Initial costs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Initial costs?

nathanours
11-02-2010, 15:30
I read the how to get started in reloading sticky, but I am just wondering how much I would have to spend to get started?

I would want decent equipment that would last, but only what I would need, not a lot of extras I could do without. I've got plenty of time, so speed isn't really an issue.

I mainly want to load .223, 5.56, and 9mm.

I have maybe 600 mixed .223 and 5.56 casings, and if it proves too expensive to start reloading them would they be worth anything? They are all once fired brass, and I washed them in warm soapy water.

Thanks

PastorDan
11-02-2010, 15:39
Well I started relaoding just what you are looking to do about 2 months ago. I had a friend shop on Ebay and get me a press and I picked up a couple other odds and end on ebay also. Then an awesome guy sent me the needed dies (Thanks Daryl). I think with powder, brass, bullets and all the gear I am in about $400.00 right now but all I am buying now is components.
And if you don't chose to cross over to the darkside then yes your brass would probably be worth something and if you want to get rid of it send me a PM I would be happy to take some of it off your hands.

robin303
11-02-2010, 15:47
I bought a single stage Lee, 1 lb of powder, 250 Berry's 9mm boolits and the Lee 9mm dies for about $200 from Cabela's. Lot of it was on sale after Xmas last year. Already had the books. I load about 50 an hour and maybe 12,000 so far. It's all I need and happy as heck with my setup and a real good way to learn to reload.

Boxerglocker
11-02-2010, 15:47
This is a topic of constant discussion. I suggest you do the following search keywords: started, reloading, cost and look at the recent threads. Everyone here has chimed in in regards to going all out with a casefed progressive to using a hand press. Then there is the Red and Blue debate. The how "cheap are you?" debate, etc., etc., etc.
Once you have done that, work out what your initial budget would be, your required number of rounds a month and your time to invest. Then come back with any questions.

fredj338
11-02-2010, 18:35
Standard answer: Get The ABCs of Reloading or at least one good reloading manual or attend a NRA class. Then dedcide how much time you want to spend, time is money. The higher you ammo demands, the more the equip will cost. A single stage kit, like the RCBS RC is a good one w/ high quality equip. Even if you advance to a more pricey progressive, you will still find uses for your ss, ask Stevie (C4W).

nathanours
11-02-2010, 21:39
I've got a good $300 or so dollars, would this get me anywhere? I've also got a decent supply of brass already. How many times can you reuse one brass casing? I've got lots of time on my hands.

Maybe I will look for used stuff?

shotgunred
11-02-2010, 21:57
Yes it would. look at Lee classic turret presses. Search Lee classic turret presses and you will find what to buy and were to buy.

RedHaze
11-02-2010, 23:33
I picked up lee anniversary kit for just shy of 90 bucks. Shellholder, dies, and a couple odds and ends, plus a manual or two and... Bammo, we're in business.

I bought a bunch of components at the same time, and kept everything at just over 400 bucks.

fredj338
11-02-2010, 23:52
I've got a good $300 or so dollars, would this get me anywhere? I've also got a decent supply of brass already. How many times can you reuse one brass casing? I've got lots of time on my hands.

Maybe I will look for used stuff?
Lee classic cast, good scale from Dillon or sim, good powder measure from RCBS, Hornady orRedding, dies, shell holders, calipers & other small stuff, you could do it for $300 if you shop smart. E-bay has some good deals on accesories like scales & measures. Lee dies will work most of the time.

nathanours
11-03-2010, 15:16
Thanks guys, and just to be clear, I need a dye for every caliber I want to reload correct?

ron59
11-03-2010, 15:24
Thanks guys, and just to be clear, I need a dye for every caliber I want to reload correct?

You need a SET of dies for each caliber you reload.

Sizing
Seating
Crimp
Possibly belling (you can't usually put the bullet in the case mouth without opening up slightly).

I've not used a single stage press before, but I can only imagine it's the same thing there as with progressives.

GioaJack
11-03-2010, 16:15
You need a SET of dies for each caliber you reload.

Sizing
Seating
Crimp
Possibly belling (you can't usually put the bullet in the case mouth without opening up slightly).

I've not used a single stage press before, but I can only imagine it's the same thing there as with progressives.

If you're going to learn, learn the right way... especially on a single stage;

Size
Expand/Bell
Seat/Crimp

You only need a total of three dies for pistol calibers... unless you like doing worthless extra work. :supergrin:

Jack

Boxerglocker
11-03-2010, 16:21
Just get the LCT deal from Kempf's it comes with everything and you can use it as a SS. $220 delivered for one caliber, dies included and both upgrades. Add a scale and calipers and your loading... cheap tumbler kit would be a good addition to. Under $400 bucks total.

chris in va
11-03-2010, 19:45
You only need a total of three dies for pistol calibers... unless you like doing worthless extra work.

Wow, gee. I guess all those jams my CZ was experiencing with the three die set were just my imagination, and the complete reliability I got by using the FCD is...a fairy tale?:shocked:

But anyhoo my entire setup a few months ago ran me about $130. That went up some with the purchase of a vibratory tumbler.

Colorado4Wheel
11-03-2010, 20:04
Seating and Crimping at the same time saves a step on a single stage. Unless you need that seperate step then why bother.