thinking about switching from Winchester Rangers to something else [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : thinking about switching from Winchester Rangers to something else

GlockTalk9
11-01-2010, 17:47
I'm using a Glock 17 for duty use. I immediately needed duty ammo and bought both the Winchester Rangers 147gr JHP and the Golden Sabers 124gr +p. I shot both and was slightly more accurate with Winchesters. Now that I have the funds available, I am open to options. I read nothing but good reviews on Gold Speed 124gr +P and Federal Hydra-shok 135gr. I can either look for an alternative duty ammo or purchase more Winchester Rangers 147gr and keep practicing with it. Thoughts?

BOGE
11-01-2010, 18:05
Skip 147 gr. bullets & the Hydra Shok is half assed at best. Go with the Speer 124 gr. +p IMO.

granitemonkey
11-01-2010, 18:06
Gold Dot, Ranger-T, HST are the three I stick with. Those Rangers are far and away alot better than Hydra-shoks.

thegriz18
11-01-2010, 21:39
Speer 124 +P, Ranger T 124 +p or 127 +P+, 124 +P HST. You might even want to check out some Winchester PDX1 124 +P. If the 9mm Ranger Bonded line has switched over to the PDX1 bullet that would also be a good choice. Depending upon the type of duty you perform the old Fed 9BPLE, or Winchester Ranger 115JHP+P load would also be worth of consideration.

cowboy1964
11-01-2010, 22:06
My current top two are Ranger 127 +P+ and Gold Dot 124 +P. All HST, Ranger, Gold Dots are pretty good. 147gr is fine too, in longer barrels. Two advantages (for me anyway) for the Gold Dot 124 +P's are A) pretty easy to find, and B) I can use them confidently in every 9mm I have, from the 3" PM9 to the 4" G19 and Sig 229. The +P+ would probably be ok too but it IS +P+ and I'd rather err on the side of caution using them in small guns like the PM9.

happyguy
11-02-2010, 04:36
The Federal Tactical Bonded 135 grain +P have been known to work pretty well and they turn up around here in Indianapolis pretty often.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

JBP55
11-02-2010, 05:02
HST/Ranger T/Gold Dot in 124/147 all work well.

Clem Eastwood
11-02-2010, 05:02
147gr is fine too, in longer barrels.

actually, in shorter barrels the 147s lose a lesser percentage of their velocity and tend to stay in their velocity window when the lighter loads sometimes dont. this applies to barrels shorter than 3.5".

as far as 9mm loads that have proven themselves:

Please note that all of the recommended pistol loads listed below have been personally tested and vetted by Dr. Roberts. THEY ARE NOT IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE, SO ANY BULLET ON THE LIST IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE.

9mm

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

cowboy1964
11-02-2010, 08:24
actually, in shorter barrels the 147s lose a lesser percentage of their velocity and tend to stay in their velocity window when the lighter loads sometimes dont. this applies to barrels shorter than 3.5".

I realize that and have mentioned it myself before. But even if the % of loss is slightly higher I've decided I'd still like the overall higher velocity. Recoil difference is so minimal that that's not even part of the equation.

Also, I've been unimpressed with the accuracy of the 147 HSTs I've shot so far. Not sure what the problem is but the 124 +P's are better for me.

GunFighter45ACP
11-02-2010, 11:04
I prefer Ranger T 127gr +P+.

Clem Eastwood
11-02-2010, 14:12
I realize that and have mentioned it myself before. But even if the % of loss is slightly higher I've decided I'd still like the overall higher velocity. Recoil difference is so minimal that that's not even part of the equation.

Also, I've been unimpressed with the accuracy of the 147 HSTs I've shot so far. Not sure what the problem is but the 124 +P's are better for me.

I think its a very gray area. depending on the load, the barrel, the velocity it chronos, and the velocity window the load is designed to expand in when it comes to using a lighter load (even +p since many times the extra charge sometimes exit with the bullet) in a short barrel.

i havent tried the hst's yet. from the testing ive seen of them i tend to like to stick with stuff that penetrates a little deeper. ive been using the short barrel 124+p gold dots in my 3.5" barrel HK USPc since it penetrates half way between the HSTs and the regular 147/124+p gold dot.

i hear you about them all recoiling about the same. the only one that i have noticed a lower amount of recoil with is the RA9T.

fastbolt
11-02-2010, 14:20
Which of the newer "premium-type" defensive loads can you purchase at a price affordable enough to allow you to get it 1-2 case quantities so you can test-fire it for function in your gun, use it for training/practice and then put back the remaining amount for carry purpose?

Once you answer that question, I'd think it prudent to focus attention on continuing to develop and maintain a proper skillset, instead of becoming caught up in trying to determine the possible subtle nuances of any practical "performance" differences in the ammunition selection ...

That's just me, though ...

I've got at least a couple of different modern LE/defensive loads in my various retirement CCW weapons. The same ones I carried over the years as issued loads in various calibers. It just depends on what box is closest at hand when I'm loading magazines and the guns.

They've all demonstrated the necessary acceptable practical accuracy & functioning in my guns, when I'm shooting them in various demanding drills, so I use them and don't especially worry about which brand/design is in which gun/mags at any given time. I have other things to occupy my attention ... like periodic weapon maintenance (including preventive maintenance) and my skillset/mindset.

Luck to you in your decision. There are some good ones out there on the market nowadays.

cowboy1964
11-02-2010, 15:09
I bought some HST 147 +P's to try. Really curious to compare them to the regular 147 HST. I'd really not expecting to notice much difference since the fps figures I've seen show the +P's to only get like 20-40 more.

G21FAN
11-02-2010, 15:38
Ranger T 127 +P+
Fed HST 147 +P
Fed HST 124 +
Fed HST 147 standard pressure
Ranger T 147grn
Speer 124 +P

granitemonkey
11-02-2010, 18:30
I think its a very gray area. depending on the load, the barrel, the velocity it chronos, and the velocity window the load is designed to expand in when it comes to using a lighter load (even +p since many times the extra charge sometimes exit with the bullet) in a short barrel.

i havent tried the hst's yet. from the testing ive seen of them i tend to like to stick with stuff that penetrates a little deeper. ive been using the short barrel 124+p gold dots in my 3.5" barrel HK USPc since it penetrates half way between the HSTs and the regular 147/124+p gold dot.

i hear you about them all recoiling about the same. the only one that i have noticed a lower amount of recoil with is the RA9T.

I agree with Clem, also take into account to whether or not your barrel has polygonal rifling which the Glock has. From what I read and understand it provides a better gas seal than a standard barrel.

Snowman92D
11-02-2010, 21:13
The Winchester Ranger-T 124-grain +P 9mm loading (RA9124TP) does really well in street shootings. Plus you can get it on-line and at LE distributors very often for real nice prices.

MURRAY
11-08-2010, 16:37
I would just get 147 Rangers I carry them and not worried about having to use +p or such.

JohnVal81
11-11-2010, 12:38
Ranger T's are my favorite

cowboy1964
11-11-2010, 14:52
I agree with Clem, also take into account to whether or not your barrel has polygonal rifling which the Glock has. From what I read and understand it provides a better gas seal than a standard barrel.

That doesn't seem to make much of a difference in real world velocities though.

Jeepnik
11-11-2010, 16:25
Why? If your current load works reliably in your gun why switch? Any good JHP from any of the major manufacturers will work as well as any other JHP. It's more importatnt to hit well, than be using some geewiz round that promises things no round can provide.

IF IT WORKS, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

G31
11-11-2010, 17:26
Get something you can afford. The differences in performance are academic; you never see a difference in actual street shootings. The only time you see anything about bullet X (insert your favorite for the variable) being crap is when someone improperly blames the round for a badly-placed shot.

The most important thing you should consider is accuracy. Try a bunch of rounds, and buy what you shoot well.

I often buy the WIN USA JHPs and use them when I have to buy my own ammo. My duty loads have always been Gold Dots, but I can see why...because of the bonded core (shooting through barriers that may strip a traditionally-jacketed bullet of it's jacket and much of the lead core). The chances of needing a bonded core are slim, but that's up to you to decide if you want the extra insurance.

Dogguy
11-11-2010, 19:12
If you have the option of choosing your ammunition, try several brands and weights of ammo in your duty gun. ALL of the current top types of ammo are comparable as far as quality is concerned. Pick the load that shoots best in your gun and is the most controllable for you to use. Bullet placement is more important than bullet type or brand or weight or what's the number one hit on this month's Guns and Ammo magazine cover story.

glock20c10mm
11-13-2010, 12:50
First, about accuracy. What you need is combat accuracy, not one-hole-group accuracy. I hope that makes sense without further explanation.

2nd, as has been mentioned, forget about Hydra-Shoks. They are good if all better options aren't an option. Other than that, I would highly suggest any: Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Ranger T, or HST, before any Hydra-Shok load.

Aside from that, as has also been mentioned, I would highly suggest the Ranger T 127gr +P+ load. After that, in 9mm, I'ld be looking at Ranger T 115gr +P+. Both loads are proven on the street. And both IMO are about the best choice one can make in terms of terminal performane on BGs. Plus, as Snowman92D mentioned, you can probably get either at a relatively low price.

Good Shooting,
Craig

hotpig
11-13-2010, 16:05
124+P is the lightest weight 9mm T available. Ranger 115+P+ is not a T bullet.

glock20c10mm
11-13-2010, 16:38
124+P is the lightest weight 9mm T available. Ranger 115+P+ is not a T bullet.
True. Thanks for correcting me hotpig. For the record, in my earlier post, I still recommend it, T-series or not.

Craig