I own a glock but I can't shoot it worth a damn. I carry a sig 229 on duty and a 1911 off duty.

dakrat
10-30-2010, 08:21
I shoot my Glocks just as well as my 1911s. of course, thats after thousands of rounds of practice. when you get used to Glock trigger, muscle memory takes over with the trigger pull and you can concentrate more on the front sight.

samuse
10-30-2010, 12:45
what's the advantage to me? :dunno:

I really don't care for Glocks unless they're 9mm. The G34 is the only other Glock purchase I plan to make.

I guess there's only an advantage if you like Glocks.

The only Glocks I like are the 19 & 26. If I'm gonna have a full size range queen, it's gonna be a 1911.

seanmac45
10-30-2010, 13:28
Anyone notice that the threads are always Glock vs 1911?

Not Sigs

Not HK's

Not FN's

Not Rugers

Not S & W

Just the 1911.

Why?

It is the standard to beat in the arena of handgun excellence. That's why.

DD26
10-30-2010, 13:33
I know it's got to be me, I'm just thinking I don't shoot Glocks well and would rather sell them and buy ammo.
Chuck

Makes sense to me. If you can't shoot a certain gun well, there no point in keeping it around if you have better things to spend the money on, IMO.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 14:25
Anyone notice that the threads are always Glock vs 1911?

Not Sigs

Not HK's

Not FN's

Not Rugers

Not S & W

Just the 1911.

Why?

It is the standard to beat in the arena of handgun excellence. That's why.
Frankly because Glocks and 1911s are the best and have much more lasting power than any of the pistols you mentioned. The 1911 has been around nearly 100 years and during that time Sigs, HK's Rugers, FN's have all come and gone. The Glock will be like the 1911 in that regard. They were quantum steps forward in handgun design.
Pat

TxGun
10-30-2010, 14:45
Frankly because Glocks and 1911s are the best and have much more lasting power than any of the pistols you mentioned. The 1911 has been around nearly 100 years and during that time Sigs, HK's Rugers, FN's have all come and gone. The Glock will be like the 1911 in that regard. They were quantum steps forward in handgun design.
Pat

Yep, I agree in terms of reliability/durability and staying power in the marketplace. In every independent test I've ever seen, Glock is invariably right at the top in those categories. And, of course, the 1911 is legendary for it's design excellence... as viable today as it was 100 years ago. The others make some nice guns, but they change designs relatively frequently, and drop pistols from their catalogs relatively often. Every new design is hyped as "better than Glock" or "better than the 1911"...but so far, none has had the market impact to justify the hype. (The new S&W M&P series might, might, have that impact, but that still remains to be seen). Some do hold niche markets, but with relatively low sales numbers compared to the massive 1911 and Glock pistol market shares. Some people hate 1911s; some people hate Glocks...but there is no denying either's staying power in the marketplace at this point.

seanmac45
10-30-2010, 14:54
Pat

I don't agree that Glocks were a quantum step forward. HK had done the polymer frame before. There are many pistols utilizing the same barrel lockup system and even the drop firing pin safety had been done previously.

Ole Gaston put them all together, but he really didn't innovate anything in my eyes.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 15:06
I don't agree that Glocks were a quantum step forward. HK had done the polymer frame before. There are many pistols utilizing the same barrel lockup system and even the drop firing pin safety had been done previously.

Ole Gaston put them all together, but he really didn't innovate anything in my eyes.

That was the key he took some things that had been tried but not exploited and he made a world class handgun. Rather you like Glocks or not they dominate. Also Gaston built the gun as an outsider. He asked people what they wanted in a pistol and then designed it. He did not design what he thought the world needed and he took unconventional appoache to it.

TxGun
10-30-2010, 15:08

That's the point, IMO. It's the package that has been so successful. The S&W M&P revolvers weren't truly revolutionary, in terms of individual design elements, all those decades ago, but, for the 1st time, the best design elements were incorporated into the same, highly reliable package. The BHP, which I consider a major step forward in pistol design, did not incorporate any truly revolutionary new design elements, but it's high cap mag and well-thought-out ergonomics, simple steps as they were, set a new standard for auto pistols.

Solid
10-30-2010, 15:09
1911s are for range visits
Glocks are for defense

bac1023
10-30-2010, 15:13
Glocks are for defense

:rofl::rofl:

kids these days...

TxGun
10-30-2010, 15:16
Glocks are for defense

Sorry, gotta disagree with you there. The 1911 has proven itself a superlative defense pistol for...oh, about 100 years.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 15:33
Glocks are for defense

Tell that to LAPD SWAT and FBI's HRT team.:rofl::rofl:

bunk22
10-30-2010, 16:04
I've had two Glocks, a 21 and 36. The 21 I had for 18 years and the 36 for a month, it was defective model. Regardless, I prefer my 1911 Kimber for self-defense and use it daily as my CCW. It just fits in the hand perfect, conceals well, etc.

drc767
10-30-2010, 16:13
After 25+ years of shooting/carrying more different mfg's of handguns that I care to rememeber, my collection has pretty much settled on 1911's and Glocks. I enjoy shooting the 1911's much more than I do the Glocks, as it is a much more refined platform....But it is pretty tough to beat the toughness and durability of the Glock platform. I like both pistols for different reasons......but the 1911 platform is my favorite by far.

drc767
10-30-2010, 16:14
Glocks are for defense

Yeah.....that is funny! :)

.45Super-Man
10-30-2010, 16:48
That was the key he took some things that had been tried but not exploited and he made a world class handgun. Rather you like Glocks or not they dominate. Also Gaston built the gun as an outsider. He asked people what they wanted in a pistol and then designed it. He did not design what he thought the world needed and he took unconventional appoache to it.

Actually, Gaston didnt "design" anything except curtain rods. He's a curtain rod designer by trade. Originally, Gaston hired austrian small arms designer Wilhelm Bubits to design the original P80.

Magnus2131
10-30-2010, 16:56
Only have 200 rounds through my Springfield loaded. Shot 100 rounds the other day, cleaned it and shot another 100 today. Had a jam after about 50 rounds. :( I've still yet to have a malfunction with either of my two Glocks.
I believe people shooting low and left with the Glock is because they forget about the two stage trigger. You need to begin pulling the trigger and stop before the second stage is pressed, realign your sites then pull without jerking. I'm getting better with the 1911 but still shoot my Glocks better. I'm one of the rare people that likes the grip on the Glock. It kind of bothers me that I have to adjust to both guns.

HAIL CAESAR
10-30-2010, 17:01
OP, you are snatching the trigger when you are shooting low left. ( If you are a righty)

You should not see much if any accuracy distance between a 1911 and a Glock at 10 yards.

I feel comfortable carrying a 1911, Glock, M&P, or a revolver. Doesn't matter to me as it is just a matter of training.

My preferance these days is a 1911 or a M&P. Now the M&P has had a APEX kit and a action polishing by me, so now it is a very slick setup.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 17:11
Actually, Gaston didnt "design" anything except curtain rods. He's a curtain rod designer by trade. Originally, Gaston hired austrian small arms designer Wilhelm Bubits to design the original P80.
Actually he made entrenching tools. Yes he did design the Glock. Rather it be through him or his employees its the same.
Pat

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 17:13
OP, you are snatching the trigger when you are shooting low left. ( If you are a righty)

You should not see much if any accuracy distance between a 1911 and a Glock at 10 yards.

I feel comfortable carrying a 1911, Glock, M&P, or a revolver. Doesn't matter to me as it is just a matter of training.

My preferance these days is a 1911 or a M&P. Now the M&P has had a APEX kit and a action polishing by me, so now it is a very slick setup.

Hey Caesar I have a friend with a M&P .40 do you do trigger jobs for hire?
Pat

Quack
10-30-2010, 17:14
i took a friend out shooting today because he didn't know if he wanted to buy my M&P or XDm and it was going to be his first gun. Before shooting either he was leaning towards the M&P based on looks, but after shooting them both side by side he actually chose the "uglier" XDm, which he shot really well.
I then let him shoot my EMP, and he shot it better than either of the 2 polymers.

so what am i getting at? some guns take practice to shoot well, while some guns just shoot well.

Quack
10-30-2010, 17:16
Pat

The M&P isn't hard to work on. add an APEX sear and some polishing and it's good to go.

here's a DIY how-to
http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Quack
10-30-2010, 17:17
Actually he made entrenching tools. Yes he did design the Glock. Rather it be through him or his employees its the same.
Pat

IMO, Gaston has a LONG way to reach JMB status.

HAIL CAESAR
10-30-2010, 17:23
Pat

I do them for friends. If you were near I'd do it for free.:wavey:

Actually it is a bit more involved than just dropping in a APEX kit. The kit itself will make a HUGE improvement. Final polishing and a few other things make it a truly marvelous trigger for a plastic fantastic. Light years ahead of a Glock.

I have always heard Gaston was a curtain rod maker. Got a idea for a gun. Hired a gun designer to make his idea (and make it work). The rest was history.

The Glock was revolutionary 20 odd years ago. But their failure to even try to improve it has left them stagnant.

jsykes
10-30-2010, 17:59
I had several Glocks, all with various trigger jobs at different times and never really shot them that great. I shot my 1911s and 2011s great all the time. When shooting those for awhile and going back to the Glock, I always had to "learn" it all over again, from the grip angle to the trigger. It was me, not blaming the gun, but still had issues with it.

I switched to a XD and immediately just felt good with it and shot it great. Same grip as a 1911, a very good trigger out of the box and it just worked. So the Glocks got sold and I use my 2011s/1911s for fun/competition and the XDm sits as the reliable, polymer HD gun.

Look at an XD variant if you want something in the polymer category that will handle and shoot as close to a 1911 as you can get and not have to worry about switching back and forth.

.45Super-Man
10-30-2010, 18:20
Pat

I'm of the mind that one either designs something, or doesnt. Exactly how one goes about designing something "through" someone else is beyond me?? Unless of course you used it as an analogy(i.e. Tommys dad lives vicariously "through" Tommy, because his dad couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with a snow shovel and Tommy hits a homerun everytime he's at bat.)?? Ok, I get it.

seanmac45
10-30-2010, 18:41

He will NEVER be the equal of JMB. Browning was an innovator and a genius.

Gaston was a businessman who got lucky.

seanmac45
10-30-2010, 18:42
I'm of the mind that one either designs something, or doesnt. Exactly how one goes about designing something "through" someone else is beyond me?? Unless of course you used it as an analogy(i.e. Tommys dad lives vicariously "through" Tommy, because his dad couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with a snow shovel and Tommy hits a homerun everytime he's at bat.)?? Ok, I get it.

Exactly right. To allege he designed anything THROUGH another's ideas and efforts is ridiculous.

glock2740
10-30-2010, 18:46
Chuck,

Glocks are good for what they are; simple combat weapons. They're very reliable and easy for beginners to shoot and maintain. 1911s, on the other hand, have character and personality, and require more maintain, lubrication, and experience. However, they can reward a shooter like no Glock can.

I like Glocks, but LOVE 1911s.
Very well put. I love them both. Glocks and 1911's are my two favorite pistol platforms.

Kegs
10-30-2010, 18:57
Glock vs. 1911...which is better?
Chuck

Glock is a brand name.

1911 is a design type of gun.

If it's solely the design you are talking about, Glock is superior in terms of magazine capacity, 1911 is superior in terms of everything else.

If I could have found a new high quality commander-sized 1911 pistol chambered in 10mm for about the same price as what I paid for the G29, I would have gone with the 1911.

Sadly, this was not the case during my purchase, therefore I have a Glock and all the mods to make it perform as good as it can.

Maybe some day I will come into a great deal of money and build myself a magnaported commander sized 2011 in .460 Rowland...until then, I'll have a Glock.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 19:12

No argument on that from me. Browning has designed so many great guns that are still with us today like the 50 caliber machine gun and too many others to list. Glock is not even close to that. Glock has one basic firearm design his pistol. (several variations of the same gun)
Pat

Quack
10-30-2010, 19:19
Glock has one basic firearm design his pistol. (several variations of the same gun)
Pat

Kinda like Brady Bunch movie where every building Mike Brady designed looked the same, like the Brady house :rofl:

bac1023
10-30-2010, 19:27
Kinda like Brady Bunch movie where every building Mike Brady designed looked the same, like the Brady house :rofl:

:animlol:

knedrgr
10-30-2010, 19:42
No its not better than a Glock in my experience.
Pat

Pat

So you haven't really shot a tuned M&P trigger. Try one first before reporting on something you haven't experienced.

Tuned M&P trigger > Tuned Glock trigger.

bac1023
10-30-2010, 19:49

I have also heard they tune better than Glock triggers.

carguy2244
10-30-2010, 19:51
Tell that to LAPD SWAT and FBI's HRT team.:rofl::rofl:

SWAT and HRT use therre 1911s for OFFENSE, not DEFENSE.
An offensive weapon goes into a conflict at the timing of the operator. So the 1911s only go in when they're in 100% condition.
A defensive weapon goes into a conflict at the timing of the enemy. The Glock has to be ready under all conditions.
There is a difference.
We have Glocks w/ Ghosts, Vaneks, Glock and Scherer 3.5 pound triggers. None are as crisp as a nice 1911. That doesn't prevent them from being shot as well - by some people. My son smokes competition with his 17L against Wilsons and STIs.
For me, I'll continue to carry my G19, but I have a Baer SRP coming for the range...or for some reason.

bac1023
10-30-2010, 19:58
Hey, I use a 1911 for defense and that's all that matters to me. :)

seanmac45
10-30-2010, 20:10
An offensive weapon goes into a conflict at the timing of the operator. So the 1911s only go in when they're in 100% condition.
A defensive weapon goes into a conflict at the timing of the enemy. The Glock has to be ready under all conditions.
There is a difference.

That is one of the most illogical, nonsensical arguments I have ever seen posted in this forum.

SWAT and HRT use their 1911's as backups to their primary long guns. They are deployed when the primary takes a dump. I don't know what your experience is with tactical teams but the idea that some pistols are offensive in nature while some are defensive is ABSURD.

Pistols are pistols; they are chosen for reliability, accuracy and ease of use. There is no distinction between offensive and defensive. There never has been. Sidearms are tools and they all must work to the same standard no matter what the mission.

TxGun
10-30-2010, 20:11

:upeyes: Yes, he did manufacture curtain rods. He also manufactured machine gun belts, entrenching tools, and field knives for the Austrian army. And he was closely involved in the design of the prototype Glock pistol whether you choose to recognize that fact or not. No!...he's not even close to JMB as a designer/inventor. Not that anyone in their right mind would ever claim that. JMB's status is completely safe from all challengers...including Sam Colt, Bill Ruger, Arthur Savage, John Garand, Carbine Williams, et al, as the one and true elemental genius of firearms design. No, the 1911's status as the pistol world's #1 icon is not in jeopardy due to Glock's emergence. Do you have to be constantly reassured of these facts, which almost everyone accepts, to be happy? Is being a jackass just your nature, or do you save it specifically for whenever the discussion turns to Glocks? Are you completely blind to the attributes Glock pistols do bring to the table? It's silly...juvenile really.

Alaskapopo
10-30-2010, 20:24
]SWAT and HRT use therre 1911s for OFFENSE, not DEFENSE. [/COLOR]An offensive weapon goes into a conflict at the timing of the operator. So the 1911s only go in when they're in 100% condition.
There is a difference.
We have Glocks w/ Ghosts, Vaneks, Glock and Scherer 3.5 pound triggers. None are as crisp as a nice 1911. That doesn't prevent them from being shot as well - by some people. My son smokes competition with his 17L against Wilsons and STIs.
For me, I'll continue to carry my G19, but I have a Baer SRP coming for the range...or for some reason.

Actually no they use their Mp5's, M4 carbines, 870 shotguns and other long arms for offense. The pistol is there for defense if something goes bad with the long gun. The pistol is not an offensive tool. I understand the needs placed on a defenisve pistol. Its not hard hard to buy a 1911 that is 100% and to keep it there if you have half a brain. I carry a 1911 on patrol every day. The 1911 has severed in more conflicts than the Glock has and it has earned a reputation for reliablity. Remember WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam etc. To say that the 1911 is not combat ready is false and foolish.

As for shooting as well as a 1911 if you put two shooters of equal skill up against each other the 1911 will win period. It has been proven time and time again. Look at what is in most USPSA and IDPA holsters in divisions that allow them. Its to the point where IDPA and USPSA have special divisions where 1911's can't play because they represent an unfair advantage over other makes like Glocks.

I like Glocks and I feel they have some good qualities that I have listed previously. But the 1911 is what I prefer and many top level professionals agree.
Pat

Quack
10-30-2010, 20:31

for basic drop in parts, yes, but my G24 trigger that i did is still better.

Speaking of which i need to dust the G24 off. don't think i've shot that in over a year :whistling:

bac1023
10-30-2010, 20:36
Speaking of which i need to dust the G24 off. don't think i've shot that in over a year :whistling:

I haven't shot my G19 in three years. :embarassed:

R*E
10-30-2010, 22:03
Only have 200 rounds through my Springfield loaded. Shot 100 rounds the other day, cleaned it and shot another 100 today. Had a jam after about 50 rounds. :( I've still yet to have a malfunction with either of my two Glocks.
I believe people shooting low and left with the Glock is because they forget about the two stage trigger. You need to begin pulling the trigger and stop before the second stage is pressed, realign your sites then pull without jerking. I'm getting better with the 1911 but still shoot my Glocks better. I'm one of the rare people that likes the grip on the Glock. It kind of bothers me that I have to adjust to both guns.
Does that slow down your shooting?

Glolt20-91
10-31-2010, 00:10
Most of my shooting now is either 1911s (.45auto & .38 Super) or wheelguns in either .357mag or .44mag. Last week I put about 120 rounds of WWB through a G17 and was reminded again of Glock's crappy trigger; even my Steyr M40-A1 has a better trigger and ergonomics . . . and more accurate at 60 yards than either of my G20s.

People who have never shot or have limited trigger time tend to shoot 1911s much better in my experience, but the learning curve to carry 1911s is steeper than Glocks.

Marine Expeditionary Units still carry the 1911 as do other select military units.

I enjoy reloading and came across this statement from European powder maker Vihtavuori;

The .45 ACP, however, requires a lot of practice for the average person to develop any degree of skill with this cartridge, particularly when fired in the Model 1911 semi-automatic. This may be one of the reasons it has been replaced by the 9 mm Luger in service applications. However, despite what armchair theorists have to say, the 1911 Colt pistol and the .45 ACP cartridge will always make the top personal defence combination.

Before I carry a sidearm, I try to induce failures by mixing different brand magazines, handload/factory ammo, jacketed JHP/SWC, different bullet weights/COALs etc. I also rapid fire 150 rounds as fast as the trigger can be pulled, this Colt XSE fired 400 rounds out of the box no hiccups;

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/1911rangeworkout007.jpg

Full power AA #7/IMR 800X/Longshot G20 loads and my trigger finger is good for about 70 rounds.

The 1911 really shines when it comes to team tactics and engaging multiple tangos, YMMV.

Bob :cowboy:

Glolt20-91
10-31-2010, 00:18
Does that slow down your shooting?

Only if one needs to scratch an itch or pick their nose.

Cobra64
10-31-2010, 02:29
I haven't shot my G19 in three years. :embarassed:

Me neither. :supergrin:

mesteve2
10-31-2010, 03:41
Glocks are to show the bad guys!

They know they are going to be DEAD!

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

bac1023
10-31-2010, 04:48

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

:upeyes:

lawdog734
10-31-2010, 08:12
There is a difference.

The FBI guys I know who carry the pro 1911 carry them all the time.:dunno:

MD357
10-31-2010, 09:16
Glocks are for defense

I'm impressed. It took 61 posts and 3 pages before somoene said something stupid.

MD357
10-31-2010, 09:24
There is a difference.

and it gets even worse... :upeyes:

Glolt20-91
10-31-2010, 11:27

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

It appears you posted this during a non-lucid moment. :supergrin:

drc767
10-31-2010, 11:33

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

.....and Kool-Aid is for Kool-Aid drinkers...

TxGun
10-31-2010, 11:52

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

Think before you post. This is just silly.

.45Super-Man
10-31-2010, 12:08
I'm impressed. It took 61 posts and 3 pages before somoene said something stupid.

The kool-aid thus spilleth over into the sub-forums.:rofl:

john9
10-31-2010, 12:38
If you trade a 1911 for a Glock you will not go to heaven.

Quack
10-31-2010, 12:42
so does that mean i get an few free passes into heaven?

i traded 2 different Glocks for 2 1911's, straight trades at that :supergrin:
Both were Springfields, one was a Compact and the other was a Micro Operator.
I traded police trade-in Glock's for them :shocked:
Knedrgr met the guy at the last gun show that we went to.

here's one of the ones i got in trade

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/p9070001.jpg

seanmac45
10-31-2010, 13:55
Quack, for the first time I might have you beat!

I traded a gun store straight up a Glock Model 23 for a Colt Combat Commander of the series 70 vintage.

Best deal I EVER made.

Alaskapopo
10-31-2010, 13:58

I traded a gun store straight up a Glock Model 23 for a Colt Combat Commander of the series 70 vintage.

Best deal I EVER made.

Dude were you wearing a mask because that was a steal. Good job.
Pat

Quack
10-31-2010, 14:05
I only paid $329 for the glock's

cole
10-31-2010, 19:11

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

Very true... but, only if you hold your Glock with the ejection port at the 12 o'clock "gansta" style. 6 o'clock for you lefties. :supergrin:

bac1023
10-31-2010, 19:24

The others are for SHOW!

Bragging Rights!

.....and Kool-Aid is for Kool-Aid drinkers...

Think before you post. This is just silly.

That's typical of him.

I don't think he's made one coherent thought in his 2500+ posts. :upeyes:

Cobra64
10-31-2010, 20:17

The others are for SHOW!

Tell that to this guy and millions of other American GIs who fought in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam carrying 1911s.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/2002086301.jpg

Cobra64
10-31-2010, 20:20
That's typical of him.

I don't think he's made one coherent thought in his 2500+ posts. :upeyes:

Who? Poster mesteve2?

Even his forum name is ungrammatical.

john9
10-31-2010, 20:24

Bless you my son, when would you be ready.

Hokie1911
10-31-2010, 20:37
Tell that to this guy and millions of other American GIs who fought in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam carrying 1911s.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/2002086301.jpg

Come on, Mark. Now you're just being silly. Everyone knows the Glock has been through 2 World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and every other major conflict in the past 100 years. Check your facts, bro. :whistling:

syr74
10-31-2010, 20:39

Best deal I EVER made.

You guys don't get it at all. Those guys bought the 1911's for offensive purposes only to find that they really needed a defensive pistol.. :whistling:

MD357
10-31-2010, 20:53
Those guys bought the 1911's for offensive purposes only to find that they really needed a defensive pistol..

I actually repeated his comment at the range today. :whistling: Hilarity ensued.

joerockhead
10-31-2010, 21:03
I've seen this comparison on many forums and it seems like the replys
are almost always the same.
IMO ... there really is no fair comparison....well that makes sense anyhow...to me...:dunno:

You can compare a 1911 Kimber vs Colt vs Springfield,,,,,,etc
You can compare a Glock vs S&W M&P vs Kahr ....
You can compare a Winchester levergun vs a Marlin levergun..

Well .... I guess you can compare anything to anything...
BUT... somethings (1911's) really don't compare to otherthings ( :crying:)

Just my thoughts....which really don't compare to anything important....

Hokie1911
10-31-2010, 21:16
BUT... somethings (1911's) really don't compare to otherthings ( :crying:)

...except Harleys. :thumbsup:

knedrgr
10-31-2010, 21:18

hahaha. He actually had some GI Micro Compact outside that he was trying to sell/trade. Was tempted to walk over and talk some more, but I don't want a GI Micro Compact.

joerockhead
10-31-2010, 21:20
...except Harleys. :thumbsup:

:laughabove:

YEAH THAT !!!!!!!!!:rofl:

TonyT
11-06-2010, 08:17
All of my glock and 1911 style guns shoot to ppint of aim. One has to be mindful of the difference in grip angle between them.

Lior
11-06-2010, 11:45
Both are really good gun designs, period. Handguns are basically tools that are carefully designed to get a specific job done. For personal defense, either can save your hide with equal fidelity. The skill and mindset of the shooter are far more important than choosing out of one of these outstanding tools.

I own a G19 for duty and concealed carry, and a Bul M5 IPSC (two stack 9mm polymer framed 1911) for IPSC shooting. I consider the latter more comfortable to carry, more concealable, more durable and reliable, and this is the only handgun that I carry for self defense. I shoot far more accurately with the latter however. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

bradbury
11-08-2010, 18:56
i like both...1911 for home and the range and the glock for carry...when i first picked up the glock i had the low left problem and the only thing that solved it for me, was throwing alot of lead down range...

the 1911 is almost like riding a bike, once you've learned how it functions, you never forget...you may get a little rusty sometimes, but pick up a 1911 and in 10 minutes you're shooting the middle out again...

the glock takes a little more sweat and tears.

rsxr22
11-08-2010, 19:05
Both great guns and have there own place. I would choose the 1911 more often than not, but if i had to have one gun to use in ever application it would probably be plastic

nickE10mm
11-10-2010, 02:51
After 25+ years of shooting/carrying more different mfg's of handguns that I care to rememeber, my collection has pretty much settled on 1911's and Glocks. I enjoy shooting the 1911's much more than I do the Glocks, as it is a much more refined platform....But it is pretty tough to beat the toughness and durability of the Glock platform. I like both pistols for different reasons......but the 1911 platform is my favorite by far.

This almost exactly mirrors my feelings on the subject. I love Glocks for what they are... simple, light, accurate and high capacity..... HOWEVER, If I were going into the field or a gunfight.... give me a 1911 anyday.

Bullman
11-10-2010, 17:14
Of course 1911s are better than Glocks, even though currently I own glocks and not a single 1911, this is why they are better

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/dabullmanp9/1911motivationposter.jpg

deeHKman
11-10-2010, 18:42
It is really a question that has no answer. Glocks are built by Glock. All Glocks have lengerdary reliability except the gen4's. 1911's are built by so many people , Manufacrure's but bac sure would have a clue as to how many 1911 Manufactures are out there.
The 1911 is a precision custom built piece of artwork some have all hand fitted parts. I in no way can carry multiple guns to the range and my accuracy not suffer. But dry fire Glocks alot so my accuracy has gone from ok to about as good as i can expect. My 1911's are SA a few TRP's and others shot outstanding and my early Kimber's i have several of them great 1911's early models. Kimber's Q/C lately is suspect.

Glocks have form, fit and function now most 1911's have Precision, Form, Fit and most Function. I've seen quite a few 1911's that would not cycle thru one mag without jamming.The Les Bauer i thought the guy was going to have coronary it jammed constantly with his custom bench and james Bond brief case. I've seen Ransom rest of what Glocks are Capable of and i don't think i could shoot a 1/2 ragged hole at 50 yds with any gun.

Post this in General Glocking and a Perfect Storm will Form. My father has a RIA that is amazing. So you do not have to spend 3,000 to get a functional 1911. I'm sure there are plenty of out of the box $500 to $600 1911's that are fine. I am now looking into a carry 1911 and a target 1911 but with some health issues i have to be careful of the weight.

syr74
11-10-2010, 19:53
I've seen Ransom rest of what Glocks are Capable of and I don't think I could shoot a 1/2 ragged hole at 50 yds with any gun.

Are you saying that you saw a Glock produce a 1/2 inch group at 50 yards?

deeHKman
11-10-2010, 20:34
Are you saying that you saw a Glock produce a 1/2 inch group at 50 yards?
No certainly not. From a Ransom Rest. I was researching Glock's long before i bought one. I believe most all guns made with todays technology are more accurate than most if not all shooters can produce. Sorry if i did not put the most important part the Ransom being used.

deeHKman
11-10-2010, 20:45
bac, the Vault i mentioned in my other thread. The deceased owner was really into Winchester Rifles, 1911's and old revolvers. I bought a couple of shotguns from him we searched his Vault all over looking for the Ithaca's we found them but this Vault is big and stacked nearly to the ceiling with new guns. I would not even guess how many Winchester's Levers he had some octagonal barrels(I suppose back powder).

If there is a Estate Sale if you like bac i will send you a PM of when and where. I'll stop by tomorrow and see how things seem to stand. This little small town most have no idea of whats in this Vault. Being there i've never seen anything like it.

TxGun
11-10-2010, 20:55
No certainly not. From a Ransom Rest. I was researching Glock's long before i bought one. I believe most all guns made with todays technology are more accurate than most if not all shooters can produce. Sorry if i did not put the most important part the Ransom being used.

IME, about the best a Glock can do out of a mechanical rest at 25 yards is around 2 - 2.5". I saw one tested at the local PD training facility and it was grouping right about that. Now, it was a G22, so some Glock models, or even another individual G22, conceivably could beat that, but I doubt by much. In any case, certainly not in the realm of what the best 1911s can do. But, OTOH, that's more than adequate combat accuracy...much more, IMO, considering that probably 99% of people cannot shoot nearly as well as the gun can, particularly when faced with a mortal threat. I know I couldn't.

deeHKman
11-10-2010, 21:10
IME, about the best a Glock can do out of a mechanical rest at 25 yards is around 2 - 2.5". I saw one tested at the local PD training facility and it was grouping right about that. Now, it was a G22, so some Glock models conceivably could beat that, but I doubt by much. In any case, certainly not in the realm of what the best 1911s can do. But, OTOH, that's more than adequate combat accuracy, considering that probably 99% of people cannot shoot nearly as well as the gun can when faced with a mortal threat. I know I couldn't.

Tx, quite true. i will see if i can find the test i found with guns being shot from a Ransom. That being said accuracy is far from your mind, God forbid if anyone was faced with a Life threating situation. I feel more comfortable carrying a gun with capacity, what if i missed a few shots or even worse there were more than one BG. Just think how far technology has come and the 1911 still runs strong. That a real Testament.

Hokie1911
11-10-2010, 22:23
Of course 1911s are better than Glocks, even though currently I own glocks and not a single 1911, this is why they are better

Winner. :thumbsup:

GVFlyer
11-11-2010, 00:15
I've seen Ransom rest of what Glocks are Capable of and i don't think i could shoot a 1/2 ragged hole at 50 yds with any gun.

Neither could a Glock. If it could, it would be significantly more accurate than a $4500.00 Wilson Combat Supergrade, which comes with a 1" at 25 yards accuracy guarantee.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_supergrade.htm

pzlehr
11-11-2010, 06:29
Post this in General Glocking and a Perfect Storm will Form. My father has a RIA that is amazing. So you do not have to spend 3,000 to get a functional 1911. I'm sure there are plenty of out of the box $500 to $600 1911's that are fine. I am now looking into a carry 1911 and a target 1911 but with some health issues i have to be careful of the weight.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 RIA's, both are tack drivers and equal to my 2 Kimbers. Makes me want to sell a Kimber and get the RIA 9mm 1911 and have money left over for ammo. I was very surprised at how well they shoot and function for a $400.00 gun. Makes you wonder why anyone would buy a $1,000.00 1911. Wonder why I did? Oh yes, I bought them before I even knew about RIA.

pzlehr
11-11-2010, 06:37
This almost exactly mirrors my feelings on the subject. I love Glocks for what they are... simple, light, accurate and high capacity..... HOWEVER, If I were going into the field or a gunfight.... give me a 1911 anyday.

I've always read where you take a Glock to a gunfight, simple,light,accurte,high capacity...and the 1911 you use on the range. I don't believe that really. But that seems to be the mantra going around. For it might depend on where I was going....staying in town or going to a big city. Town...1911, the city...a Glock. Either way I'd take an extra mag.

mesteve2
11-11-2010, 07:39
Glock to show the bad guy!

1911's to brag to your friends.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 07:56
bac, the Vault i mentioned in my other thread. The deceased owner was really into Winchester Rifles, 1911's and old revolvers. I bought a couple of shotguns from him we searched his Vault all over looking for the Ithaca's we found them but this Vault is big and stacked nearly to the ceiling with new guns. I would not even guess how many Winchester's Levers he had some octagonal barrels(I suppose back powder).

If there is a Estate Sale if you like bac i will send you a PM of when and where. I'll stop by tomorrow and see how things seem to stand. This little small town most have no idea of whats in this Vault. Being there i've never seen anything like it.

Very cool.

Thank you. :)

lawdog734
11-11-2010, 08:55
In the end, I carry a 1911. I ask myself if the goblins come and I have my twin daughters with me which gun do I hope I have? The answer is always a 1911. Not saying the gun is better but I shoot it way better than any other platform.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 09:16
In the end, I carry a 1911. I ask myself if the goblins come and I have my twin daughters with me which gun do I hope I have? The answer is always a 1911. Not saying the gun is better but I shoot it way better than any other platform.

:agree:

lawdog734
11-11-2010, 09:27
:agree:

And thanks to you. It will be a no name with alum grips in my hand. Good call :wavey:

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 09:30
And thanks to you. It will be a no name with alum grips in my hand. Good call :wavey:

Until your wife finds out about it...then it will be a No Name with alum grips in my hand. :rofl:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 09:32

:thumbsup:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 09:33

:thumbsup:

lawdog734
11-11-2010, 09:39
Until your wife finds out about it...then it will be a No Name with alum grips in my hand. :rofl:

She saw it the other day and asked "which one is that?" I said "the one I have had for a while" good thing she can't tell the difference between a kimber raptor and a guncrafters no name

Steel Head
11-11-2010, 09:41
I dream of 1911's.
But I carry a Glock- I stuff it in my Fishing waders for weeks at a time.
It gets covered in dirt at work and I don't care.
You know it's gonna work.
It's simple and light and not too spendy.
Better than a 1911? Yes in some ways, but the Glock is not full on dream material either and I wouldn't say a 1911 is getting beat up in my comparison
as it's seen plenty of hard days and still kickin stronger than ever

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 09:42
She saw it the other day and asked "which one is that?" I said "the one I have had for a while" good thing she can't tell the difference between a kimber raptor and a guncrafters no name

:rofl:

My wife knows about my Brown...just not the cost of the ticket to ride.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 09:56

:animlol:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 09:57

knedrgr
11-11-2010, 10:11

My wife knows about my Brown...just not the cost of the ticket to ride.

Once she finds out...you'll be riding her boot up your arse... :rofl:

GVFlyer
11-11-2010, 12:09
Glock to show the bad guy!

1911's to brag to your friends.

I carried a M1911 in combat and it functioned efficiently, in some cases better than the CAR-15 that I also toted around. I never thought of using a Glock.

Look at what America's elite forces are using: DELTA, Force Recon, MEU(SOC) and Army Special Forces all use 1911s.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/1911_in_Iraq.jpg

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/Task_Force_20_removes_bodies_of_Oday_and_Qusay/aac.sized.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_YLI8vY71DLQ/S-LzFuabriI/AAAAAAAABbU/QmdsoUgiTeo/s512/abj.jpg

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meu_1911.htm

For background, read...

"Inside Delta" Eric Haney

"Delta Force" Charlie Beckwith

woodrowNC
11-11-2010, 12:22
these are the kind of posts i find funny. part of my enjoyment of glocktalk. pointless and on and on.the best posts come from the new shooters who've been into firearms for 10 yrs or less. some of the things they say/believe are truly halarious. best info of any gun forum and entertaining too. i also kinda miss Alfred10. he could come up with some doosies. as for my opinion, i like my glocks, but 1911's RULE.

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 12:36
http://www.benswenson.com/images/hosting/vader_luke_glock_1911_bespin_s.jpg

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 12:38
http://gullyborg.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/glockv1911.jpg

lawdog734
11-11-2010, 13:48

knedrgr
11-11-2010, 14:28

:rofl::rofl::rofl: :rock:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 15:35
http://www.benswenson.com/images/hosting/vader_luke_glock_1911_bespin_s.jpg

bac1023
11-11-2010, 15:36

Always a great comic! :supergrin: :thumbsup:

.45Super-Man
11-11-2010, 19:31
I carried a M1911 in combat and it functioned efficiently, in some cases better than the CAR-15 that I also had. I never thought of using a Glock.

Look at what America's elite forces are using, DELTA, Force Recon, MEU(SOC) and Army Special Forces all use 1911s.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/1911_in_Iraq.jpg

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/Task_Force_20_removes_bodies_of_Oday_and_Qusay/aac.sized.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_YLI8vY71DLQ/S-LzFuabriI/AAAAAAAABbU/QmdsoUgiTeo/s512/abj.jpg

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meu_1911.htm

For background, read...

"Inside Delta" Eric Haney

"Delta Force" Charlie Beckwith

Good posting and the perfect counter the next time a newb states. "a 1911 is something you show to your friends, a Glock is something you show to your enemies". Evidently everyone from GI's in WW1 to some of the most experienced special teams at present are confused because they've been showing(and using) their 1911's, with great effect, to every single enemy of the US for 100 years!! :supergrin:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 21:06
Good posting and the perfect counter the next time a newb states. "a 1911 is something you show to your friends, a Glock is something you show to your enemies". Evidently everyone from GI's in WW1 to some of the most experienced special teams at present are confused because they've been showing(and using) their 1911's, with great effect, to every single enemy of the US for 100 years!! :supergrin:

I don't know about you guys, but I've always thought that was one of the dumbest things I ever heard on GT.

It runs rampant over in General Glocking from newbies who don't even know what they're talking about. :upeyes:

GVFlyer
11-11-2010, 21:33

Amen, brother.

I'm the third generation in my family to have carried a 1911 in combat.

TxGun
11-11-2010, 21:56
I don't know about you guys, but I've always thought that was one of the dumbest things I ever heard on GT.

It runs rampant over in General Glocking from newbies who don't even know what they're talking about. :upeyes:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. You read some of the damndest things there. Opinions without benefit of experience or knowledge. I think there is a corollary here too: the 'problems' many newbies report there are often questionable, at best. A sizable % of them are not gun-related at all, IMO, but instead originate in inexperienced cockpits :upeyes:. But some sure get upset when challenged about it! In any case, there are many knowledgeable people there too, of course, and others just wanting to learn. But jeez...there are always a few who seem to view their Glock as a joystick in a video game. Again, JMO.

tx787
11-12-2010, 16:42
I put my 900th round through my Kimber today, so far I can't seem to figure out why people say they aren't reliable. Perhaps it's still too few rounds, but I'll report back when I have an issue.

GVFlyer
11-12-2010, 18:08
I think it has to do with the variability of their quality control processes; some people get good Kimbers, others do not. Both report here.

Bullman
11-12-2010, 19:12
I held a Kimber Eclipse Custom II in my hands today, it felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. :drool:

brisk21
11-12-2010, 19:14
Its nice to hear about MODERN combat soldiers using 1911s in modern combat roles. Real experience and opinion based on actual use. Not just a bunch of guys that have never been in the sandbox or anywhere else dangerous. I like that. Those are the opinions that matter, not the dude on the internet that works at the bank and lives in a snobby suburb and only "knows" what he reads on glocktalk.

.45Super-Man
11-12-2010, 19:17
There's also been a spattering recently about how certain "clandestine units" and "military entities" use Glocks,lol. I had to ask which "Call of duty" they were referring to.:supergrin:

Hokie1911
11-12-2010, 19:39
Its nice to hear about MODERN combat soldiers using 1911s in modern combat roles. Real experience and opinion based on actual use. Not just a bunch of guys that have never been in the sandbox or anywhere else dangerous. I like that. Those are the opinions that matter, not the dude on the internet that works at the bank and lives in a snobby suburb and only "knows" what he reads on glocktalk.

Seriously? I've never been "in the sandbox", so what's your point? I'd venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of the folks on here do not have military experience. So that disqualifies us from "real experience" according to you? Thanks for the laugh bro. :thumbsup:

.45Super-Man
11-12-2010, 19:43
Seriously? I've never been "in the sandbox", so what's your point? I'd venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of the folks on here do not have military experience. So that disqualifies us from "real experience" according to you? Thanks for the laugh bro. :thumbsup:

:faint:

lawdog734
11-12-2010, 20:32
There's also been a spattering recently about how certain "clandestine units" and "military entities" use Glocks,lol. I had to ask which "Call of duty" they were referring to.:supergrin:

Rangers about to go to the delta teams were running with glock 21s. Not that that means anything, I like my 1911s and carry them all the time while my 23 sits in the safe.

GVFlyer
11-12-2010, 20:37
Not saying it isn't so, but I've never seen the 75th Ranger Regiment use Glocks and those guys are the cutting edge Rangers.

lawdog734
11-12-2010, 20:40
Not saying it isn't so, but I've never seen the 75th Ranger Regiment use Glocks and those guys are the cutting edge Rangers.

It was at Zusman, maybe it was because they were using simunitions. I can only say what I saw them using and it hurts.

GVFlyer
11-12-2010, 20:43
Copy that.

Quack
11-14-2010, 00:02
don't know if this was posted in this thread...

http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective

TommyJ
11-15-2010, 19:25
Apples and Oranges....both serve a purpose...both great

Alaskapopo
11-15-2010, 19:49
Apples and Oranges....both serve a purpose...both great

I disagree they are both combat handguns designed with the same purpose in mind. Both are good at that mission.
Pat

INJoker
11-15-2010, 20:10

If you read, "The Mission, The Men, and Me" by Peter Blaber (SFOD-D) or "Kill Bin Laden" by Dalton Fury (SFOD-D), you will see that Delta does indeed employ several Glock variants.

According to both books, it is ultimately up to the individual Operator to choose which firearm he will carry for a specific mission/purpose.

There are also a couple of real-deal SF types here on GT who have mentioned using G19s on operations overseas.

I'm a bit of a Vickers fan-boy, but he is a guy who seriously, seriously, seriously knows his stuff and has trained more of the best shooters/warriors in the world than anyone - he recommends BOTH 1911s and Glocks.

:cool:

ETA: Both Blaber and Fury refer to carrying Glocks since the '90's, so Delta has been using them for at least a decade now... Which should be "old news" to you guys...

Alaskapopo
11-15-2010, 21:06
If you read, "The Mission, The Men, and Me" by Peter Blaber (SFOD-D) or "Kill Bin Laden" by Dalton Fury (SFOD-D), you will see that Delta does indeed employ several Glock variants.

According to both books, it is ultimately up to the individual Operator to choose which firearm he will carry for a specific mission/purpose.

There are also a couple of real-deal SF types here on GT who have mentioned using G19s on operations overseas.

I'm a bit of a Vickers fan-boy, but he is a guy who seriously, seriously, seriously knows his stuff and has trained more of the best shooters/warriors in the world than anyone - he recommends BOTH 1911s and Glocks.

ETA: Both Blaber and Fury refer to carrying Glocks since the '90's, so Delta has been using them for at least a decade now... Which should be "old news" to you guys...

True enough.

.45Super-Man
11-16-2010, 16:29

If you were supplying weapons that may end up left at the "job site", would you be more apt to use or suggest Glocks for that role, or expensive 1911's? Aside from that, finding a tuned 1911 on foreign soil really helps narrow things down a bit in terms of who left it, whereas Glocks are distributed globally. These teams keep an inventory of weapons that are for no other purpose and in some instances, it's their only purpose. It goes without saying that if you want them to think it may have been another country, you dont bring american weapons, knowing before hand that if there is a battle that at least a few weapons will be left behind. Disposable weapons are nothing new and whatever gets left behind is the only tangible proof of who was there(aside from shell casings).

G36_Me
11-17-2010, 16:30
any thread this long, I have to post (maybe I already have). My comment is: this thread is stupid and I won't read it.

fmfdocglock
11-17-2010, 16:40
While I have had my 1911 30 yrs, and one was my assigned weapon in the service, and it is my sentimental favorite, I must honestly say I prefer my the G30 to it.

brisk21
11-17-2010, 18:17
I wonder what it would be like if the Glock was also in service in 1911. I wonder which gun would prevail?

Magus
11-17-2010, 18:26
Both are proven and good platforms. I own both. 1911's can get a bad rap because so many different manufactures make them and quality does vary. Some are without question better than others.

Glocks though are Glocks...one company, different calibers and models, but overall same basic design.

Boils down to your own preference. If you have a quality 1911 and a Glock...which you shoot better and which you feel more comfortable with is all that matters. "Better" is merely a matter of ones own perspective.

I have both because I have different purposes for them. For me, 1911's are "better" in some scenarios and my Glocks are "better" in others.

The overall "better" war is for the fanboys of either platform who don't seem to comprehend they're allowed to own and like more than one pistol.

samuse
11-17-2010, 19:18
If you're on a budget and want it right the first time, Glock.

If you're seeking perfection and have money (and patience) to blow, you'll eventually have a 1911 that is better than a Glock... If you don't mind the weight. Or capacity...

HAIL CAESAR
11-17-2010, 19:48
Skip the Glock and get a S&W M&P!

.45Super-Man
11-17-2010, 20:56
Skip the Glock and get a S&W M&P!

Skip both the Glock and M&P and get a Steyr.:supergrin:

Gary1911A1
11-18-2010, 01:42
This is like the discussion of which is better, the 9MM or the .45ACP. I don't think it will ever be resolved.

samuse
11-19-2010, 17:09
There's probably a reason every handgun related similie (pissing contest) contains one of two phrases: "as _______ as a Glock" or "as_______ as a 1911"

They're both great handguns in their own right.

Climbhard
11-19-2010, 19:52
.45ACP. Because shooting anything twice is silly.

Cobra64
11-19-2010, 20:07
.45ACP. Because shooting anything twice is silly.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/CALIBERWAR.jpg

"No one wins."

dbltaptm
11-25-2010, 22:00
Hi,

Chuck

Glocks do have their place. They are decent handguns. In the past 23 years, I have fired the following number of rounds through Glock pistols:
Glock 17 #1: 100,000+
Glock 17 #2: 100,000+
Glock 17 #3: 100,000+
Glock 21: 75,600
Glock 22: 11,500

Regardless of the above, I can do things quicker and better with a 1911 than with ANY other firearm. I have the option of carrying an issue G22 on duty. I turned it in and carry a 1911.
YMMV

Bullman
11-25-2010, 23:41
Man, I would love to have access to your supply of ammo, that is a lot of shooting.

brisk21
11-26-2010, 06:23
don't know if this was posted in this thread...

http://pistol-training.com/articles/trust-no-one-an-insiders-perspective

Good read. Very interesting!

bac1023
11-26-2010, 06:43
Man, I would love to have access to your supply of ammo, that is a lot of shooting.

Yes it is. :wow:

20South
11-27-2010, 21:42

LOL You too? Of course now that my safe is crammed completely full, I am going to have a hard time explaining why we need a new safe. You know, since all of the guns I have had for so long...

Mr. Gekko
11-27-2010, 21:53
This is a very subjective topic, but I think both are great handguns. I like the mid-size Glocks and I like the the 4-5" 1911's. They both have strengths and weaknesses like any other firearm. Both are not perfect but I would feel safe with either at my side.

If I was forced to choose between the two, 1911 all the way.

janice6
11-27-2010, 22:00
There is no "better", only "different".

bac1023
11-27-2010, 23:17

Well, the 1911 is better for me.

I like Glocks, but I'm much more comfortable with a 1911.

mrsurfboard
11-27-2010, 23:49
My answer is, which ever one you like. Some people like and shoot better with Glock, some with 1911s. I personally shoot better with 1911's and with the exception of the G36, am horrible with the Glock.

bac1023
11-28-2010, 06:41
I'm not real good with a Glock either. :dunno:

dbltaptm
11-28-2010, 21:37

I have a Dillon 650 and have done my very best to wear it out over the past 20 years or so. Duty assignments have also afforded me opportunities to shot quite a bit. I spend my money of guns, gear and components. I love to shoot and compete. I don't even want to put a pencil to how much I have spent on ammo. Heck, I am only gonna live once... might as well do what I enjoy!

MD357
11-28-2010, 21:50
Glocks do have their place. They are decent handguns. In the past 23 years, I have fired the following number of rounds through Glock pistols:
Glock 17 #1: 100,000+
Glock 17 #2: 100,000+
Glock 17 #3: 100,000+
Glock 21: 75,600
Glock 22: 11,500

Regardless of the above, I can do things quicker and better with a 1911 than with ANY other firearm. I have the option of carrying an issue G22 on duty. I turned it in and carry a 1911.
YMMV

Man that's A LOT of shooting. Cheers.

Hokie1911
11-28-2010, 21:58
Man that's A LOT of shooting. Cheers.

That is about 375 rounds a week for 23 years. :wow:

keith56
11-28-2010, 22:08
I love my Glocks ,I'm a diehard Glock fan as for 1911's well..... they were a good gun in 1911 :tongueout:

GVFlyer
11-29-2010, 14:38

The 1911 is better for me. It served me well in combat and I trust it. I carried one in jungle and sand until I was force issued a M9.

My Glocks are relegated to a home/auto defense role, have GTL22/Tactical Light/Lasers on them and live in Gunvaults throughout the house and under the seat in my cars. I shoot them just enough to maintain proficiency and be competent with their manual of arms. They're where they are for the convenience of having a gun nearby when I'm unarmed.

I shoot my 1911s for pure enjoyment and carry them for my personal defense.

Hokie1911
11-29-2010, 14:52
I love my Glocks ,I'm a diehard Glock fan as for 1911's well..... they were a good gun in 1911 :tongueout:

If Glock is "perfection"...why are they on their 3rd update in less than 30 years? :dunno:

drc767
11-29-2010, 15:06
If Glock is "perfection"...why are they on their 3rd update in less than 30 years? :dunno:

And going backwards, at that......I think the Gen 4 Glocks are a step in the wrong direction. I think they pretty much had them nailed in Gen. II. Just my opinion, though....

TxGun
11-29-2010, 15:08

Because that's just a marketing slogan? Sort of like Sig's "Reliability. First time, every time." (Yet lack of same got them an early dismissal from the BATF competition). Both are simply marketing hooks, not reality.

Quack
11-29-2010, 15:09

don't forget the magazine generations...i don't even know what they are on now. :whistling:

Quack
11-29-2010, 15:10
Because that's just a marketing slogan? Sort of like Sig's "Reliability. First time, every time." (Yet lack of same got them an early dismissal from the BATF competition). :dunno:

Sig went down hill when the Kimber CEO went over to them :whistling:

TxGun
11-29-2010, 15:14
Sig went down hill when the Kimber CEO went over to them :whistling:

Is that right? Maybe there is a connection :dunno:.