Crimp Die for .357 SIG? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crimp Die for .357 SIG?

Jim B in CO
11-03-2010, 19:25
I'm going to start reloading the .357 SIG. I see Midway sells the Lee 3-die set. For other calibers I usually just buy the Lee Deluxe 4-die set but it seems such a thing doesn't exist for the SIG. (I'm guessing because it's a bottleneck cartridge.) Should I buy the factory crimp die in addition to the three die set?

BTW, I'm planning on using a carbide .40 S&W die to resize the body of the case and then use the steel .357 die to try and get around lubing the case. Does this work well?

OkieGunNut
11-03-2010, 23:02
I use the RCBS set and it has two dies. When I load lead rounds I expand with a RCBS 9mm expander. For the lead rounds I use the Lee Factory Crimp die as it really reduces the group size, to about what the jacketed rounds will do. It seems to increase the group size with jacketed bullets.
As to the 40 carbide setup, don't know. Now that you have brought it back up I may toy with it and see. I don't have a problem using RCBS lube in their size die and afterward I rub the lube off of the cases with a towel, the whole batch at one time.

Jim B in CO
11-03-2010, 23:06
For the lead rounds I use the Lee Factory Crimp die as it really reduces the group size, to about what the jacketed rounds will do. It seems to increase the group size with jacketed bullets.
Sounds like I need to buy the Factory Crimp die and do some experimenting. :thumbsup:

coachg
11-05-2010, 10:12
The Lee FCD for 357 Sig works very well as does the 40 S&W sizer. No need to lube the cases if you do it that way.

The most important part of loading 357 Sig is the bullet. Fred has given us a list of all the ones that work well. Should be flat point or truncated cone.

fredj338
11-05-2010, 12:18
I have no issues w/ the Dillon dies in 357sig. It's about proper die setup, neck tension & bullet choice. With good neck tension, the TC works fine. Check you expander dia, no mor ethan 0.352" works for me, slight bell at the mouth, finish w/ the TC.
I haven't tried the LFCD for the 357sig. It is diff than their other dies, more like their rifle CFD. In my testing w/ the 45acp, no appreciable accuracy gained w/ lead bullets but a noticeable accuracy LOSS using plated bullets & the LFCD, YMMV.