Need want A Limbsaver for the 930 SPX? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need want A Limbsaver for the 930 SPX?

ScrappyDoo
10-30-2010, 11:15
Hey I am also interested in recoil reduction for my 930 SPX, .. I mean it pounds with 00 Buck and Slugs, I'm almost too much of a b1tch t do it.. but having a top-of-the-line combat shotgun for combat and HD ... you're gonna be loaded with 00 Buck at the minimum and slug availability, capability, and deployment is very important so... I guess I will be buying and installing a new butt pad right? That's the first and easiest/quickest way to reduce the recoil and pain?

So I hear Limbsaver is the best, that is true and the consensus here ? Could anyone tell me what I need? Thanks!

Z71bill
10-30-2010, 11:32
Limbsaver is a quality pad - $30 and free shipping on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Limbsaver-Speed-Mount-Recoil-Mossberg/dp/B00162NQT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1288460314&sr=1-1

Make sure it fits your gun - this is the SKU for the 930 - I do not know if the 930 SPX uses the same pad.

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/products/firearms/recoil_pads/index.php#precision

Ride5C2
10-30-2010, 18:08
Same Pad as the 930. I've got the Limbsaver on my SPX and it makes a world of difference.

mixflip
10-31-2010, 19:31
I want a limbsaver for my 930SPX also!

CBennett
11-01-2010, 09:20
I want a limbsaver for my 930SPX also!

I keep debating a Limbsaver or the Knoxx stock(I have no problems with pistol grips)

ScrappyDoo
11-01-2010, 12:01
I can't do the Knoxx stock because A- No pistol grips on autoloading shotguns in Jersey and also B- I am the opposite of my esteemed GlockTalk good friend and colleague mixflip, I do pump shotgun pistol grips and I like conventional stock semis Especially the auto loading 930 SPX (A lot in part due to the Moss berg Safety system ... )

Now I think what I would like to do is when I order my Benelli Supernova Tactical I would like to order the ComfortTech recoil-absorbing conventional stock and then ordering a recoil-reducing hopefully Knoxx? pistol grip stock for it to have the option of either and the best of both worlds.. For some reason Benelli won't put their good technology and the recoil-**** in the "Steady Grip" Pistol-grip stock. :(

Oh and BTW the LimbSaver stuff they have at Dick's around here look nothing like these here... So I can't walk in thestore and get it but whatever I'm going to soon order it... Much obliged again. I shydder to think about the zombies up against a pissed-off Scrap and of course you righteous peoples armed with my 930 SPX AND A recoil reducing LimbSaver pad, I'll be busting caps in zombies with a flurry of buckshot like BAM! :)

Z71bill
09-21-2011, 14:05
:wow::wow:

I did a Google search to try and figure out which Limbsaver pad fits the 930 with the pistol grip -

It takes me to an old GT thread - THAT I ACTUALLY POSTED IN almost a year ago. :rofl:

I am close to "pulling the trigger" on a 930 with the pistol grip - anyone know if the Limbsaver pad from the "regular" stock fits the pistol grip stock?

10200 is the Limbsaver part number.

coastal4974
09-21-2011, 19:40
Anyone use one of these on their 930, does it live up to their claim?

Bello
09-21-2011, 19:45
Top of the line? I dont think so..

1canvas
09-21-2011, 20:39
i like limbsavers on my sporting shotguns but not on my defense SG. i notice in the field sometimes when i quickly shoulder the gun the soft material will grab my jacket or shirt. i wouldn't want that in a defense situation.

ScrappyDoo
09-21-2011, 23:03
That model # looks like what I remember , it's making the lightbulb go off, I think you're good.

And yeah I installed in on my M930SPX and it's game changing. Bello I know you are the guy with the Benelli M4 so youve got the most expensive setup around, I therefore respect your entry but, what are you trying to say, please elaborate.

Cause in my opinion which to some people means something, the LimbSaver is absolutely awesome. At least lets put it this way which is Not an opinion, this part is fact - The LimbSaver COMPLETELY CHANGED the feel of the M930SPX. prior to LimbSaver I didn't enjoy shooting the shotgun and had actual reservations about if I could really use it for HD/PP/Combat because if I couldn't deploy it comfortable, how could I trust my life to it? Putting the LimbSaver on it not only makes i completely comfortable it makes it FUN to shoot- I can make 6-8 00 Bucks go boom so quick people on the far end of the firing line come down like WTF you shooting down there???

And I'm 5'8 maybe, 145 lbs? 150lbs MAX when I'm chunky from a bad junk food diet- it's not like I'm 6' 230 which obviously would be a little easier to wield a boomstick.

So based on the factual RESULTS I experienced on my shotgun, it's my OPINION That the LimbSaver is certainly top of the line. And for the record, who ever has recommended other brands ? Generally it's SuperCell if you're a Remington user or LimbSaver for the rest of us.

YMMV, of course.

epoxy252
09-21-2011, 23:21
I just bought a limbsaver for my mossberg 9200nwtf 12g, walmart sells the slip on versions under the winchester branding for around $20(still says limbsaver on the pad and on the box in smaller print). The recoil on my 9200 was almost unbearable before I bought the limbsaver. Without the pad on it just like your 930spx, the gun was literally a pain for me to shoot, it felt like my shoulder was going to be dislocated/broken after every trigger pull. The limbsaver did live up the the claim of up to 70% recoil reduction IMO. It's the only gun I've owned that ever punished my shoulder like that, which really sucked because my dad gave it to me for a birthday present last month.

I'm 5'11" 250lbs in reasonable shape, I can shoot my mosin's, garand's and other shotguns all day long without pain/padding but not the 9200 .

VZ1600
09-21-2011, 23:44
I have a limbsaver pad on my SPX. I've put 1000's of rounds thru it, works great!

Z71bill
09-22-2011, 07:20
I have a limbsaver pad on my SPX. I've put 1000's of rounds thru it, works great!

Does your 930 have the pistol grip stock?

I see the 930 listed on the Limbsaver web page under 10200/10201 - but when I LOOK at pictures of the two guns the recoil pad just doesn't look the same.

Z71bill
09-22-2011, 07:25
I just bought a limbsaver for my mossberg 9200nwtf 12g, walmart sells the slip on versions under the winchester branding for around $20(still says limbsaver on the pad and on the box in smaller print). The recoil on my 9200 was almost unbearable before I bought the limbsaver. Without the pad on it just like your 930spx, the gun was literally a pain for me to shoot, it felt like my shoulder was going to be dislocated/broken after every trigger pull. The limbsaver did live up the the claim of up to 70% recoil reduction IMO. It's the only gun I've owned that ever punished my shoulder like that, which really sucked because my dad gave it to me for a birthday present last month.

I'm 5'11" 250lbs in reasonable shape, I can shoot my mosin's, garand's and other shotguns all day long without pain/padding but not the 9200 .

I have a precision fit R3 / Limbsaver pad on my Remington 870

I also have two slip on Limbsaver pads - I use them on an old Winchester shotgun and Mossin-Nagant rifles.

The slip on pad does not do as good of a job with recoil reduction. Not even close.

I purchased a slip on Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad - it is MUCH better than the Limbsaver.

Z71bill
09-22-2011, 07:38
i like limbsavers on my sporting shotguns but not on my defense SG. i notice in the field sometimes when i quickly shoulder the gun the soft material will grab my jacket or shirt. i wouldn't want that in a defense situation.

I can understand your point - but a good recoil pad like the precision fit Limbsaver - helps me with faster follow up shots.

I also like to practice shooting clays with my HD gun (I use a longer barrel / same gun)

IMHO these two factors are important enough to overcome the snag issue.

Plus - since there is a good chance I will be in my underwear during a HD situation - I am not worried about the stock snagging on my shirt - because I won't have one on.

coastal4974
09-22-2011, 09:20
Ok I just ordered one for my SPX (no pistol grip )
Can't wait to try it out.

Roostmonkey
09-22-2011, 17:24
I hear gym memberships are only about $30 a month... just saying ;)

DHSGMAN
09-22-2011, 18:33
Sissies. Trust me if you ever have to use it in an HD situation you won't feel the recoil. You don't need a limbsaver. You need to condition your body to accept that recoil, and get back on target as fast as you can. Besides unless you have gorilla arms the LOP is already a bit to long for most users. The pad just adds too much material and tends to snag.

I've practiced at the range and I can unload 7 rounds on target with minor variances in shot placement,when firing under a very fast pace ( not spray and pray). When it comes to slugs and 00 buck practice DOES make perfect.

Z71bill
09-22-2011, 18:55
Sissies. Trust me if you ever have to use it in an HD situation you won't feel the recoil. You don't need a limbsaver. You need to condition your body to accept that recoil, and get back on target as fast as you can. Besides unless you have gorilla arms the LOP is already a bit to long for most users. The pad just adds too much material and tends to snag.

I've practiced at the range and I can unload 7 rounds on target with minor variances in shot placement,when firing under a very fast pace ( not spray and pray). When it comes to slugs and 00 buck practice DOES make perfect.

:rofl::upeyes::yawn:

Does your baby sitter know you are on the computer?

:rofl:

Me like bruises - me tough guy -

Grow up - or go away.

ScrappyDoo
09-22-2011, 19:18
lol I love it when people tell other people what's good for them and better for their firearms and particularly bodies.

this isn't even a question of, My brand is better than your brand, this is a case of "You shouldn't use an improvement / recoil pad?" Wow.

It IS true, people can actually become hygenic products in real life.

DHSGMAN
09-22-2011, 20:14
Okay, first off I'm 44 year old 3 time Combat Veteran so I think maybe it's past your bedtime.

Secondly, Scrappy initially I thought you were referring to the slip on pad. That was my mistake. I fully understand your question, I read through it too fast. My bad.

Does it at anything to the LOP or Length Of Pull (for those less educated)? I cannot find the LOP listing anywhere other than the one size fits all model.

(Z71)Last, but not least I have enough muscle strength in my arms and shoulders where the 12 Gauge doesn't bruise me, maybe you can use a few feminine pads to absorb the recoil and prevent the bruises. Maybe a 20Gauge is more your style.

Here's my "arm bruiser"http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/930012.jpg

Z71bill
09-22-2011, 20:42
Okay, first off I'm 44 year old 3 time Combat Veteran so I maybe it's past your bedtime.

Secondly, Scrappy initially I thought you were referring to the slip on pad. That was my mistake. I fully understand your question, I read through it too fast. My bad.

Does it at anything to the LOP or Length Of Pull (for those less educated)? I cannot find the LOP listing anywhere other than the one size fits all model.

(Z71)Last, but not least I have enough muscle strength in my arms and shoulders where the 12 Gauge doesn't bruise me, maybe you can use a few feminine pads to absorb the recoil and prevent the bruises. Maybe a 20Gauge is more your style.

In addition to a few 12 gauge pump action shotguns - I have a 20 gauge semi auto - sweet gun - easy to handle - quick follow up shots - what is not to like? I did put a slip on recoil pad on my 20 gauge - to cut back on the recoil. :tongueout:

You think a man can't shoot a 20 gauge? You think what gun a person uses determines how much of a man they are?

BTW - you don't really get that much less FELT recoil from a 20 gauge VS a 12 -

The reason you get a 20 is because you want a lighter - easier to handle gun.

Only a fool would want more recoil - you a fool? Obviously yes.

Been shooting shotguns longer than you been alive - and yes old men do bruise easier.:crying:

So as I got older - I got smarter - and about 30 years ago figured out that having a quality recoil pad helped me get back on target faster - plus made shooting 2-300 clay targets in a day a lot more fun - and a lot less painful.

:wavey:

Z71bill
09-22-2011, 20:48
Okay, first off I'm 44 year old 3 time Combat Veteran so I think maybe it's past your bedtime.

Here's my "arm bruiser"http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/930012.jpg

What is that thing on the end of your stock? :upeyes:

Is that a recoil pad? :rofl: :rofl:

So you tell folks they don't need a recoil pad - that they should man up - they post a pick of your gun with a recoil pad. :upeyes:

DHSGMAN
09-22-2011, 20:57
I'm no idiot, why would I take it off. You're attempt at humor is sophomoric, at best.

Along the lines of your train of thought. "Why not remove the sights, after-all with a shotgun you just have to point and shoot".

Grow up.

Go to Ar15.com, look at the shotgun pictures section the last page shows several makes without recoil pads, namely the Saiga 12's.

coastal4974
09-23-2011, 08:01
Sissies. Trust me if you ever have to use it in an HD situation you won't feel the recoil.
Iím sure we wonít but itís pretty likely that we will never use it in a HD situation so for the 10,000 other times we use it, it might be nice put a higher quality pad on your shoulder than the one that comes stock.
You don't need a limbsaver. You need to condition your body to accept that recoil, and get back on target as fast as you can.
We try.
Besides unless you have gorilla arms the LOP is already a bit to long for most users. The pad just adds too much material and tends to snag.
I have to agree there, how much more does this pad add to the LOP over the stock pad?

Why the hate GMAN? We are not all the same and what is good for the GMAN may not be good for the rest of us. You obviously have a lot of experience and thank you for your service but even a GMAN canít know whatís best for all of us.

Z71bill
09-23-2011, 08:16
I'm no idiot, why would I take it off. You're attempt at humor is sophomoric, at best.

Along the lines of your train of thought. "Why not remove the sights, after-all with a shotgun you just have to point and shoot".

Grow up.

Go to Ar15.com, look at the shotgun pictures section the last page shows several makes without recoil pads, namely the Saiga 12's.

Did you forget that you posted this crap?

"Originally Posted by DHSGMAN
Sissies. Trust me if you ever have to use it in an HD situation you won't feel the recoil. You don't need a limbsaver. You need to condition your body to accept that recoil, and get back on target as fast as you can. Besides unless you have gorilla arms the LOP is already a bit to long for most users. The pad just adds too much material and tends to snag."

According to YOU -

You will not feel the recoil in a HD situation - but what about the other 99.999999999999% of the time you fire the gun?

You don't need a Limbsaver (which is a recoil pad)

You claim you should "condition" your body to accept the recoil.

You claim a recoil pad just makes the LOP too long. I took my stock pad off - put the Limbsaver on - gun is the same length.

You claim the pad will just increase the risk of a snag.

Then you post a pick of your gun with a recoil pad and act like they are a good thing to have.

Call people sissies for wanting a good recoil pad - them show a picture of your gun with a recoil pad and claim it would be dumb to not have one on your gun.

One of the best things a person can do is practice shooting with their HD gun.

If your gun is more comfortable to shoot - you will shoot it more - if it beats you to death you will shoot it less.

Ride5C2
09-23-2011, 08:45
For those making the decision for a Limbsaver, the Limbsaver Model #10201 (Mossberg "all 5 3/16") model fit my SPX perfectly.

Bello
09-23-2011, 11:23
this thread went south fast lol

new jersey gun forums go **** yourself lol!

Z71bill
09-23-2011, 13:01
For those making the decision for a Limbsaver, the Limbsaver Model #10201 (Mossberg "all 5 3/16") model fit my SPX perfectly.

Not to beat a dead horse -

But does your gun have the pistol grip stock?

Ride5C2
09-23-2011, 14:56
Not to beat a dead horse -

But does your gun have the pistol grip stock?

good point, should have clarified. It is the standard stock SPX, not the pistol grip Choate.

DHSGMAN
09-23-2011, 17:12
good point, should have clarified. It is the standard stock SPX, not the pistol grip Choate.

Did it increase the LOP?

z71
I'm no dummy less recoil is good but not at the cost of altering a weapon to make it unusable. Like I said, I initially thought he was inquiring about the slip on pad, which I've seen bad things happens when they rip or fall off. I'm no he man, but I'm not a p*ssy either, most hunting rifles kick harder than a 12 gauge.

My point is conditioning your body to recoil, whether it be pistol, rifle, or shotgun is imperative to learn the art of marksmanship. Besides what if you had to to pick up someone's shotgun? I can't shoot it, I need my limbsaver.... But hey I'll spend the money on one, it's kind of hard to criticize it if I've never used the most current model. Don't hate me bro, we just have different trains of thought, but I bet we agree more that disagree. Love ya like a brother, DHS.

gilfo
09-23-2011, 17:56
Anybody know what size Limbsaver for a Mossberg SA-20 Tactical?

DHSGMAN
09-23-2011, 23:21
Just to prove that I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk I went and purchased the Precision fit limbsaver 10200 for my Mossberg 930 SPX.

It is not plug and play. The top hole lines up but the bottom hole doesn't. After measuring twice and drilling twice I made it work. IT IS NOT A SEAMLESS FIT, like the stock pad.

It does seem to be a much softer rubber, but I have yet to shoot it.

I will post pictures tomorrow along with yesterday's (or for some today's) receipt and box. It lists the 930 but I repeat IT IS NOT A SIMPLE SCREW OUT, SCREW IN INSTALL. I had to drill into Limbsaver plastic to make it fit. It is sturdy but it'll have to be a major improvement to be permanent.

Length of Pull is INCREASED about 1/4 of an inch but it pockets well into my arm/shoulder area.

Ride5C2
09-24-2011, 05:45
Just to prove that I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk I went and purchased the Precision fit limbsaver 10200 for my Mossberg 930 SPX.

It is not plug and play. The top hole lines up but the bottom hole doesn't. After measuring twice and drilling twice I made it work. IT IS NOT A SEAMLESS FIT, like the stock pad.

I will post pictures tomorrow along with yesterday's (or for some today's) receipt and box. It lists the 930 but I repeat IT IS NOT A SIMPLE SCREW OUT, SCREW IN INSTALL. I had to drill into Limbsaver plastic to make it fit. It is sturdy but it'll have to be a major improvement to be permanent.

Length of Pull is INCREASED about 1/4 of an inch but it pockets well into my arm/shoulder area.

The 10201 model I mentioned above fit pretty seamless for me. It did require the bottom screw hole as you mentioned though.

Z71bill
09-24-2011, 12:17

SISSY! :tongueout::rofl:

I shot a 150 hundred rounds - mix of birdshot (125) & buckshot (25) through a new Remington 870 with the original recoil pad.

I just couldn't wait for my R3 (Limbsaver pad) to be delivered before I tested out my new gun.

The next day I had a LARGE black, blue & yellow bruise on my shoulder and it hurt like hell.

After getting the Limbsaver and healing up - I went to the range and shot 200 rounds of bird shot - 30 rounds of buckshot and 30 slugs.

Next day -small black mark on my shoulder - but it was not even sore.

You will see a BIG difference.

:wavey:

ScrappyDoo
09-24-2011, 16:14
Well at least I feel a lot better about not understanding why I couldn't get mine to , how to say it, precisely fit, err fit precisionly, on the gun - and it pissssssssed me off something awful when I'm saying, I bought the precise one not the grind to fit one, wtf??? So I don't feel so bad about super gluing it now, lol.

DHSGMAN
09-24-2011, 22:23
I'll take the high road since Z71 still wants to act like a kid, even after several apologies on my end for my judgement without first trying it out myself. I still stick by my comments that I posted previously though, training is everything. I still feel my character is above reproach, you may decide differently should you choose to do so.

Not a very precise fit, pad was installed with a rubber mallet and the bottom screw hole is dead on with the stock. The screws would not budge any further and the pad has a gap that cannot be corrected.

Receipt - http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/DSC01235.jpg

Pictures of fit - http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/DSC01231.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/DSC01229.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/DSC01232.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/DSC01228.jpg

Z71bill
09-25-2011, 08:28
[QUOTE=DHSGMAN;17960647]I'll take the high road since Z71 still wants to act like a kid, even after several apologies on my end for my judgement without first trying it out myself. QUOTE]

Just messing with you a little - don't be so serious.

The :tongueout::rofl: was meant as - I am just joking. :upeyes: (this means I can't believe you didn't understand that)

The :wavey: says -bye for now - see you later -

Hope you like your Limbsaver - mine has been great.

DHSGMAN
09-25-2011, 11:43
bill,

That's cool man. What do you think about that seamless fit?

I'll be calling Limbsaver tomorrow and email them pictures. I keep the site updated on the progress.

Anyone,

What could be used to best seal that gap. I was thinking of of Plasti-Dip. Idea's would be appreciated.

As always, Thank you.

zagzig
09-26-2011, 13:44
Weird, the limbsaver on my 930 SPX fit just fine without any need to drill holes. I mounted the plate to the stock and the limbsaver to the plate. All holes lined up as expected. I wonder if the people experiencing problems bought the wrong model or received the wrong plate.

Anyway, the limbsaver does what it is supposed to without sacrificing functionality.

DHSGMAN
09-26-2011, 15:09
Weird, the limbsaver on my 930 SPX fit just fine without any need to drill holes. I mounted the plate to the stock and the limbsaver to the plate. All holes lined up as expected. I wonder if the people experiencing problems bought the wrong model or received the wrong plate.

Anyway, the limbsaver does what it is supposed to without sacrificing functionality.

What model #?

Half Loaded
09-27-2011, 09:55
Sorry, I am a little confused: Those of you who put the Limbsaver on your 930 SPX, did your gun already have a recoil pad on it (like that shown in the photo in this thread) and the original pad was not effective, or did the shotgun come without any recoil pad and you added a Limbsaver? I thought that the 930 SPX came with a rubber recoil pad already installed like the one shown in the photo.

If you swapped out from an original pad and replaced with Limbsaver, did it improve recoil absorption by a lot compared to the original...is that what you are saying? If so, I wonder how the rubber design/pads are so different. Anyway,thank you.

DHSGMAN
09-27-2011, 11:07
I called Limbsaver and they said that Mossberg is using several manufacturers to make the same regular 930 SPX stock. Some will have both holes line up, some will have to drill and suffer my same fate. They basically told me that I would have to modify the plastic adapter with a Dremel tool to remove any extra material. Not really what I wanted to hear but it's not like it's a Ferrari so I'll live with it.

DHSGMAN
09-27-2011, 11:12
Sorry, I am a little confused: Those of you who put the Limbsaver on your 930 SPX, did your gun already have a recoil pad on it (like that shown in the photo in this thread) and the original pad was not effective, or did the shotgun come without any recoil pad and you added a Limbsaver? I thought that the 930 SPX came with a rubber recoil pad already installed like the one shown in the photo.

If you swapped out from an original pad and replaced with Limbsaver, did it improve recoil absorption by a lot compared to the original...is that what you are saying? If so, I wonder how the rubber design/pads are so different. Anyway,thank you.

The original pad is very effective. This is just a matter of trying to alleviate bruised shoulders and or ego's. Since I opened my pie hole I went out and bought one, I haven't shot it yet so I do not know if it is worth the $40.00 for the Limbsaver. Like anything, if you want it, buy it. But I will add the Limbsaver rubber is a much, much better material than the factory stock.

Half Loaded
09-28-2011, 05:35
The original pad is very effective. This is just a matter of trying to alleviate bruised shoulders and or ego's. Since I opened my pie hole I went out and bought one, I haven't shot it yet so I do not know if it is worth the $40.00 for the Limbsaver. Like anything, if you want it, buy it. But I will add the Limbsaver rubber is a much, much better material than the factory stock.

It would be very interesting to hear from anyone who has compared the Limbsaver to the original factory pad on the 930 SPX--hope you share your impressions back in this thread. Thanks.

coastal4974
10-03-2011, 13:18
I went to the range today to try out the Limbsaver. I had both the OEM and the Limbsaver with me and went from the LS to OEM and back to the LS.

I did feel that the LS was better, less felt recoil than the OEM but I did not think it was significant. Iíll keep the LS on my SPX because I do think itís a bit better but if you donít have one, running out to get one might not be a high priority for the SPX.

As for the 10200 fitting, mine came with an adapter plate that lines up with the holes in the stock as well as the holes in the LS. I understand that not everyone is receiving this adapter plate for what ever reason. Without this plate the LS will not fit the (non pistol grip) SPX without altering it.

I'll give it 3.5 stars out of 5. I would give it 4 if it were not for the fitting issues and the hit or miss if you get the adapter plate. Of course if I didn't get the plate I would onyl give it a 2 :supergrin:

YMMV