active military and mi cpl [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : active military and mi cpl

joeirish
10-30-2010, 19:12
hi all. maybe you could give me some info.
my son is currently at ft. benning. basic training.
he was wondering if active military personal
are exempt from having to get a mi. cpl license
for when he comes home on leaves and such.
any help would be appre.
thanks again

ancient_serpent
10-30-2010, 20:29
Is a mi. cpl license a drivers license?
If so, then if he plans on being able to drive while in the military, he will need it.

Glocks&Ducs
10-30-2010, 20:33
I'm not really sure what your actual question is, but...

There is no place that allows special laws for military personnel unless they are in performance of their duties.

So, if you question is whether he can carry concealed, without a license, just because he is in the military, the answer is no.

If you are asking if he can automatically get a concealed license because he is in the military, the answer is still no. He may be exempted from certain portions of any test that might be required, in order to get the license, but I don't know of any state that just hands stuff out to active duty military.

Glocks&Ducs
10-30-2010, 20:34
Is a mi. cpl license as drivers license?
If so, then if he plans on being able to drive while in the military, he will need it.

I guess that should have been my first question. What is a cpl?

Jeff82
10-30-2010, 20:56
What G&D said. (The first time!)

The Maggy
10-31-2010, 20:35
if by CPL you mean a Concealed Pistol License; he has to take the tests, attend the classes, and fill out the paper work like everyone else.

metrogruntual
11-01-2010, 03:20
is he infantry?

if so, i recommend he not ccw for the next few years

even possessing a pistol will be a liability in the near future

JBarbaresi
11-01-2010, 07:13
is he infantry?

if so, i recommend he not ccw for the next few years

even possessing a pistol will be a liability in the near future

this statement is a little ignorant and out of line.

to the OP, we need to know what your exact question is and where his home will be while on leave. all states and many counties within a state have different laws.

edit: is "mi. cpl" a michigan concealed pistol license?

metrogruntual
11-03-2010, 01:33
this statement is a little ignorant and out of line...

i'm surprised that you feel this way, perhaps you can share answers to the following:

how much personal space does a new 11B have?

what do 11Bs enjoy on vacation and/or during time off?

when PCSing OCONUS, what happens to personal firearms?

dennishix
11-03-2010, 02:40
Well lets see, it won't matter if he lives in Goverment quarters Barracks/Housing (POW's) Personaly Owned Weapons are prohibited in Billets. If the Soldier lives off post then State Laws apply. Soldiers enjoy many of the same things that everyone else does.
What does INFANTRY have to do with this?
What Liability will a Soldier have?

HoldHard
11-03-2010, 08:46
edit: is "mi. cpl" a michigan concealed pistol license?Yes.

This is a link to the Michigan CPL requirements from the state website:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

It contains these references to Active Duty:

3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application. An applicant is a state resident if one of the following applies:

The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or state identification card
The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan
The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the home of record
The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the home of record is another state

It appears that he will meet the resident requirements but still has to meet the additional requirements for training and certification. Those are outlined in Section A and list an additional 18 items. He must also meet the 9 points in section B which include this reference to military service:

6. Not be discharged from the United States Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions

Hope this helps and please pass along a huge "thank you" to your son for his service from this resident of the Mitten state.....

HH

JBarbaresi
11-03-2010, 12:18
i'm surprised that you feel this way, perhaps you can share answers to the following:

how much personal space does a new 11B have?

what do 11Bs enjoy on vacation and/or during time off?

when PCSing OCONUS, what happens to personal firearms?

none of the questions you just asked have anything to do with being an 11B specifically, and your original comment made it seem as if he is 11B he will be mentally unstable and incapable of being trusted with a firearm. If that was not your intent I apologize for my misunderstanding. if that was not your intent with your original comment, here are my answers to your questions you have just asked...

i would assume an 11B has about as much personal space as any new soldier in any MOS, and if he is old enough to own a firearm he will be allowed to store it in the arms room like anyone else. i don't understand your reason for asking this because the original question from the OP was about ccw while home in MI for vacation.

i can't speak for all 11Bs as to what they enjoy doing on vacation and/or time off, and quite frankly don't really understand how this has anything to do with the OPs question or with your statement about not to ccw for a few years or possessing a firearm being a liability.

i have never pcs'd oconus so i am not exactly sure about personal firearms, but what would lead you to believe his son would PCS oconus just because he is 11B and again what does this have to do with the OPs question about a MI cpl?

metrogruntual
11-04-2010, 02:43
...here are my answers...

(1) i would assume...

(2) i can't speak...

(3) i have never pcs'd oconus...

my perspective is based largely upon experience as an 11b at benning, bragg, lewis, casey and schofield

hopefully the OP will keep us updated

dennishix
11-04-2010, 02:51
my perspective is based largely upon experience as an 11b at benning, bragg, lewis, casey and schofield

hopefully the OP will keep us updated

Well then based upon your experience why did you make th earlier comments?

Kegs
11-04-2010, 05:42
How ridiculous these threads become at times.

What does serving in the infantry have to do with concealing a pistol becoming a liability?

BTW, there is a loophole in the law concerning sworn peace officers being able to carry concealed, but I am not sure if military police are included in that or not.

The entire law is available on-line by using a search.

floored
11-04-2010, 09:13
How ridiculous these threads become at times.

What does serving in the infantry have to do with concealing a pistol becoming a liability?

BTW, there is a loophole in the law concerning sworn peace officers being able to carry concealed, but I am not sure if military police are included in that or not.

The entire law is available on-line by using a search.

for what state(s) ?

metrogruntual
11-06-2010, 06:32
what i learned from this thread:

the insatiable curiosity of POGs

o.0

JBarbaresi
11-06-2010, 06:56
what i learned from this thread:

the insatiable curiosity of POGs

o.0

who are you saying is a POG my friend? i think you are a little confused...

metrogruntual
11-06-2010, 07:10
i think you are a little confused...

i am quite often confused

that being said, i'd guess there to be a reservist, a recruiter and perhaps someone from rgr rgt in this thread and none of the above can relate to a regular army/dirty-nasty leg type first few years of the active duty 11b experience

would i still be wrong?

:dunno:

JBarbaresi
11-06-2010, 15:01

that being said, i'd guess there to be a reservist, a recruiter and perhaps someone from rgr rgt in this thread and none of the above can relate to a regular army/dirty-nasty leg type first few years of the active duty 11b experience

would i still be wrong?

the only statement you have made is that you don't recommend the OPs son CCW for at least a few years if he is 11B because possessing a firearm will be a liability. Then you posed a few very general and unrelated questions and made the comment that your perspective is based on being an 11B, but you haven't stated a perspective. You then accuse everyone of being a POG because they can not follow your logic...

No one has said they can't relate to being an 11B on active duty. I answered your questions as best I could based off my experiences as an 11B during my first few years on AD. Maybe you can tell us why you weren't allowed to keep a firearm due to limited personal space as an 11B. Maybe you can tell us what all 11B do during their leave. Maybe you can tell us what happens to personal weapons during an OCONUS PCS. Then maybe you can tell us what any of that has to do with an Active Duty Soldier's ability to CCW in Michigan without a CPL.

metrogruntual
11-09-2010, 06:21
subject to OCONUS infantry assignments before he even leaves sand hill, he'll have neither the awareness of nor the ability to navigate privately owned weapon guidelines such as:

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/regulations/190-6/190-6.htm

once at his unit it is likely he will be living in the barracks with one or more roomates and it's a good possiblity he will not have his own vehicle

between 12 month deployments, his time will be consumed with JRTC, COCs, taking college courses, NTC, drinking beer, BDE FTX, chasing girls, EIB preparation, BN FTX, being chased by single-mothers, MISC FTXs and the annual month of block leave

in addition to all this, junior enlisted pay doesn't leave much for a shooting budget

that being said, perhaps ccw back home is a GREAT IDEA

JBarbaresi
11-09-2010, 07:21
subject to OCONUS infantry assignments before he even leaves sand hill, he'll have neither the awareness of nor the ability to navigate privately owned weapon guidelines such as:

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/regulations/190-6/190-6.htm

once at his unit it is likely he will be living in the barracks with one or more roomates and it's a good possiblity he will not have his own vehicle

between 12 month deployments, his time will be consumed with JRTC, COCs, taking college courses, NTC, drinking beer, BDE FTX, chasing girls, EIB preparation, BN FTX, being chased by single-mothers, MISC FTXs and the annual month of block leave

in addition to all this, junior enlisted pay doesn't leave much for a shooting budget

that being said, perhaps ccw back home is a GREAT IDEA

these are all valid points/concerns. however, we don't even know if he is an 11B, let alone if he is getting an OCONUS assignment off the bat. I still don't understand what having a vehicle has anything to do with this conversations. finally, if he is in fact an 11B, he will be extremely busy doing most of the things you mentioned, however he will still get 30 days of leave every year just like everyone else.

edit:this conversation is going nowhere so I'm done adding input unless the OP has any more questions. hopefully his original issue has already been resolved.

metrogruntual
11-09-2010, 07:26
edit:this conversation is going nowhere

i've added a few ingredients to the weaksauce

:supergrin:

dennishix
11-13-2010, 08:04

would i still be wrong?

Yet you still don't answer the questions! :whistling:

So you are the High Speed LOW Dragg SME that can answer all the questions about being a linedog Eh?:rofl:
Geeze answer the questions! I have uniforms in my closet with more time in the field than you have time in service!

nothing you have said has answered the OP questions. So how about knocking off the supperior attitude and giving some answers:dunno:

metrogruntual
11-17-2010, 00:21
(1)...High Speed LOW Dragg SME

(2) I have uniforms in my closet with more time in the field than you have time in service!

(3) nothing you have said has answered the OP questions.

(4) So how about knocking off the supperior attitude and giving some answers

1. i saw no other recent 11b01s

2. this likely goes for the moustache as well

3. not definitively since, it's based on my assumption that sand hill = infantry

4. you're likely a better soldier than i will ever be and that would make you 'superior'

The Maggy
11-17-2010, 00:44

3. not definitively since, it's based on my assumption that sand hill = infantry

4. you're likely a better soldier than i will ever be and that would make you 'superior'

:wavey: 11B20 2004-2009

dennishix
11-17-2010, 01:23

So you still haven't answered the question and that in itself is an answer so this back in forth is a waste of time.

metrogruntual
11-17-2010, 02:15
:wavey: 11B20 2004-2009

would you recommend one fresh from sand hill ccw?

The Maggy
11-17-2010, 03:38

I can't think of a reason as to why he shouldn't. His father stated that it would be for when he is home on leave and pass. If the joe decides to take his handgun back down to where ever he is stationed, that takes it into a different scenario.

What would be your issue with a joe legally carrying a pistol while he is home on leave?

dennishix
11-17-2010, 03:49

Well lets see we don't know how old this troop is, maybe he grew up around firearms, maybe his dad has had him shooting since he could walk, there are alot of maybes out there. Uncle Sam is also trusting this Soldier to carry an assualt rifle, Machine gun, Grnades and assorted other stuff that goes BOOM. So its a case by case issue.

Let see you still didnít answer the answer the question, but letís examine the OPís RFI.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
The OP asked if AD Military are exempt from having a MI. Concelaed Pistol License, That would be answered by someone who actually knows the laws for that state and the question had nothing to do with having a weapon on base storing it or going OCONUS.
You asked if he was Infantry which has nothing to do with qualifying an answer, you also offered up you opinion on liability another non qualifying opinion.
Now in all fairness if he is an initial entry Soldier then he will be briefed on Privately owned weapons and unit policies till he is sick of hearing about it, his leadership will tell him what is and what is not allowed in the Barracks, base.
His father asked about what it effected back home while on leave and pass, well while you are on leave and pass as long as you do not violate state laws and regulations then he can apply for any permits or licenses he is qualified for regardless of his MOS or Post.
Your origanal post seemd to say that 11B's can't be trusted and thats what I read when I saw it.
While I have been an 11 series for over 33 years I do know some that I wouldn't trust with a rubber toothpick I have to have faith in an individuals ability till the step on it.

metrogruntual
11-17-2010, 05:11
since it's highly unlikely that

both of you are smoking crack

at the same time...responding to this

it must be me

despite my last 5 years being infantry

guess, i'm a bit disconnected...

o.0

dennishix
11-17-2010, 05:38
since it's highly unlikely that

both of you are smoking crack

at the same time...responding to this

it must be me

despite my last 5 years being infantry

guess, i'm a bit disconnected...

o.0

5 whole years eh? WOW
Well you answered a question that I hadn't asked. Your opinion holds no water, thanks for clearing that up for me. I certainly hope you become wiser over the years or you troops will get bad info, Good luck with that whole assuming thing.

metrogruntual
11-17-2010, 06:21
...Your opinion holds no water...

well put CSM!

The Maggy
11-17-2010, 16:13
well put CSM!

I would agree with you if we were talking about someone that just came back from Iraq or Afghanistan, people need a little bit of time to calm down and return to normal before they start walking around town with a weapon on their side. I do agree that trying to bring a weapon to a new duty station were a new soldier will be living on post can be a hassel and it is probably better if they wait before they start that process so they know the ropes on post and they have had the chance to sit down with their team leader or squad leader and they have a full understanding about what will happen when they do bring a POW on post.

All of that being said, the OP specified for when he is home on leave and said nothing about taking the weapon to a duty station.

metrogruntual
11-17-2010, 21:24
...said nothing about taking the weapon to a duty station.

yeah, i went all "sua sponte" from there~

:embarassed: