Wilson CQB best light mount [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wilson CQB best light mount

Spiffums
11-03-2010, 21:41
I know I tread on the edge of heresy here but besides the railed frame Tactical LE they have..... what is the best way to put a light rail on a Wilson?

I am not 100% on this and my gut tells me that is what a hand held light is for... but I still want to ask. I have seen some with Dawson and some with Novaks. They say the Novaks ride higher so you can still use of of the holsters you have for standard guns.

AZ Husker
11-03-2010, 21:53
You can't use either with a well-boned custom holster. Why have a light rail if you're not going to carry a light?

Spiffums
11-03-2010, 22:04
I have decided I'm going to treat myself to a Wilson because i may never have the chance to again. i just want to get all my ducks in a row and make sure I buy/order exactly what i want.

GJ1981
11-04-2010, 06:31
I wouldn't worry about the "heresy" of a 1911 with something useful like a LR. I will never understand the "looks" issues, function > form, but that's another topic.

You have the right idea in getting it done right the first time. I carried a railed 1911 for sometime and it wasn't as bad a some people make it out to be. With the selection of holsters available, you'll have no trouble finding a quality one for use.

I will tell you, Wilson will NOT installed the bolt-on style rails. I asked about having it done to my CQB before I took another route and was told they wouldn't even warranty the frame if it was done.

This was this summer so I doubt anything changed.

Spiffums
11-04-2010, 06:58
So I would need to get someone like Dawson Precision or someone to install it, unless I can get a master machinist here to fix it.

I DO NOT plan to let a bubba near it if I go this route.

GJ1981
11-04-2010, 08:00
So I would need to get someone like Dawson Precision or someone to install it, unless I can get a master machinist here to fix it.

I would check with Wilson again, they may have changed their policy or I could have gotten bad info.

Dawson would be a good choice, so would SA Custom Shop or John Harrison...to name a few that should have good turnaround times.

Spiffums
11-04-2010, 12:24
I got an email from Wilson today. They said there is 2 options to getting a CQB with light rail. #1 Order the CQBRL or #2 buy an aftermarket rail and they would install it.

So they have changed their policy.

But I figured out you can get the bushing barrel on the light rail frame so is probably (99% sure) the route I will go.

swinokur
11-04-2010, 14:20
Surefire makes a light bracket for 1911's.

Here are some holster makers who do holsters with lights

www.comp-tac.com
www.themalabarfront.com
www.sidearmor.com
www.safariland.com
www.akerleather.com

jsykes
11-04-2010, 15:58
Yes, you can get a standard CQB with a rail, I have one. Its a great gun and I got mine just so it would always be an option for me cause I can always leave a light off if I dont need it, but cant add a light if I do want one if I dont have the rail.

http://www.jimsykes.com/images/wilson.jpg

Spiffums
11-04-2010, 16:24
Yes, you can get a standard CQB with a rail, I have one. Its a great gun and I got mine just so it would always be an option for me cause I can always leave a light off if I dont need it, but cant add a light if I do want one if I dont have the rail.

http://www.jimsykes.com/images/wilson.jpg

That is my exact thoughts! I still haven't made up my mind about it though. I got a Kimber TLE that has been solid.......knock on wood that I could put a rail on if I really had a need for a rail.

I know I ramble back and forth but maybe someone will see something I missed in my thought process.................... and if I needed a gun with a rail there is a the SA Operator or Kimber Warrior.

Hokie1911
11-04-2010, 16:28
I'm sure Dave (drc) would give you a good price on a Guncrafter American. Build quality would be right there with the Wilson.