What's up with S&B 9mm brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's up with S&B 9mm brass?

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 06:51
I must have picked these up at my range. I had a few, but not all, fall down inside my case gauge as you'd expect a .380 but they are stamped 9mm?

ron59
11-03-2010, 06:55
What do you mean "fall down inside the case gauge" ?

Are you case gauging empty brass ?

Is it a piece of reloaded ammo that is going further into the case gauge than you expect it would? Because... guess what, if it's doing that, that's how far it's SUPPOSED TO FALL. The 9mm cartridge headspaces on the case rim, not the base. You can put a 9mm cartridge in the gauge upside down (base first) and it will go inside the hole.

That was something I didn't realize at first myself. But a properly resized and loaded 9mm round, the base of the cartridge will actually be slightly BELOW the surface of the gauge.

jsnake
11-03-2010, 07:11
you sure it doesn't say "9mm br.", which is 380?
Joe

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 07:12
These are reloaded, not empty brass. I have probably reloaded 8-10,000 rounds without seeing this. The round is about 1/8" inside the gauge! I had a few .380 pieces slip thru & get reloaded with 115gr tips & when you case gauge both rounds they BOTH fall down into the gauge.

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 07:20
you sure it doesn't say "9mm br.", which is 380?
Joe

Joe you are right on! It's great to learn something new...thank you!

Bob2223
11-03-2010, 07:22
Thats why I've never owned a case gage, afraid I would find too many problems.
I treat my reloads like a Postal flat rate box,,
If it fits it ships!

:supergrin:

Bob

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 07:26
Why doesn't S&B just stamp it .380? Any other manufactures utilize this designation?

jmorris
11-03-2010, 07:50
FWIW get out a magnent, a lot of 9mm S&B brass is just plated steel.

Kwesi
11-03-2010, 09:35
FWIW get out a magnent, a lot of 9mm S&B brass is just plated steel.

Thanks! That would be a quick way to weed them out.

jsnake
11-03-2010, 09:51
No worries. Had this problem myself. You will also see 380 brass stamped 9x18.
Joe

grenadier
11-03-2010, 10:05
No worries. Had this problem myself. You will also see 380 brass stamped 9x18.
Joe

Shouldn't this be 9x17? IIRC, 9x18 is only used for two cartridges, the 9 mm Ultra, and the 9 mm Makarov.

jsnake
11-03-2010, 12:21
True,
Sorry, I meant 9x17. Thanks for catching it.
joe

buyobuyo
11-03-2010, 18:40
.380 may also be stamped 9mm Kurz.

Colorado4Wheel
11-03-2010, 19:37
Not trying to be mean/harsh. I just don't know how else to say this. You need to pay better attention when you are loading. You should have noticed the minute you pulled the handle on that 380 case that it wasn't right. It would have been noticably easier to pull the handle on that brass. The minute you feel things not right you need to stop and find out why. That is a good reason to never size a small batch of case seperately and just throw them in with the unsized stuff that you plan to load. You will train yourself to ignore those "easy to size" cases. Then the bad stuff can slip through. Those 380 cases are not sized. So the bullets are not being held in very well. Don't assume that they won't fire in the 9mm. The very well could. I fired a 9mm in a 10mm gun. 380 is pretty close to 9mm. You could also easily have bulet setback and ou already have a much smaller case so it would be a very bad thing if that happened.

chris in va
11-03-2010, 19:40
There's also 9mm(M) for Makarov. Sneaky buggers. I've found anything before the date code '10' is usually steel. But not always. Sometimes.

m2hmghb
11-03-2010, 20:04
9mm Corto is Italian for .380

dudel
11-04-2010, 02:37
Don't assume that they won't fire in the 9mm. The very well could. I fired a 9mm in a 10mm gun. 380 is pretty close to 9mm. You could also easily have bulet setback and ou already have a much smaller case so it would be a very bad thing if that happened.

Plus the likely won't headspace correctly or seal in the chamber properly. Breechface and gun will take a beating with those rounds in there.

OP needs to check his brass a little more carefully. Spot on about learning the feel of the press/round. Something doesn't feel right stop and figure out what's wrong. It's a whole lot easier while there are 4/5 rounds in the press than 1000 rounds in the bin.

Kwesi
11-04-2010, 06:47
Not trying to be mean/harsh. I just don't know how else to say this. You need to pay better attention when you are loading. You should have noticed the minute you pulled the handle on that 380 case that it wasn't right. It would have been noticably easier to pull the handle on that brass. The minute you feel things not right you need to stop and find out why. That is a good reason to never size a small batch of case seperately and just throw them in with the unsized stuff that you plan to load. You will train yourself to ignore those "easy to size" cases. Then the bad stuff can slip through. Those 380 cases are not sized. So the bullets are not being held in very well. Don't assume that they won't fire in the 9mm. The very well could. I fired a 9mm in a 10mm gun. 380 is pretty close to 9mm. You could also easily have bulet setback and ou already have a much smaller case so it would be a very bad thing if that happened.

You are absolutely right, advice taken. I do realize the seriousness on loading that .380 especially since I shoot mostly full auto.

It just so happened that I used Hornandy spray lube on that batch at the urging of Murphy's Law, and associated the ease of the handle due to the lube.

I submit myself to the mentoring of you and all the members that know a heck of a lot more than me. Please keep the corrections coming when I need them!

I always run every round thru my case gauge as a final safety net.

GioaJack
11-04-2010, 08:18
The smartest and safest thing you could do as you travel the path of your loading career is to stop taking advice from anyone called, 'Murphy's Law'. :whistling:

That's like asking me for marriage advice... it's not going to end well.

Jack

jmorris
11-04-2010, 09:03

That does the trick alright. I case gauge all of my competition ammo but with the brass sorters and case prep equipment I have, I don't bother with my machine gun ammo.

MrOldLude
11-04-2010, 10:08
Yeah, I typically don't grab other people's empties, as I like to have a known history on my loads. But naturally, from time to time, a stray gets through. Like a .380 when I'm shooting 9mm, and the occasional .40 the is easily caught during decapping, but is easy to grab when collecting.

Boxerglocker
11-04-2010, 10:29

I case gauge every single round myself, competition or otherwise. Yes it's a tedious job at times but a necessity IMHO. Though, it has gone a little easier since getting one of these:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//EGW_Case_Gage_m.jpg
I really need to get one for .45 ACP as well, still using the single for that caliber.

Kwesi
11-04-2010, 12:52
The smartest and safest thing you could do as you travel the path of your loading career is to stop taking advice from anyone called, 'Murphy's Law'. :whistling:

Jack

Too late Jack - he trained me :crying:

Kwesi
11-04-2010, 12:54
That does the trick alright. I case gauge all of my competition ammo but with the brass sorters and case prep equipment I have, I don't bother with my machine gun ammo.

Really; I'd of thought you would be even more concerned about the full auto rounds :shocked:

jmorris
11-04-2010, 14:35
Really; I'd of thought you would be even more concerned about the full auto rounds

I have brass sorters that will cull .380, 9X18 and 38 super from 9 X 19 and I also roll size all of my brass as well. Not a chance of the wrong one slipping by and getting into the reloading machine. Before I started roll sizing, the cases that had dings on the rim wouldn't pass the case gauge, they were put into the “play” bucket instead of being used in competition, always ran fine in the subguns. Case gauge is more of a mental thing for me now or to catch a jacked up primer. A malfunction goofing off is no big deal one that costs me a match is.

Colorado4Wheel
11-04-2010, 20:01
You are absolutely right, advice taken. I do realize the seriousness on loading that .380 especially since I shoot mostly full auto.

It just so happened that I used Hornandy spray lube on that batch at the urging of Murphy's Law, and associated the ease of the handle due to the lube.

I submit myself to the mentoring of you and all the members that know a heck of a lot more than me. Please keep the corrections coming when I need them!

Great, I just want you to be safe.