Remington 870 lock up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 lock up

Shockdoc
11-03-2010, 22:02
I was in my first 3 gun match this weekend and had problems with my nearly new Remington 870 Marine Magnum 12g. I was shooting 2 3/4" bird shot and later slugs. The action nearly always jammed locking the slide closed. With much effort of forcing it a little forward then pulling back hard it would cycle. This added a lot to my time and was very tiring. Another competitor offered me his gun it was so bad. Any suggestions?

mixflip
11-03-2010, 23:17
Buy a Mossberg! Just kidding I couldnt resist.

hmmmm? One of the armorers should be along soon to answer this one.

mlyon55
11-03-2010, 23:23
Do you have a mag extension? Do you have a side saddle? If you had a tacstar saddle the screws maybe too tight. This will make it very hard to cycle and it will jam. Rivets at the end of the stock mag tube may have not been ground down enough causing poor feeding which also causes jams. Just my experiences, the only time I ever had a 870 jam.

aippi
11-04-2010, 09:29
Jam is a general term so it is hard to tell you the issue. If you mean after the round was fired it was hard to extract then the fix is simple. Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "install and Cleaning" make a polishing rod like on that link and use it. Problem soloved. If this is not the issue then I can check a couple things with you if you call me and have the weapon in front of you. Number is on the web site.

Shockdoc
11-04-2010, 21:08
aippi, thank you. I will check your link. The gun is smooth when cycling empty or unfired rounds but often nearly cannot move the forend after firing a round. It looked clean and was cleaned prior to use but perhaps not well. I will work on it this weekend. I have shot and cleaned a lot of different weapons but this is my first shotgun., Thank you.

aippi
11-04-2010, 22:46
Extraction issue. That home made polishing rod on my web site will fix you up. I use it every time I clean my weapon. Have never had an issue not even with cheap Winchester Universal. In fact, I buy that mess deliberately and use it to test fire my custom builds. When a weapon leaves my shop I know it will extract that mess so there will be no extraction issues.

Meat-Hook
11-05-2010, 16:48
If you stop the video at 1:34 you can see a similar problem. Looks like they are using birdshot. Dont know if thats the reason for the problem, low brass ect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxN_r-Lk_RU

Boxerglocker
11-05-2010, 17:18
Jam is a general term so it is hard to tell you the issue. If you mean after the round was fired it was hard to extract then the fix is simple. Go to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "install and Cleaning" make a polishing rod like on that link and use it. Problem soloved. If this is not the issue then I can check a couple things with you if you call me and have the weapon in front of you. Number is on the web site.

Extraction issue. That home made polishing rod on my web site will fix you up. I use it every time I clean my weapon. Have never had an issue not even with cheap Winchester Universal. In fact, I buy that mess deliberately and use it to test fire my custom builds. When a weapon leaves my shop I know it will extract that mess so there will be no extraction issues.

Great link J.D. very good information... I really like that method if cleaning and polishing.