para ordnance nite hawg BIG problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : para ordnance nite hawg BIG problem

devin21
11-03-2010, 11:10
Hey guys here is a video I made last night of my nite hawg firing without depressing the grip safety. Have any of you guys heard of this issue? I apoligize in advance for my video quality I'm using a canon rebel t2i which is great for pics, not so great on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIJ5syBlASY

GJ1981
11-03-2010, 11:35
Are you the original owner or was this pistol bought used? The arm on the GS could have broke or someone took a little too much off when adjusting for a more "sensitive" grip.

GammaDriver
11-03-2010, 11:50
That hammer isn't pushing back the beaver-tails' part of the safety, is it?

Anyway, good luck with them. My brother and I bought a new PO 1911 from them back in the 1990's, and we gave up after sending the pistol to them twice to make it shoot reliably.

I am very surprised that they are still in business.

devin21
11-03-2010, 12:31
I am the original owner and no the hammer isnt pushing back the grips safety. I just talked to both mike and chris in customer service and they asked me to ship it in on my dime and they will look at it and either repair or replace it.

drc767
11-03-2010, 12:43
I am the original owner and no the hammer isnt pushing back the grips safety. I just talked to both mike and chris in customer service and they asked me to ship it in on my dime and they will look at it and either repair or replace it.

That is customer service for ya.....I am sure they will ship it back to you on your dime, as well. You are looking a $100 in shipping fees for a simple fix. Take it to a local smith....

ravenkeeper98
11-03-2010, 13:22
Most likely the tab that blocks the trigger bar is slightly out of adjustment. When I replaced the one in my Norico 1911 with a Pachmeyer grip safety it would do the same thing. I had taken it to a gunsmith in town to install, but he said he was too busy to get to it for a while, showed me his bench and said this is how you do it, and let me do the fitting with his tools. Never believe that drop in really means drop in with 1911s. Well, I had to take it back out, and gently persuade the tab down a bit to make it block the trigger bar. Also, it looks like the spring pressure on yours maybe a little on the light side. The spring tension (sear spring) may need to be adjusted as well or maybe the problem as well. Just the part that pushes the grip safety out. Which I had to do as well, that was simple. Just a lil extra tweek to give it a lil more force pushing the grip safety out when not gripped. It should be an easy fix for them to do, just sucks they are making you pay to get it to them.

Quack
11-03-2010, 13:35
Couldn't tell, but was that the factory trigger in it?

devin21
11-03-2010, 14:00
Couldn't tell, but was that the factory trigger in it?

Yes it is the factory trigger

Quack
11-03-2010, 14:05
The tang/arm on the grip safety isn't blocking the trigger. I would strip the gun down to see if its too short, or if the relief clearance is too high. You could peen it a little to lengthen the arm.

knedrgr
11-03-2010, 14:16
The tang/arm on the grip safety isn't blocking the trigger. I would strip the gun down to see if its too short, or if the relief clearance is too high. You could peen it a little to lengthen the arm.

+1 on this.

ravenkeeper98
11-03-2010, 19:21

That is what I was trying to say with my bad terminology, thanks.

SouthpawShootr
11-03-2010, 19:34
Take it to a local smith....

Best advice. If you can't get them to cover shipping, you're better off getting a local guy to fix it. Really, I'd just get a new grip safety and have it fitted (as much as it needs to be - which probably isn't much). I've put a Wilson Combat beavertail in a P13.45 and all it required was just a few minutes of fitting (yeah, that was a drop-in part too). You can also get Para-Ord replacement parts from Brownells. Costs about $40. Add about $25 for a gunsmith install and you're back in business. Sucks that you can get them to stand behind their product.

How long have you had the gun and how much shooting has it seen (about)?

Sarge43
11-03-2010, 20:05
I've always wanted a warthog, but there is enough stuff like this out there with Para's that I've never taken it past "want" and made it "own". This is just another nail in that coffin.
I hope you get it figured out!
Good luck,
Sarge

SouthpawShootr
11-03-2010, 20:36
Well, the situation may be improving. Since Para's move to the states, they've put George Wedge in charge and he recognizes that there are (many) QC problems that need addressing. I'd like to see this improve. I have 3 Paras and they're decent, but nothing to write home about. Two I purchased new and a third was LN for the price of a RIA. The two high capacity guns both has problems that were solved with a new Wolff recoil spring and mag springs. The other was a single stack that has been satisfactory.

devin21
12-14-2010, 12:18
Hey guys just got off the phone with para and they didnt exactly tell me what the problem was but they are sending me a new nite hawg

Quack
12-14-2010, 12:27
Hey guys just got off the phone with para and they didnt exactly tell me what the problem was but they are sending me a new nite hawg

they probably didn't know what the problem was either :whistling:

Rinspeed
12-14-2010, 13:01

Sell it before you put any rounds through it. :whistling:

bac1023
12-14-2010, 13:44

:agree:

Para pretty much sucks.

knedrgr
12-14-2010, 21:58

Texas Bulldog
12-15-2010, 11:04
So let me get this straight....

Para has a problem with grip safety...

Customer contacts para

Para sends NEW gun to customer....

and following responses by members are to not shoot it and sell it because "Para pretty much sucks"

Interesting....

I have had problems with para firearms and their CS was seriously lacking... but if they sent me back a new gun that would renew my faith in the company i would think.

To the Original Poster... Make your own decision's and don't let brand hate persuade you otherwise.

zhix
12-15-2010, 14:15
If they sent me a new gun I probably would sell it first thing. I sold a GI Expert after they fixed it because I did not want to own any more Para products after the way they handled the situation with their customer disservice.

bobtail1911
12-15-2010, 15:17
My stepdad has one of these. It's ok. Definitely not my style. Sorry about your CS story though, they should ship on their dime for a problem such as this.

nolt
12-15-2010, 15:23
i agree with the 'sell it new in box' peeps

bac1023
12-15-2010, 16:58
So let me get this straight....

Para has a problem with grip safety...

Customer contacts para

Para sends NEW gun to customer....

and following responses by members are to not shoot it and sell it because "Para pretty much sucks"

Interesting....

I have had problems with para firearms and their CS was seriously lacking... but if they sent me back a new gun that would renew my faith in the company i would think.

To the Original Poster... Make your own decision's and don't let brand hate persuade you otherwise.

:upeyes:

Uh, I was referring to their products, not their customer service. Likewise, good or even great customer service doesn't make their products any better. If they sent me a new gun, I would give kudos to their service, not their product.

IMO, you get low value for the dollar with Para, much like Fusion. :whistling:

SIGShooter
12-15-2010, 17:25
If they sent me a new gun I probably would sell it first thing. I sold a GI Expert after they fixed it because I did not want to own any more Para products after the way they handled the situation with their customer disservice.

I agree…Sell it as soon as you get it.

I had an issue with my CQB that kept getting worse after every trip back to Wilson. I no longer have that gun. Nor do I have any Wilson products anymore.

SIGShooter
12-15-2010, 17:25

That's low...:whistling:

Texas Bulldog
12-15-2010, 20:40
:upeyes:

wow, really?... you are going that route huh?

its sad to see such knowledge in firearms trapped in a child.

You must work at a big box gun shop. Same attitude. Funny thing is, i have had more issues with my Nighthawk and Dan Wessons than either of my Fusion's.

but here is the difference between me and you that is very relevant to this para discussion.

just because i have had problems with Nighthawk and DW doesn't make them junk... i just got some red headed step children of the family.

nolt
12-15-2010, 20:44
nighthawk and dan wesson ARE junk what are you talking about?

:rofl:

bac1023
12-15-2010, 21:20
wow, really?... you are going that route huh?

its sad to see such knowledge in firearms trapped in a child.

You must work at a big box gun shop. Same attitude. Funny thing is, i have had more issues with my Nighthawk and Dan Wessons than either of my Fusion's.

but here is the difference between me and you that is very relevant to this para discussion.

just because i have had problems with Nighthawk and DW doesn't make them junk... i just got some red headed step children of the family.

Sorry man, I don't work in a big gun shop or any gun shop, for that matter.

You started the nonsense and I finished it. That's that.

By the way, I didn't say Fusion was junk, though a couple here have good reason to think they are. Mine has been trouble free and is acceptable quality for the $1200 I paid a few years back. What I said, since you obviously didn't read it, was that they're low value for the dollar. If I paid $1500-$2000 and got what I have now, I'd be disappointed.

Furthermore, I never had an issue with either of my Paras, but they're certainly built with lower quality materials than their competition. They also charge a good penny for what you get in return.

kkramer673
12-16-2010, 16:19
Having owned their pistols and dealt with Wilson Combat for a number of years, I don't recall hearing a comments as negative as this one about their weapons or their customer service. They are generally regarded as top shelf in both.

GammaDriver
12-16-2010, 16:59
Having owned their pistols and dealt with Wilson Combat for a number of years, I don't recall hearing a comments as negative as this one about their weapons or their customer service. They are generally regarded as top shelf in both.

Having paid attention to numerous weapons forums, I have a somewhat opposite opinion of them. A Wilson is an investment in beauty, but with this many years' worth of reported malfunctions, most of the people I know regard them as things to fondle and show, but not to shoot and go. I have no doubt that Wilsons can be sent away to be tuned to be awesome pistols, but if I'm going to pay the extra cost of tuning for a .45, I'll just buy a Springfield to avoid the extra costs of Wilsons and Kimbers products.

That's the way I've felt after all the reports I've read of Wilsons not running right over the years. I'm sure they have pistols that run fine when new, too, but it's not like the bad reports are very difficult to find.

kkramer673
12-16-2010, 18:15
Doesn't sound like GammaDriver has probably ever actually owned a Wilson Combat weapon or dealt with their customer service people directly.

dreis454
12-16-2010, 18:25
I tend to agree with the sell as NIB. I never owned one but from what I've read,I never will.
After you sell it,look @ STI OR buy TWO Glock 36s............

HAIL CAESAR
12-16-2010, 18:29

Para pretty much sucks.

IMO, you get low value for the dollar with Para, much like Fusion.

Oh, no you didn't!!:faint:

bac1023
12-16-2010, 19:07

Oh, no you didn't!!:faint:

Yeah, I shouldn't have, but it was a spur of the moment sort of thing. :dunno:

It was dumb, I admit.

GammaDriver
12-16-2010, 19:11
Doesn't sound like GammaDriver has probably ever actually owned a Wilson Combat weapon or dealt with their customer service people directly.

I'm sure their customer service is great - it has to be to support the prices they want.

You're right, I don't own one - nor would I buy a new one until the reports of problems go away. Customer service, to me, is selling a pistol that is around 98% or 99% the first time it goes out the door. I know Wilson isn't near that.

bac1023
12-16-2010, 19:16
You're right, I don't own one - nor would I buy a new one until the reports of problems go away. Customer service, to me, is selling a pistol that is around 98% or 99% the first time it goes out the door. I know Wilson isn't near that.

If you never owned one, how would you know they aren't 98-99% out of the box?

I've had two of them for a number of years and both have been 100%. Wilson builds a quality pistol.

HAIL CAESAR
12-16-2010, 19:42
No worries Brian. I, of all people, know that sometimes your patience and decorum gets tossed out a window.:rofl:

bac1023
12-16-2010, 21:06
No worries Brian. I, of all people, know that sometimes your patience and decorum gets tossed out a window.:rofl:

I'm working on it, my friend. :embarassed:

HAIL CAESAR
12-16-2010, 21:36

I'm working on it, my friend. :embarassed:

Dang it Brian, Sometimes I can't write anything correctly.

When I said "I, of all people, know that sometimes your patience and decorum gets tossed out a window."

"Your Patience" was meant to mean.."everyone's patience and decorum". As in it happens to everybody, especially me.

Was not meant to mean it just you, or directed towards you personally.

I am the one that is embarrassed if you thought I meant it towards you personally.

bac1023
12-17-2010, 05:09
Dang it Brian, Sometimes I can't write anything correctly.

When I said "I, of all people, know that sometimes your patience and decorum gets tossed out a window."

"Your Patience" was meant to mean.."everyone's patience and decorum". As in it happens to everybody, especially me.

Was not meant to mean it just you, or directed towards you personally.

I am the one that is embarrassed if you thought I meant it towards you personally.

Al, I didn't take it that way at all, but thank you.

lito820
12-18-2010, 12:59
I am really glad I came upon this thread...I would like to share my recent experience with Customer Service at Para USA. First let me start from my initial purchase. Back in early October I purchased a WHX1045R safe queen from a friend who was the original owner but never shot it, it literally went from gun shop to safe. He owned it for about 4 years and decided he wanted to sell to fund an AR purchase. On my first trip to the range the gun had some sort of issue and wouldn't fire. My brother has the same gun, but in stainless and took a look at it for me when we got home. It seemed there was an issue with the plunger and spring. On Monday I called PARA, they sent me an RA# and asked me to ship it (on my dime). The gun was with them for 5 weeks, but it was worth the wait. They replaced the entire slide assembly under warranty (even though I am not the original owner). They even replaced my night sites for brand new ones!!!

Now, if this isn't good customer service, then I don't know what is...

I have to thank Michale and Travis for putting up with all of my annoying calls to check on status and for making sure my gun got back to me ASAP.

I couldn't be happier with their service and I will be purchasing a TTR from them as soon as my Tax return hits the account...

Make your decision based on your own experience, don't listen to the brand haters or 1911 elitist...

Good Luck!!!

zhix
12-19-2010, 12:03
Perhaps Para has gotten better on CS but I will certainly never buy another one of their guns and that is based on my personal experience.

When it comes to brand bashing of Kimber, Colt, Para, etc. and/or flag waving of SA, STI, etc. I do not drink anyones kool-aid.

Rinspeed
12-19-2010, 12:35
My not liking them has absolutely nothing to do with customer service. :whistling: