Freakshow10mm Was Spot on.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Freakshow10mm Was Spot on..

EL_NinO619
10-30-2010, 23:45
Ramshoot Tac is one hell of a powder. It meters well, Nearly fills the case. Super accurate, cycles well (except for when your brother uses the MAG as a mono-pod) and burns fairly clean too. If any one is in the market for a good .223 powder, have no fear. Thanks Freak:cheers: . I can't wait to test some .308 with it..:50cal:

WiskyT
10-31-2010, 05:59
What's wrong with using the mag as a monopod? Millions of GI's do it and Larry Vickers recommends it.

Bello
10-31-2010, 06:59
maybe he means his brother cant get it to feed reliably because hes limping it when using it as a monopod and it jerks and kicks

wanderinwalker
10-31-2010, 07:38
Ramshoot Tac is one hell of a powder. It meters well, Nearly fills the case. Super accurate, cycles well (except for when your brother uses the MAG as a mono-pod) and burns fairly clean too. If any one is in the market for a good .223 powder, have no fear. Thanks Freak:cheers: . I can't wait to test some .308 with it..:50cal:

If you would, what kind of bullets are you throwing with it in .223? One of the local gunshops have the Ramshot line of powder and the owner keeps suggesting I try TAC as he knows I shoot Highpower. But I don't know anybody who uses it (half of us use Varget, half RL-15 and the other guys use a mix of AA 2520 and the other guys use AA 2520 and the 4895s).

WiskyT
10-31-2010, 08:01
maybe he means his brother cant get it to feed reliably because hes limping it when using it as a monopod and it jerks and kicks

Are you saying his brother would have a hard time cutting it in Jersey City...

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 09:05
If you would, what kind of bullets are you throwing with it in .223? One of the local gunshops have the Ramshot line of powder and the owner keeps suggesting I try TAC as he knows I shoot Highpower. But I don't know anybody who uses it (half of us use Varget, half RL-15 and the other guys use a mix of AA 2520 and the other guys use AA 2520 and the 4895s).

We're using 24.5gr of TAC under a 55gr FMJBT Hornady. Nice little plinking round. We're shooting them in 1:7 and 1:9 AR's. It really does shoot nice and meters great.

Zombie Steve
10-31-2010, 10:53
:weirdthread:

EL_NinO619
10-31-2010, 11:19
:weirdthread:
I am just letting people know TAC is a good powder. And if you use your Mag as a rest for your gun you will have feeding problems

shotgunred
10-31-2010, 11:27
yes and not so much.

Zombie Steve
10-31-2010, 11:40
Sorry. Reading comprehension issues today. I blame Irish Whiskey from last night's costume party.

Uncle Don
10-31-2010, 12:02
I blame Irish Whiskey from last night's costume party.

Did you go as a Leprechaun?

WiskyT
10-31-2010, 12:09
And if you use your Mag as a rest for your gun you will have feeding problems

Not if your gun and mags work right, I ASSume we are talking about the AR15? I can't tell you how many times I've seen various TV shows where they were blazing away like that. I've seen Larry Vickers himself specifically recommend it on Tactical Arms. I've spoken to guys who were issued the M16 and they did it with no problems and I've done it myself.

Zombie Steve
10-31-2010, 12:26
Did you go as a Leprechaun?

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/IMG00163-20101030-2025.jpg

Mayhap it was corn likker.

EL_NinO619
10-31-2010, 12:26
What's wrong with using the mag as a monopod? Millions of GI's do it and Larry Vickers recommends it.

I don't agree with Larry. GI's might do it because the field motto "whatever works" But it is well known that it can cause feeding issue. It wont do it all the time, but why risk it. Plus i saw it first hand yesterday, I tell my brother "don't use the mag as a rest" He ignores me and continues to do it. Then Jam, one of the worst i have experienced. Took a lot of force to extract the round. Off Topic: Cleaned all my firearms thoroughly yesterday, and decided i needed a little air compressor to blow out the oil and gunk from hard to reach areas.Went to Home Depot to grab one, on sale $99:supergrin:. Man do my guns look brand new.:shower: Any one need a good cleaning send them my way, I think i might be the only person who enjoys cleaning guns..:dunno:

sdelam
10-31-2010, 12:36
All my malfuntions where the bolt has been hard to open on an AR have been the result of buckled shoulders on the cases. I use an X-Die and if the case is too long it will buckle the shoulders ever so slightly.

I do .223 case prep in large batches over several days and sometimes I think my kids "help" by moving cases from one bucket to the other for me. They just seem to forget that little step between called trimming.

sdelam
10-31-2010, 12:43
Oh and I'm a fan of TAC as well, wish I'd bought more when it was cheap.

Not that I'd have any more left over if I had.....

EL_NinO619
10-31-2010, 13:03
Oh and I'm a fan of TAC as well, wish I'd bought more when it was cheap.

Not that I'd have any more left over if I had.....

I like your Profile pic. Is that your pup? My uncle has a bird dog and i think it is the most well trained dog i have ever seen.

WiskyT
10-31-2010, 13:04
I don't agree with Larry. GI's might do it because the field motto "whatever works" But it is well known that it can cause feeding issue. It wont do it all the time, but why risk it. Plus i saw it first hand yesterday, I tell my brother "don't use the mag as a rest" He ignores me and continues to do it. Then Jam, one of the worst i have experienced. Took a lot of force to extract the round. Off Topic: Cleaned all my firearms thoroughly yesterday, and decided i needed a little air compressor to blow out the oil and gunk from hard to reach areas.Went to Home Depot to grab one, on sale $99:supergrin:. Man do my guns look brand new.:shower: Any one need a good cleaning send them my way, I think i might be the only person who enjoys cleaning guns..:dunno:

Okay, well the US Army and the USMC have investigated this thoroughly and determined that shooting with the mag on the ground is the proper way to shoot an M16 and their troops are specifically trained to do this since about 2005.

I have used mags that I got cheap back when everything was "banned" that were IDF surplus. The baseplates are safety wired onto the mag body because the corners of the mag were worn off from being used as monopods. Can you imagine how much a mag has to be used as a monopod for the corners of the mag body to be worn off? They still work great as "magpods". So the US military and the IDF, the two greatest fighting forces on the planet Earth do it and call it "correct".

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 13:12
I rest the hand guard on my butler's shoulder... keeps me from having to lay on the ground, plus he works better than having to wear that heavy body armor.

Jack

Bello
10-31-2010, 14:42
Are you saying his brother would have a hard time cutting it in Jersey City...

damn you did catch my innuendo! :tongueout:

sdelam
10-31-2010, 14:44
I like your Profile pic. Is that your pup? My uncle has a bird dog and i think it is the most well trained dog i have ever seen.

yea thats my Larry, he's two now.

It was an exciting day of goose hunting, can't you till by how worked up he is.

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 14:52
yea thats my Larry, he's two now.

It was an exciting day of goose hunting, can't you till by how worked up he is.

Larry... you named your dog Larry? I shudder to think what your kids are named. :shocked:

Jack

sdelam
10-31-2010, 15:50
Actually, its Scott's super larry boy, but he answers to Larry.

My last dog was Amber, everytime we went to a public hunting area there was at least one if not more Ambers there. So far he's the only other larry I have run into.

Dont worry, my wife named the kids.

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 15:52
Actually, its Scott's super larry boy, but he answers to Larry.

Dont worry, my wife named the kids.

:thumbsup: :supergrin:

Jack

sig2009
11-01-2010, 16:56
I am just letting people know TAC is a good powder. And if you use your Mag as a rest for your gun you will have feeding problems

If you have a problem using your mag as a rest for your gun regarding feeding problems you need to buy a different gun!

EL_NinO619
11-01-2010, 17:26
Turn of KPBS and watch Magpul Dynamics, Art of the tactical carbine.

WiskyT
11-01-2010, 17:46
Turn of KPBS and watch Magpul Dynamics, Art of the tactical carbine.

Magpul specifically makes mags to be used as monopods. Are you saying that they tell people not to do it and then sell them a mag made for it?

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 18:24
I haven't seen the Magpul Carbine Dymanics as El Nino has my copy:supergrin:
I'm watching the pistol one right now. They make some awesome videos.

I will tell you that may AR is still new. A little over 500 rounds through it. So it does still jam on occasion.

But of the 150 rounds shot through it on Sat, only one jammed and it was El Nino's brother using the mag as a monopod. It was actually on the first shot. The bolt was back and he used the release button on the side of the rifle to chamber a round. He was resting the gun on the mag when it happened.

It was kind of funny. About 3 minutes before it happened I heard El Nino telling him not to use the mag as a monopod. His brother shrugged off the warning, and 3 minutes later, it jammed.

EL_NinO619
11-01-2010, 18:56
Magpul specifically makes mags to be used as monopods. Are you saying that they tell people not to do it and then sell them a mag made for it?

Keyword when i first posted was " it can cause feeding problem" Can you do it. Yes. Will it Jam probably not, can it jam. Yes. Just as you can mix powders and dont always get a KB, but i will try to avoid that situation. So when possible i will not use mag as monopod. That's all i am saying.

And please tell me where Magpul tells you to use the mag as a monopod?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG211/3

WiskyT
11-01-2010, 19:18
Keyword when i first posted was " it can cause feeding problem" Can you do it. Yes. Will it Jam probably not, can it jam. Yes. Just as you can mix powders and dont always get a KB, but i will try to avoid that situation. So when possible i will not use mag as monopod. That's all i am saying.

And please tell me where Magpul tells you to use the mag as a monopod?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG211/3

I got this basepas for PMags confused with being a Magpul product:

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/47507-ar-15-m16-pmag-monopod-base-pad-monopod-base-pad-arredondo.html

As for your gun jamming, it's a gun or a mag problem. If my car idols rough and misses when it's raining and humid, should I change the plug wires or not drive it in the rain?

dudel
11-02-2010, 02:21
I looked at TAC early on. Good metering qualities. However, distributor (it a Belgium powder) recommends the powder for heavy (65gr and up) .223 projectiles in barrels with a fast twist. I generally shoot 55gr projectiles, so I moved TAC further back on the selection list.

Varget works super well for me (55gr in a 1:9 twist). Fills the case, meters well in the Dillon, clean, temperature insensitive, and easy to find in this area. I've gotten my lowest ES and SD with Varget.

EL_NinO619
11-02-2010, 12:15
I looked at TAC early on. Good metering qualities. However, distributor (it a Belgium powder) recommends the powder for heavy (65gr and up) .223 projectiles in barrels with a fast twist. I generally shoot 55gr projectiles, so I moved TAC further back on the selection list.

Varget works super well for me (55gr in a 1:9 twist). Fills the case, meters well in the Dillon, clean, temperature insensitive, and easy to find in this area. I've gotten my lowest ES and SD with Varget.

We also use Varget with great results. As for .223 powder its going to be TAC or Varget for sure..

ursoboostd
11-02-2010, 15:26
Gettin ready to load up 500 more rds of 223 on my 650 with some Tac right now. :)

EL_NinO619
11-02-2010, 15:40
Gettin ready to load up 500 more rds of 223 on my 650 with some Tac right now. :)

Get'er Done..:tongueout:

ursoboostd
11-02-2010, 20:25
Get'er Done..:tongueout:
It's done! :tongueout: Along with 50 rounds of .308 w/ Varget and Lapua brass. -Wade-

EL_NinO619
11-02-2010, 21:08
It's done! :tongueout: Along with 50 rounds of .308 w/ Varget and Lapua brass. -Wade-

You load you .308 on the 650. I do mine on SS but i am very interested on the accuracy you can achieve on a progressive. Such as consistent OAL powder charges etc.

ursoboostd
11-03-2010, 04:25
You load you .308 on the 650. I do mine on SS but i am very interested on the accuracy you can achieve on a progressive. Such as consistent OAL powder charges etc.
No. I do it single stage on my LCT. I throw a charge around 42.5gr and trickle the rest. -Wade-