What is the CLEANEST powder? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is the CLEANEST powder?

wrx04
11-03-2010, 20:28
I've loaded and shot about 700 rounds of .45ACP now, all with unique and MG FMJ bullets. They have worked perfect (only 2 or 3 weak loads that i knew about), but they seem a little dirty compared to factory ammo. Is there ammo that is clean, but still good? I did order an 8lb jug of unique so i'll be rockin' with that for a while, but is there a better option?

idahoglock36
11-03-2010, 20:34
I shot a bunch with Unique today. Not really that dirty....but it was with lead. For super clean try WST or the VV powders 320-340.

IndyGunFreak
11-03-2010, 20:38
I shot a bunch with Unique today. Not really that dirty....but it was with lead. For super clean try WST or the VV powders 320-340.

VV is very clean, but typically costs quite a bit more than the others..... .45 I'd go w/ WST.. .Fred has posted .45 loads w/ WST here on plenty of occasions, I'm sure if you ask him, he'll give you some info.

Boxerglocker
11-03-2010, 20:45
WST is very clean provided you use the correct amount. If your going for a soft recoiling load you may not necessarily burn all the powder to it's potential. What are you loading Unique to right now and where is that in the range? If mid-range as little as a 0.1 bump may make a significant difference in how clean it burns.

Bob2223
11-03-2010, 20:46
I've loaded and shot about 700 rounds of .45ACP now, all with unique and MG FMJ bullets. They have worked perfect (only 2 or 3 weak loads that i knew about), but they seem a little dirty compared to factory ammo. Is there ammo that is clean, but still good? I did order an 8lb jug of unique so i'll be rockin' with that for a while, but is there a better option?

It depends, Unique burns cleaner at higher pressure or above mid range to upper end loads. For target loads I think WST is hard to beat for a clean burn.
It just depends on what your wanting to do with your 45's .

Bob

n2extrm
11-03-2010, 20:54
Give BP/muzzle loaders a try, everything else will seem clean.

Seriously though, WST is pretty clean and works great in 45.

GioaJack
11-03-2010, 21:07
Baby powder, burns clean with very little recoil.

Jack

EL_NinO619
11-03-2010, 21:11
I could not restrain myself. I heard WTF cleans up really good. So good you will not even notice the chamber is still on your gun. ( that because it flew off 3 lanes over) I am ordering a keg on Friday..

wrx04
11-03-2010, 21:18
WST is very clean provided you use the correct amount. If your going for a soft recoiling load you may not necessarily burn all the powder to it's potential. What are you loading Unique to right now and where is that in the range? If mid-range as little as a 0.1 bump may make a significant difference in how clean it burns.

Hmmm....lots of guys favor WST. Im definitely gonna give that a shot. The reason i was hesitant to order it was because none of the reloading books i have publish its data.

I've been loading unique to 6.0gr. Definitely mid-range. Maybe ill bump the unique to 6.1 or 6.2 and see if it cleans up.

Jack, thanks for the advice.....smart***:supergrin:

XDRoX
11-03-2010, 21:28
Hmmm....lots of guys favor WST. Im definitely gonna give that a shot. The reason i was hesitant to order it was because none of the reloading books i have publish its data.

I've been loading unique to 6.0gr. Definitely mid-range. Maybe ill bump the unique to 6.1 or 6.2 and see if it cleans up.

Jack, thanks for the advice.....smart***:supergrin:

I use WST in 45, 38spl, and 9mm. Very clean and works great. It's nice to be able to buy one powder and use it in all my loads.

Boxerglocker
11-03-2010, 21:54
I use WST in 45, 38spl, and 9mm. Very clean and works great. It's nice to be able to buy one powder and use it in all my loads.

I thought you were just going to buy a few pounds of whatever was cheap on sale, mix it in a bucket and relabel it WTF???:whistling:

ilgunguygt
11-03-2010, 22:12
I found 700x to be a clean burning powder, but it doenst meter worth a crap. I finally settled on AA#2 for 45acp lead bullet loads. Its not the cleanest but towards the top of its loading range it does clean up much better than Unique. And it meters worlds better.

Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.

ilgunguygt
11-03-2010, 22:13
I found 700x to be a clean burning powder, but it doenst meter worth a crap. I finally settled on AA#2 for 45acp lead bullet loads. Its not the cleanest but towards the top of its loading range it does clean up much better than Unique. And it meters worlds better.

Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.:rofl:

IndyGunFreak
11-04-2010, 01:30
I thought you were just going to buy a few pounds of whatever was cheap on sale, mix it in a bucket and relabel it WTF???:whistling:

His reloading manual says it's not safe to mix WST w/ any other powder, so he erred on the side of caution, and decided against it.. ;)

IGF

shotgunred
11-04-2010, 04:43
I have several open containers that I don't really use. I could pour them into a single container and forward. If we all did this he wouldn't have to order any powder for years! Who else has some miscellaneous powders laying around that they can donate?

For clean burning use VV powders.

PhantomF4E
11-04-2010, 12:30
2 Cents in for VV N320 is my favorite powder for 9mm. Pricey , yup. Worth it !!

Fire_Medic
11-04-2010, 12:45
Solo 1K burns clean in 45 when I have used it with FMJ too. Going to be trying some WSF in the very near future.

ron59
11-04-2010, 13:28
Solo 1K burns clean in 45 when I have used it with FMJ too. Going to be trying some WSF in the very near future.

Haven't used it with those calibers, but have used both Solo and WSF in 9mm. I think Solo is a little cleaner.

fredj338
11-04-2010, 13:29
It depends, Unique burns cleaner at higher pressure or above mid range to upper end loads. For target loads I think WST is hard to beat for a clean burn.
It just depends on what your wanting to do with your 45's .

Bob
Very true. WST is super clean throughout it's useful vel range, which gets you to full power loads in the 45acp.:supergrin:

MoNsTeR
11-04-2010, 13:30
Vv n310

(edit: the GT forum software refuses to allow me to capitalize the above)

dla
11-04-2010, 13:38

Nope, not until you finish up that 8lbs :)

But honestly, why do you care? If you can get used to 8lbs of arguably the dirtiest powder ever, anything else you use will seem "clean".

But I honestly think folks are wasting time worrying about powder cleanliness. It doesn't mean squat. Neither does most leading. It's best not to fuss about trying to fix things that don't matter.

PCJim
11-04-2010, 13:45
W231 is another versatile powder that will seem much cleaner than Unique. Although I have not used any of the VV powders, they do have a reputation for being the cleanest burning - they'll keep both your chamber and your wallet clean. :cool:

IndyGunFreak
11-04-2010, 13:49
Vv n310

(edit: the GT forum software refuses to allow me to capitalize the above)

It actually will now that you've added the edit..lol

You just can't only have Capital letters. Once you type a few lower case, it will let you go all caps.

Hoser
11-04-2010, 14:03
N310 and Clays.

dwhite53
11-04-2010, 14:50
Clays and Universal. Clays is real clean in light .38 Special loads. Should do the same in .45 ACP.

Universal is much cleaner than Unique. It seems cleaner than Unique in lighter loads. Covers about the same load range.

All the Best,
D. White

jmorris
11-04-2010, 15:09
I have used dozens of powders in 45 the two cleanest have been VV N310 and N320. Hell, they don’t even fog the powder measure when left to sit for months.

Unique or 231 shouldn't be used in the same sentence as clean, although they used to be worse than they are now.

aalmcc4
11-04-2010, 19:17
I've found that Titegroup is pretty clean.

njl
11-04-2010, 19:28
Universal in .45acp is either very dirty (due to incomplete combustion) or pretty harsh in recoil. Unless you're a recoil junky, I'd go with WST. It's like Clays, but less smoke and can easily make major PF if you want.

bballer182
11-04-2010, 20:30
Here lately I have been fond of WTF though, as was mentioned above. Its easy to acquire, simply dump whats left of all your powders together and mix real good. I use my wifes KitchenAid mixer when I do it, for proper powder mixture. You should also never load it without a Lee Factory Crimp die, otherwise it could be catastrophic.:rofl:

I've found that when i load with the WTF that it doesn't meter all that well so what i have been doing is mixing it with a little baby powder (2:1 to be exact) and using the wife's blender on high for 1 minute per batch. Then a really nice tight deep roll crimp on a 1.0" OAL seals the deal for my .40!

FLSlim
11-04-2010, 20:30
I'm not sure how we should "measure" how dirty a powder is, but I don't have a big problem with Unique. After time at the range, I clean my guns regardless of the powders used.

Fire_Medic
11-04-2010, 20:34
Haven't used it with those calibers, but have used both Solo and WSF in 9mm. I think Solo is a little cleaner.

Love both in 9mm, Solo for light plinkers and WSF for good full power training ammo.

fredj338
11-04-2010, 21:09
I'm not sure how we should "measure" how dirty a powder is, but I don't have a big problem with Unique. After time at the range, I clean my guns regardless of the powders used.

My definition of "dirty" is when it leaves unburned powder in th action or blowing back in my face. Most medium burners, above W231, will burn "dirty" if you are trying to download them. Run most powders at the vel/pressure range they are designed for & they all burn completely. Some, like BE or Unique, will leave more carbon behind than others, that would be "dirty". Some, like TG or W231, smoke quite a bit w/ lead bullets. It's just about finidng what works for the application you are trying to achieve.:dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
11-05-2010, 06:01
Dirty. I just get a kick about worrying about Dirty. Like Fred said match the powder to proper pressure and most powders will burn completely. If you are downloading a slow powder then pick a faster powder to reach that velocity. Dirty is so relative it's hard to even comment about it properly. I have to use a scrapper to remove the lube build up from my gun when I clean it ever month or so. Big deal, it still works. Only time I have seen powder "dirt" cause a issue was when it was so horribly downloaded it didn't burn a lot of the powder and locked up the action on a revolver.

Hoser
11-05-2010, 11:46
I base my version of clean is how much gunk that is left behind. I often shoot revos in competition and gunk is a very bad thing. One or two little flecks of anything can tie up the works on a revo with a 4 lb tuned trigger.

CanyonMan
11-05-2010, 12:20
VV powders and WST are clean burners.

CM

GioaJack
11-05-2010, 12:51
I base my version of clean is how much gunk that is left behind. I often shoot revos in competition and gunk is a very bad thing. One or two little flecks of anything can tie up the works on a revo with a 4 lb tuned trigger.

Hozer may be no bigger than a .38 Special loaded with a wadcutter but he knows his way around guns and loading.

Indeed, in the world of gaming a 'dirty' powder can tie up a 'race' style in a New York second. It could be said that true competition gun have no tolerance for anything other than tight tolerances. Burn clean and you'll keep shooting.

Guns intended for social encounters are a different matter entirely however. If your duty gun or carry gun is so temperamental that a so called dirty powder, such as Unique, ties it up you either need to undo the 'custom tightening' you paid big bucks for or find a gun that will function when constantly exposed to real world conditions and environment.

Jack

ravenkeeper98
11-05-2010, 13:23
My first ever loads was with Universal, was very dirty and unburnt flakes all over my arms, but then again I loaded them on the way light side, was unsure since it was my first reloading experiment. The slide would not always cycle, that's how light the loads were. I bumped up the load to about .3 under max and the Universal burned quite nice and clean. It was a .45 ACP with 200gr Rainier Plated RN with 6.4gr Universal

fredj338
11-05-2010, 13:45
My first ever loads was with Universal, was very dirty and unburnt flakes all over my arms, but then again I loaded them on the way light side, was unsure since it was my first reloading experiment. The slide would not always cycle, that's how light the loads were. I bumped up the load to about .3 under max and the Universal burned quite nice and clean. It was a .45 ACP with 200gr Rainier Plated RN with 6.4gr Universal
AS you have learned, this is true of ALL medium burners, all powders really. Run them up where they are designed to run & they burn completely. Run them much below midrange & you will have issues. If you want light loads, go w/ fast powders, gamer super light loads, uberfast powders.

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 07:49

I think about this everytime a magazine says how reliable a revolver is compared to a pistol. IF you get something in just the right place on a revolver it's not pretty. I have only heard of this happening with unburnt powder. Don't see why something else couldn't do the same thing.

byf43
11-06-2010, 09:27
My definition of "dirty" is when it leaves unburned powder in th action or blowing back in my face. Most medium burners, above W231, will burn "dirty" if you are trying to download them. Run most powders at the vel/pressure range they are designed for & they all burn completely. Some, like BE or Unique, will leave more carbon behind than others, that would be "dirty". Some, like TG or W231, smoke quite a bit w/ lead bullets. It's just about finidng what works for the application you are trying to achieve.:dunno:

Thanks for that post, fred!!!
I've been reloading for over 30 years, and never could understand why there was such a 'big deal' over 'dirty' or 'clean' powders. (You gotta clean that firearm after you shoot it, anyway!)
One guy at my range tried to explain it as soot or how hard it was to clean a particular firearm after shooting.

Using the way you explained 'dirty', the worst powder I've ever come across was SR4759 and/or Unique in .38 Special loads.

fredj338
11-06-2010, 23:22
Thanks for that post, fred!!!
I've been reloading for over 30 years, and never could understand why there was such a 'big deal' over 'dirty' or 'clean' powders. (You gotta clean that firearm after you shoot it, anyway!)
One guy at my range tried to explain it as soot or how hard it was to clean a particular firearm after shooting.

Using the way you explained 'dirty', the worst powder I've ever come across was SR4759 and/or Unique in .38 Special loads.
SOme powders do produce more carbon; BE & old Unique come to mind, but I have yet to come across one that doesn't clean up w/ a patch & solvent at worse. BTW, Unique runs fine in 38sp, but better at the very top end. It's a good choice for 38sp+P loads.