Hornady LNL on way [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL on way

nostradumass
11-01-2010, 20:34
Ordered a LNL auto progressive today from Cabalas for 359 delivered. I need help on what would be the best dies for it (9mm) to start. I dont mind spending alittle more for the best dies if I can find a good deal. I dont have anything yet for reloading ...other than a bunch of brass. :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
11-01-2010, 20:45
Well, apparently they're all still playing in the "Collecting ammo" thread.. ;)

Let me be the first to say.. Congrats!

Dies.. Redding are really good.. I've always had good luck w/ the Lee Deluxe Die set(4 die set)... Just remember, you need to make sure whatever die set you get, has an expander die, and I'd recommend a separate crimp die.

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
11-01-2010, 20:52
I am sure Indy know this but the Lee has a expander die in it's four die set. Most dies are three die and make you crimp and seat at the same time. It's does wonders for your writing skills but must simpletons go with a seperate crimp die. Read the recommendations in the other thread for 10mm. I would make the same suggestions.

GioaJack
11-01-2010, 20:59
Congratulations, there will be a short learning curve with the press but once that passes you'll find it very enjoyable to use.

Any brand of dies will work fine in the LNL, if you already have a preferred brand just go with them

If you don't plan expanding with a die you'll need to order a PTX, either one from Hornady.

While you're waiting for the press to arrive call customer service at Hornady, tell them you just bought a LNL but you have a problem with the powder measure rotating while loading. They'll send you the shim that goes under the die bushing. If you do it now you'll have it when the press gets to you.

Don't order any spare parts from anyone... Hornady customer service is as good as Dillon, they'll send you everything you need under warranty... including case retainer springs. They are great to work with.

If you decide to use a powder check system the Powder Cop is a very, very simple design and works very well. I have them on both of my LNL. I also have the RCBS Lock-Out that I got just to compare the two but I haven't tried it yet.

The machine will come with 5 die bushings, if you're going to load more than one caliber you'll need to order more. Everyplace is cheaper than Hornady to get them.

Make sure you clean your powder measure thoroughly before use... it comes with a protective lubricant on it.

Youtube has some good videos but Hornady has recently started putting an instructional DVD in with the press.

Again, congratulations... if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Jack

nostradumass
11-01-2010, 21:10
I don't know if I'm more excited about getting a press or having a reason for Jack to say something to me. Both are worth the money. :supergrin:

Three-Five-Seven
11-01-2010, 23:35
After many years of using Dillon presses, I got an LnL about three years ago. I am very happy with it and predict you will be too!!!

Best dies are probably Dillon's. I have had great success with Redding and Hornady dies.

I have had the least success with RCBS dies, but sometimes they work great. RCBS often considers their dies as "prototypes" and are always willing to adjust the dies to suit the end user's requirements. Their customer service is excellent.

Speaking of customer service, Hornady, RCBS, and Dillon are all excellent and that can be very important if you shoot competitively and get in a jamb down the line. Lee and Redding are not as helpful in my experience, YMMV.

orgnova
11-02-2010, 04:39
Congrats!!

Was on the line about ordering one. Went back to order it and the price went up $40!!! Good thing I went there first, was going to order the case feeder too. My 2.

shotgunred
11-02-2010, 04:43
Oh no not another press owner that can't tell their primary colors apart.
Enjoy but the yellow one is the best.

ron59
11-02-2010, 05:22
Yeah, the OP was my friend. He was supposed to be getting a Dillon... not sure what this "Hornady" business is.

That's why said "was" my friend.

:rofl:Hey, congrats Reggie... guess you decided you couldn't wait til Christmas? LOL

Bob2223
11-02-2010, 06:44
Congrats on your new press!

Good choice :thumbsup:

Bob

GioaJack
11-02-2010, 09:03
I don't know if I'm more excited about getting a press or having a reason for Jack to say something to me. Both are worth the money. :supergrin:

UH-OH... Are you making' sport of me just like C4W and Indy do on a constant basis? As is quite evident, they have a total lack of respect for their elder, (and vastly superior I humbly add) forum member and at a time and place not yet decided upon they will pay the price.

Do not fall into their nefarious plans to try and convert all the young'uns into these popular, yet wussie ways of short-changing the reloading process by failing to do it properly.

You have already demonstrated that you are vastly more intelligent than their single digit IQ's, (combined) by purchasing RED, and if you continue along this path it will be short order before you make them look like a couple of kids playing with Greenie Stick'em Caps.

Resist, resist, resist following the path of mediocrity blazed by those who would starve to death if you locked them in a Safeway over night! Choose instead the path of excellence. Although it may be obscured by decades old growth of the branches of experience, it will, with struggle and perseverance lead you to the land of true loading enlightenment.

Fear not, there are those of us here who will sound the alarm and rush to your defense when the savages of mediocrity try to influence your mush filled mind... it is our mission in life. :whistling:

Jack

ron59
11-02-2010, 09:24
You asked about dies, and few answered that question.

I prefer the Lee sizing die over the Dillon. I love my Redding Seating die (it's adjustable without having to mess with the lock ring). My Dillon crimp die does just fine. You might could get the 4 die set of the Lees, then buy the Seating die later or something? I managed without the Seating die for 6 months or so, it's not *required*.... but it is handy if you experiment with different bullet types (or have competition bullets and the occasional batch of SD bullets with different bullet profile).

nostradumass
11-04-2010, 08:24
They = Cabalas called today and said it was on backorder and would ship in spring. I told her that it was not on BO when I ordered it or the next two days. Now she said it ships in twenty days to them. I guess it will be here before Christmas. I told her it was probably the fact that I got it for 359 instead of 399.

Guess Ill have to grab a bag of bullets and a bottle of whatth**** and head up to Ron's

You cant have nothin.:crying:

Boxerglocker
11-04-2010, 08:42
They = Cabalas called today and said it was on backorder and would ship in spring. I told her that it was not on BO when I ordered it or the next two days. Now she said it ships in twenty days to them. I guess it will be here before Christmas. I told her it was probably the fact that I got it for 359 instead of 399.

Guess Ill have to grab a bag of bullets and a bottle of whatth**** and head up to Ron's

Wow, your actually gonna wait? How long? I'd cancel and get it elsewhere. :upeyes:

GioaJack
11-04-2010, 08:50

Call Manventure Outpost... even when they show out of stock the usually get inventory within three days or so. They usually have the lowest advertised price which I believe is around $360.

I'd look it up for you but I didn't take ya to raise... start pecking away at your keyboard. (Get it before the end of the year so you can take advantage of the free bullets and before the Fed's recent action runs inflation up to 30%. :crying:)

Jack

Boxerglocker
11-04-2010, 09:53
Call Manventure Outpost... even when they show out of stock the usually get inventory within three days or so. They usually have the lowest advertised price which I believe is around $360.

I'd look it up for you but I didn't take ya to raise... start pecking away at your keyboard. (Get it before the end of the year so you can take advantage of the free bullets and before the Fed's recent action runs inflation up to 30%. :crying:)

Jack

Good advice. I read a post recently on the BE forums recommending that if your on the line about buying a new press particularly from Dillon to get your order in by years end. January 1st they have thier annual price increase and this year it's expected to be 7 to 9% across the board for all thier presses.
I would expect Horandy and all the other companies to follow suit I think the ammo shortage perhaps is coming to a taper, reloading appears to be making a comeback yet again. Particularly in those area that are feeling the pinch by the local state governments in regards to gun regulations.

Glock XIX
11-04-2010, 10:36
I put my name on the back order list, and within a week, they had some available. The press arrived 6 days after I ordered it. They have the best price on shell plates also.

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-095100-Lock-N-Load-Loader-AP.html

Flipz
11-04-2010, 10:59
I put my name on the back order list, and within a week, they had some available. The press arrived 6 days after I ordered it. They have the best price on shell plates also.

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-095100-Lock-N-Load-Loader-AP.html

Thanks for the link. I plan on getting one before the end of the year so I can take advantage of the bullet deal also. I looked at the Blue's also but in the end the LNL was the best deal. And it still has great ability to be expanded with a case feeder and now Hornady's new bullet feeder which if not out already, should be out soon.

It will be my first press and I wanted something I could grow with and not have to upgrade to much later down the road. The addition of a case feeder down the road is pretty certain. And maybe, if I have some extra dough laying around, their new bullet feeder also. I know for now Id only be loading 9mm and .45ACP. But pretty soon I'll be loading 5.56/.223 and many others as well.

The LNL just seem to fit the bill perfectly. And this is coming from a guy that was completely leaning to the Blue side until recently.

To the OP, keep us updated once youve had a chance to set it up and load a couple hundred rounds. Let us know what you think.

Bob2223
11-04-2010, 11:42

Same here I ordered a Hornady case feeder from them that showed out of stock and still got in a week or so.

Bob

Bello
11-07-2010, 10:42
Wow, your actually gonna wait? How long? I'd cancel and get it elsewhere. :upeyes:

i totally agree with that!