Swaging LC brass, who seperates? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Swaging LC brass, who seperates?

Hogpauls
10-30-2010, 12:14
I've heard some people seperate LC brass by year before swaging due to varying thickness in the web. How much difference can .001 to .002" thickness really be when swaging? Do you seperate or not? I'll be using the RCBS swaging combo, can't afford the Dillon and don't have enough do to to warrant having one.

PCJim
10-30-2010, 13:26
I use the Dillon and no not separate any of my brass. It may not be the correct way, but it works.

WiskyT
10-30-2010, 13:47
I don't know what year of manufacturer would have to do with it. It's not like they change the brass every January. If there is any difference, they could occur at any time during the same year. I never swaged a primer pocket, so I can't help you there.

You can weigh your brass after sizing and trimming to help keep it uniform in terms of internal dimensions.

dudel
10-31-2010, 06:11
I've heard some people seperate LC brass by year before swaging due to varying thickness in the web. How much difference can .001 to .002" thickness really be when swaging? Do you seperate or not? I'll be using the RCBS swaging combo, can't afford the Dillon and don't have enough do to to warrant having one.

I separate LC brass by NATO vs Non-NATO due to case capacity; but I don't separate to swage.

I haven't found a reason to further segregate by year (yet).

On 223 brass, I switch between the RCBS swaging combo and a chamfer tool. Lately I've been using the chamfer tool more. I get tired of the swage rod hitting the 223 case mouth. On 223 in particular it's a close fit.

buyobuyo
10-31-2010, 07:57
I do my brass prep in mass, so it's easiest to wait until I'm finished to sort.

Hoser
10-31-2010, 10:18
I have processed (turned into 300 Whisper/Blackout) about 55-60,000 pcs of Lake City and various flavors of 223/5.56 brass over the last year. I set up my 1050 to swage out the crimps on a LC02 case way back when and I have left it alone. It runs just fine.

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 10:27
I'm surprised Hozer found time to post... figured he'd be busy preparing his costume so he could go out with the rest of the kids Trick or Treating tonight.

They're gonna make him carry a flashlight and not cross any streets.

Jack

Hoser
10-31-2010, 18:03
I'm surprised Hozer found time to post... figured he'd be busy preparing his costume so he could go out with the rest of the kids Trick or Treating tonight.

They're gonna make him carry a flashlight and not cross any streets.

Back off old man... I am on a sugar high that could make a Elephants heart explode. I could run to your house and break your hip.

shotgunred
10-31-2010, 18:25
I don't sort my 223 brass. It isn't like I am shooting high power matches. I plink with it. If it groups well at 100 yards I am happy.

GLShooter
11-03-2010, 14:29
I never sort my LC by year. It all goes in the same bucket and seems to swage/shoot the same. Same with WCC that I get a bunch of a times.

Greg