Home DSL service/E-mail ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home DSL service/E-mail ?

doneroman
11-03-2010, 10:52
Howdy techies,
we are currently on a service with ATT and e-mail with Yahoo/SBC @ $33 a month + taxes + fees. The advertisements on SBC e-mail are getting rediculous.

What is the most affordable swap we can make for reliable and affordable service?

kc8ykd
11-03-2010, 11:42
maybe switch to gmail.com ? free is generally pretty affordable, or are you looking to switch internet service providers and not just email providers?

you don't have to use yahoo mail if you don't want. and, you might want to look at the spam filter settings if you're seeing unusual amounts of spam messages getting through. when you see them, make sure to flag them as spam, that helps the filters to learn and in turn, helps everybody.

USAntigoon
11-03-2010, 14:25
Howdy techies,
we are currently on a service with ATT and e-mail with Yahoo/SBC @ $33 a month + taxes + fees. The advertisements on SBC e-mail are getting rediculous.

What is the most affordable swap we can make for reliable and affordable service?

I have the same service and you need to look into the spam filter settings.. I have quite some spam but it all goes into my spam folder.. Once in a while I do find some e-mails in the Spam which should have been there... The Spam filter is quite strong..

Your Control SpamGuard feature should be "checked" as "Automatically send suspected Spam to my Spam folder". Be also sure you set the POP & Forwarding feature to "don't POP Spam" otherwise it all will be downloaded into your desktop mailer..

Hope this helps

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2010, 15:21
maybe switch to gmail.com ? free is generally pretty affordable, or are you looking to switch internet service providers and not just email providers?

you don't have to use yahoo mail if you don't want. and, you might want to look at the spam filter settings if you're seeing unusual amounts of spam messages getting through. when you see them, make sure to flag them as spam, that helps the filters to learn and in turn, helps everybody.

Exactly.. just switch to Gmail...

IGF

kc8ykd
11-03-2010, 16:12
..Be also sure you set the POP & Forwarding feature to "don't POP Spam" otherwise it all will be downloaded into your desktop mailer..

Hope this helps

i learned this when i setup my phone to pop a yahoo account i've got. i couldn't figure out why spam wasn't showing up in the web interface but i was getting it all on my phone.

after i changed that setting, presto! no more spam to my phone.

(my phone pop's 2 yahoo accounts and uses activesync for a gmail account w/direct push)

solomansousana
11-03-2010, 16:52
I use a high speed cable modem for 28.00 a month

doneroman
11-09-2010, 20:47
Cool thanks all. :wavey: