GT running slow??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GT running slow???

tomgunner
11-02-2010, 19:59
is it just me or why does it seem that the GT site is running slower than ever when I change from thread to thread...any techies out there want to respond?? of all the gun forums that i go on, this one is the slowest. does it have to do with all the graphics/ads loading each time??

kc8ykd
11-02-2010, 20:10
might just be you, i'm not having any problems from either of my machines at my desk.

you haven't provided enough of a description or technical details to be able to provide a 'techie' response to.

you could try this, when it's running slow:

open a command prompt, then do a:
tracert glocktalk.com

and paste the results.

Airsprint
11-03-2010, 09:23
Firewall? Type of internet connection? Router? Switches? Wireless? ISP? Location? Browser? Other computers on network? Speed of network? Other programs running on your computer? Torrents? etc etc etc

Angry Fist
11-03-2010, 09:26
Yeah, I thought it was just me. Been 2 weeks now. The other thread suggested the black ticker? :dunno:

solomansousana
11-03-2010, 16:51
I've noticed the same thing and I've tried using both my work and personal laptops, my wifes laptops and our home desktops and they all work slow from thread to thread.

crzn01
11-03-2010, 16:53
A little slow for me also................

JimmyN
11-04-2010, 03:41
The black scroll line is done with Javascript.

If you think the slowdown is caused by that then go to the tools menu in your browser and temporarily turn off Javascript, then refresh the page to see if things speed up. The black scrolling marquee will no longer be there.

If it's still slow then go back into tools and disable images for Glocktalk. That will stop all the image loads. Some of the images come from an ad server 'app.outsidehubmedia.com' or from a Glocktalk subdomain 'sponsers.glocktalk.com'. If either of those is slow serving an ad image it could slow down the page population, depending on your browser.

If you turn off Javascript to remove that workload, and disable images so you're not pulling them off three different servers, you're down to just a text file of around 200K. The browser should be able to load and render it pretty quickly.

IndyGunFreak
11-04-2010, 03:50
I'd PM Eric before voicing this sort of thing in the Forum... but thats just me..

IGF