Normal barrel wear question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Normal barrel wear question.

Clint-M
11-02-2010, 15:56
I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 that has been flawless through a little over 500 rounds. I took it to the range yesterday and put a quick 100 more through the barrel, got it home and stripped it down and the underside of the barrel looks like the recoil spring did not seat properly and shaved a strip off down the center. I'm not worried in any sense, I just wanted to know if that is what it is and if it is normal wear.

Also when I field strip it I have to be careful to hold the spring in place or it will pop out and shoot across the room or get jammed in and take a couple of minutes to get out. I recently got a second one in a trade (brand new) that did not do get stuck or fly out in a half a dozen or so attempts to strip it so I guess my question is whether or not the recoil spring might be off just a hair causing seating issues that either knock it loose or jam it in.

Thanks,
CM

JR
11-02-2010, 16:32
You will notice a different wear rate when comparing the dual stage and single stage recoil springs. I would watch for further wear on the one you have now.
FYI: A common problem with the Gen4 guns is the spring getting caught in the slide retaining hole. I see Glock Inc has offered two revisions thus far.

Clint-M
11-02-2010, 20:05
What should I do if it continues to scratch away at the bottom of the barrel? Is that something I should bring to Glock's attention, or just buy a new recoil spring and be done with it?

JR
11-04-2010, 11:40
Don’t worry about it. The black finish is the only thing missing. The issue will resolve itself quickly.