Dillon 9mm Die Problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 9mm Die Problem

Jim
10-29-2010, 20:18
When loading 9mm on my 650 using Dillon dies, about 5%-10% of the sized cases will show a thin ring of brass about 1/8" forward of the extractor groove. I call them the "9mm Belted Magnum." :supergrin:

Apparently, the Dillon die is so tight that some of the brass won't squeeze into it and bunches up ahead of the carbide ring.

Usually, the ring is minor enough that I would feel safe shooting the round. But since I can't be sure the same case won't be weakened by repeated "ringing", I've been shooting them once and tossing 'em.

The problem is not restricted to one brand of brass, and the guns used have been two G-19's, two Browning Hi-Powers, and a few misc.

I called Dillon and they didn't seem concerned about it, and specifically told me not to adjust the sizing die upward a little; that could lead to cases that won't chamber.

Experience and suggestions?
Thanks.

davesretired1
10-29-2010, 20:36
If I remember correctly back to when I was loading 9mm, I used the Lee carbide sizing die in my 550. It's supposed to have a slightly different design of the mouth of the die that eliminated the ' belted' look. I do remember that I had no problems with feeding or reloading the brass.

Boxerglocker
10-29-2010, 21:07
Just for giggles, clean that die well with some break cleaner or similar. This would be a good time to check for any irregularities. Then reinstall and adjust again, ensure you set all your dies and tighten them up only after all the stations are loaded up.
Finally if you don't try a little lube on the brass and see if it still happens, if not your all good... if still exsistent I would send the die back for a replacement. Mine do not do that at all.

Jim
10-30-2010, 08:25
Just for giggles, clean that die well with some break cleaner or similar. This would be a good time to check for any irregularities. Then reinstall and adjust again, ensure you set all your dies and tighten them up only after all the stations are loaded up. Finally if you don't try a little lube on the brass and see if it still happens, if not your all good... if still exsistent I would send the die back for a replacement. Mine do not do that at all.

Already did the bold part, and I'm just not gonna lube pistol cases loaded with carbide dies. Maybe I'll call Dillon again.

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 10:06
If the brass is that worked it should be discarded. It could lead to a case head seperation. It would be nice to see a picture to make sure we are not making a big deal about nothing. But brass that builds up a lip you can feel with your finger is going to fail.

I would make sure the die is tight to the shellplate but not causing a bind. Loosening it is the exact opposite of what you want to do. Getting the die to work as low as possible might (unlikely) help. Sizing as low as possible is always preferred in a pistol round.

alank2
10-30-2010, 10:08
Hi,

I've posted about this before. I love Dillon products, but their 9mm dies are not my favorite. The problem: Their small height carbide ring tries to turn 9mm's slightly tapered case into a straight walled one.

Lee even in their cheaper dies have a much taller carbide ring that does a much better job.

You want perfect? Get a Redding Pro Series titanium carbide die - their carbide ring is FULL HEIGHT and resizes 9mm with the proper taper. At least someone decided to do it right.

Good luck,

Alan

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 10:15
Never used a Dillon 9mm sizer. 9mm is a tapered sizer and the Lee Sizer is also Tapered. Never measured any of the others.

Jim
10-30-2010, 10:30
I just called Dillon again, this time they said my die needs to be radiused just a little more near the base.

The guy said mine will be fixed or replaced within a day of receipt, so I'll try that.
Thanks for the help.

Boxerglocker
10-30-2010, 12:54
Already did the bold part, and I'm just not gonna lube pistol cases loaded with carbide dies. Maybe I'll call Dillon again.

To each his own... I wasn't trying to convert you to lubing your pistol brass. Just making the sugestion to troubleshoot the issue perhaps you have a scored/cracked carbide ring in the die.
Though I'd put money on it that if you never tried you'd continue to do so after doing so... :upeyes:

Colorado4Wheel
10-30-2010, 17:49
[Sarcasm ON]

Lubing pistol brass is SOOOOO HARD

[Sarcasm OFF]

WiskyT
10-30-2010, 19:44
[Sarcasm ON]

Lubing pistol brass is SOOOOO HARD

[Sarcasm OFF]

He's probably thinking rolling each one on a lube pad and then having to clean them off.