Accuracy of FMJ vs JHP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of FMJ vs JHP

jsdintexas
10-31-2010, 18:02
I would like to know if a bullet in FMJ is as accurate as the very same bullet in JHP? I am not talking about whether they are similar in fps, lbs of energy and so on, just accuracy. The specific round I want to buy is 230gr .45
The reason for the question is, I would like to buy bulk and I would like to buy one or the other for target, plinking, competition for fun, and personal defense. So I was considering JHP for all this. But I don't want to lose accuracy in my competition shooting if there is a really big difference.

Berto
10-31-2010, 20:11
Most jhp loads are held to higher standard of consistency since they are marketed as defense loads and usually more expensive, so ( in my experience at least) they tend to be a little more accurate. Many FMJ loads are more marketed as plinking or practice ammo and not up to the same level of consistency, thus lower cost.
The bullets alone, assuming similar quality control will be the same in accuracy...it's just jhp ammo is generally more consistent overall.
I'd choose whatever best buy I could get on domestic generic jhps's like Rem Express, Blazer or WWB 230gr jhps for your needs.

Jim Watson
10-31-2010, 20:59
There are few FMJs that average as accurate as JHP for whatever reason.
The best I ever shot was the (discontinued) Nosler 115 gr 9mm FMJ.

Most match bullets are made with open points so the jacket is smooth across the base of the bullet, some are real hollowpoints or softpoints, some are just made that way with no thinning or grooving of the jacket to promote expansion.

fredj338
10-31-2010, 22:13
It depends. Some FMJ will be more accurate than others. I would not expect match grade accuracy from WWB or Wolf, but Hornady, maybe. Most FMJ have an exposed base that can be a bit less even than most JHP w/ enclosed base. JHP for serious work & any cheap FMJ for practice & match. Unless you & your gun are capable of 1 1/2" groups OR BETTER @ 15yds w/ good ammo, you aren't likey to notice any real diff.

jsdintexas
11-01-2010, 10:45
Thanks to all for your replies, very helpful.

JBP55
11-01-2010, 11:13
Everything else being the same but the bullet the JHP will be more accurate than a FMJ.