Firefox Crashing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Crashing?

Obi Wan
11-02-2010, 18:43
For the past few weeks I've had multiple incidents of Firefox crashing on me. I've set it to send an error report, etc, but haven't really seen the causes. It restarts right away.

I've updated to version 3.6.12, but that didn't fix the problem.

Any other ideas?

Btw, running Windows XP SP2 on a Compaq desktop.

GIockGuy24
11-02-2010, 20:43
When Firefox updated, did Firefox download and install the update or did you download the whole installer for Firefox 3.6.12? You may want to download the installer and run it without uninstalling Firefox and it should run as an update, maybe even with the same version installed. Failing that, maybe backup and save your bookmarks, uninstall Firefox, reboot the computer and then install Firefox. I would try running the installer with Firefox left in the system first.

Can download the installer here.

http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/

I prefer Seamonkey which is the whole Mozilla browser suite that used to b the Mozilla browser.

http://filehippo.com/download_seamonkey/

You can have both Firefox and Seamonkey installed and you should be able to import bookmarks from one to the other.

kc8ykd
11-02-2010, 21:22
are you running any plugins or addon's ?

if so, you might try disabling them and see if the crashes continue. if they stop, then re-enable them one by one and see if the crashes start up again.

Sgt. Schultz
11-03-2010, 05:43
For the past few weeks I've had multiple incidents of Firefox crashing on me. I've set it to send an error report, etc, but haven't really seen the causes. It restarts right away.

I've updated to version 3.6.12, but that didn't fix the problem.

Any other ideas?

Btw, running Windows XP SP2 on a Compaq desktop.

I had a client with the same issue, turned out to be the latest adobe flash update causing it to crash ... long story short, after uninstalling and then reinstalling both Firefox and flash it hasn't crashed since.

Obi Wan
11-03-2010, 12:51
When Firefox updated, did Firefox download and install the update or did you download the whole installer for Firefox 3.6.12? You may want to download the installer and run it without uninstalling Firefox and it should run as an update, maybe even with the same version installed. Failing that, maybe backup and save your bookmarks, uninstall Firefox, reboot the computer and then install Firefox. I would try running the installer with Firefox left in the system first.

Can download the installer here.

I prefer Seamonkey which is the whole Mozilla browser suite that used to b the Mozilla browser.

You can have both Firefox and Seamonkey installed and you should be able to import bookmarks from one to the other.
I downloaded the update (installer) from filehipppo, where I get most of my stuff from.
I had a client with the same issue, turned out to be the latest adobe flash update causing it to crash ... long story short, after uninstalling and then reinstalling both Firefox and flash it hasn't crashed since.

That sounds about right for Adobe. They seem to be the cause of all sorts of problems anymore.

Will do it, Gentlemen... and let you know.

Thanks!

GIockGuy24
11-03-2010, 12:56
I remember now it is usually updating Flash Player instead of uninstalling the older version and installing the latest version that often causes Firefox to crash. First uninstall Adobe Flash Player as you would uninstall any other program. Then run the installer for the latest version.

Download for latest version.

http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/8384/

They are working on a replacement, newer version, but it's still in beta testing.

Beta version download (may not be stable)

http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/

Obi Wan
12-03-2010, 10:20
OK, I've done as suggested, but the problem continues...

I've been unable to trace the beginning of the problem so I don't know what's causing it. I have uninstalled Adobe and then reinstalled it, since Adobe is somewhat famous for causing problems. I've also reinstalled the newest non-Beta Firefox, etc.

Anyone know how I can backtrack to the date this started to see if I had installed something I don't remember?

Any other ideas? :dunno:

Thanks.

Pierre!
12-03-2010, 23:11
Have you considered installing SP3?

It's the current SP level out there, and perhaps FireFox is not getting what it wants from the Operating System.

I have seen weirder things... :cool:

Please keep us posted!

Markasaurus
12-03-2010, 23:13
I used FireFox for a little while, had the same problems as you. I switched Google chrome. No problems. fast and easy. Plug ins are easy to install.

Obi Wan
12-08-2010, 13:02
Have you considered installing SP3?

It's the current SP level out there, and perhaps FireFox is not getting what it wants from the Operating System.

I have seen weirder things... :cool:

Please keep us posted!
Good call. I had forgotten that and will try to do that upgrade this week. I've backed up most of my data so will go from there.

Thanks.

I used FireFox for a little while, had the same problems as you. I switched Google chrome. No problems. fast and easy. Plug ins are easy to install.
I've decided I don't trust Google enough to let them run my machine. They've shown too many times they play loose with privacy, et al, IMO.

GIockGuy24
12-08-2010, 23:14
Mozilla Firefox is sponsored by Google too. That's why it has Google search and Google is it's default home page. I've had a lot more trouble installing Chrome than Firefox. You might try Seamonkey which replaced the older Mozilla suite but I think it's based on Firefox now. It used to be more stable than Firefox though so it might still be.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

It works all Firefox add-ons and extensions.

IndyGunFreak
12-09-2010, 04:24
Install Firefox-Killer...

http://www.google.com/chrome

:)

I wasn't to high on Chrome at first, but after using the last 3-4mo, almost exclusively.... Google has hit an absolute home run (again) w/ one of their products. Chrome is fast, is compatible w/ all the sites I go to, has extensions available just like Firefox (Adblock, etc..), and has been very stable for me. Now granted, I'm talking about the Linux version, but I can only imagine the Windows version is just as good.

IGF

JimmyN
12-09-2010, 05:21
You probably have something wrong in your user profile. Firefox doesn't remove your profile, even when you un-install. So even if you go to add/remove programs and completely un-install Firefox, then install it again, it will still be using the same profile as before. That's why the problem doesn't go away just by un-installing and then re-installing. You're just changing/replacing the executable program files, and that's usually not where the problem lies.

I'd create a new profile and see if the problem goes away. Then you can copy your bookmarks, and login/password files to the new profile so you don't lose any of that.

Click on 'Start>Run' and in the box type in firefox.exe -profilemanager
That will bring up the profile manager. Create a new profile, and give it a name. In your "Profiles" folder on the drive the profile filename will begin with a random salt of characters, followed by the name you gave it, as the filename extension. So if you name the profile 'turnip', then in your profile folder the new profile will appear something like "c1v0qme6e.turnip".

If the new profile works, then close Firefox and copy bookmarks.html, signons2.txt, signons3.txt, and key3.db from your old profile, which will have an extension of ".default", over to your new profile. Then you'll have your old bookmarks and logins in your new profile. You may not have "signons2.txt", and/or you may have more than one key.db file. Depending on how long you have been using Firefox, and which versions you've upgraded from. Just copy any file with "signons" or "key" in the name over to the new profile.

All your bookmarks are in "bookmarks.html". You can actually double click on the "bookmarks.html" file and view your bookmarks as a web page, there is nothing special about your bookmarks file, it's standard HTML script. There will also be a second copy named "bookmarks.bak"

That will start you over clean, and you will have to install any extensions you were using before since they will be gone. But that's for the best since it could be a conflict between extensions that is causing the problem. In fact most problems with Firefox come from a conflict between extensions. There are thousands of extensions available, but keep in mind that some don't play well with others since there is no way of testing an extension against the many thousands of different combinations that you could possibly be using.

Your profiles will usually be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

If you want to start over completely clean, un-install Firefox, then go into your user Application Data folder and delete the "Mozilla" folder. That will give you a fresh start as if you had never installed Firefox before.

GIockGuy24
12-11-2010, 04:42
There's an updated Firefox that is suppose to be more stable. Also updated for Seamonkey.

Firefox

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Seamonkey

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Obi Wan
12-11-2010, 10:52
Your profiles will usually be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

If you want to start over completely clean, un-install Firefox, then go into your user Application Data folder and delete the "Mozilla" folder. That will give you a fresh start as if you had never installed Firefox before.
I'm confused... ( not unusual... :cool: )

If I can just uninstall, and then delete the 'Mozilla' folder, which will delete my profile, why would I need to do all the other steps of setting up a new profile and copying things into it? What am I missing here?

GlockGuy24, I've installed the updates, including the latest one that showed up last night. We'll see what happens from here.

Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
12-11-2010, 11:46

If I can just uninstall, and then delete the 'Mozilla' folder, which will delete my profile, why would I need to do all the other steps of setting up a new profile and copying things into it? What am I missing here?

GlockGuy24, I've installed the updates, including the latest one that showed up last night. We'll see what happens from here.

Thanks!

Because usually your user profile is not removed when you uninstall. Thats why if you Uninstall Firefox, then Reinstall it, it often still has all of your preferences.

Obi Wan
12-11-2010, 11:50
Because usually your user profile is not removed when you uninstall. Thats why if you Uninstall Firefox, then Reinstall it, it often still has all of your preferences.
I get that... but does that hold true if you also delete the folder as mentioned above, or is the profile hidden somewhere else? :dunno:

IndyGunFreak
12-11-2010, 12:03
I get that... but does that hold true if you also delete the folder as mentioned above, or is the profile hidden somewhere else? :dunno:

It's quite possible its also hidden elsewhere...

I still say just install Chrome, and be done.. :). Google is ramping up their operating system now to, only a matter of time before we're all using Google OS, Google Mail, Google Chat, etc..

Embrace the horror.

GIockGuy24
12-11-2010, 13:59
You can uninstall using Revo Uninstaller, which is a small program that must be installed to use. It will clean most everything having to do with what you choose to uninstall using it. After uninstalling, RESTART, REBOOT the computer BEFORE installing Firefox again. when updating Firefox if I don't have a problem I update with the new version installer instead of letting Firefox update itself. Revo Uninstaller cleans up a lot of leftover stuff from uninstalled programs. I use it to uninstall an update Java too.

http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html

JimmyN
12-11-2010, 14:31

Thanks!

If you want to keep and re-use all your saved bookmarks, user logins, passwords, etc, then create a new profile using the profilemanager. You'll get a new profile without destroying the old. Then you can copy your saved info from the old into the new.

If you don't care about your saved info then it's easier to just delete the Mozilla folder, and Firefox will create a new one the next time it runs.

Instead of creating a new profile another option to start over and still save your info would be to rename the Mozilla folder instead of deleting it. Close Firefox. Rename the existing Mozilla folder to "Mozilla-original", then start up Firefox, and it will create a new Mozilla folder and profile with the default values.

You really don't need a special uninstaller, since Firefox doesn't 'install' in the normal sense, and will even run standalone without any installation from a thumb drive, etc. Installation just creates a folder in Program Files for the executables, sets Firefox as default browser and html file association in the registry, and when it is run the first time it creates a profile folder in the users Application Data folder. Delete the two folders, and run another browser and set it as default and all traces of Firefox are gone.

JimBianchi
12-11-2010, 14:57
Firefox was doing the same to me also. I am a huge fan of it and spend days trying to fix this bug.

The fix was surprisingly easy. And now my browser is 100% stable.

Google Chrome.