G23c to 9mm conversion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G23c to 9mm conversion

old wanderer
11-01-2010, 12:05
Is there any advantage/disadvantage of installing a 9mm extractor when doing this conversion?

I am planning on using this gun in several classes where going through a case of 9mm ammo (a lot cheaper than 40sw or my 10mm ammo) in a few days in the norm. Naturally reliability is paramount here.

JR
11-01-2010, 14:28
If you plan to keep the gun as a 40 and the conversion is temporary, leave everything as is. Install the conversion barrel and use the correct magazine. You are good to go.
If you plan to use the gun extensively as a 9mm I would first try the conversion as outlined above. If it runs 100%, there is nothing gain by changing any other parts. If there is an issue you can change out the ejector & extractor but really, I do not see any advantage here either.

You need to understand the FTE issue is associated with the power of the 115 gr cartridge, not the extractor or any other part. The 115 gr ammo hardly runs in a standard 9mm pistol much less a converted 40. Compare the 9mm top end to a 40 top end and you will quickly see the difference in mass. The 40 slide and barrel has much more mass than the 9mm (which equals weight). This mass taps the weak 115 gr cartridge completely to its demise, creating the FTE.