We have the General Assembly back! Now what...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : We have the General Assembly back! Now what...?

Grayson
11-03-2010, 16:16
So with a Republican Government, and an "NRA Endorsed" :whistling: Governor in Raleigh...if there's ANY chance of improving some of NC's inane gun laws, this is it!

I've already written my Rep, and plan to on my brand new Senator :supergrin: shortly, on the "Emergency Powers" law which the State is actually being sued over. A law that gives the Governor carte blance to suspend the 2A for ANY kind of "emergency" seems like a good place to start...

nursetim
11-03-2010, 17:17
Reintroduce the repeal of the pistol purchase permit, maybe it will fly this time. Maybe it will get done before I get back there. That would be grand.

Grayson
11-03-2010, 21:05
We'll work on it! :thumbsup:

GRNC's Paul Valone says (I think) that it'll be better to let the Courts strike down the "Emergency Powers" law, and there's already a lawsuit against it. Interesting times coming up, and for once I'm hoping it might be the GOOD interesting!

WiskyT
11-04-2010, 18:18
Concealed carry in businesses that serve alcohol. CC in places that charge admission. I don't drink, but am suposed to leave my gun in the car when I go out for dinner. I can carry my gun in Walmart, but not in a movie theater? Dumb provisions.

Bogey
12-02-2010, 19:57
Parades and public gatherings as well I hope.

Short Bus
12-13-2010, 03:45
I will second the two previous post. I hate breaking the law when I go eat dinner.

Derek02100
12-15-2010, 19:37
I will be in Raleigh in January for the inauguration of the new general assembly! Our family friend Rayne Brown was elected in November and took the seat of Hugh Holliman house Majority leader.

What I would like to see is a change in the concealed carry laws to allow carrying in more places. Also a revisit of the Castle Doctrine bill!

I hope our great state becomes more firearm friendly!

+P Shooter
12-22-2010, 10:38
Allowing concealed carry in restaurants that get less than 50% of
their revenue from alcohol sales would be great. I also hope they
eliminate the duty to retreat requirement from the castle doctrine.

NC Bullseye
12-22-2010, 12:47
Allowing concealed carry in restaurants that get less than 50% of
their revenue from alcohol sales would be great. I also hope they
eliminate the duty to retreat requirement from the castle doctrine.

In NC there is no duty to retreat before using deadly force if the victim is on his or her own premises, or on his or her business premises, or is at home.

+P Shooter
12-22-2010, 15:18
I apologize for not making myself clear. I meant eliminating the
duty to retreat in areas other than the ones that you just mentioned
NC Bullseye.

Jeff82
12-22-2010, 15:26
+1 on better NC gun law!

Beware Owner
12-22-2010, 15:28
And I hope it starts a trend.

ncglock19
01-05-2011, 08:25
I would love to see the Bill passed that allows you to have your gun (locked and out of site) in your vehicle, no matter where you are (work, etc.). Would save a lot of time going back home to get the 19 to go to the range.

Also, being able to carry where you are charged admission would be great, too. Theaters, museums, etc.

nc19

1911gobang
01-13-2011, 01:02
AMEN on castle doctrine, restaurants and admission charging venues, parades, and gatherings, and eliminating the "emergency" thingy.

I know there were quite a few reps in the LAST gen. assy. that opposed 2nd amendment ANYTHING. Ross (dem, Wake County) was the main obstacle on the last attempt of castle doc.

I also agree with "less than 50% of revenue from alcohol sales".

The main thing we have to do is CALL, WRITE, and EMAIL them!!!!

"We shall not go quietly into the night"..... Bill (something-or-other) from Independence Day

Nyper
01-13-2011, 13:35
I would love to see the Bill passed that allows you to have your gun (locked and out of site) in your vehicle, no matter where you are (work, etc.). Would save a lot of time going back home to get the 19 to go to the range.

Also, being able to carry where you are charged admission would be great, too. Theaters, museums, etc.

nc19

Please explain?

Are you saying that if you have a CCW and are going to the movies (where they charge admission), you can't leave the firearm in a locked trunk while you're in the movies?

Or are you only saying that you don't like the fact that your employer can tell you not to have weapons on the premises?

ncglock19
01-13-2011, 21:15
Please explain?

Are you saying that if you have a CCW and are going to the movies (where they charge admission), you can't leave the firearm in a locked trunk while you're in the movies?

Or are you only saying that you don't like the fact that your employer can tell you not to have weapons on the premises?

Nyper -

To clarify, I'm talking about my employer (among others) not allowing guns anywhere on the premises. I'm not asking to carry indoors, but we're not even allowed to have them in vehicles if they are on site.

Think about it, you can bring your gym clothes in your care if you want to go to the gym before or after work. You can bring your softball gear for a game you go to after work. But if you want to go to the range after work, you have to go back to your house to get your gear.

There was a Bill that got tabled in committee here in NC last session that allowed for guns in cars provided they are secure. Love those liberals.

Reference House Bill 1133 "Firearm in Locked Motor Vehicle/Parking Lot." You can search on it to see the details. First statement in the Bill (forgive the caps)

1 A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
2 AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT NO BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, OR
3 EMPLOYER SHALL PROHIBIT THE TRANSPORTATION OR STORAGE OF A
4 FIREARM OR AMMUNITION WHEN THE FIREARM AND AMMUNITION ARE
5 LOCKED OUT OF SIGHT IN A MOTOR VEHICLE, TO PROVIDE THAT A
6 BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, OR EMPLOYER IS LIABLE TO ANYONE
7 INJURED AS A RESULT OF AN UNLAWFUL PROHIBITION, TO PROVIDE THAT A
8 PERSON MAY BRING A CIVIL ACTION TO ENFORCE THE RIGHT TO
9 TRANSPORT AND STORE A FIREARM AND AMMUNITION IN A LOCKED
10 MOTOR VEHICLE ON THE PROPERTY OF A BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL
11 ENTERPRISE, OR EMPLOYER, AND TO PROVIDE THAT A BUSINESS,
12 COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE, OR EMPLOYER IS NOT CIVILLY LIABLE FOR
13 DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANOTHER PERSON'S ACTIONS INVOLVING A
14 FIREARM TRANSPORTED OR STORED IN A LOCKED VEHICLE IN A MANNER
15 THAT COMPLIES WITH STATE LAW.

nc19

Derek02100
01-13-2011, 23:48
AMEN on castle doctrine, restaurants and admission charging venues, parades, and gatherings, and eliminating the "emergency" thingy.

Yeah Its kind of stupid that we are not allowed to carry when a state of emergency is declared... Um that's when you really should carry.

If they declare an emergency when the zombies attack... law or not my AR and tac shotgun are coming with me everywhere! :)

at_liberty
01-14-2011, 09:24
Carry in restaurants serving alcohol will never pass as long as gun advocates want to reserve the right to drink publicly while armed. Those who want to be able to carry are not always telling the whole story. They refuse to separate drinking and carrying. I think drinking while CCW is irresponsible and wouldn't blame someone for being concerned about me as a safety threat.

rdanfox
01-14-2011, 09:41
Carry in restaurants serving alcohol will never pass as long as gun advocates want to reserve the right to drink publicly while armed. Those who want to be able to carry are not always telling the whole story. They refuse to separate drinking and carrying. I think drinking while CCW is irresponsible and wouldn't blame someone for being concerned about me as a safety threat.

"any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-
32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state
property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);"

"It is unlawful for the permittee to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol,
or at any time while the permittee has remaining in his or her body, any alcohol, or a
controlled substance previously consumed. However, a permittee does not violate this law if a controlled substance in his or her blood was lawfully obtained and taken in
therapeutically appropriate amounts. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)"

These are two different laws. Repealing the no carry into establishments that serve alcohol would still not allow legal consumption while armed.

at_liberty
01-14-2011, 10:23
"any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-
32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state
property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);"

"It is unlawful for the permittee to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol,
or at any time while the permittee has remaining in his or her body, any alcohol, or a
controlled substance previously consumed. However, a permittee does not violate this law if a controlled substance in his or her blood was lawfully obtained and taken in
therapeutically appropriate amounts. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)"

These are two different laws. Repealing the no carry into establishments that serve alcohol would still not allow legal consumption while armed.

Different in SC.

rdanfox
01-14-2011, 11:01
Different in SC.

I'm not so sure. This is from the SLED website.

SECTION 23-31-400. Definitions; unlawful use of firearm; violations.

(A) As used in this article:

(1) “Use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm.

(2) “Serious bodily injury” means a physical condition which creates a substantial risk of death, serious personal disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ.

(B) It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to use a firearm in this State.

(C) A person who violates the provisions of subsection (B) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than two years.

(D) This article does not apply to persons lawfully defending themselves or their property.I just wonder how the (D) section in red applies to carrying concealed? Also if it was legal to drink and carry wouldn’t there be an exception for ccw holders with a limit to the amount of alcohol.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you; we're all working towards the same goal here. I just think that people wanting to carry into restaurants aren’t all about wanting to carry and drink, that’s all.

Derek02100
01-14-2011, 14:37
I just emailed and called the offices of Senator Burr, Senator Hagan, and Congressman Coble and asked them to NOT support any Federal Gun Control Legislation. Once our new state government takes over I will be soliciting them regularly to ease the restrictions in NC!

1911gobang
01-14-2011, 17:46
AMEN Derek!!!
We gotta keep their inboxes FULL!!

WiskyT
01-14-2011, 20:58

Name one gun advocate who is claiming the right to drink and carry in public?

at_liberty
01-15-2011, 06:56
Name one gun advocate who is claiming the right to drink and carry in public?
Gun Rights of SC. The bullies were out in force on their Yahoo forum, when suggesting that those carrying in restaurants should not drink.

WiskyT
01-15-2011, 09:22
Gun Rights of SC. The bullies were out in force on their Yahoo forum, when suggesting that those carrying in restaurants should not drink.

Who are they? Can you link where they advocate alcohol consumption and firarms carry?

rdanfox
01-15-2011, 12:31
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012/bills/3292.htm

This seems to be a good start for you guys in SC

One of the best parts is that it removes the restaurant carry restriction while specifically prohibiting drinking.

at_liberty
01-15-2011, 18:04
Who are they? Can you link where they advocate alcohol consumption and firarms carry?
I didn't take notes and am not accepting assignments. You are welcome to subscribe and search on your own. I know a name but wouldn't cite it here. You'll find it easily enough.

WiskyT
01-15-2011, 18:19
I didn't take notes and am not accepting assignments. You are welcome to subscribe and search on your own. I know a name but wouldn't cite it here. You'll find it easily enough.

Okay, so I'll stand by my point that there are no 2A groups advocating drinking and carrying.

This "gun rights" group you referenced sounds about like calling the westboro baptist church a Baptists church.

at_liberty
01-15-2011, 18:23
Okay, so I'll stand by my point that there are no 2A groups advocating drinking and carrying.

This "gun rights" group you referenced sounds about like calling the westboro baptist church a Baptists church.
Demanding someone prove a negative is a logical fallacy. There is no correct answer, because you already decided to be a bully. See GrassRoots of South Carolina on Yahoo Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scfirearms/).

WiskyT
01-15-2011, 18:37
Demanding someone prove a negative is a logical fallacy. There is no correct answer, because you already decided to be a bully. See GrassRoots of South Carolina on Yahoo Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scfirearms/).

How am I a bully? I asked you to point out the group so I could see it for myself. You said "no", so I pointed that out. Then you do post a link. Really, I don't know WTF you are talking about. You post a wierd post about how people who want carry in establishments that serve alcohol really want to drink and carry. I advocate carry in alcohol serving establishments and don't even drink. Then you call me a bully because I asked a few questions about your post. You play fast and loose with reading peoples' minds and then call me a bully. It's comical really.

I'm going to check out the link you did post and see if I can figure any more out.

WiskyT
01-15-2011, 18:40
Okay, the 2A group you referenced in the link is just a discussion group open to the public at large. So anything you read there is specifically disowned in this pre-amble.

The scfirearms discussion list is open to the public and is NOT restricted to members of GrassRoots South Carolina.

at_liberty
01-15-2011, 18:44
Okay, the 2A group you referenced in the link is just a discussion group open to the public at large. So anything you read there is specifically disowned in this pre-amble.
That is just the discussion group of the organization directly involved in legislation in Columbia, often writing much of it. That is an example of how you are not going to allow any answer except the one you like.

WiskyT
01-15-2011, 19:00
That is just the discussion group of the organization directly involved in legislation in Columbia, often writing much of it. That is an example of how you are not going to allow any answer except the one you like.

Right, I just went to the website of GRSC and found NOTHING advocating the legalization of gun carrying by persons who had consumed alcohol. I read through three years of legislative issues they were advocating for and any positions they had on pending legislation and found nothing you alluded to. Maybe I missed it with my jaunticed bully's viewpoint.:upeyes: