XP machines with network problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP machines with network problems

DonMcnut
11-01-2010, 10:36
I have about 10 systems at my office running a client/server SQL software, all machines including server are just plain old XP pro systems. For some reason 3 of the machines are experiencing some kind of bandwidth limitation both within the network (moving a file from the server to an effected client) and to the web (speedtest.net showing .95-1.2 mbps whereas all other machines getting 2.5-3 which is what we pay for.

All machines have all microsoft updates done, have zero "bugs" on updated malwarebytes and AVG scans and are behaving normally for all other intents and purposes. I also just tried a new NIC card on and and still have the same issue. I am very close to just reformatting one with a fresh windows install to see where I get.

dotsun
11-01-2010, 11:07
If you haven't already, you might try plugging one of the known good pcs into the port of a bad one and eliminate a port or cabling issue.

DonMcnut
11-01-2010, 11:18
If you haven't already, you might try plugging one of the known good pcs into the port of a bad one and eliminate a port or cabling issue.

Next thing on my list. The only "new" thing I can think of that wasn't there before the problem was an electrical storm that knocked out the power.

kc8ykd
11-01-2010, 11:49
what are your intra-network speeds on those machines?

also, make sure to double check the speed and duplex settings on those machines.

srhoades
11-01-2010, 13:30
It has to be a switch or router if it is affecting more than 1 computer. The electrical storm could have very well damaged one of the above.