Random Reboots in Windows 7 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Random Reboots in Windows 7

unit 900
10-30-2010, 07:27
My son purchased 4 Dell Latitude E6510 laptops for business with 7 Professional. We put in Seagate Momentus XT 500 gb hybrid drives. All 4 have had regular issues with the system rebooting at random with a Kernel 41 error (generic "shut down improperly"). The Internet is full of similar issues with no solution (regardless of the type of hard drive). Obviously a great many folks have had no problems, but a significant minority have had similar issues. I like the OS and find it intuitive and easy to navigate. Are there any insights from the knowledgeable crew here on Tech Talk?

I set 'sleep' mode in the power settings to 'never', and did the same with the wireless card. I'm at my wits' end and no realhelp on line as far as a successful resolution. Dell service claims it's a Windows issue and won't assist. Seagate says the same

kc8ykd
10-30-2010, 11:43
were the reboots happening before you put in the seagate drives ?

Drjones
10-30-2010, 12:53
Why would you put in the HDs yourself? Usually it's pretty cheap to upgrade HD size when you are configuring them through Dell; if the stock is 250gb and you want a 500, it's usually like a $50 upgrade...way cheaper than buying a bare drive and doing it yourself.....

And since you guys did all that work, then surely you can do a clean install of windows on one of the machines to use it as a control....get a better idea if it is windows or the hard drives. Don't install any new software on it, just windows and see how it runs.

Markasaurus
10-30-2010, 17:08
Latest MS racket. They could put the OS on a $100 chip that would run every program ever made. They won't. MS has figured the absolute limit of how much "F&ckaround" you'll go for before you quit it. Im still on XP, saving money for the next comp in a year or two.

GIockGuy24
10-30-2010, 18:12
Make sure the video driver is from Dell and not from Windows update or another source. Whatever the latest driver Dell offers, stick to the Dell supplied drivers, even older ones if needed. This also applies to other drivers but the video driver seems to cause the most issues. Windows update will often offer a generic update for drivers. make sure all of the drivers are from Dell downloads. Try the latest BIOS or the original BIOS if it was updated. Windows update normally has drivers as "optional" updates so they are pretty easy to avoid.

Linux3
10-31-2010, 15:06
Did you tell the BIOS about the new drive?

That is at boot time bring up the BIOS screen and make sure it is correctly seeing the drive.

My experience with Dells, and I do tend to like them, is that they are very very touchy about hardware changes.

IndyGunFreak
10-31-2010, 15:11
4 Hard drives?

What is the wattage on the Power supply?

IGF