to cut or not to cut [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : to cut or not to cut

jimsfinns
11-03-2010, 09:06
Hi everyone, I have a Remington 870P that I ordered with an improved cylinder barrel and I had my local gunshop modify the barrel to accept RemChokes. Great gun, love it to death. Here is the issue-I have short arms for my size, so the synthetic stock is a bit long. I brought this up to the guys at the shop, and they suggest cutting the stock-not sure they can do that. Am I better off ordering a shorter stock? Or should I let them cut away?

cj5mrt
11-03-2010, 09:33
I'm not sure the synthetics can be cut down. I say get a Hogue youth stock.

Mike

DPris
11-03-2010, 10:02
870 synthetics are largely hollow, which means if you cut off the rear end you may have nothing left to anchor the buttpad screws into but air.
I doubt you'd find one that'd work.
Best bet would be order a shorter one.
Denis

samuse
11-03-2010, 11:06
Take the pad off and see if there is enough material to fasten the pad after you cut it.

I have cut down several synthetic Mossberg stocks. It's easy.

Mark a line all the way around the stock where you want it,
cut it off with a hacksaw,
lay a piece of rough sandpaper on a flat surface to "deck" the cut off end,
drill the pad screw holes deeper,
refit the pad with rough sandpaper, finish with smooth sandpaper,
put the pad back on,
enjoy.

Critias
11-03-2010, 12:56
Personally, I'd rather buy a new (adjustable) stock than just take a hacksaw or something to one.

jimsfinns
11-03-2010, 13:26
Unfortunately, we lawful gun owners in the People's Republic of new York may not be trusted with an adjustable stock lest we go berserk. I think I should look at a shorter synthetic stock with a pistol grip.

Critias
11-03-2010, 13:36
Unfortunately, we lawful gun owners in the People's Republic of new York may not be trusted with an adjustable stock lest we go berserk. I think I should look at a shorter synthetic stock with a pistol grip.
Huh. It never occurred to me there'd be a law specifically on the books about adjustable stocks.

At any rate, my general wish would be for a parts swap of some sort -- adjustable or just shorter -- instead of potentially flat-out ruining the one you've got, y'know?

mlyon55
11-03-2010, 13:37
I have seen it done not too hard. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. I think the hogue stocks are 1" shorter, that's a really good way to go for less than $80.

aippi
11-03-2010, 15:15
Proplem is that when you cut the stock down the recoil pad that came with it will no longer fit. Take the pad and look at it. See how it is made to fit into the stock. When you cut the stock down it gets smaller aswell as shorter and that pad will not fit.

jimsfinns
11-03-2010, 16:12
excellent point about the recoil pad. I'll have to give Remington a call and see what they have or recommend in a shorter stock with a pistol grip.
New York shares the same foolish fascination about the appearance of weapons that many other states do-the semi automatic AK I own from Arsenal Nevada (wonderful rifle) is legal with a fixed stock and without a bayonet lug-somehow it becomes evil and illegal with a bayonet lug and a pistol grip. It is quite insane but there it is.

jimsfinns
11-03-2010, 16:14
sorry, make that illegal with a bayonet lug and an adjustable stock. and the whole magazine capacity rule is just as stupid.

Victoriagotagun
11-03-2010, 17:30
I seriously doubt its illegal for you to have an adjustable stock on a pump shotgun in NY. That probably only applies to semi-auto rifles and shotguns.

Z71bill
11-03-2010, 18:03
13"

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=889792

12"

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=126882

You can buy just the stock (no forend) but it is the same price :dunno:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=122802

MajorD
11-03-2010, 18:08
an 870 as a pump does not fall under NY assault weapon statutes- modify away- I suggest a "youth" length speedfeed stock to address your length of pull-midway sells them I think

WiskyT
11-04-2010, 16:40
I think I should look at a shorter synthetic stock with a pistol grip.

If your trying to solve a problem due to short arms, a pistol grip will make it worse. Assuming the same length stock, the pistol grip version will be harder to use if you have short arms. With the PG, your shooting hand has to reach farther to the PG than the regular wrist of a standard stock.

I put a factory youth stock on my Mossberg and it worked great. The Mossbergs are worse for short arms because the forearm is farther away. We had 870's at work, and even with my 31" sleeve and concealable body armor, I had no problem. With a standard Mossberg 500, and wearing a Tshirt, I have to really stick the gun out to mount it without catching on my armpit/shirt

jimsfinns
11-04-2010, 16:57
That's interesting. I had not though of that issue with the PG. I have shot some Benellis with pistol grips that worked very well.

WiskyT
11-04-2010, 16:59
That's interesting. I had not though of that issue with the PG. I have shot some Benellis with pistol grips that worked very well.

Why do you want a short stock, do you have short arms?

jimsfinns
11-04-2010, 17:02
yep! love the 870, it is just that the standard stock is too long. The pistol grips help with control, especially with slugs.

WiskyT
11-04-2010, 17:08
Don't know what to say. I have a 17" neck and have to have the sleeves shhortened on my shirts. I definately have short arms and extensive expirience with 870's. I can snap them up just fine after I practiced a little. The Mossberg 500, I can make it work, but it's a lot of work. I never had a problem shooting slugs out of either gun. A shorter stock can definately make recoil WORSE.

It's hard for me to understand how you can reach the PG on a fullsize stock on a Benelli, but the standard 870 stock is too long.

FWIW, I never had any use for PG stock either, other than looks. Even when the were short enough for me, they added nothing.

Good luck.

aippi
11-04-2010, 17:09
I am 5'5" and I use the Speed Feed IV-S on my dedicated primary HD. It has a 13" LOP. One of the best fighting stocks out there. I am also a whimp so I have an R3 pad on it.

22highcaps
11-04-2010, 19:09
I am 5'5" and I use the Speed Feed IV-S on my dedicated primary HD. It has a 13" LOP. One of the best fighting stocks out there. I am also a whimp so I have an R3 pad on it.

I am not much taller than JD and I have the same setup and whole heartedly recommend it.

jimsfinns
11-06-2010, 10:00
Thanks, everyone. New question-I was talking to a few guys at the local gunshop and the subject of the plastic magazine follower in the 870 came up. the collective wisdom from the gunshop commandos is that I should replace the plastic follower with a steel piece. This is a new one for me-I've put my fair share of rounds through a browning BPS, an ithaca 37 and now the 870 and I've never had a problem with a magazine follower. Supposedly this part will break and bind the gun.
does anyone have an opinion on this?

WiskyT
11-06-2010, 11:23
Thanks, everyone. New question-I was talking to a few guys at the local gunshop and the subject of the plastic magazine follower in the 870 came up. the collective wisdom from the gunshop commandos is that I should replace the plastic follower with a steel piece. This is a new one for me-I've put my fair share of rounds through a browning BPS, an ithaca 37 and now the 870 and I've never had a problem with a magazine follower. Supposedly this part will break and bind the gun.
does anyone have an opinion on this?

So, you buy an 870 because it's the best SG out there for SD. It works when it absolutely has to. But in order for it to work, you have to change everything on it? Why buy it? That's not a poke at you, it's a poke at the people who sell plastic followers to owners of steel ones, people who sell steel ones to owners of plastic ones, and titanium nickle carbide scandium ones to people who have tried all of the others and need to spend money on something.

So, all those 870's in use at all those PD's, all the ones used in Viet Nam, with whatever follower came in them work fine, but yours is no good because "real operators" know that the one you already have is doomed to failure.

Grab a box of popcorn because the last time this subject came up it went about 4 pages or so...

jimsfinns
11-06-2010, 11:30
yes, it seems far fetched to me. followers are mechanical, and I guess they could break. if the damn thing ever breaks on me at the wrong time it will be time to re-learn the vertical butt stroke under stress. has anyone heard of this-it's new for me.