Assistance needed re: an email account [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Assistance needed re: an email account

m2hmghb
11-03-2010, 03:50
Ok I got a weird email from my mother which I know was a bs thing. I logged into her account(yes I have the password)from my computer and checked and it was there in the spam folder, yet there was nothing in her sent folder. In addition there was a mailer daemon failure in the spam folder like it was trying to send out a spam email but was unable to.

I've changed her password, disconnected her machine from the net while doing a virus scan, I plan on rebooting into safe mode and doing a virus and malware scan. At the time the emails were sent the machine was physically shut down. Any more ideas or advice? Thanks in advance.

CitizenOfDreams
11-03-2010, 07:43
Some spammer - or scammer - sent that message to a bunch of people (including you and your mother) and used your mother's e-mail address as the return address. If you check the headers, you will most likely see that the message did not originate from her computer.

Angry Fist
11-03-2010, 07:55
My dad had an email account last year he used a few times. Now there's a new one. I get emails from his old one every week linking me to a Canadian pharmacy... WTF?

solomansousana
11-03-2010, 16:54
some spammer - or scammer - sent that message to a bunch of people (including you and your mother) and used your mother's e-mail address as the return address. If you check the headers, you will most likely see that the message did not originate from her computer.

+1 .

m2hmghb
11-03-2010, 17:42
Actually in the from part of the header it does have my mother's email address. If I click see all messages from this sender it lists the other e-mails my mother has sent me.

srhoades
11-03-2010, 21:01
Actually in the from part of the header it does have my mother's email address. If I click see all messages from this sender it lists the other e-mails my mother has sent me.

It will have her email address in the header but the sending mail server won't be her ISP.

CitizenOfDreams
11-03-2010, 21:36
Actually in the from part of the header it does have my mother's email address.

Right. Same way I could write your mother's return address on an envelope, and you would file it along with the real letters from your mom. But if you look at the postal stamp, you will see that it was actually mailed from Orlando, Florida.

Alchemy
11-08-2010, 13:37
My dad had an email account last year he used a few times. Now there's a new one. I get emails from his old one every week linking me to a Canadian pharmacy... WTF?

We've had a streak of emails being hacked from some of our contacts.

The exact same thing happens and if you open them you are directed
to a Canadian pharmacy. Do not open the emails from the account that
is scamming you!

Linux3
11-08-2010, 19:58
I'm having this problem with a couple of addresses of members of an email googlegroup I manage.
They are all hotmail accounts.
I blocked them and the users swear they changed their addresses.
Big problem. I have sent a number of emails to
abuse@hotmail.com
and
report_spam@hotmail.com
and
report_spam@msn.com
All to no avail.

I have no solution but to report them as spam to googlegroups and to my ISP.
We need 2 Internets.

havensal
11-10-2010, 09:39
I have had my email account hacked on hotmail's servers. All of my contacts were getting spam from me. I changed my PW and it stopped. My boss's wife had the same thing happen with her AOL email account.

I hate hackers. :steamed: