Help Please: SPP'S won't fully seat? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Please: SPP'S won't fully seat?

Kwesi
11-01-2010, 21:21
I've never had this happen after several thousand rounds but last night the first problem (possibly unrelated) was that station #1 wasn't depriming every case. Then when it did properly deprime the new primer is only partially seated. I'm using mixed cases: Win, Blazer, Federal, CCI, etc. All of my primer pockets look the same as always.

I took the shell plate compeltely off to clean as well as the primer slide. The primer cup is tight and the picked up primer is not coming up high enough. For example I can't raise the handle high enough to push a live primer out of the cup to remove it.

I've read the manual over and over and can't find where to adjust the cup so it will push the primer higher.

Please advise!

albyihat
11-01-2010, 21:27
what press are you using

albyihat
11-01-2010, 21:35
if it is a dillon which I think I have seen posts from you saying that is what you are using, you should check the rod which forces the powder measure to return to a closed position (part #97000 on the 550). The rod has a little plastic wing nut which will stop the forward movement of the press handle and may be causing the primer seater to not go all the way up. This is just a guess though as I don't know if you are using a 550.

Boxerglocker
11-01-2010, 21:35
what press are you using

He's running a Dillon 550B I believe... check you primer assy bar tweek it inward a bit to give it more reach. Very common problem on a 550 primer system. You'll find many a post on BE reloading regarding it.

If I'm right this is a post regarding the issue your having. The operating rod decribed controls travel of the anvil and primer slide. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115921

Kwesi
11-01-2010, 21:40
It is a 550. I'm not sure what to adjust though. Everything I've tried has not helped so far.

Boxerglocker
11-01-2010, 21:48
It is a 550. I'm not sure what to adjust though. Everything I've tried has not helped so far.

Look at this post too...
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113620&st=0&p=1289103&#entry1289103

albyihat
11-01-2010, 21:49
Kwesi, start to eliminate the easy stuff first. remove the toolhead so you can see what is going on if you have not already. With the toolhead gone can you now push handle forrward and see primer seater poking up above the shellplate? If not raise and lower handle can you see any spent primers that would impede any motion of priming operation. If not then completely disassemble the primer slide and check that all is working as per spec. although it sounds like you did this already. I know how frustrating it is to have a reloading session interrupted by malfunction. So take a deep breath and be methodical about finding the problem. Keep in mind if anything is broke or not working dillon will make it right.

Kwesi
11-01-2010, 21:57
if it is a dillon which I think I have seen posts from you saying that is what you are using, you should check the rod which forces the powder measure to return to a closed position (part #97000 on the 550). The rod has a little plastic wing nut which will stop the forward movement of the press handle and may be causing the primer seater to not go all the way up. This is just a guess though as I don't know if you are using a 550.

I hadn't checked that; thanks!

Kwesi
11-01-2010, 21:59
He's running a Dillon 550B I believe... check you primer assy bar tweek it inward a bit to give it more reach. Very common problem on a 550 primer system. You'll find many a post on BE reloading regarding it.

If I'm right this is a post regarding the issue your having. The operating rod decribed controls travel of the anvil and primer slide. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115921

Thanks but the thread seems to be about the cup not picking up a primer. That is not my issue.

Kwesi
11-01-2010, 22:01
Kwesi, start to eliminate the easy stuff first. remove the toolhead so you can see what is going on if you have not already. With the toolhead gone can you now push handle forrward and see primer seater poking up above the shellplate? If not raise and lower handle can you see any spent primers that would impede any motion of priming operation. If not then completely disassemble the primer slide and check that all is working as per spec. although it sounds like you did this already. I know how frustrating it is to have a reloading session interrupted by malfunction. So take a deep breath and be methodical about finding the problem. Keep in mind if anything is broke or not working dillon will make it right.

I'm trying to learn this press as I'm not as handy as many of you! It's all cleaned. I'm going to call it quits and try again in the morning. Thanks again!

BTW: I did call Dillon this morning and they had no answer for the partially seated primers except to say I might have some brass with a different primer pocket than what I'm used to....doubt that though!

Boxerglocker
11-01-2010, 22:10
I'm trying to learn this press as I'm not as handy as many of you! It's all cleaned. I'm going to call it quits and try again in the morning. Thanks again!

BTW: I did call Dillon this morning and they had no answer for the partially seated primers except to say I might have some brass with a different primer pocket than what I'm used to....doubt that though!

Read that second thread I posted for you... seems like that is your issue.

fredj338
11-01-2010, 22:50
Make sure the priming cup is fastened into the priming slide. There is a litle set screw. If the set screw gets loose, the priming pin moves while trying to seat the primer.

IndyGunFreak
11-02-2010, 01:34
Look at this post too...
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113620&st=0&p=1289103&#entry1289103

That one was actually kind of funny. We all make mistakes, I'm guessing he'll pay more attention next time he stakes stuff apart.

I'm amazed the shell plate held rounds in place cocked like that.

IGF

WiskyT
11-02-2010, 03:11
what press are you using

Did you read the OP? He's having priming problems. It must be a Lee 1000.

shotgunred
11-02-2010, 04:50
Check to see if you have a spent primer jamming the primer slide assembly. When one gets on the frame just in front of the primer slide assembly it keeps you from making a complete throw.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2010, 06:04
Take the shellplate off, clean everything including the bolt. Lube very lightly under the bolt head (where it hit the shellplate). LIGHTLY. Tighten the bolt/shellplate (and the set screw). Keep going to the thing binds and then back it off till it doesn't bind and turns smoothly.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2010, 06:19
I've read the manual over and over and can't find where to adjust the cup so it will push the primer higher.

Please advise!

Take a look at the parts diagram for the press. In a box next to the press is a parts list and pictures of the primer slider. In that is a height for the cup. I am out of town so I don't have it now.

Primer cup is not your issue from what I can tell. If not set right it will cause priming issues (flipped primers, that type of thing). Primer depth is not about the cup but the punch that goes through the cup. It's not adjustable.

Depriming is a die issue. The question is, have you taken the carrier (don't know the proper name) off. By carrier I mean the big part that connects to the ram and that you attach the shellplate to? If so you need to align it. Have dillon send you the tool. It's simple but you need the tool.

I am pretty sure it's all about your shellplate not being tight. A new machine starts to "wear in" and needs more adjustment. I seldom have to adjust mine now. Dillon does not recommend (or discourage) a small amount of oil under the head of that bolt. I found it helps me get the bolt just a little tighter before it binds.

Tip: When you tighten the bolt it will turn smooth, then you tighten the set screw and it may bind. Just do that and back the bolt off a 1/8 a turn at a time till it doesn't bind when you tighten the set screw. Take the toolhead off to do this, raise the ram, leave the allen wrench in the bolt as you do this. Makes it easier IMHO.

Kwesi
11-02-2010, 06:53
Check to see if you have a spent primer jamming the primer slide assembly. When one gets on the frame just in front of the primer slide assembly it keeps you from making a complete throw.

Not that as I took it all apart and cleaned.

Kwesi
11-02-2010, 06:57
Take a look at the parts diagram for the press. In a box next to the press is a parts list and pictures of the primer slider. In that is a height for the cup. I am out of town so I don't have it now.

Primer cup is not your issue from what I can tell. If not set right it will cause priming issues (flipped primers, that type of thing). Primer depth is not about the cup but the punch that goes through the cup. It's not adjustable.

Depriming is a die issue. The question is, have you taken the carrier (don't know the proper name) off. By carrier I mean the big part that connects to the ram and that you attach the shellplate to? If so you need to align it. Have dillon send you the tool. It's simple but you need the tool.

I am pretty sure it's all about your shellplate not being tight. A new machine starts to "wear in" and needs more adjustment. I seldom have to adjust mine now. Dillon does not recommend (or discourage) a small amount of oil under the head of that bolt. I found it helps me get the bolt just a little tighter before it binds.

Tip: When you tighten the bolt it will turn smooth, then you tighten the set screw and it may bind. Just do that and back the bolt off a 1/8 a turn at a time till it doesn't bind when you tighten the set screw. Take the toolhead off to do this, raise the ram, leave the allen wrench in the bolt as you do this. Makes it easier IMHO.

Yes I believe the punch that comes up through the cup is not coming up high enough. I did not remove the part that the shellplate is attached to!

Gonna give it a try again...thanks!

GioaJack
11-02-2010, 09:08
Sounds like a good time to trade it in on a LNL. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
11-02-2010, 13:28
So the problem is: some cases do not deprime properly, and for those that do deprime, the new primer is not being seated deeply enough. This could be separate problems, although it seems to indicate that your ram/shellplate assembly is not rising high enough to present the old case to the depriming die and again to properly seat the primer.

First, if a Lee die set, examine your depriming/sizing die. Is the deprimer mandrel raised above the top of the die? If so, the depriming pin contacted something inside a case (berdan primed case?) that it could not overcome and instead of breaking off, the collet allowed it to slide up. It can be easily reset by loosening the nuts on the top of the die and pushing the mandrel back down even with the top of the die.

Did you change from one caliber to another just prior to this problem beginning? If so, did you possibly forget to change from a large to small primer assembly? And when you assembled the primer assembly, did you reinstall the primer track bearing, that sliver of metal that goes between the frame and primer slide?

I don't believe the wrong shellplate would cause the depriming problem - the spent case is pressed against the shellplate platform in the depriming operation. However, a wrong shellplate could cause the primer seating problem by not holding the case tight enough to allow the primer punch to do its job. A large primer assembly could potentially prevent a small primer from being properly inserted into the 9mm SP pocket. BTW, the height of the primer punch can be adjusted and Dillon states the adjustment range in the manual (available online). There is a set screw in the side of the primer slide used to adjust the height.

If neither of these situations, consider what may have changed from your last reloading session that would keep the ram from rising? Has a linkage loosened?
Just throwing some ideas out there in an attempt to help you out. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. Additional feedback will help us to help you.

mogollon
11-02-2010, 16:53
A few things to check: Be sure the marking that indicates which shellplate you have is facing up. If the shellplate is on upside down, the case is suspended higher than the punch can travel. You should be able to see the number or letter stamped on the top of the shellplate. Next, be sure the two small bolts that attach the roller bracket shell platform (stock #14280) are tight. If the left-hand bolt is loose, it contacts the top of the primer slide and acts like a stop.
When you push the handle forward to seat the primer, the shaft of the handle should not touch anything. If it contacts the chute/bracket the loaded rounds slide down, reposition the bracket. Also, check the crank, the blue piece the handle fits into, for a crack by where the handle inserts.
Finally, and I assume you checked this already, be sure you aren't using military crimped brass unless you have swaged out the crimp. Primers cannot insert past the crimp, so they wrinkle at the end of the cup.

GioaJack
11-02-2010, 16:58
See, that's good customer service... but Kwesi should have called you guys this morning, right after he went to vote.

(Do I get a free 1050 for the plug? :whistling:)

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2010, 17:03
Wow, never thought of the plate being upside down. That could happen.

Kwesi
11-02-2010, 17:35
No I did not change anything and everything was installed properly. The seating issue was due to the primer seating punch (#13967) was apparently unable to move up forward enough due to the primer seating cup spring (14033) binding. Once we loosened the small screw underneath the primer seting punch popped up!

When we put it all back together we still could not get the cup to align in the shell plate so we called Dillon. Possibly this will help someone in the future:

in order to get it aligned we had to loosen the two allen screws that attach the primer slide (from underneath) then it slipped perfectly into place with the normal adjustment screw (14037).

Thanks for everyone's help...great to be back in business!

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2010, 17:41
in order to get it aligned we had to loosen the two allen screws that attach the primer slide (from underneath) then it slipped perfectly into place with the normal adjustment screw (14037).

Thanks for everyone's help...great to be back in business!

Yeah, You don't just throw it on with the ram up. You put the thing in, lower the ram wtih the bolts loose and then tighten it down so it doesn't bind and works smoothly.

PCJim
11-02-2010, 19:15
Glad you've figured it out.

I also had not considered an upside down shellplate. Good observation there.

Colorado4Wheel
11-02-2010, 19:54
Make sure that you didn't mess up the cup adjustment when you fiddled with that set bolt. The proper height is on the page I mentioned in the manual.

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 06:44
Primer is working fine & the cup looks to be in spec using my calipers.

Murphy's Law
11-03-2010, 08:48
What about acknowledgement of you buddy "Murphy's Law"? who got it all straighten out for you. :supergrin:

GioaJack
11-03-2010, 09:02
What about acknowledgement of you buddy "Murphy's Law"? who got it all straighten out for you. :supergrin:

Doesn't make any difference who gets the credit when you do something good, only that you accept the blame when you do something wrong.

Are you a politician? :whistling:

Jack

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 09:31
Doesn't make any difference who gets the credit when you do something good, only that you accept the blame when you do something wrong.

Are you a politician? :whistling:

Jack

Actually it wasn't my buddy who figured it out! I decided to call Dillon and Peter gave us the tip that led to the fix but I did credit Murphy's Law with an assist!