Good grief, I'm turning into a wussie! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good grief, I'm turning into a wussie!

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 16:23
After over 45 years of casting indoors with nothing more than an open window in front of the furnace and a fan on the bench behind me I have finally joined the world of advanced technology... kinda.

Since the Federal Stimulus Package didn't kick in quite as quick as we were led to believe and subsequently no one is building any houses in the mountains of Colorado my daughter and SIL lost there construction business... and in turn their home... along with the acreage I had given them to build it on. Oh well, part of life I guess... things could be worse.

Over the last couple of months they have been remolding the lower level and have pretty much turned it into a Parade of Homes. (I am demanding a sound proof wall be installed at the top of the stairs so their presence doesn't hinder my sex filled single lifestyle. :whistling:)

The one problem I had to deal with is my constant propensity to cast indoors and what, if any effect it would have on the new inhabitants. I have two fairly young grandchildren, 8 and 10 who I really wasn't all that worried about but my daughter has a severe heart problem, (controlled with medication... thank you God) and a severe case of rheumatoid arthritis which she apparently inherited from her daddy. There had to be a way to keep any smoke or odor out of the house while casting, although neither of which ever made their way to the lower level.

Being the highly trained investigator that I am I set about to find the solution... this did the trick.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4360.jpg?1288563072

That puppy will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, not an atom of smoke escapes past the sides of the pot before being whisked up and away. Testing consisted of melting oily wheel weights and fluxing with a giant ball of bullet lube without lighting it. The air immediately surrounding the furnace is as pure as what is being pumped through my oxygen hose.

Yes, yes, I know, I still haven't learned how to take a photo. I should have closed the blinds. Fine... sue me.

The hood, which is nothing more than a stainless steel, high output kitchen range exhaust hood is vented through the ceiling then through the roof with a weather cap on the pipe. The two lights turned out to work very well since they shine down directly onto the furnace... but yet do not glare into the flat panel screen. (Need I point out that all my moves are carefully planned well in advance?)
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4362.jpg?1288561732

So, my problem is solved and during the upcoming winter months I will be squirreled away in my man cave casting lead pellets of steel clanging perfection.

Jack

WiskyT
10-31-2010, 16:27
Why do I get the feeling that somewhere in a bar in Colorado, a gambling debt was settled with the transfer of ownership of that range hood?

Bello
10-31-2010, 18:25
why vent all the way to the roof instead of straight out the back? unless you had a line there first?! more cost effective to go out the back, then again im an electrician and i look at everything its gonna be the death of me

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 18:46
The outside wall is red brick, would have been a lot more difficult than going straight up through the room plus going straight back would have put the vent just above and next to the window. Even a slight breeze would have blown the smoke back in.

What's this 'cost effective' thing you speak of... why the hell do you think I have a son-in-law?

Jack

WiskyT
10-31-2010, 19:07
You are tuning into a wussie. Now it's a window, before it used to be a firing position.

Bello
10-31-2010, 19:25
What's this 'cost effective' thing you speak of... why the hell do you think I have a son-in-law?

Jack

its just a thing with me my wife hates it i point out everything any place i go

p.s. jack in one of your other posts i had seen you wrote nono i assume you were referring to the italian language as grandfather but you missed an n so its nonno. justa quick fyi

as long as your sil knows what hes doing that could be an unobjectable point to being cost effective

GioaJack
10-31-2010, 19:44
its just a thing with me my wife hates it i point out everything any place i go

p.s. jack in one of your other posts i had seen you wrote nono i assume you were referring to the italian language as grandfather but you missed an n so its nonno. justa quick fyi

as long as your sil knows what hes doing that could be an unobjectable point to being cost effective

HA, young'un! Apparently you haven't been walking the earth long enough to realize that there are several Italian dialects with completely different spelled words with common usage.

As an example: nonno and nono both mean grandfather depending on the part of the country, including Sicily, and the dialect. The same is true with nana and nonna... grandmother.

I grew up in an Italian speaking family, it wasn't until my sister was in her late thirties and started traveling to Italy on business that she learned that our Sicilian dialect left her unable to speak with people in Florence. Left her a bit flustered but the transition was fairly easy for her.

Gioachino Rossini, (the famous composer) was born in Pesaro, a town on the Adriatic sea. His first name is spelled with one 'C'. Although our names are the same the Sicilian spelling has two 'C's'. (I'm actually more famous than he is.)

Jack - Gioacchino - Nono

PCJim
10-31-2010, 21:41
Y'all overthink everything. Isn't that a window there? Can we say, "window fan"? Guess I really look for the easy way.....

srd
11-01-2010, 05:53
Hey Jack i hope that fan came with a remote. Thats the same on i have in my kitchen and the knobs are on the front.

Zombie Steve
11-01-2010, 13:16
Good grief, I'm turning into a wussie!

The first step is always admitting it. Good for you, Jack.

GioaJack
11-01-2010, 13:30
Hey Jack i hope that fan came with a remote. Thats the same on i have in my kitchen and the knobs are on the front.

I can't stretch far enough to reach the buttons and I ain't climbing on a stool so I jab at 'em with a stick.

The way I'm shrinking every year I may be shootin' at 'em pretty soon. :crying:

Jack

GioaJack
11-01-2010, 13:32
The first step is always admitting it. Good for you, Jack.

The kids want me to go into rehab but I can't stand the thought of being known as a quitter. :whistling:

Jack

32dgrz
11-01-2010, 16:14
http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/43285/2906083810085790428S600x600Q85.jpg

We could all chip in for the shirt if it would help