Marking Cases? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marking Cases?

mike6252
10-31-2010, 18:10
Hey guys, I would like to put some kind of mark on my cases/primers so when I find um' in the grass a few days later I'll know how many times they've been loaded but I need some ideas. I thought of coloring the primers with a marker but that won't last. Does anyone have any ideas? Thx guys

shotgunred
10-31-2010, 18:15
How many times they have been fired doesn't mean anything. A case could split the first time it was used or the twentieth. You have to inspect your cases. I mark mine but to make it easier to sort them by owner at IDPA shoots.

ron59
10-31-2010, 20:53
Marking cases (at least for pistol) is a bit of waste of time, IMHO.

Unless you're loading on the VERY TOP END of the spectrum... just load it and shoot it until it splits.

Boxerglocker
10-31-2010, 21:09
Marking cases (at least for pistol) is a bit of waste of time, IMHO.

Unless you're loading on the VERY TOP END of the spectrum... just load it and shoot it until it splits.

I tend to agree.

I keep aside sorted known "once fire" speer and federal cases separated for full power SD simulation loads for 9mm and once loaded and fired they go in the normal brass pile for continued loading.
I simply sharpie mark my reloads as I'm doing primer seating checks and call it good after that. My 9mm brass supply is endless from my local range and even if I had to buy it is cheap so I don't sweat it.

albyihat
11-01-2010, 21:25
I'm with boxer on this, I keep some brass aside that I know has only been once fired for full house loads. It then goes into a 5gal bucket for IDPA and gets marked with a sharpie so I know it's mine at the comp.

robin303
11-01-2010, 22:06
Hey guys, I would like to put some kind of mark on my cases/primers so when I find um' in the grass a few days later I'll know how many times they've been loaded but I need some ideas. I thought of coloring the primers with a marker but that won't last. Does anyone have any ideas? Thx guys

:agree: What they said.

meleors
11-02-2010, 06:32
I'm with boxer on this, I keep some brass aside that I know has only been once fired for full house loads. It then goes into a 5gal bucket for IDPA and gets marked with a sharpie so I know it's mine at the comp.

Since everyone marks their cases, leave yours unmarked and say all the unmarked are yours. :supergrin:

GioaJack
11-02-2010, 09:14
You're supposed to load the cases more than once? Huh... who knew. :dunno:

Jack

Dogue
11-02-2010, 13:08
I use a paint pen to mark the bases of my brass. For pistol it's just to differentiate mine from everyone else's, and for rifle I add a new mark for each reloading.

Boxerglocker
11-02-2010, 13:35
I use a paint pen to mark the bases of my brass. For pistol it's just to differentiate mine from everyone else's, and for rifle I add a new mark for each reloading.

I used to use a paint pen, a red one but found that after a typical shooting session of 300 rounds the paint would build up on the breach face of the gun in a circular pattern and was a pain to clean off. I didn't want the solid contents of the paint to collect and possibly get in the firing pin channel so stopped using it and when back to just plain old sharpies.

AZson
11-02-2010, 13:43
I use the extra large sharpie

MrOldLude
11-03-2010, 08:31
The only time I mark cases is when I'm testing loads. 1 line the lightest load, 5 lines is the hottest. I choose the best shooting load and make more of those. I use a sharpie.

gwalchmai
11-03-2010, 08:41
Anyone ever try a cannelure tool for this?

MrOldLude
11-03-2010, 11:09
Anyone ever try a cannelure tool for this?
Anything is possible, but my cases would begin looking pretty stupid after putting on at least 8 cannelures.

gwalchmai
11-03-2010, 11:18
Anything is possible, but my cases would begin looking pretty stupid after putting on at least 8 cannelures.:cool:

I saw a neat tool a guy made once. It was a piece of PVC pipe with a series of holes just big enough to fit a fine point Sharpie in. It allowed him to spin the case and draw a nice ring around it. Subsequent rings could then be spaced about 1/16" apart. Too bad Sharpie marks won't survive a long tumble.